Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-29-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
m4dmax

Map Beta Release
DM_LOTA_BETA2

The link above contains a map I've been working on for about 5 days now. Its based off the Land of the Ancients (dreamworld) levels in single player where Tommy comes in contact with his Grandfather for guidance. This is fit for 1v1 and 2v2 since its rather small. I took all the SP versions on lota provided in Prey and combined them editing them to a degree of playability for MultiPrey.

Also some may say "why didn't you make your own level from scratch?"

Because from day one I thought LOTA would be an awesome DM map, something astray from the over-used metallic shuttle interior theme. And this was a good chance to do so with the provided materials.

I dont want to further fill this post with text so PLEASE refer to readme in the .zip; It has my contact information for suggestions/bug reports. Or you can do so here. Constructive Criticism plz. Thx

Heres some screenshots

Also, this is a beta so remember everything is mearly a placeholder...the weapon/ammo/item/portal locations are not final. Im also still working on visportalling & lighting, atm its dark but bright in some areas. Have Fun
mad-
Last edited by m4dmax; 07-29-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Circus

Re: **Map Beta Release**
Good work and congrats on the first map post!

I am hoping that there is a way to upload custom content to clients from server I see some configs for it in the preyconfig.cfg so I hope as time goes on we can get the stuff quickly to the client similar to how UT uses compression redirect ect!

Ill try this map and again CONGRATS!!

BTW To install: the dm_lota_beta??.pk4 goes in the Base folder!
Last edited by Circus; 07-29-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
DestroyerX61
Nice work, I have to try this

thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
d3ad connection

Ooh, looks nice. I'll try it when I get back to my Prey PC.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
m4dmax

yeah sry i didnt say that thx Circus

To install you must stick the .pk4 in your base folder
Old 07-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
bummerman

I'm using a 1900xtx and my fps is only 30 a lot of the time. That's definitely a problem but it's good to see the 1st custom map release.Keep it up!
Old 07-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
bummerman

I couldn't seem to join any servers till I removed the map from my base folder
Old 07-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
m4dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummerman
I'm using a 1900xtx and my fps is only 30 a lot of the time. That's definitely a problem but it's good to see the 1st custom map release.Keep it up!
yeah i gotta go through and redo the visportalling... I got a 7800gt and I was getting choppy fps aswell... Hard to visportal a huge open area.

I also have it in my base folder but have no problems joining servers, idk if thats the pk4 or you.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
bummerman

YEA,ALL I KNOW WAS THAT i WAS GETTING ERROR MESSAGES UNTIL i REMOVED THE FILE
Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
m4dmax

beta 2 Link Established

I fixed the lighting and visportals so fps shouldnt really be a problem anymore. There still seems to be a bog of performance when you look through a portal since you are rendering your current surroundings and the visible portions through the portals. Im going to try and fix this. I also updated the readme.txt with installation and updates on map.

New Download Link is at top one first post or follow the link presented here. Tell me if any other problems occur.

Bummerman, if you get errors again post the error I want to see if I can fix it. Your the only one who Ive talked to with the problem so far
Last edited by m4dmax; 07-29-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Hakuryu

Hehe, I've been editing lotaa too

I just dl'ed your map, but havent tried it yet... do you make use of the blocked off areas like when you start and there is that little spot you cant jump over?

What I did is mirrored the terrain outside basically, so it plays sorta like in a bowl, and you can move along the edges which normally were blocked.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #12
bummerman

diff comp with no problems...much better fps...One though was that some of the deadends could portal to another area..if you are going to have a dead end, there should be something valuable to get like the rl in roadhouse
Old 07-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
m4dmax

Quote:
diff comp with no problems...much better fps...One though was that some of the deadends could portal to another area..if you are going to have a dead end, there should be something valuable to get like the rl in roadhouse
yeah I was thinking about this, im most likely going to expand the map so you can portal to another spot and get the rocket launcher. Right now the rocket launcher is placed ontop of the cliff edge you have to spirit walk to retrieve it.

Another idea I have is to maybe make apart of the map consumed by the aliens; possibly add a portal to an alien ship or something, kind of like the transfer in SP from lota to the ship. It would just be a small area but enough room to battle it out and fight. If not Ill expand with more lota type areas to portal too.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
DestroyerX61
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4dmax
yeah I was thinking about this, im most likely going to expand the map so you can portal to another spot and get the rocket launcher. Right now the rocket launcher is placed ontop of the cliff edge you have to spirit walk to retrieve it.

Another idea I have is to maybe make apart of the map consumed by the aliens; possibly add a portal to an alien ship or something, kind of like the transfer in SP from lota to the ship. It would just be a small area but enough room to battle it out and fight. If not Ill expand with more lota type areas to portal too.
I actually jumped my way to the RL

Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
bummerman

I put it on my server with auto download
Atlanta Frag
Old 07-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #16
Gine
You have a nice little first map here. In fact this could be a good map to 1v1 on which the community badly needs. If you in fact plan on it being a 1v1 map (it would be silly to have it more than 4 peeps on it I think) I think you need to tweak it to make it more friendly to the player. Here is some constructive criticism:

1)Widden the narrow canyons and the "doorsways". They are really small and kind of unfriendly to a player who is running and gunning. It makes strafe-jumping useless as well.

These are just some of the "doorways" and canyons. Wherever you seem them just widen them up.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Gine
2)Remove the logs and firepit. You can't run directly through them and they get you stuck up on them. The guy I played it with got stuck on both while chasing me down.

3)The rocket launcher isn't impossible to get but jumping over to it can easily be screwed up. The rock that you put there makes it so you have to jump onto it and then from that rock over. I would just remove the rock and elevate the landscape in that one spot.

4)I am sure you know about this and are taking it out.

All in all its a great little map thats got the potential to be a great map for competition. I loved playing on it.

If you want to run through it sometime and see how it plays in an actual game, my clan and I organize scrims/pick up games almost every night. We can play it one night with you. If you are interested contact me on Xfire under the SN of giners or hit me up on IRC at #teameu on irc.gamesurge.net
Old 07-29-2006, 11:07 PM   #18
bummerman

the fps is giving some, some trouble as well
Old 07-30-2006, 12:24 AM   #19
Gine
FPS drop like mad if there is any action going on at all. Hopefully you can find a way to fix that too. =/
Old 07-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #20
m4dmax

awesome thx for the input.

The problem with the corridors is that all those things are seperate pieces, they are pretty much solid models and not pieces I can edit. That whole map is like a giant puzzle that can be taken apart and put together in different ways. I can make those Brick doorways larger, but the other corridors would require a rebuild of the whole map. Something I would probably have to do in 3dsmax or some other app outside of the editor. I think I can remove that circular doorway completely, just making it a canyon area.

The other things like firepit and the part of the alien ship sticking out I did pick up and will be fixed.

The fps problem is the portals, cause I got the visportals placed correctly, so maybe I need to place the portals in better locations? Any thoughts on that?

Cause when you look through portals it really eliminates the visportals cause you gotta render vast portions of the map while looking through the portals. Only way to fix this is to move the portals so they arent visibly facing large open areas.

Other than that ill try and open the corridors a bit more and fix the other issues.
Last edited by m4dmax; 07-30-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #21
DestroyerX61
What if you hid the portals so they wouldn't have to be rendered in most views, similiar to the way the one in roadhouse (the one in the main inside room on the floor) is hidden.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:04 AM   #22
m4dmax

its not the portals that are making the fps drop. Its whats being rendered through the portals. Maybe I should move the portals to a different location. Facing not so open areas.

As for the Rocket Launcher location, I did that purposely so you must spirit walk to get it, theres a spirit bridge to that spot. Its a power weapon so I thought maybe having to leave your body to retrieve it would add an new element to the map.
Last edited by m4dmax; 07-30-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #23
DestroyerX61
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4dmax
its not the portals that are making the fps drop. Its whats being rendered through the portals. Maybe I should move the portals to a different location. Facing not so open areas.
That's exactly what I meant

Old 07-30-2006, 02:29 AM   #24
timkill
wow bravo, sir. if you get a working version of this I will defiantely put it on my server.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:42 AM   #25
Stew

Played through it once tonight on "Circus for Noobs!!" with a couple of Tommys. Loads of fun, didn't know about the RL since if I stopped to check the scenery I'd get,,, well you know.

Great size for 1-4 players or 1v1-2v2 competition.

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 AM   #26
Circus

This is very much a "working version" !

I dont know this editor and if it has ability to cull or use anti portal or zoning to reduce rendering troubles? I really only know Unreal ed and a tad bit on Seriuos sam so I hope I can get into this one soon.

I ran this on my server and got the map to clients from the redirect set up by Bummerman and I thought it played just as good as all the other stock maps. No complaints from players and we played it at least 6 times or more.

Just some rendering issues is all to make it more optimal and like I said I dont know this editor at all.

Very nice first custom map SP remake though to set the stage for more to come I hope!

GOOD WORK MAX, and I hope you got time to do another SP conversion or even one from scratch!

"Circus for Noobs" That my server BTW I just run it sometimes but definately will use it to test the new stuff! I am player "The Noob" LOL
Last edited by Circus; 07-30-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #27
Brokenismeh
Hi m4dmax

I have hosted this beta map at my site, let me know when updated or the final is ready and i'll update it.

Well done

"With age comes maturity, with maturity comes the ability to kick ass with style"

http://www.icu-gaming.com/Prey
'Prey4you' - A Prey Community Fansite

http://www.icu-gaming.com
A Multi-gaming clan (Prey is one of them..... OH YEAH)
Old 07-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #28
m4dmax

good stuff;

Im got work today and other things so I might be able to work on it late tonight. If not I got all day tomarrow to fix and touch things up. Hopefully I can fix the portal rendering problem or atleast make it a little better.

How are people liking the portal locations? I was thinking of moving some around or linking them to different portals, cause I noticed the only way to top story part is by steps, maybe I relink a portal from bottom to top or move a few around.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #29
Gine
The portal location look great right where they care. Maybe something you can do so they don't have to render a lot of the area they look at is put up a little canyon wall infront of it. So the only thing it will have to render is the canyon it views. Something that people can get by easily.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #30
bummerman

OK, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OPEN AREA, WHERE THE LOGS ARE SURROUNDEd BY THE BIRD STATUES YOU NEED TO PLACE A POWERFUL WEAPON OR POWERUP and remove the logs perhaps the hlth powerup
Old 07-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #31
PointlesS
I played it online today...and performance was really really bad...the game generally plays very smooth but with 5 people in the server my frame rate was in the 10s
Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #32
m4dmax

yeah im trying my best to fix the fps problem, im gonna do a few things tonight that could potentially fix the problem, but this may require me moving the portals in a different position. Maybe instead of facing outwards they are in the ground or somthing and you jump in one and fall out of another onto the location. Idk, theres a realm of possibilities I gotta toy around with, its just gonna come down to what plays best and works well with everyones fps.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #33
Hakuryu

Portals display differently in multiplayer. I have tested this and found it to be true. Roadhouse is a perfect example... they look like a bright spot in the air, but dont actually open until you get within like 50 feet of them.

Your screenshots show different however... are you getting those prints from running map or devmap? Once you setup the map to be multiplayer specific and start it from the multiplayer list in-game, they will not display from so far away.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #34
m4dmax

i can set how far away the player is till they open. I set them to 350 units, this seemed reasonable, so the player had to be around 5-6 feet infront of the portal before they open. That screenshot shows portals open cause thats how the map is set up. Im gonna try a few things tonight to hopefully fix the fps problem.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 AM   #35
Circus

Max I bet you could make a sweet little map conversion for the SP Mothers embrace map, [not sure what it is called in the maps folder]?

Just add some portals and maybe add some other meshes or whatever this game uses in there and you have a nice little fragging map!

Try to add some of those boulders smashing in from orbit so the players also have to be aware of death from those.

When you get a chance take a look at that map in the ed?

Last edited by Circus; 07-31-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #36
bummerman

Mad,here's a thought for the fireplace area outside and I don't know if it's possible...In Doom 3, there was this map where you activated a machine which then started making some noise and in about 40 sec. produced a megahealth. so seems to me you could have a switch by the fireplace which would ignite the fire with mucho crackling sounds to let everyone know that a pipe is cooking..after 40 sec the fire subsides to produce a floating pipe. Since everyone can hear it cooking, they all converge and fight over it and it can add a lot of fun to gameplay
Old 07-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #37
bummerman

one more thing, the rocket launcher is so powerful that maybe you might make the ammo for it a bit sparse on the map
Old 07-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #38
m4dmax

Quote:
one more thing, the rocket launcher is so powerful that maybe you might make the ammo for it a bit sparse on the map
yeah I was gonna do that, i noticed I placed a bit of it on the map. As for the fireplace thing, sound cool as hell but Im horrible at coding/scripting. So it might take me a bit to figure that out. sounds like a badass idea though.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #39
m4dmax

DM_LOTA_BETA3

fixed(hopefully) all the fps issues, I was running around in it with a constant 60fps even while looking at portals.

FIXED/ADDED ISSUES
- Lighting Totally redone
- More Visportals added
- Alien ship removed, causing problems in previous version/didnt go with map
- Made custom crouch portals at base of the two cliff edges
- Moved some portals to make flow of map better
- Added new area to retrieve MegaHealth
- Removed/Moved some of the ammo and leech gun chargers.

Download HERE
Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #40
bummerman

Re: Map Beta Release
where's the new area for megahealth, to be honest, I didn't notice any changes and the fps looking thru the portals seemed low. can't put it on Atlanta Frag till I hook up with "my redirect" buddy. The new map over road my other map so I can't compare em