Old 03-14-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
Scooter
AHA! Finally beat it!
After 3 months I bought Resident Evil 4 I finally managed to sit a while and finish this game (College kept me busy, sorry).

Man, I have to say this has to be the most intense, beautiful, entertaining game I have played in a looooong time, and actually feel a little sad when finishing it.

The graphics, the story, the characters, every fu#$%g thing is near perfection, I can't tell how I enjoyed this game, right now I'm playing the unlocked minigames, which are quite fun too.

I won't ruin it for you if you haven't played, so I won’t tell any spoilers. All I have to say is that I'm love with this astonishing game, its great, really, something that isn't that usual in today's games.

This game is one of the rare few that I am completely satisified with from beginning to end.

My JFDuke3D Models.
Current JFDuke3D model WIP:
scuba mask
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
ADM

Re: AHA! Finally beat it!
I'm up to chapter 3-2 -- getting there.. playing about a chapter a week or so.
ADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Paroxysm

My mates and have been playing it for a few hours a week (play until you die, pass the controller). We're up to 5-2. We hope to finish soon. It is a fantastic game.

this is what i think of you ^&%&%^*@#^%*@#%^#@^& - dukeonly
Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
NetNessie

Still waiting for its Australian release...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:37 AM   #5
BioHazard
Released here in UK in 3 days. Can't wait.
BioHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Paroxysm

Quote:
NetNessie said:
Still waiting for its Australian release...
Supposed to be next week I believe. Although it's cheaper to import

Old 03-15-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
seregrail7

Quote:
Gilgamesh said:

seregrail7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
Scooter
Quote:
Gilgamesh said:
You guys are gonna love it, I have never played a game like this before, its like playing a movie.

My JFDuke3D Models.
scuba mask
Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
Claws
I finished it a while ago, and while I don't want to be the pessimist here, I must say I was very disappointed by the new direction the game took, not so much the new atmosphere, as I loved the village and the other settings, but the new action oriented gameplay. The game is NOT scary at all. Survival horror for this game is a misnomer. If you're like me, a gamer that thrives on horror, this game will sorely disappoint in that department. Other than that, the game is very fun.
Claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
Scooter
Quote:
Claws said:
I finished it a while ago, and while I don't want to be the pessimist here, I must say I was very disappointed by the new direction the game took, not so much the new atmosphere, as I loved the village and the other settings, but the new action oriented gameplay. The game is NOT scary at all. Survival horror for this game is a misnomer. If you're like me, a gamer that thrives on horror, this game will sorely disappoint in that department. Other than that, the game is very fun.
I agree with you Claws, knowing the resident evil series from the beginning, I also felt that the horror factor in this game was somewhat reduced, actually other games in the series scared me more.

However, this is well compensated during the game by so many things, that I really can’t complain.

In essence, the “survival horror” focus is still there, and strongest than ever, I felt so threatened during the game that I hardly rested, and that’s something I really enjoyed.

My JFDuke3D Models.
scuba mask
Old 03-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #11
Paroxysm

Quote:
Claws said:
I found it much scarier than the other resident evils. You cactually felt like you were being swarmed in hopeless situations in this gaem. Plus there's very little in th cheap scare department. Just creepy. Rises and falls so you're not on edge the whole time. Just the little details in the character design is probably the biggest source of tension. Very cool. But then I hate the other RE games :P Seem totally cheap with frustration gameplay to me.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #12
Claws
Actually this has been happening with the RE series ever since the first sequel. Basically every new sequel focuses less on horror and more on action.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:59 AM   #13
Scooter
Man, the remake really freaked me out...

My JFDuke3D Models.
scuba mask
Old 03-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
seregrail7

Got it today. Great so far, heads exploding, bodies flying, heads exploding some more. I'm in heaven.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #15
NetNessie

Still waiting for Australia....!
Old 03-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #16
Scooter
Quote:
seregrail7 said:
Got it today. Great so far, heads exploding, bodies flying, heads exploding some more. I'm in heaven.
lol

My JFDuke3D Models.
scuba mask
Old 03-19-2005, 03:09 AM   #17
seregrail7

Tiny spoiler:
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> I love when you blow a Gandos head off when he has red eyes. That monster thing is great. </td></tr></table>
Bigger Spoiler:
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> That fight against the Village Chief was great. Very cool looking enemy, althoguh I think how I killed him made the fight so coo. I had barely any ammo, and was about to die. So I noticed that barrel that I never blew up, so when he got close I shot it, and it killed him. It seemed like something from a cutscene. </td></tr></table>

Old 03-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #18
seregrail7

Finished it earlier. 14 hours altogether. Great ending, I loved all the boss fights in it. Can't wait to play through again.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #19
Paroxysm

My mates and I reached the <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> fight with the army dude in the ruins (I care not for names!) </td></tr></table> last night. It was awesome but my friend who was playing sucked badly So anyone who's finished estimate how much longer we've got?

Old 03-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #20
Twin

i can't beleive how GOOD this game LOOKS....gameplay aside (even though i LOVE the new direction, i think this game is near perfect), the graphics are just amazing, i honestly couldn't beleive how good this game looked when i first loaded it, i just sat there thinking it was still a cut scene then i moved the control stick and HOLY S**T it was IN GAME GRAPHICS!

this HAS to be the best looking game to date in my opinion, beats doom 3, half-life 2, far cry, halo and just about any other game u think of with good graphics...i didn't even know the gamecube had so much power inside of it....too bad no other developer ever seems to make the most of the system....as a matter of fact only capcom really ever seem to bring the mostout of ANY system...the best looking ps2 games are by capcom aswell and it would be the same for the x-box but capcom havn't really been supporting it too much which is a shame because we probably could've seen an even better looking resi evil 4 on the x-box

"Cha'mone MuthaF**KAH! heeee heeee"

"He clobbers the mob as....BLACK BELT JONES!"
Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #21
Claws
Yes the graphics are really good, on TV. The textures themselves aren't that sharp. Scanlines make everything look nice.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #22
NetNessie

Quick question, was the PS2 version of RE4 cancelled or is it still in production?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:53 PM   #23
Paroxysm

Still in production. You'd be lucky to see an english release this year though it seems.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #24
NetNessie

Yah, it does look like it'll turn out to be a 2006 release.

Well it appears Australias release is March 24th according to Nintendo.com.au. Only two more days or waiting.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #25
Paroxysm

hehehe yeah I was at an EB last week and it seems that all the emplyees had mported it beggining of the year like I did :P Why wait when it's going to be more expensive anyway?

Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #26
Scooter
Quote:
Twin said:
i can't beleive how GOOD this game LOOKS....gameplay aside (even though i LOVE the new direction, i think this game is near perfect), the graphics are just amazing, i honestly couldn't beleive how good this game looked when i first loaded it, i just sat there thinking it was still a cut scene then i moved the control stick and HOLY S**T it was IN GAME GRAPHICS!
Same here, I'm amazed how this game looks, sure it beats all tha graphics I've seen to date.

My JFDuke3D Models.
scuba mask
Old 03-25-2005, 02:50 AM   #27
Twin

Quote:
Claws said:
Yes the graphics are really good, on TV. The textures themselves aren't that sharp. Scanlines make everything look nice.
why this is true all that really matters is how it looks through your eyes right?

at the end of the day the textures may not be as sharp as half-life 2 and the shadows may not be as super realistic as doom 3 but at the end of the day if you put all the games side by side, resi evil 4 looks the best and if the scan lines on a tv make it look better...then that even better i'm not complaining lol

"Cha'mone MuthaF**KAH! heeee heeee"

"He clobbers the mob as....BLACK BELT JONES!"
Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:05 AM   #28
Gatinater

I've been playing on my pc monitor tapped through an external TV tuner. I think it looks like ass, because it seems to have a very short draw distance. I can only see about a foot in front of leon.

I'm a bit disapointed by the title. Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3 were Resident Evil at it's best.
Gatinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:25 AM   #29
Paroxysm

Quote:
Gatinater said:
I've been playing on my pc monitor tapped through an external TV tuner. I think it looks like ass, because it seems to have a very short draw distance. I can only see about a foot in front of leon.

I'm a bit disapointed by the title. Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3 were Resident Evil at it's best.
What the hell are you talking about? Some areas in RE4 are huge and the draw distance is so far away that you'd be lucky to see its effect in the game.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:36 AM   #30
Sheikah
Quote:
Claws said:
Actually this has been happening with the RE series ever since the first sequel. Basically every new sequel focuses less on horror and more on action.
my reason not to get it.. read the description of the game (on the back of the box)

1. forget the horror - this is ACTION (aaw)

2. FORGET Racoon city (... the hell?!?)

3. forget hordes of zombies (.. eew..)

so I figured point 4 (in my book) should be: forget the game..
Old 03-25-2005, 05:36 AM   #31
Paroxysm

Quote:
1. forget the horror - this is ACTION (aaw)
Yes it's action focussed gameplay. Still plenty of horror, unless you're hard to creep out in which case the RE series was never scary anyway.

Quote:
2. FORGET Racoon city (... the hell?!?)
It got nuked remember. Location had to change.

Quote:
3. forget hordes of zombies (.. eew..)
More hordes than any other game in the series.

Quote:
so I figured point 4 (in my book) should be: forget the game..
Eh, suit yourself.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:46 AM   #32
seregrail7

Quote:
Gatinater said:

Most gmaes look like ass through a tv tuner. And saying you can only see 1 foot in front of you is a stupid lie.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #33
Sheikah
Well, I *will* play it eventually - I love those games.. my favorite is still RE1 though hehe.. can't beat the tyrant (tho' William put up a good fight as well).. Aye, I remember it getting nuked, but still.. all the other games took place it's vicinity... it's kinda sad to let it go
Old 03-26-2005, 12:19 AM   #34
Scooter
Personally I think is just the story flow, and I feel that the changes on it were necessary, I like the new direction that the RE series took and that whole “Not gonna play it cuz there are no zombies” thing is judging before actually knowing, I like the crazy villagers better.

Besides all opinions capcom made a damn nice game that I'm still enjoying.

I just hope that RE5 keeps the quality set by its predecessor...

My JFDuke3D Models.
scuba mask
Old 03-26-2005, 08:25 AM   #35
ADM

I'm about 6 or 7 hours into it.. just need to get time to play through it. Been quite busy and can never sit down. I think I'm going to have a VERY long session with it in the next couple of days and finish it off.
ADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #36
NetNessie

Quote:
Sheikah said:
Well, I *will* play it eventually - I love those games.. my favorite is still RE1 though hehe.. can't beat the tyrant (tho' William put up a good fight as well).. Aye, I remember it getting nuked, but still.. all the other games took place it's vicinity... it's kinda sad to let it go
The story did have to mature and move foward. Everything thing after the first RE was just another step in the story. RE4 is a whole new chapter.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #37
Paroxysm

Finished it last night. The unlockables are cool so I'll still be playing for a while Last 2 chapters were a real dissapointment though. Not bad per say just couldn't match some of the earlier stuff from the game. Last boss was probably the easiest one in the damn game, unless <table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> the fact we'd saved about 100 rounds of magnum ammo for the last section of the game </td></tr></table> particulary turned the fight in our favour.

Still freaking fantastic game.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:25 PM   #38
Scooter
ha! I'm almost done with "The Mercenaries"!
<table><tr><th><font size="-1">Spoiler below:</font></th></tr><tr><td class="spoiler"> I think you get the Hand Cannon (game's most powerful weapon) after beating Mercenaries with 5 star rank </td></tr></table>

My JFDuke3D Models.
scuba mask
Old 03-28-2005, 12:54 AM   #39
Gatinater

Quote:
seregrail7 said:
Quote:
Gatinater said:

Most gmaes look like ass through a tv tuner. And saying you can only see 1 foot in front of you is a stupid lie.
I'm not lieing. That's the way it seems to me. I can see stuff at a distance, but it's blocky and out of focus. It literally looks like the real world to me when I take my glasses off. It's like simulated near sight.

I supose if your severly near sighted You would never noticed, because your not capable of seeing anything far away anyways. If you have no depth perception it doesn't matter. You may see reality with the same clearity and not realize it. So there would be no to even be aware of the poor distance and depth clearity. Unless you go get your eyes checked.

Or you simply may not have been spoiled by the endless high resolution view distance of PC games.
Gatinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:53 AM   #40
seregrail7

Oh, I have been spoiled by that. It always takes me awhile to get used to the lower resolution on consoles, Resi 4 was easier to ajust to, what's it like playing on a t.v? I played at my friends on his t.v tuner, and it looked horrible.