Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Gaming Topics > Prey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Do Me Proper
Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
When I turned on my 360 today with Prey in the tray I was prompted to perform an update. Is this the patch or just a general 360 update? I only ask because I jumped into a game with four people and still had some lag issues, someone also quit the game and I didn't see a jump on my leaderboard score (I think, I'm not exactly sure what my last score was).

Did anyone else get this update?
Do Me Proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Joe Siegler
Former 3DR Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Patch available today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Me Proper View Post
When I turned on my 360 today with Prey in the tray I was prompted to perform an update. Is this the patch or just a general 360 update? I only ask because I jumped into a game with four people and still had some lag issues, someone also quit the game and I didn't see a jump on my leaderboard score (I think, I'm not exactly sure what my last score was).

Did anyone else get this update?
The Prey update has not been released to my knowlege. If it was, there'd be news stories about it on our site, and posts here about it from us or Human Head.

As Chris Rhinehart said on Friday...

Quote:
No ETA yet on the release of either of these patches, other than we hope to have them resolved and out very, very soon.
In other words, "When it's done".


Forget that. Turns out the 360 patch was indeed released; we weren't informed that I'm aware of. Keep reading.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Last edited by Joe Siegler; 08-16-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:28 AM   #3
OptimusPrime
Prey just updated on Xbox 360
X360 version

After some more playing online. It can be just me, but it seems to me that the game finds games faster now, and refresh list also seems faster. And there was minimal lag in 2 games of 7/8 which normal are laggy as hel. Maybe playing some more games will show a differnt result. (ill test some more) But I can't remember any games of 7/8 players being not laggy as hel before, and now they where pretty smooth with the occasional stutter

Also it wasn't the smallest update either, my wireless router led blinked for some time.




So maybe it's only a lag update or something!

Anyone else have the same experience? Or is it just me and some luck today.

NM this post I was just lucky in match making, lag is still in the game.
Last edited by OptimusPrime; 08-15-2006 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Seems I was lucky after all.
OptimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Joe Siegler
Former 3DR Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
I got an update last night too, but I have no information from 2K or anything that tells me there was an update released. I'll try and find out what the deal with it was.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
OptimusPrime
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I got an update last night too, but I have no information from 2K or anything that tells me there was an update released. I'll try and find out what the deal with it was.
Cool thanks. I think it's a update for the BIG update... or something ehheehhe. Also it was pretty big, cos my wireless router led stayed blinking for some time, ran to it to check...I know..I..know I like to know how big they are heehehhe.
OptimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Joe Siegler
Former 3DR Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
I've since gotten confirmation from Venom in the UK that this was the "big update". Theire codebase is independant of the PC side, so this should not be seen as an indicator of a PC patch release.

Anyway, what exactly is in said patch I'm still trying to track down - as you can see, we were somewhat surprised at 3DR that it was released; I'm not sure if anyone here knew it was coming when it did.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Do Me Proper
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Not to complain but this is the patch? I didn't notice any difference really, I'll go back and play some more but I was still having some lag issues yesterday with 6 person games.
Do Me Proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Do Me Proper
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Now I've confirmed it, the lag is still there, and maybe even worse. I just jumped into two games: one with 8 that lagged considerably (kept getting stuck in one place), and one with 4 people that had the same problem. The four person game was so bad that someone left within the first few minutes, and said "This is the worst lag I've ever seen in a game."

If this is the patch then it did nothing as far as I can tell. I'm sure people who host games are running fine (naturally) but everyone else seems to be getting screwed.

I really like this game and I appreciate the response from developers to the community but DAMN! I hate to do it but I'm considering trading this in if the lag doesn't get fixed. And I'm not just a whiney noob, my gamertag is now SpermRocket and I'm about 60 on the leaderboards. I had climbed all the way up to 18 before I got sick of my ranked points getting dropped because of quitters, so I've been loyal since the game came out.
Do Me Proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
Gibbs

Gibbs's Avatar
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Same here after the big Prey tourney this will most likely collect dust if this isn't fixed. Come on now if you are calling that your patch....get more testers or something. I wouldn't mind if you even told us that there is a patch coming out that won't do much at all then lieing to us. I still think this wasn't the patch or at least I'm hoping so.

As proper said I have been loyal to this game simply for the fact that there would eventually be a patch. I'm the top ranked player on the leaderboards and one of the best if not the best player on the 360. I hope we find out some news soon.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Kornkaos
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
yupp same here had to update as well Major Nelson posted up about it i'm still unsure what it did(does), if anyone could lemme know that'd be great.
Kornkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
StixnStonz

StixnStonz's Avatar
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
i loved prey and love the multiplayer. hoping the MP is fixed soon. i can barely play any good games with more than 3 people and its always on roadhouse!!
StixnStonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
Joe Siegler
Former 3DR Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Multiplayer is impacted seriously by the upstream of the person hosting the server. If you have a small cable modem upload speed and you try and host 8 players, it's gonna lag.

Anyway, I'm trying to track down what was changed. As I said before, we were unaware this was coming, I was just as surprised as you when there was a patch released.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
Joe Siegler
Former 3DR Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
After chatting with a couple of the guys from Venom, here's a list of what was fixed in the Prey patch released the other day. Please note that since the 360 version was released, the code paths have been brached, so this is not an indicator of what might be fixed in the forthcoming PC patch.
  1. A number of small (mainly sound) issues which were fixed in the week or so after the released 360 version was submitted.
  2. Load/Save Ambient Music disappearing
  3. Centurion Gun sound problem
  4. Crawler Defaulting
  5. Texture Corruption
  6. 16:9 hud fixes
  7. Quit out of ranked match early exploit fix
  8. Improved Match searches
  9. Mutiplayer lag issues. From Venom on the issue: "We have dropped the requirment as much as physically possible without a complete rewrite... this enabled us to host 6 players on a 256k upstream (whereas before we could only host 2-3)".
But remember, even with this fix, if you have bad upload bandwith on your system, it will cause issues. The game code can only compensate so much, there is a point where conditions may impact performance.

The "new content" is not part of this patch; this was a tech patch only. When/what for the new content has yet to be decided.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #14
OptimusPrime
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Okay thanks for the update!
A crap upstream? I have 768k up and there is still lag with more then 5 people, even I as host have lag, tell me how this can be? (maybe private chat, Ridge Raacer 6 also has this bug) I have hosted lots of other games COD2/GRAW/PGR3 all with max players etc..etc.

I hoped this patch didn't include the lag fix cos there is not really an big improvement. IMO the code needs a rewrite, but that's just me.

But thanks for trying to fix it.
Last edited by OptimusPrime; 08-16-2006 at 12:19 PM.
OptimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
Gibbs

Gibbs's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
exactly what do you mean by the "quit out of ranked match early exploit fix" because when I play if someone quits I still don't get rank for it and this is after the patch.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
Do Me Proper
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
The quit exploit does seem to be fixed, but the lag is worse and it seems like the you spawn right next to the guy that just killed you WAY more often.

How do you tell who has a good upload speed? I try to only join games that have a green connection but they seem to suck now too.
Do Me Proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
DestiniesReqium

DestiniesReqium's Avatar
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
After chatting with a couple of the guys from Venom, here's a list of what was fixed in the Prey patch released the other day. Please note that since the 360 version was released, the code paths have been brached, so this is not an indicator of what might be fixed in the forthcoming PC patch.
  1. A number of small (mainly sound) issues which were fixed in the week or so after the released 360 version was submitted.
  2. Load/Save Ambient Music disappearing
  3. Centurion Gun sound problem
  4. Crawler Defaulting
  5. Texture Corruption
  6. 16:9 hud fixes
  7. Quit out of ranked match early exploit fix
  8. Improved Match searches
  9. Mutiplayer lag issues. From Venom on the issue: "We have dropped the requirment as much as physically possible without a complete rewrite... this enabled us to host 6 players on a 256k upstream (whereas before we could only host 2-3)".
But remember, even with this fix, if you have bad upload bandwith on your system, it will cause issues. The game code can only compensate so much, there is a point where conditions may impact performance.

The "new content" is not part of this patch; this was a tech patch only. When/what for the new content has yet to be decided.

The lag is still there and I still don't get ranked if someone quits.
DestiniesReqium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
decay
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Lag is definetely still a problem and i have 900k upstream and i get lag all the time unless i host, i hope this isnt the only patch planned or else the online community is already dead
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #19
StixnStonz

StixnStonz's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Joe, or anyone else can you answer this:

I was playing ranked games (xbox live) and this guy named DeepNevada was the host every game and we had a good group of people who kept finding the room (about 5 or 6). Nevada ALWAYS got first place, 50+ more kills than me in 2nd place, the rest of the guys were all in the same amount of kills range as me. One guy was getting pissed because Nevada seemed to be running super fast and was hard to kill, there was no lag at all, so was this just a result of (what we called) "host advantage" (on counterstrike back on xbox), or what? When I host I don't get shoes like that!
StixnStonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #20
Gibbs

Gibbs's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
lol I play with nevada all the time I always win... Its called strafe jumping when you jump around you move faster.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #21
Do Me Proper
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
But there is some huge host advantage i.e. no lag at all. I hosted two games today: won the first 20/1, and the second 25/2. The host always has the advantage mostly because of the response time of weapons. When I host I can take multiple shots from multiple weapons with no delay, but the lag for everyone else keeps them from being as precise. Of course it's especially satisfying when you beat the host in their own game (all I have to do now is beat Gibbs...a guy can dream can't he).
Do Me Proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #22
Gibbs

Gibbs's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
lol yea basically the main differnece from host and non host is it is harder to weapon switch thats about it. Proper you will have plenty of chances in our tournies.....I'm not saying you will I've never lost a serious game on my host.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #23
Do Me Proper
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Damnit! I played a ranked game earlier with a 50 kill limit, and I won 11 star points for it. When I checked my rank before the game I had 336 points, and after the game I had...that's right, 336 F@CKING POINTS!!!

I can deal with the lag to some degree, but when ranked matches don't count, especially ones that take half an hour, I get seriously pissed. I don't think I'm asking for too much, I'd just like a next-gen game to play like a previous-gen one, especially after paying $60 for it.

Sorry to keep bitching on the forums like this, but I really like the game and wish that the multiplayer could live up to its potential.
Do Me Proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #24
tommygun
 

tommygun's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
lol so what this patch fixed nothing that we needed? lol and i just read form team xbox that their making prey 2 already lol
tommygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:42 AM   #25
DestiniesReqium

DestiniesReqium's Avatar
Irritated Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
lol so what this patch fixed nothing that we needed? lol and i just read form team xbox that their making prey 2 already lol
Right, but Prey isn't fixed properly and doesn't seem to be getting the attention to be fixed right. So I'm not sure if Prey 2 would get a buy from me, especially if Prey 2 is just as laggy online and the annoyments of no rank after someone quits. I mean I love Prey, but I dont plan on paying for another "broken" game ya know?
DestiniesReqium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #26
Gibbs

Gibbs's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
All i know is no prey 2 for me and i will not be buying the new maps(unless needed for tournies for $$) if this is the real patch.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #27
tommygun
 

tommygun's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
well not saying im not going to buy it cause lets face it i dont know anything about it...but knowing how prey 1 was would help me decied alot easier but i think ill atleast rent it...the mistake i made with part one was buying it b4 trying it i dont think ill make that mistake again

but then again they might make online play like not laggy kinda like Halo2 ....i dont know how venom or 2k or who ever made the game online made this game possible online but you can kinda tell their not good at it
tommygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:32 AM   #28
tommygun
 

tommygun's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
sorry double post
tommygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #29
SuperSaiyan4
Exclamation Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Multiplayer is impacted seriously by the upstream of the person hosting the server. If you have a small cable modem upload speed and you try and host 8 players, it's gonna lag.

Anyway, I'm trying to track down what was changed. As I said before, we were unaware this was coming, I was just as surprised as you when there was a patch released.
I have noticed that you have commented on this argument on more than 1 occasion and its starting to get old imo.

I have been on Xbox Live for ever 3yrs and have played in MANY online games such as FPS games with lots of players in the game at once and I used to have a 128k upload and there was NO lag.

Yes it is all about the upload however it is also dependant on how the game is coded to cope with the online side. As such Halo 2 uses a feature whereby in game voice can only be used 1) If you are near someone and 2) if you press the button to speak to either your team or everyone by holding it down. This means less bandwith is used.

I have been in 16 player Halo 2 matches and I have to say there is more severe lag in PREY with 8 people than 16 players in Halo 2 which has bigger evironments, more destruction etc.

I am now using a 768k upload and STILL there is severe lag with PREY in a full room.

So just to say everyone it is NOT your connections this game is just coded poorly for online play, PERIOD.

2 other games that are effected as such with minimal players is Street Fighter vs SNK 2 EO with just 2 players it tends to get extremely laggy and also DOA Ultimate and DOA 4 which has sometimes got some severe lag.

Playing PDZ I have never come across any lag in this game and again it has more going on in this game in terms of environments and destruction than PREY.
__________________
FINISH THE FIGHT: 26TH SEPTEMBER 2007

MasterChief - 'I need a weapon'
SuperSaiyan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:12 AM   #30
OptimusPrime
Re: Prey just updated on Xbox 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
I have noticed that you have commented on this argument on more than 1 occasion and its starting to get old imo.

I have been on Xbox Live for ever 3yrs and have played in MANY online games such as FPS games with lots of players in the game at once and I used to have a 128k upload and there was NO lag.

Yes it is all about the upload however it is also dependant on how the game is coded to cope with the online side. As such Halo 2 uses a feature whereby in game voice can only be used 1) If you are near someone and 2) if you press the button to speak to either your team or everyone by holding it down. This means less bandwith is used.

I have been in 16 player Halo 2 matches and I have to say there is more severe lag in PREY with 8 people than 16 players in Halo 2 which has bigger evironments, more destruction etc.

I am now using a 768k upload and STILL there is severe lag with PREY in a full room.

So just to say everyone it is NOT your connections this game is just coded poorly for online play, PERIOD.

2 other games that are effected as such with minimal players is Street Fighter vs SNK 2 EO with just 2 players it tends to get extremely laggy and also DOA Ultimate and DOA 4 which has sometimes got some severe lag.

Playing PDZ I have never come across any lag in this game and again it has more going on in this game in terms of environments and destruction than PREY.

Same for me, but I have played other games (not a BIG halo fan) I also have 768k up.

3Drealms needs to step in and FIX this game the right way, MP is very nice but the LAG makes it unplayable with more then 4 -5 people.
OptimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #31
ode83
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
I'm so over it. If they are making a Prey 2 good luck on selling it because the replay value SUCKS. I'll rent it to complete single player thats about it. I've given up on them fixing the multi player issues. They should have never released the game with so POOR online coding.
ode83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 AM   #32
DestiniesReqium

DestiniesReqium's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Well I had high respect for this game especially "knowing" that a patch was on the way to fix the horrid lag. I was also awaiting the new maps, but I have to say, seeing as how the lag and the quitting ranked deal isn't fixed and if us 360 users have to pay for the maps, count me out of that. I'm not goiung to pay for more lag. If the maps can be good for 1 vs 1, imagine if you have about 5 to 6 people in those tiny maps... the nonstop action would make for one hella lagging time. As previously said, I wont buy Prey 2, I'll rent... for fear it'll be like this. If they cant fix the lag in Prey, how can they fix it for Prey 2?
DestiniesReqium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #33
SuperSaiyan4
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ode83 View Post
I'm so over it. If they are making a Prey 2 good luck on selling it because the replay value SUCKS. I'll rent it to complete single player thats about it. I've given up on them fixing the multi player issues. They should have never released the game with so POOR online coding.

Well PREY did have the right idea on the gameplay even though it was short however yes you are perfectly correct as I have said its due to poor net coding.

There is nothing wrong with anyone's connection its how the game has been coded, if it was people's connection then every Xbox Live game would be laggy online.
__________________
FINISH THE FIGHT: 26TH SEPTEMBER 2007

MasterChief - 'I need a weapon'
SuperSaiyan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #34
Orochi Avlis

Orochi Avlis's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan4 View Post
There is nothing wrong with anyone's connection its how the game has been coded, if it was people's connection then every Xbox Live game would be laggy online.
Because as we all know, all the games on the 360 send out the exact same amount of information, every game run smooth on the network and nobody had lag issues until Prey came along.
__________________
PSN Handle: Orochi_Avlis
3DR Forums Steam Group
My Steam Stats
Orochi Avlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #35
Motown5150

Motown5150's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
I'm dissapointed that the lag still exists after this patch, as well.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the MP portion of the game, and I appreciate the efforts in trying to correct it, but as far as long term playability (and buying new maps to go with the continued lag), I don't know if that's gonna happen from a good deal of the existing community, due to the lag, which I thought the patch would better address.
The single player was great, but I've done it twice and am a DM fan at heart, so I'd like to keep playing it and support the title. I just don't think many will continue to play it if the lag continues and there are other titles, holding more people that play better online.
Otherwise, thanks for the devs continued efforts. I realize it's not always as easy as it seems.
__________________
XBox Live Gamertag - Motown5150
Motown5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #36
decay
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Why did they even make the MP 8 players when they claim standard upload speeds cant handle it? I retract my previous post saying i had 900k upload its onyl actually 423k upload when i checked, but still they said

"Mutiplayer lag issues. From Venom on the issue: "We have dropped the requirment as much as physically possible without a complete rewrite... this enabled us to host 6 players on a 256k upstream (whereas before we could only host 2-3)"."

I tried hosting 6 players the other day, i should be well above the 256k upstream requirement yet everyone in the room complained about lag...i think this is a case of "C.Y.A." (cover your ass) by 3d realms

The game shouldve never been released like this, and blaming people's connections is a poor excuse, i play quake 4 online with no lag and thats the same damn engine...this game shouldve had a 4 player limit, since that seems to be all it can handle...i know i'll only be hosting 4 player games from now on till this lag gets truly fixed

BTW, what is the crawler defaulting fix? It makes me think that you can now make the crawler's function stay set on one mode even after you die, however i tried this in multiplayer and it always switches you back to mode 1 fire after you die

So what does this mean, hell, what do any of the fixes mean?
Last edited by decay; 08-17-2006 at 10:44 AM.
decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #37
SuperSaiyan4
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Its all BS nothing to do with the connection its the game I mean 8 players is nothing!!
__________________
FINISH THE FIGHT: 26TH SEPTEMBER 2007

MasterChief - 'I need a weapon'
SuperSaiyan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #38
Joe Siegler
Former 3DR Staff

Joe Siegler's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Quote:
Why did they even make the MP 8 players when they claim standard upload speeds cant handle it?
I never said that. I said slow or limited upload speeds. The issue is the host is sending out info to all the people connected to them. There is no central server for the game. YOU are the host. If your upload bandwith speed is insufficient, then you'll see that. I don't know how else it can be stated.

Quote:
Its all BS nothing to do with the connection its the game I mean 8 players is nothing!!
If you had any clue about the tech issues, you wouldn't be saying that. It's most definitely not BS. Might not be something you want to hear, but that doesn't make it BS.
__________________
Apogee / 3D Realms Employee: Dec 14, 1992 - May 22, 2009

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #39
IceColdDuke

IceColdDuke's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
If you had any clue about the tech issues, you wouldn't be saying that. It's most definitely not BS. Might not be something you want to hear, but that doesn't make it BS.
Joes right the Doom 3 network structure is very solid and optmized but if you actually LOOK at the source code youd have a idea on massive and bandwith heavy any Doom 3 or for that matter ANY modern game is today. I wouldn't play 8-12 players unless the server has a solid 1mb upload.
IceColdDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #40
DestiniesReqium

DestiniesReqium's Avatar
Re: Xbox 360 Prey Patch - Aug 2006
Well even still, I just got done playing a 1 on 1 and it lagged pretty bad. We even switched being host to see if it still did it, it was still there. My upload speed is 400 and something, no other online game I have (besides farcry- which i got rid of) lags for me (yes I know totally different though). I think I should be more than able to host a 1 on 1 match, especially seeing as how I'm over what the reccomendation is.
DestiniesReqium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.39624190 seconds (100.00% PHP - 0% MySQL) with 15 queries

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Website is 1987-2010 Apogee Software, Ltd.
Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd.