Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-29-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Iron_Man

Wolf3d in other languages?
Was Wolf3d for PC ever released in any other languages? I have heard rumors of a Japanese version, but haven't heard or seen anything about that in years. If I remember right, it was supposedly published by the same company that published the SNES version. (imagineer) Anyone else ever seen this or heard of it?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: Wolf3d in other languages?
Not to my knowledge it wasn't.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 08-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Frenkel

I think there's something in the Wolf3D source code about a Japanese and a Spanish version.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

That may be, but I know we never had anything to do with that, we've only ever sold the "regular" version. I also can't recall hearing about these other versions; perhaps it was something planned, and never completely followed through on.

I'll try asking Romero, he might know.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

I IM'ed Romero, and showed him this thread. His response:

Quote:
Yes I did Japanese and Taiwanese versions
That was news to me.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Iron_Man

Found it. A friend of mine had it. Enjoy!

Last edited by Iron_Man; 08-30-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Phayzon

I never understood why Japanese stuff is always half English...
Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Iron_Man

Yeah, rather interesting. The in game HUD is IDENTICAL to English 1.4, so none of it is translated. That sort of defeats the purpose of being a Japanese version doesn't it?

Now, if we could only see that Taiwanese version!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
DOSGuy

Sweet! I want a copy for my website! Wait, was that a shareware version or could it only be purchased as a full version?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
Iron_Man

The copy I have is registered. I am not sure if the Japanese version was ever available in shareware. I highly doubt it, because Apogee distributed the shareware, and Joe said he hadn't ever heard of a Japanese version.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
DOSGuy

That's what I would expect. Too bad. I rather like the idea of playing a different language version.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Iron_Man

The most amazing thing to me is that this version is nowhere to be found on the internet. Well, let me rephrase that: there is no information regarding this Jap version on the internet. Try doing a search for the wj6 file extension! The only results you will get are from the Wolfy source code comments. Romero said that there was also a Taiwanese version. Why has nobody ever seen these releases? :P I guess killing Nazi's must not appeal to oriental people. Either that or they figure half of the game would be in English anyway, so why not just play the full blown English one? This is reminding me of Wolfenstein 3-D v1.0 registered - IMPOSSIBLE to find, ANYWHERE. lol
Old 08-31-2006, 11:55 AM   #13
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSGuy View Post
That's what I would expect. Too bad. I rather like the idea of playing a different language version.
The only thing different is in some of the menus, and the readme screens. There's nothing at all different at all in the game itself.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
Frenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Man View Post
The most amazing thing to me is that this version is nowhere to be found on the internet. Well, let me rephrase that: there is no information regarding this Jap version on the internet. Try doing a search for the wj6 file extension! The only results you will get are from the Wolfy source code comments.
There's some talk about the Japanese version of Wolfenstein on the DieHard Wolfers Forums, like in this topic.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Iron_Man

Ah, proved me wrong! Notice in that topic, he does not mention the Taiwanese version...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
I never understood why Japanese stuff is always half English...
Thats puzzled me too, wikipedia says:

Quote:
Japan's official language is Japanese, and about 99% of the population speaks Japanese as their first language. The Ryukyuan languages, also part of the Japonic language family to which Japanese belongs, are spoken in Okinawa, but few children are learning these languages now. Ainu, the language of the indigenous minority, is moribund, with only a few elderly native speakers remaining in Hokkaido. Most public and private schools require students to take courses in both Japanese and English.

The Japanese language is an agglutinative language distinguished by a system of honorifics reflecting the hierarchical nature of Japanese society, with verb forms and particular vocabulary which indicate the relative status of speaker and listener. There is no consensus on what, if any, linguistic relationship Japanese has with other languages, but scholars continue to research the issue.

Japanese incorporates many foreign elements. Japanese has borrowed or derived large amounts of vocabulary from Chinese. When non-Chinese foreign words are written in Japanese, they are usually done so in a separate alphabet called katakana. Since the end of World War II, Japanese has also extensively borrowed from English. The writing system uses kanji (Chinese characters) and two sets of kana (syllabaries based on simplified forms of Chinese characters), as well as the Roman alphabet and Hindu-Arabic numerals.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
Phayzon

^
Interesting.

One of the other Japenglish things I can thing of are the Japanese Pokemon cards. They says Poket Monsters on the back and all kinds of Japanese stuff on the front.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Iron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSGuy View Post
Sweet! I want a copy for my website! Wait, was that a shareware version or could it only be purchased as a full version?
If you visit the forum over at DieHardWolfers, http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2170
there is supposedly a shareware version of the Japanese Wolfenstein. It must be very hard to find though, because Tank says he couldn't find it. He's even got the 3 episode (wl3) version of Wolfenstein! That sure would be cool to have!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #19
Phayzon

Wasnt there 2 3ep versions? Original and Nocturnal?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:00 PM   #20
DOSGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
The only thing different is in some of the menus, and the readme screens. There's nothing at all different at all in the game itself.
But you'd be the only person on your block that had it!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #21
Iron_Man

Quote:
I don't believe so? I think there was just a 3 ep version for the first three episodes, and then if you wanted the last three, they sent you the WL6 version. In other words, I don't believe you could order JUST the nocturnal emis... i mean nocturnal missions. Ask Joe, he might remember!

I wish I could find a copy of the 3 episode one.(s?) I know there is next to nothing different, its just the fact of owning them that would be neat.
Last edited by Iron_Man; 08-31-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:13 AM   #22
Litude

The order information in Wolfenstein 3D says that there are two three episode versions that you can order and the complete set. I'm pretty sure that information must be accurate so that means there are two three episode versions.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:41 AM   #23
Phayzon

I wonder if there were different versions of each, like WL6 had 1.0->1.4?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #24
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Nocturnal was the name given to the add-on pack (of sorts) which turned a wl3 into a wl6. You could not order just Nocturnal Missions on it's own, all that did was change your wl3 files into wl6 and let you have all 6 episodes.

It's like the difference between Plutonium PAK & Atomic Edition of Duke3D.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #25
Iron_Man

Quote:
I wonder if there were different versions of each, like WL6 had 1.0->1.4?
Thats a good question. I don't think the 3 episode version ever made it to 1.4. I think there was only 1.0(?) and 1.1-1.2.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #26
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Nocturnal was the name given to the add-on pack (of sorts) which turned a wl3 into a wl6. You could not order just Nocturnal Missions on it's own, all that did was change your wl3 files into wl6 and let you have all 6 episodes.

It's like the difference between Plutonium PAK & Atomic Edition of Duke3D.
Ok, gotcha
Old 07-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #27
Larry A.
It seemed awesome. But will you upload the Japanese version to me?

My e-mail is LSS2026190899@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Btw, if someone found the Spanish version, please tell me.

I'm looking for it for several years, and I don't know how to compile it in the source, which I discovered it, and the Spanish version.
Last edited by Larry A.; 07-02-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #28
ZebM
I've got the Wolf3D shareware installed on one of my computers. It's amazing to think that 6 Episode Wolfenstein3D originally cost $70 (Dunno about inflation rates, but that's probably at least $100 in today's money.)

I have considered getting the GBA port of Wolfenstein 3D but I can't even bring myself to finish the Shareware episode. Everything is exactly the same! :-P
Old 07-11-2007, 02:23 AM   #29
Larry A.
Excuse me, I ask if Iron_Man can give me a copy of Wolf3D Japanese for me.

However, I sent him 2 e-mails but I didn't receive the reply, and my mailbox didn't give me a failure notice.

Could you help me get one?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 AM   #30
franpa

distribution of copyright stuff is erm illegal and as such that would most likely be why you did not get a reply back.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #31
Larry A.
Unhappy Re: Wolf3d in other languages?
Well, sorry about that.

I have no means to infringe someone, maybe I did that without I know that.

Anyway, that could be a treasure for me if I got it.

Something such as Spanish, Japanese versions are regarded as rumours and some people treated them as they were never released, and some people said that they were references from the source code.

My only reason to get it is to find out what its true form is, as to reveal those mysteries.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #32
8IronBob

Hmm, maybe if Wolf 3D were ever an XBLA game, then we'd have something to think about.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #33
Little Conqueror

I played a Traditional Chinese (Taiwanese) version of Wolf3D. It was the exact same as the English version. The reason why these things are half English is because words like "Health," "Ammo," "Score," and "Lives" are commonly used in Japanese games. The menu in the Taiwanese version doesn't have any English, but aside from that, it's the same game. Whether it's official or not, on the other hand, I have no idea.

"If you join the good fight, you get 72 domain names when you die." -- Wamplet
Old 09-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #34
Litude

Reading Joe's earlier response it seems like there was an official Taiwanese version of the game
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #35
Larry A.
Maybe there is another way to get those foreign versions of Wolf3D. Besides, I want to try to compile an EXE of foreign versions of Wolf3D.

Anyway, I'm looking for them since I first touched the source code (even I have little knowledge about that). It's about 3 years ago. I even tried to find the Japanese (shareware) version via Google Japan, and I got no results.

As for Taiwanese version of Wolf3D, I think I may like to convert them into Chinese Simplified so this thing will be able to place in People's Republic of China (Mainland).

I was surprised to see that someone got a copy of Wolf3D Japanese version, because I have almost forgotten about that these days.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #36
Little Conqueror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry A. View Post
Maybe there is another way to get those foreign versions of Wolf3D. Besides, I want to try to compile an EXE of foreign versions of Wolf3D.

Anyway, I'm looking for them since I first touched the source code (even I have little knowledge about that). It's about 3 years ago. I even tried to find the Japanese (shareware) version via Google Japan, and I got no results.

As for Taiwanese version of Wolf3D, I think I may like to convert them into Chinese Simplified so this thing will be able to place in People's Republic of China (Mainland).

I was surprised to see that someone got a copy of Wolf3D Japanese version, because I have almost forgotten about that these days.
With the limited amount of Chinese that was actually in the game, any PRC citizen who can't read it probably can't read simplified, either.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #37
Player Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Conqueror View Post
I played a Traditional Chinese (Taiwanese) version of Wolf3D. It was the exact same as the English version. The reason why these things are half English is because words like "Health," "Ammo," "Score," and "Lives" are commonly used in Japanese games. The menu in the Taiwanese version doesn't have any English, but aside from that, it's the same game. Whether it's official or not, on the other hand, I have no idea.
I'm never played it. And maybe can't found that shit.
(I googled it, but no match except this topic.)

I used to play a 2d-scroll shooting game(forgot the name), it looks like Taiwanese version of game, the main menu doesn't have any English too,
but the others still in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Conqueror View Post
With the limited amount of Chinese that was actually in the game, any PRC citizen who can't read it probably can't read simplified, either.
What do you mean?
Are you mean if the game isn't a "fully Chinese version", than they probably can't read it?
Sadly, it died temporary due to I used my all of times on RealLife(TM) and playing Games! XD
*Player Lin escaped from the hell of making website.*
Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #38
Little Conqueror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player Lin View Post
I'm never played it. And maybe can't found that shit.
(I googled it, but no match except this topic.)

I used to play a 2d-scroll shooting game(forgot the name), it looks like Taiwanese version of game, the main menu doesn't have any English too,
but the others still in English.

What do you mean?
Are you mean if the game isn't a "fully Chinese version", than they probably can't read it?
I only mean the game is mostly in English (easy English like "Health,"Level," "Ammo," "Lives," "Get Psyched," etc.), and the little Chinese that does show up is pretty much the same in both Simplified and Traditional. I think one out of every twenty characters may be different, but still recognizable to someone who knows Simplified.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #39
Chokster37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry A. View Post
Well, I bought two foreign versions off ebay (sold in their original japanese boxes with manuals).
One says Dos-V (and works in MS-Dos) and one is for NEC PC98 computers (and needs an emulator).

At the moment I'm writing this, you can still see some screenshots for the Dos-V box/manual on ebay.

Here's the file list for both versions (the Imagineer directory):

http://choksta.webs.com/wolflist.txt

The only extra thing you need to compile the Dos version, is to make a GFXV_WJ6.H file with this structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Man View Post
I don't think the 3 episode version ever made it to 1.4. I think there was only 1.0(?) and 1.1-1.2.
I've seen WL3 v1.4 being sold twice on ebay recently. One person selling it was actually named Ironman.
Last edited by Chokster37; 12-19-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #40
Jeffpiatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Hmm, maybe if Wolf 3D were ever an XBLA game, then we'd have something to think about.
there is an xbla version of wolf 3d out.