Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Gaming Topics > Prey

Old 03-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
Former 3DR Staff

Interview with Tim Gerritsen Available
In addition to today's latest editon of the Prey Weekly Update series, we also have a short interview with Tim Gerritsen of Human Head. He talks about the overall game concept, multiplayer features, weapons, downloadable content plans and more. Here's a few morsels:

"Absolutely we'll have downloadable content (on Xbox Live). The extent of it really depends on how the game does, but we have plans to support the game with new characters, maps, skins and more. If the game does well, we definitely want to add new multiplayer modes."

"We're releasing the sdk and editor (Preditor) for Prey PC and will be actively supporting the mod community. However, to really make mod materials, you'd need a full keyboard and mouse set up, so the majority of the mods are developed for PC."

"There will be a demo on PC and 360, though dates have not yet been confirmed. We've not announced our next game yet, but the reaction to Prey had led to some very unique opportunities for us. We would love to see Xbox Live Tournaments for Prey and support them in general. I'd like to have a nice spectator lounge, though, with cocktails. "

Tim tells more in the full interview, available over at totally360.com. Check it out!

http://www.totally360.com/gameinfo.p...&interviewid=3

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Last edited by Joe Siegler; 03-25-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Kristian Joensen

Re: Interview with Tim Gerritsen Available
I saw this already, it is a pretty interesting inteview.
A Refutation of Moral Relativism
(Transcript)
Kristian Joensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
ultra tree 85!

Thanks for the link. Great interview.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
Here's a few morcels:
"morsels"
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Kalki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Maniac536
Demos are very good. Hopefully a pre-release!

-Maniac
Old 03-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Kristian Joensen

No, it won't be pre-release. That is just not feasible to do these days, it is to big of an distraction from the actuall development of the game.
A Refutation of Moral Relativism
(Transcript)
Kristian Joensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
Ronald McDonald

Quote:
Technically we have 8 weapons in Prey, though the final weapon, the Leech Gun
Only 8 weapons Leech gun is the final weapon? WTF

"Sikterlan, ipné!!!" - Sammy the Turk
Ronald McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Adabiviak

Eight weapons are plenty if they are different enough. You've got the standards:
1) Melee weapons (crowbar, wrench, gauntlet, knife)
2) Pistols (just enough to get you started in the game, or substitute sniper rifle)
3) Shotguns (the staple of any FPS)
4) Machine Guns (sustained attack, medium to long range including chainguns and flamethrowers)
5) Grenades (proximity, remote, timed, launchers optional)
6) Rocket launchers (long range only, some upgrades include tracking)
7) BFGs (Soul Cube, BFG10K, Singularity Cannon, Dark Matter Weapon)
8) Sniper Rifles (extreme long distance, long reload times for balance)

These standards can be the subject of a huge debate, but the idea remains: there are only so many ways to dress up a chaingun. Eight weapons is plenty, and remember that many of them have alternate fire modes that makes them behave like another weapon, perhaps doubling the number of different weapons available. Personally, I like different 'skins' for guns (the slime-firing shotgun, although it will be used tactically like a normal shotgun, is still a nice change). F.E.A.R. had a rather limited variety of weapons, but that game is still quite enjoyable. Unreal II had a rather large variety of weapons, which meant many of them went unused. From what I've seen in the previews, I think the weapon selection in Prey will be fine.
Adabiviak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Ronald McDonald

Would 8 be acceptable if it would be DNF? I THINK NOT

Old 03-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Adabiviak

...never played Duke Nukem. How many different weapons did it have?
Old 03-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald McDonald
Would 8 be acceptable if it would be DNF? I THINK NOT
I'm sure it wouldn't be enough in DNF, indeed...

But...

This is Prey, so that's different, isn't it..!
And anyone who have tried/seen the game haven't made any complaints about the weapons...
We also don't know if Spirit Wall can be concidered as a "weapon", so it might be 9 weapons in all...

And we KNOW that every weapon (except spirit walk bow) has an alternate fire mode... If those alternate functions are different enough, then it would be like have 16 weapons...
The Leech gun, will also have these 4 nodes to get new firing functions... So it's not just "one weapon" at all...

So, i think there's absolutely nothing to worry about with Prey's weapons... (unless you're talking about models)
Old 03-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
Ronald McDonald

10 is a minimum, 11-15 is a plus IMO
8? come on!!! Dont they have more ideas for weapons or is it to save some time and get it done quicker? I hope not

Old 03-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
Micki!

Did you even try to understand my above explantion..?!
I mean, isn't more than 16 weapon functions enough..?!

Besides, as long they're funny to use, it's no big deal with how many weapons there are...
Old 03-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
psyborg

8 should suffice, specially with the leech gun being more like 4 and the rest having alt fires. is the spirit crossbow included in that 8 count?

I got my violence in hi-def ultra-realism
psyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
Parkar

Quote:
10 is a minimum, 11-15 is a plus IMO
8? come on!!! Dont they have more ideas for weapons or is it to save some time and get it done quicker? I hope not
Please mention one FPS where there is more then 10 guns that is acualy any good and also not the same gun with two different looks. I would much rather have few well thought out guns that is usfull then a whole bunch of similar guns with less polish. I always end up using just a few of the guns no matter how many there actualy is.
Parkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
Cerberus_e

Not to mention it's difficult to switch guns in the middle of combat with more than 10 guns. In HL you have to look at the image of the gun before you can select it, that slows it down, while with 10 weapons you can just press the appropriate key and you'll wield the gun.
Now you can say you can remember all key combinations too for HL, but that's not true, since when one of the weapons is empty, or not found yet, the amount of times you have to press a certain key will be different
Cerberus_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #17
Ronald McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkar
Please mention one FPS where there is more then 10 guns that is acualy any good and also not the same gun with two different looks. I would much rather have few well thought out guns that is usfull then a whole bunch of similar guns with less polish. I always end up using just a few of the guns no matter how many there actualy is.
When a fps has about 15 guns, does it mean they're mostly similar? Doesen't have to be. It all depends on the developers creativity. Having lots of guns and all being very different but not all very practical is much more enjoyable than just having 8 that are very usefull and diferent IMO

DNF with just 8 weapons woulden't even be acceptable. You must be able to play with lots of guns in a game like DNF IMO.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:53 AM   #18
Cerberus_e

Quote:
Having lots of guns and all being very different but not all very practical is much more enjoyable than just having 8 that are very usefull and diferent IMO
I don't agree, I always hate it how I never used some of the guns in games because they included a lot of useless ones (no need to use them in combat, when you're better off using a normal gun, some of Blood's guns for example have that problem, I think it's also called leech gun).
Old 03-27-2006, 06:37 AM   #19
hell-angel

I agree with Cerberus_e here, more is definately not allways better, espcially when you don't use some of it.
hell-angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #20
Cerberus_e

And even worse is superweapons, I don't like Quake 4's dark matter gun (it's cool to shoot but destroys the challenge of the game).
Duke3D does also have that problem, but I want to make an exception for the devastator because it depletes so fast
Old 03-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #21
Adabiviak

The Dark Matter Gun made my first run through the game enjoyable. The Tower Guardian, for example, would have been entirely too hard without it (until I figured out his tactics and could work around them with smaller weapons). As my skill levels increased, my dependence on the DMG lessened. Sometimes, if I'm playing for a speed run, chasing after a DMG munition down a long corridor of doomed enemies is pretty fun.

As long as we're on the subject of weapons, please mention weapons that were truly unique - not a variation of a standard type of weapon. The Needler from Halo comes to mind for me. Yes, it behaved kind of like a light machine gun (difference: slower, tracking munitions), but the impacts were delayed and you had to hit the target with x amount (10, I think) needles to make an explosion. I love using that weapon for the challenge of unloading a full clip into a target to get the full three explosions. You can't be too far away or the explosions will start before the last needles arrive, and you can't be too close because you may damage yourself or the target may charge/attack you. Unique! What's another? Gravity gun from Half Life 2? Better for realistic physics, but the gravity gun from Doom 3: ROE had the bonus of being able to catch enemy munitions and return fire.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 AM   #22
hell-angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus_e
And even worse is superweapons, I don't like Quake 4's dark matter gun (it's cool to shoot but destroys the challenge of the game).
Duke3D does also have that problem, but I want to make an exception for the devastator because it depletes so fast
That and explosions are so much cooler then implosions.
hell-angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:49 AM   #23
Kalki

Duke Forever's gonna have the nuke! Boom!
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Kalki is offline   Reply With Quote