Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #1121
Morbid

Re: Alan Wake - Remedy's New Game
No one said that Remedy wanted to can the PC version. But do not underestimate the power of the publisher. Serious Sam 2 turned out the cartooney kiddish game that it is, because 2K wanted it so. Bioshock 1&2 suffered from low FOV and other things for a reason. The reason of being focused to what the publisher wants. The reason why "The Darkness 2" looks so bad with a FOV of 45. The reason why there are no mod tools, editor, dev console, DoF fix for DNF, after so much begging. So it is the case with AW. They were being paid to focus all their resources on developing the game for the XBOX, not for the PC. And that means that every aspect of the game -gameplay, -graphics, -limitations etc, etc, were decided with the XBOX in mind at any point of the development. What they 've done in the period that they are working it for the PC is to be seen. But I highly doubt it that they can interfere at this point in the core gameplay or in the story, meaning that in the very core of it, it will remain a console port.
Last edited by Morbid; 02-01-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #1122
crunchy superman

No doubt that publishers tend to steer games away from where most of us PC gamers would like. Believe me, I gripe about it as much as you do. But then, they are the ones paying the developer for their work, so they have the right to go after the markets they see giving them the most return on their investment. I dare say we'd do the same putting up that much money. And as much as I hate publishers sometimes, let us not forget what forum we're posting on and the dangers of not having publisher direction and deadlines. The trick is a healthy balance - not a shitty console port and not endless development with no discipline.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #1123
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
No one said that Remedy wanted to can the PC version. But do not underestimate the power of the publisher. Serious Sam 2 turned out the cartooney kiddish game that it is, because 2K wanted it so. Bioshock 1&2 suffered from low FOV and other things for a reason. The reason of being focused to what the publisher wants. The reason why "The Darkness 2" looks so bad with a FOV of 45. The reason why there are no mod tools, editor, dev console, DoF fix for DNF, after so much begging. So it is the case with AW. They were being paid to focus all their resources on developing the game for the XBOX, not for the PC. And that means that every aspect of the game -gameplay, -graphics, -limitations etc, etc, were decided with the XBOX in mind at any point of the development. What they 've done in the period that they are working it for the PC is to be seen. But I highly doubt it that they can interfere at this point in the core gameplay or in the story, meaning that in the very core of it, it will remain a console port.
Nobody is arguing that Microsoft were the ones who directed Alan Wake away from a PC release.
Yes, publishers pull the strings... that's what happens when they pay the bills.

But, the implication in which you say "console port" is negative. And that's an unjustified bias.
Just because a game is a port doesn't mean it's bad.
This is something I will continue to say for as long as I can. Being a port does not make a game bad, or of poor quality. The stability of a game (port or not) falls onto the developers.
Yes, Alan Wake will in a sense be a port of the console version. But, that in no way means it will be a bad game, lack stability or be poor in quality. It just means it's a port.

The Chronicles of Riddick on PC was a port of the Xbox version. And it's a fantastic game. And the same can be said for dozens of other games.

Again, being a port does not make a game bad. Poor direction during development makes a game bad. Put the blame on the developers and publishers when bad ports come around.
But don't instantly throw around the phrase "console port" with a negative connotation just because it's a port.

Yes, Alan Wake will be a port. But, it's Remedy. There's no reason to believe it will lack in quality of stability. And the game itself is already fantastic.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Dying Light, Hellraid, Dead Island 2, FarCry 4
Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #1124
Malgon

Game is set for a steam release on the 16th of February, with a retail release date still to be announced.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #1125
Thief

Alan Wake (with both DLCs) - DRM Free on GOG.com for $14.99 (Reg $29.99) until May 15th.

Hell of a release. Hell of a deal. Glad I waited.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.