Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Gaming Topics > Prey

Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
esteel

Question Would you spend money for a linux version?
Maybe numbers can help to show that there is need for a linux version.. So would you buy prey if there is a linux version?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Agemndon
Re: Would you spend money for a linux version?
GD: GameDeveloper
LG: LinuxGamers

GD: "There will be no port for Linux"
LG: "Oh, please, please make one!"
GD: "No! Too expensive, too much work, don't want to."
LG: "Oh, pleeeeeeeaaassseee. I'm not going to buy it, if there's not a Linux Port!"
GD: "No."
LG: "You leave us no different choice: we make a poll!"
GD: "Come on, get it: There will be no portation!"
LG: "So we make an Online Petition! You will see!"
GD: "..."

---------------------------------
There was already a "no"!
To bother the developers wont bring us much further.

I really want a port of Prey, too, but they wont make one.
Don't buy it then, or get it as an budget-title.

Ask as much developers/publishers as you want, and make as much polls as you want, but when there is a "no" - accept it.
By bothering the devs/publishers you will only make them sick of the LinuxCommunity.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Robertje
I don't see any need for a Linux version, I never liked Linux as a client. Just release a Linux dedicated server and I'm happy
Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
esteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemndon
There was already a "no"! To bother the developers wont bring us much further. By bothering the devs/publishers you will only make them sick of the LinuxCommunity.

I really want a port of Prey, too, but they wont make one.
Don't buy it then, or get it as an budget-title.
Do not get me wrong. I understand that there will not be a linux port and i do not demand one but being a software developer myself if feel ashamed to see such a great multi-platform engine not used to the full potential. I'm sure there are people that are involved with prey that feel the same way. I do not want to pester anyone but give those that share this view some ammunition and arguments for future games. And i hope that things will improve.
(Or maybe even someone changes their mind about prey. Now thats faint hope i admit it . )
For sure you are right that there are other ways then a poll like not buying a game which i will not do with the current situation. But that alone will not tell those deceiding why i did not buy it. Things will never change if noone raises a voice in a kind manner which i think i have done.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
SavageX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemndon
Ask as much developers/publishers as you want, and make as much polls as you want, but when there is a "no" - accept it.
By bothering the devs/publishers you will only make them sick of the LinuxCommunity.
No, insulting people because they won't support <insert your favorite OS here> would make them sick of <insert your community here>.

I think it's just fair to say "I'm interested in your product, but I only have use for it if <insert your needs here>". That's how any market works. Listening to potential customers is something very basic for any company. They're still free to only do things they think are viable options and I'll respect that even if I may disagree with their decisions.

However, just staying quiet will result in a) a company losing sales without noticing and b) you ending up without an interesting product.

In my case I don't have Windows installed, Prey in its current form is useless for me. I'm caring enough to try to make myself a tiny bleep on 3DRealms radar so they can monitor things and can decide upon whatever is going on.

edits: typos
Last edited by SavageX; 07-06-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Robertje
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageX
I think it's just fair to say "I'm interested in your product, but I only have use for it if <insert your needs here>". That's how any market works. Listening to potential customers is something very basic for any company.
This is very true. If there's a (potential) market for something, it's worth investigating. My humble opinion is though that the world is not yet ready for games on Linux (at least, not for big productions, like Prey is for example). First the business market needs to accept it, then, sooner or later the consumer market will follow (if ever).

From a marketing aspect, I don't see any reason why 3DR should make a Linux port for Prey. It's not worth the investment, if you'd ask me. No matter how hard Linux users try to prove others wrong, they are just a very small segment, that for now has to deal with the fact that games like Prey will only be available for Windows.

Just my two cents
Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
HahaURsoap
I'm not sure if the poll was worded properly...

Obviously Windows folks wouldn't buy a Linux version.... Much like I wouldn't buy a Mac version, or a Mac person wouldnt buy a Windows version... Who needs a version that doesn't match their computer? No one.

I added my vote anyways of course, but I think it would be good enough to have an "I'd be willing to buy a linux version if it was available" option... That way you have numbers of people who would buy a copy, which is what really matters.

Of course, to make it a reliable figure, they'd have to allow anonymous votes and then they'd have to ask the question on slashdot.... My guess is you'd get a surprisingly large number indeed, plus they'd be probably get some free advertising out of the deal.

By now, most linux peeps who went through the trouble of registering have left this forum, assuming that there's no chance, so I doubt they'll be many votes.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
thechef
Quote:
hehe, of course "Stupid geeks, they want to buy our game for Linux, i hate them"

@Robertje

Why can't the gamer-market be earlier than business-market? And why can't it happen at the same time. Does not sound like normal economy for me.

I think It's different. Gamers are computer users with more knowledge than an average user and the Gamer market uses released software earlier.

And your text looks like it was written 7 years ago. The situation is different today, especially for a game like prey. _Every other game_ that uses the same engine as prey is released for Linux.

edit:

It does not matter how many vote for the "other" two options. You need absolute numbers to calculate.
Last edited by thechef; 07-06-2006 at 02:45 PM.
thechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
HahaURsoap
I guess I'd rather them be sick of me and notice that there is a market than have them be content to not awknowledge the linux market at all...

If they are, in fact, sick of us they could just spare themselves and release a client like everyone else has with this engine... Simple..

If you don't speak up, no one will notice there's a problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
9Nails
Missing poll option: Hybrid / Windows and Linux executables.

I would like to run SuSE SLED 10 for my desktop. And I plan on migrating to it instead of Windows Vista. But not this year. Perhaps I'll make this switch on a new hard drive or new computer early next year.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
esteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertje
From a marketing aspect, I don't see any reason why 3DR should make a Linux port for Prey. It's not worth the investment, if you'd ask me.
My honest question to that is "What investment???". The question is not to you though. id software already did all the work to make the d3/q4 engine multiplatform. Unless this multiplatform support was ****ed up during the prey development the 'investment' is as much as getting a linux computer (i guess 3dr already has one ) and compiling the engine. Of course there is a need to make it available somehow and at least give as little support as a readme stating 'could kill your computer' but other companies have showed this is not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaURsoap
I'm not sure if the poll was worded properly...
Of course, to make it a reliable figure, they'd have to allow anonymous votes and then they'd have to ask the question on slashdot.... My guess is you'd get a surprisingly large number indeed, plus they'd be probably get some free advertising out of the deal.
You are right about the wording, the 'no' option is like an invitation to trolling sorry for that, but only one or two "yes" options seemed too undemocratic .
I think the poll is just fine here. Anonymous polls are crap as they are too easily manipulated. And the registering is also a little thing to overcome/invest so the votes here are more honest if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Nails
Missing poll option: Hybrid / Windows and Linux executables.
I never heared of hybrid executables.. There are windows executables already and the moment there are linux executables you have what you want. Id did it the same way with d3/q4. Release a windows version and make linux executables available for download a bit later. Guess there was not enough time to finish them in time for the DVD release.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
Agemndon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechef
hehe, of course "Stupid geeks, they want to buy our game for Linux, i hate them"
I would be pissed and sick of someone if the would not accept a "no".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageX
No, insulting people because they won't support <insert your favorite OS here> would make them sick of <insert your community here>.

I think it's just fair to say "I'm interested in your product, but I only have use for it if <insert your needs here>". That's how any market works. Listening to potential customers is something very basic for any company. They're still free to only do things they think are viable options and I'll respect that even if I may disagree with their decisions.
You are right.

But there has been made clear that there will be no port.
Prey has gone gold.
They didn't care about protability. So it is not very likely that HH will sit down and make a portation of an already finished game.
So it is quite senseless.

But, well, it is just my opinion.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #13
9Nails
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteel
I never heared of hybrid executables.. There are windows executables already and the moment there are linux executables you have what you want. Id did it the same way with d3/q4. Release a windows version and make linux executables available for download a bit later. Guess there was not enough time to finish them in time for the DVD release.
Not hybrid executables, but a hybrid distribution media which supports cross platforms. (One disc that supports all platforms.) (See: Creating Hybrid Media .) Game disc's that are Mac/PC compatable are written with "Hybrid" filesystems because the same disc works for any OS. The executables would still be specific compiled binaries for Windows or *nix...
Old 07-08-2006, 05:00 AM   #14
esteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Nails
Not hybrid executables, but a hybrid distribution media which supports cross platforms. (One disc that supports all platforms.)
Ahh i see. But for this its really way too late. Prey DVDs are already produced and (in europe) sold in a few days. Not sure if they are already out in the US.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #15
WishMaster
> Ahh i see. But for this its really way too late. Prey DVDs are already produced and
> (in europe) sold in a few days. Not sure if they are already out in the US.
I don't think this is a big problem.
It could be solved like the Linux ports of Doom 3, etc.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
esteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishMaster
It could be solved like the Linux ports of Doom 3, etc.
Yes it could but it seems there is no interest in doing so.. just read this and the other thread about linux..
Old 07-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
raikoujin

I do not think I would purchase it for linux,but think its a good idea all the same.The more widely available Prey is,the better.
raikoujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #18
babyford
The make or break for me is definitely linux support, I don't have windows at all. :P That said, the demo ran at an acceptable rate with Wine. But, there is no way i'm going to pay for a game, in which i have to run emulation to get it to work correctly. Come on, make it happen. :P
Old 07-11-2006, 02:10 AM   #19
Jabba the Hutt

Talking Re: Would you spend money for a linux version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechef
Gamers are computer users with more knowledge than an average user and the Gamer market uses released software earlier.
Yes, of course. And the gaming industry always drove forward the development of graphical user interfaces, processors, graphics cards,... And later is was common use.

But to the topic. When I read about Vistas features for DRM I know I won't buy it. I'm not a masochist! When XP is outdated and unsupported I will use Linux, which version ever. It would be nice to play the favorite games then under Linux, via WINE or as aported version or as original version for Linux. I think it will be the future - maybe in some years.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
9Nails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba the Hutt
Yes, of course. And the gaming industry always drove forward the development of graphical user interfaces, processors, graphics cards,... And later is was common use.

But to the topic. When I read about Vistas features for DRM I know I won't buy it. I'm not a masochist! When XP is outdated and unsupported I will use Linux, which version ever. It would be nice to play the favorite games then under Linux, via WINE or as aported version or as original version for Linux. I think it will be the future - maybe in some years.
LOL!!! Microsoft should change the name to "Windows Adiós!"

I have a feeling that many people will not stay with MS on the switch from XP. Instead they will head to Linux this time around. Myself included. There just isn't any compelling reason to upgrade and learn a new system's quirks all over again at my expense. Especially with Ubuntu or SuSE Linux becoming more user friendly and looking pretty slick and mature.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
Sebultura
Yeah, that's the point & you can count me in: I'm currently on Slackware which I recommend to any dudes that want to learn every bits of their system, anyway, Ubuntu seems great for newcomers, from what I've seen...
Sebultura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:22 AM   #22
Jito463
I find it funny that with every new OS that Microsoft puts out, everyone starts crying the death of MS and how Linux will suddenly become more popular now because of it.

<looks left>

<looks right>

<shrugs>

I don't see it, sorry. I don't plan to switch to Vista right away as I've just got comfortable with x64 not long back (starting around the time a decent virtual drive software was finally released for it Nov. of '05). Now that I'm settled in, I don't really want to switch yet. But I'm sure eventually I will. Why? Because I'm a gamer, and gaming on the PC means Windows (and no, WinE does not count). And eventually, someone will create a killer game that needs DX10 to play properly, or will only play if DX10 is installed, which is only going to be for Vista. So it will happen sometime for me, just not right away.
Jito463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #23
MamiyaOtaru
While I think it's nice to keep this issue visible (I have no windows installed and would love a port), polls like this are inherently flawed. They tend to attract exactly the sort of person who is interested to vote 'yes' (like me) while everyone else will just ignore it.

The results are thus a bit skewed For example, if someone posted a poll about what browser you use, Firefox and Opera would do very well, despite the insane percentage of tards still using IE: Firefox and Opera users would be drawn to the thread like moths, as I am drawn to this thread.

Oh well. Still a good way to show there is interest. It's especially warranted with such a cross platform engine as the Doom3 engine.

Regardless, my best to 3drealms, and to all those who hope for support for their neglected platform!
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #24
thechef
Quote:
I don't see it, sorry. I don't plan to switch to Vista right away as I've just got comfortable with x64 not long back (starting around the time a decent virtual drive software was finally released for it Nov. of '05). Now that I'm settled in, I don't really want to switch yet. But I'm sure eventually I will. Why? Because I'm a gamer, and gaming on the PC means Windows (and no, WinE does not count). And eventually, someone will create a killer game that needs DX10 to play properly, or will only play if DX10 is installed, which is only going to be for Vista. So it will happen sometime for me, just not right away.
Before someone releases a game for a _single_ operating system, the operating system must be widely used.

In other words: You are arguing in a circle, a bit.

In the unprobable case that no one buys Windows Vista, game developers would switch from Direct3D DX 9 to OpenGL (instead of Direct3D DX10) to be able to use the newest Features of the next generation graphics cards.

Microsoft can't play with their customers anymore. It may be dangerous for themselves to exclude DX10 from WinXP and exclude OpenGL from Aero.

No one says that Microsoft loses Market Domination, but they can lose their monopoly. In some cases they already lost it.

edit: I don't have windows installed anywhere, but I am really happy with the games available for Linux, as a "hardcore" gamer. As I switched to Linux, I was in the lucky situation that all the games I used to play are available for Linux or run perfectly with wine. The only exception is "Gothic", but this game is also on the best way to run perfectly with wine.
Today I concentrate on games that are released for Linux. (like (almost) every D3-based game, Savage 2, X2, SS2, Cold War, all those free shooters etc.)
Last edited by thechef; 07-12-2006 at 10:53 AM.
thechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #25
AngryKidJoe
For future reference: I only buy native Linux games. Probably isn't worth much saying, but I support what I support: More stable and faster gaming.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #26
PowersurgeX
I'm a linux gamer, but I am installing xp 64 as a secondary OS for my next machine simply for the games like Fear that don't even work with an emulator yet. Thankfully Prey should work fine since the demo did in Cedega. A native port would still be sweet.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:56 AM   #27
esteel

Question Re: Would you spend money for a linux version?
Stupid question.. were did the poll go to???
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #28
d3ad connection

They reset them all because of a bug fix.
d3ad connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #29
esteel

Thanks for the info.. well i guess its ok to restart the poll but some people said they did not like the old options too much. Any suggestions?