Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
IwantMORE

Online Database question
Is there a way of updating a database running on a website from a loclal webserver IIS or Apache?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
rg3
Re: Online Database question
MySQL for sure and probably most of the database servers you can find today allow connecting from a remote machine, so you should be able to update a database from anywhere on the internet if you properly configure it.

You could use a PHP client inside a local Apache webserver to connect to a MySQL remote server, for example.

If you do these things, be aware of the security factors and try to encrypt the connection and restrict who can connect to the server.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Cassius
I don't think he wants the updates to be done via PHP running through Apache, but solely from IIS or Apache.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Cassius
You might try finding an Apache module to do this or write one of your own.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
IwantMORE

It's not realy an issue any more, I have a client that I wrote a DB update app in ASP running on his computer which he then uploads the database to the website.

Then someone managed to totaly screw his system up and reset the webserver so he can't update his (MS) database.

But he has decided to buy a new computer and I'll re-install it when it arrives, and probably put Apache on while I'm at it.

But I'll be developing a new system soon and trying to get him to switch his server over to Linux rather than MS and will do it in MSQL/PHP.

But he likes having a local version to so he can do print out of stuff from the database so I guess the BIG question is what's the best way to set up and online and off line database and keep them synced up? Especially as the new system will probably have multiple people entering data.

But I'm thinking it's gonna be best to do it all online with maybe some way of dumping the online database down to the local site so it's semi-synced.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Cassius
Why not just use the one online, can't he just do prints from there? There doesn't seem to be a real need for another one.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #7
CronoMan
You can use the MSSQL Enterprise Manager to manually configure anything on the SQL Server locally.