Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-29-2000, 07:42 PM   #1
Death Rally Engine
Please please please release the source, Joe!

Heh, j/k, I was wondering, since I have no clue where my CD for it is right now, is if someone could send it to me NO I was wondering how exactly the engine was programmed. It is a tile engine or are the tracks basically bitmaps with boundaries set up, etc? Just wondering cause I'm making a racing game, and I want it to be like Death Rally.

------------------
-Steve
http://stevenvi.cjb.net

Old 11-29-2000, 09:07 PM   #2
MrEricSir
Re: Death Rally Engine
Quote:
Originally posted by StevenVI:
Heh, j/k, I was wondering, since I have no clue where my CD for it is right now, is if someone could send it to me NO I was wondering how exactly the engine was programmed. It is a tile engine or are the tracks basically bitmaps with boundaries set up, etc? Just wondering cause I'm making a racing game, and I want it to be like Death Rally.

That was confusing.

Death Rally is a combination of 2d and 3d, sort of like GTA. (I think DR had much better graphics, tho.)

------------------
Big Brother is watching. Dress accordingly.
Old 11-30-2000, 02:24 AM   #3
AncientCoder
Quote:

It is a tile engine or are the tracks basically bitmaps with boundaries set up, etc? Just wondering cause I'm making a racing game, and I want it to be like Death Rally.
Well I can only take an educated guess but basically the engine is a combination of
tiled graphics and polygon models.

Basically you could do two things. Build some basic tiles that let you make a track,
so you need corners,straights and so on. Now either attach a line to the tile which
describes the slope or build a masked version of the tile. With the masked version
you describe the road bit as one colour and the boundry bit as another colour. You
could choose other colours to describe the type of surface. If you use 256 colours
then you could attach a wide variety of surfaces.

So basically you have one tile with the actual graphic and a mirror copy with the
surface details. Put these in one big 2D array and do the collision on the wheels.

See what the wheels are hitting. One wheel could be hitting a border ,another some
mud and so on. This way you get do some neat effects with the car. The slope version
would be more memory efficient but would require more computation and really is only
worth it in a true poly engine.

So draw the tiles first then sort the cars and the polys based on Z and then draw
them. What is Z in an overhead view? Well your game world is 2D. So the 2D Y is
actually your Z.

As far as the course is concerned you could create several racing lines which the
other cars follow. Here you would set up vectors which all connect to each other. Then
set up cross over points so cars can change the racing line. The opponents cars follow
these lines.

After all this I have just described how Wacky Wheels did it! But the principles are
the same. There are other ways but this method does work

------------------
Old 12-01-2000, 12:28 AM   #4
Okay, yeah, I know how the "3D" stuff works in it, or at least I have an idea from what I remember... haven't played the game in ages though... it's not really 3D...but I'm no good at explaining things... yeah, I think I'm gonna use vectors for the track bountaries and such, since I already know how to do that sort of thing... invisible checkpoints to make sure the track is followed as it should be... etc... I just can't figure out what a good tile size would be... I know that 8 (what I currently have it set to) is way too small, so maybe 32 or 64... hmm... just wondering... I guess the programmers for the game aren't anywhere to be seen, so they couldn't be asked what dimentions were used for the tiles... oh well... this'll probably end up as another one of my unfinished games anyways...

------------------
-Steve
http://stevenvi.cjb.net

Old 12-01-2000, 12:55 AM   #5
AncientCoder
Quote:
grammers for the game aren't anywhere to be seen, so they couldn't be asked what dimentions were used for the tiles... oh well... this'll probably end up as another one of my unfinished games anyways...

64x64 seems reasonable.

Same people who are doing Max Payne wrote
Death Rally, Remedy Entertainment.

http://www.remedy.fi/dr/

------------------
Old 12-04-2000, 02:34 AM   #6
PetriRMD
Remedy Staff
Been a long while since DR, but here's a brief description how the game worked.

Death Rally was not tile based, all the tracks were big bitmaps, with separate 3D objects. Kim Salo wrote a Track Editor (or TED for short), which was used to place the 3D objects on the track, texture them and to color them. For the cars, we had separate bitmaps for AI pathfinding and materials, which defined how to drive along the track and how the car would behave on the track.

We didn't want to do the game tile based, as that would've limited the lighting and shape of the tracks very heavily.

All the collisions were done against the materials (as defined by the bitmap) so that the collisions could be kept cheap ie. no extra processing time spent on those.

Most of the art was done in Photoshop and 3D Studio, but we even used Lightwave and "good old" deluxe paint to some extent.

------------------

[This message has been edited by PetriRMD (edited 12-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PetriRMD (edited 12-04-2000).]