Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-26-2001, 05:11 PM   #1
Frenkel

New Commander Keen 4 level!
Today is my 16th anniversary! I can legally drink beer, drive a scooter and watch 16-rated movies! Two more years and I can legally play Duke Nukem 3D!

Anyway I have altered the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket level of Commander Keen 4 with an hexeditor. I removed the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket to show that level editing can be done.

If you don't believe me you can download the file at my homepage. http://www.student.tue.nl/u/a.f.smei...fp/default.htm

When experimenting with gamemaps.ck4 I found this picture. I think it is the icon of Dopefish used in Ted5. You can put this on your www.dopefish.com page, Joe.

In the first level of Commander Keen 4 I altered one hexvalue, the value of the jumping red ball with the value of Dopefish and both balls were changed in Dopefishes.
In the Well of Wishes I changed some Dopefishes in jumping red balls. The jumping red balls didn't swim, but they just jumped like in the other levels.
These last two things aren't in the file yet. But if you ask nicely I will put it on my site soon.

------------------
Groeten van Frenkel
Visit us at http://www.sfprod.com
Old 02-26-2001, 08:54 PM   #2
Re: New Commander Keen 4 level!
Thatís cool.

About the Bounder in the "Well of Wishes", can the Dope Fish eat it?

------------------
"What have I got in my pocket?"
"It isnít fair my precious, is it, to ask us what itís got in its nasty little pockets?" - The Hobbit

Old 02-27-2001, 01:07 PM   #3
Frenkel

I don't think so. The Dopefish can only eat the little green fishes and Commander Keen himself.

Thanks that you like it so much

------------------
Groeten van Frenkel
Old 02-27-2001, 02:43 PM   #4
MrEricSir
Cool! I hope someone can design an editor.

------------------
Big Brother is watching. Dress accordingly.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:28 AM   #5
Frenkel

I few days ago somebody e-mailed me asking how I created that level and if I'm going to make a leveleditor for Keen 4.

How I created the level:
Somewhere on the internet I found a page that sayd that the levels end with the name of the level. I looked inside gamemaps.ck4 and I saw that the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket level was one of the latest levels. That level is small, so it is easy to alter it. After some experimenting I know that the Megarocket tiles where something like E30A E40A E50A. The ended with 0A. So I chanced al the numbers with 0000 (E30A gets 0000). This didn't work. You must not chance the first number with 0A, the rest you must chance. After done that I played the level and I saw that the ground didn't look right. So I chanced the last three numbers with 0A with 0158, since the last three numbers with 0A were surrounded with 0158. It worked and you see the result in the download at http://www.sfprod.com.

About a leveleditor:
I'M NOT MAKING A LEVEL EDITOR. Because I'm a bad programmer-wannabe.
Joe Siegler sayd that it can not be done because it something with the EXE and the source code and you don't have the source code. I don't believe him.
The levels were created with Ted5. And the source code of Ted5 is released. The levels are compressed via the Carmackize option in Ted5. I think somebody can reverse that option so you get the uncompressed level data.
You can also look at other Ted5 Games like Biomenace and Wolfenstein 3-D. You can edit the levels of Biomenace with Ted5 and it uses the same engine as Keen 4.
The levels of Wolfenstein 3-D are also maked with Ted5 and the source code of Wolfenstein 3-D is released.

------------------
Groeten van Frenkel
Old 03-03-2001, 11:44 AM   #6
relnev
For keen4, maphead.ck4 was embedded into the EXE. This file would have contained the RLEWtag (0xABCD appears to have always been used for every TED5/jhuff.c based project), file offsets for gamemaps.ck4 (offsets for the starts of each maptype struct), and then possibly other data.

A map editor could work without modifying the EXE by having its own copy of the map file offsets, and then modifying the plane offsets (see maptype in id_ca.h of wolf3d) and length in gamemaps.ck4. New map data could just be stored at the end of the file.
Old 05-28-2001, 02:21 PM   #7
Frenkel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenkel:
Today is my 16th anniversary! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's stupid that nobody congratulated me!
Old 05-28-2001, 03:50 PM   #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>About the Bounder in the "Well of Wishes", can the Dope Fish eat it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't think so. The Dopefish can only eat the little green fishes and Commander Keen himself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/dopefish.gif[/img] [img]smilies/dopefish.gif[/img] Wow, that would sure be neat if a dopefish could eat a bounder. I'm sure it would be a rather good idea for a future Keen game someday, maybe even an unofficial one. [img]smilies/dopefish.gif[/img] [img]smilies/dopefish.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Cool! I hope someone can design an editor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Besides the actual hex editing, you can edit the Keen4 levels using TED5 if you download this special program. This was even talked about in a big thread earlier in this forum. If you're interested in editing the Keen4 levels, try looking back in the older threads of this forum.

[ 05-28-2001: Message edited by: Neil McRae ]

Old 05-29-2001, 02:09 PM   #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It's stupid that nobody congratulated me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your right; I’m very sorry. [img]smilies/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Happy past 16! [img]smilies/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/dopefish.gif[/img] "I'm a Dope Fish! Ahhhh!"

Old 05-29-2001, 11:17 PM   #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenkel:
It's stupid that nobody congratulated me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations!! [img]smilies/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2001, 03:13 AM   #11
Frenkel

Thank you! [img]smilies/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2001, 02:41 PM   #12
Monti
If editing can be done to CK4, then why hasn't this been done in the past? Why does it take everyone so long to come up with some way to edit something such as this. It's an old game. Why don't they just do the same thing as they did with the Original Duke Nukem games with Commander Keen 4,5,and 6? If this is an ID Software thing then that's probably why....I think...

I've seen and used editors for the old Original Duke Nukem games. One was a mouse based driven one in which you could point and click on icons and make your level by way of using the mouse. It's not anywhere to be seen anymore from what I know for the IBM-PC version. I had it once way back before the year 1996. It was downloadable from the APOGEE site. A couple years later I come back to get it again and it's gone. How could that be and WHY???

[img]smilies/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Doc Holiday, TOMBSTONE