Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Prey Weekly Update #18
Hi everyone, welcome to another Prey Weekly Update. I'll have you know that this is not Project Lead Chris Rhinehart speaking (or typing) to you right now, he is currently a bit swamped at E3 showing off the madness and mayhem of Prey. This here's Eli Quinn, I am an artist at Human Head Studios. I worked mainly on the environmental textures in the game, along with various skins, GUI's, etcetera.

The art tasks for Prey are pretty much wrapped up so the art staff is focused on playtesting right now. We have a number of XBox 360 development kits in the office so we're banging on Venom's version of the game. It looks and sounds great. Although I'm a PC gamer at heart it is a refreshing change. Speaking of the PC version, we are certainly still tearing into it as well. With a portion of our staff gone at E3, Prey Art Lead Rowan Atalla has taken on the not-so-glamorous burden of compiling the list of bugs and fixes. I'm sure that his nigh-legendary coffee intake has only increased in light of that!

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2006/05...update_18.html

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 05-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Micki!

Re: Prey Weekly Update #18
Heh, that was more amusing than informative (sp) Nothing wrong with that at all though...
Great work, for making this article sound funny Eli...

PS
Gotta say this again, Ashley's pic of the Shpere is awesome...
Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Well, with the guys mostly all tied up with E3, it was a rush job to get anything out at all. To be honest, I was expecting there not to be any update at all this week.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Cerberus_e

You can't be harmed by physical bodies in spiritwalk mode? That's new to me. It's probably only in multiplayer then, but sounds like a fun gameplay addition (for multiplayer at least).
Old 05-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Eli Quinn
Human Head Staff

Yeah, Chris called me up and said I should write something. I've really just been testing a lot so I thought I'd add a touch of whimsy

One thing I forgot to mention is that Human Head is going to be moving our offices to a new building in Madison quite soon so people are packing their stuff up and such.

Exciting, I know
Old 05-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Just don't forget anythign criticle to PREY when you guys move.

I liked this update, it was different but that's why I liked it. And as someone who went to college for art (and plans on more) it was nice to here some stuff from an art designer.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 05-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Micki!

I liked the way it was written this week... There should be more personal opinions and stuf imo...

Btw, i guess it's good news that you guys are moving offices...
Just keep your stuff in a good order... I remember (correct me if i'm wrong) 3DR lost some stuff (not really lost, but more, "forgot" the stuff) when they moved, and rarely finds some stuff now and then... Like old photos, objects etc (Even games; Wanton Destruction )
Old 05-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Snafu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Quinn
Yeah, Chris called me up and said I should write something. I've really just been testing a lot so I thought I'd add a touch of whimsy

One thing I forgot to mention is that Human Head is going to be moving our offices to a new building in Madison quite soon so people are packing their stuff up and such.

Exciting, I know
I could hold onto Prey so you don't lose it during the move if you like. I'm only 2000 miles away, you could just swing by one day.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Eli Quinn
Human Head Staff

The new place is going to be awesome, it's in an old train station building and there is a caboose in the lobby

A CABOOSE!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Micki!

Quote:
The new place is going to be awesome, it's in an old train station building and there is a caboose in the lobby

A CABOOSE!
Hahaha, that's cool...
I'd really want to see some pics of that place as soon you guys get there...

And the caboose is part of the actual building..? That's REALLY cool...
Old 05-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
ultra tree 85!

Quote:

A CABOOSE!
Yes, that's really cool. Good luck moving in.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #12
Kristian Joensen

Quote:

A CABOOSE!
That is pretty cool, as was you Weekly Update, you and your colleagues are doing a great job on Prey.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
ADM

Good stuff Eli Liked the update.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #14
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus_e
You can't be harmed by physical bodies in spiritwalk mode? That's new to me. It's probably only in multiplayer then, but sounds like a fun gameplay addition (for multiplayer at least).
I think it's in sp as well. How do you harm a spirit anyway? I am guessing the ghost enemies might be able to harm you though.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:55 AM   #15
Micki!

Didn't the player return to his body, if his spirit got hit..?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:16 AM   #16
Cerberus_e

In singleplayer, I thought you lost spiritpower when hit.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:42 AM   #17
Micki!

I'm not sure...
The way i got it, was that you returned to your body when your spirit got hit, and that arrow shots deplete spirit power... That said, Spirit power is like Arrow ammo...

If the spirit lost spirit power by getting hit, it would only make the chreokee bow un-usable(sp) since it's been confirmed that you can leave your body whenever you want, even if you don't have more spirit power...
Old 05-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #18
Parkar

No, your spirit can not be hit by regular projectiles. If your body gets hit you will return to your body. You lose spirit power when you shoot with the bow, just like Micki! said it's pretty much just ammo for the bow.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #19
Cerberus_e

I remember I read you also loose spirit power when being hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki!
I'm not sure...
If the spirit lost spirit power by getting hit, it would only make the chreokee bow un-usable(sp) since it's been confirmed that you can leave your body whenever you want, even if you don't have more spirit power...
Why would the spiritbow be useless then? You just make sure you're not hit, then
Old 05-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #20
Micki!

What i said above, was based on what i remembered...
I'm not completely sure that Parkar is all right though... If the spirit body can't get hit, it'd make the gameplay too easy/unfair... I'm sure i read somewhere that the spirit returns to body if it got hit... Either that or the spirit power/arrow ammo depletes...

Man, i'd like to know all this for sure...

Anyone from HHS or 3DR who'd mind telling us for sure..? Just to clear up the cunfusion...
Old 05-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #21
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Again, we can't tell you erverything, can we? You really want nothing to find out on your own?

Old 05-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #22
Singularity

Joe is right people , we should stop asking stuff about prey. Then when it comes out, everyone will be like"meh, Prey's so predictable"

we should ask some stuff about DNF

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves. -Mahatma Gandhi
Old 05-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #23
TarBaby4Ever
What ever happened to Question@prey or whatever the email addy was called !?? I have asked a few questions more then a few times and have still not had any of them answered.I do know that you guys and gals are busy,but its a simple one and not overly difficult to answer.... Will Prey properly support
widescreen resolutions and FOV to go with those res's ? I am thinking of 1680x1050 ? The default resolution of more then a few 20" WS lcd's that have been on the market for over two years now.Farcry did two plus years ago out of the box,with no need to hack INI files or any of that crap.....

Edit: Other then my q's I liked this weeks update allot !!!

Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #24
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
Again, we can't tell you erverything, can we? You really want nothing to find out on your own?
Of course i will find stuff out myself... I just wanna know this... just this... THIS!!!

I hate wondering too much about things... I guess that's part of the "hype" (wondering what a certain feature works like)
Old 05-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #25
FireFly

"Spirit power is depleted by using the Bow, or by taking damage from enemies."

http://www.3drealms.com/news/2006/04...ly_dev_16.html

In the videos Tommy doesn't lose spirit power when in his bodily form, and Eli Quinn specifies that:

"you can't be harmed by a physical body in that mode."

Which leads us to the issue of other spirit walking players...

John Carmack
Old 05-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #26
Micki!

So, that would mean, that if a spirit player attacked your spirit body, your actual physical player body would take damage..?
If so, that would add some new Multiplyer modes i could think of...
Old 05-14-2006, 06:50 AM   #27
FireFly

No, your spirit power would simply be depleted.

John Carmack
Old 05-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #28
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
No, your spirit power would simply be depleted.

I was refering to this:
Quote:
"you can't be harmed by a physical body in that mode."
So if you can't be harmed by a physical body (harmed like in Damaged/loosing heatlh) then perhaps spirit enemies could attack your spirit form, and you'll loose physical health power instead... While physical players will only "damage" your spirit power...

I get to this point, because that it has been confirmed that you can only kill spirit enemies when you're a spirit yourself (spirit enemies being the wraiths) So it might as well be reversed, that they can attack both your physical body, and your spirit body, thereby killing you...

This is just something i'm speculating about of course, and is not based on any real facts...
Old 05-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #29
FireFly

Well that relies on quite a specific interpretation of harm. If your interpretation is correct then Human Head are saying that you can "take damage" in the spirit mode, but not be harmed.

Additionally, it doesn't make sense for spirit based enemies to hit Tommy's spirit without damaging it (represented by a loss of spirit power), with only his physical body being damaged.

So whether or not spirit enemies can damage Tommy's health, you'd certainly expect them to be able to damage his spirit.

John Carmack
Old 05-14-2006, 07:39 AM   #30
Micki!

I guess what will happen if a spirit "damages" your spirit, it will just give the same effect as if a physical body hit it then...
Old 05-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #31
jazgour
Good Update,

Consequently, Mr. Quinn recieves the "Mr. Burns Excellence Award" in the field of Game Updating.
3drealms could learn something Mr. Quinns Update tactics...

Previous winner:

Animator Brian Shubat, for excellence in dedication during update #14.

Honorable Mensions:

Script Manager Mike Flynn, For excellence in dedication during update #15
Old 05-16-2006, 01:02 AM   #32
hell-angel

Great update.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:08 AM   #33
ShadeEX

great update Eli...

nice to hear something from an artist...
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 05-16-2006, 05:01 AM   #34
Malgon

An enjoyable update yet again. Keep it up guys.