Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Hudson

Question Nocturne, XP?
I decided to reinstall Nocturne only to find it seems to not want to run in XP.. I've tried setting compatibility modes (yeah, yeah I know) and i'm still having issues (it freezes upon initial load and I get an hour-glass infinity).

Anyone have any suggestions?
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Karthik

Re: Nocturne, XP?
Sorry to bump this thread like this but I tried the second demo an got the same error as well. The infinity hour glass pointer. Any of you know of a fix?
Karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
ShadeEX

You are using the official patch right.. I've had no problems running nocturne on XP Home, It should disable all copy protection..

Patch 2 here:
http://www.gamershell.com/news/74.html

Just download Patch 2, don't bother with previous patches since those fixes are included with Patch 2.

But just in case have you patched Safedisc copy protection too, you can get the patch here:
www.macrovision.com/products/safedisc/downloads.shtml

But you can only play in DirectX 5 Hardware or Software Mode with the new NVIDIA Drivers.. DirectX 6 & 7 Hardware modes makes all models Invisible and you only see shadows..

Older drivers do work, though I can't remember wich..

EDIT:
Oh and also setting up some Virtual Memory, on the same drive where Nocturne resides, could also solve some stuff..
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Last edited by ShadeEX; 09-15-2007 at 05:12 AM.
ShadeEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Karthik

Back up a bit. I thought all the drivers are backward compatible in Direct3D mode.....what's the deal?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
ShadeEX

Well it's definatly a bug..

It's even in Nocturne's FAQ so it's a resurfaced bug so to speak..

I can upload some pictures to show what I mean..

EDIT:
Hmm no screenshot butten oh well I'll try and explain then..

Well the problem is an old one, as I said it's related to the NVIDIA drivers. And it's resurfaced due to changes made in newer drivers..

Basicly you can only see characters shadows in "Hardware DirectX 6 & 7 Mode" and not the NPC's or even the player character..

Older Nvidia drivers from before the new Control Panel was introduced should work correctly in hardware DirectX 6 & 7 mode..

Either that or use "Software Mode" or switch to "DirectX 5 Hardware Mode"..
It's the same issue with the Blair Witch games since they also run on the Nocturne engine..

EDIT 2:
Oh and thats just in 32-Bit mode..
If you use 16-Bit the models are fine but everything else looks totally messed up
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

Last edited by ShadeEX; 09-15-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
ShadeEX

EDIT:
Nocturne DirectX 7 Hardware Mode 32-Bit:

Nocturne DirectX 7 Hardware Mode 16-Bit:

You will get the same results in DirectX 6 Hardware Mode

And as I said you need older NVIDIA drivers, from before the new Control Panel for it to work correctly.

Last edited by ShadeEX; 09-15-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Karthik

Is that so....I guess I'll skip it I guess.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Wellenreiter

You could try and use a glide wrapper though...

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/
Wellenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
ShadeEX

Okay Nocturne hardware driver issue has been fixed with the new Nvidia drivers

Now Nocturne works like normal and it also fixes the issue with AvP Gold

So just download Patch 2 for Nocturne and the new nvidia drivers and your good to go..

Old 09-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Cubanito Loco

Finally!!
Cubanito Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
Karthik

New Nvidia drivers? What version is that anyway?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
ShadeEX

Forceware 163.71 Drivers for Windows XP..

I don't know if the Forceware 163.69 Drivers for Windows Vista works, since I only have XP..

Old 09-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Karthik

Hmm....looks like I'm out of luck cause my laptop is using a GeForce 6150 card and I heard that Compaq in built GeForce are not compatible with Nvidia drivers.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
ShadeEX

They should be if it's an GeForce 6150LE.

You can always try the drivers..

That or find remade drivers at HP's homepage (since they merged with compaq)

Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Surnis
Hello,

I also have a problem with Nocturne, but not in making it run. It ran fine for the first 3 acts, but I think there is a bug in the last act.

In the 4th act, there is a room where a huge block moves to crush us against the south wall. According to all walkthroughs I could find, you should simply activate the lever on the south wall, then the others in ascending order. But all levers refuse to move no matter how many times or how long I press the spacebar. Stranger doesn't even do his move something animation. I tried every angle I could around the south wall lever, nothing works.

Strangely enough, from all texts I could find, it seems I'm the only one to have that trouble. Maybe there is something I'm missing.

I'll say right now it's not my spacebar that's defective, it works fine everywhere else, including to open the door to that trap room and get out before the block arrives. (not very smart design from Killian!) But that only makes me stuck on the other side and unable to proceed, so that's no help. (there is a space wide enough to squeeze through, but Stranger can't squeeze himself, too bad!)

When the block crushes me, it usually pushes me down into the succubus bedroom instead of killing me, (definitely buggy) but I still end up stuck on the other side of the block when going back up so I need to reload anyway.

My guess is that the program fails to read one of the rooms code lines, that should deactivate the door and activate the possibility to move the levers. But what can I do?

I have installed a patch called Patch 2, the most recent I could find. Doesn't change anything.

Any ideas? It's annoying to have to give up so close to the end.

Thanks.
Surnis is offline   Reply With Quote