Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Hardware Forum

Old 11-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
IceColdDuke

Virgin Mobile dropped calls HELP
I have a virgin mobile phone, and my calls keep getting dropped even when I have full bars. This is a sidenote, there customer service blows, I called them up and asked them whats the length of time the tower takes to drop a call, she went off on all this random stuff and when I talked over her she said "odviouslly what you have to say is more important then what I have to say go head please sir say it now its more impant blah blah" im like ok.

I finally got a straight anwser they drop the call even if theres a little bit of interference and they dont try to keep the connection alive even for a second...they just drop it, does anyone have a good reason why they would do that?

Anyway does anyone know of a way to boost up the signal of a cell phone thats around 100$? I just need something so my calls dont get dropped every 20 min in my house. I dont like there service im going to switch phones when I get a new job .
Last edited by IceColdDuke; 11-15-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
LeadBullet

Re: Virgin Mobile dropped calls HELP
I never talk on the phone to any length at all, to the point where I have a Virgin phone as my only phone. Everyone I know including family I just tell them to email or IM me unless its really important. The point being that Virgin is all I use.

I pretty much never have any problem with dropped calls, even when I have only 1 bar on my signal. I'm wondering if it might just be for phone model or something that is sucking at holding calls. I never have that problem as I've said, but I borrowed someone elses virgin phone for a couple calls where the signal was 1-2 bars and the call was dropped twice. Theirs was a lower class model made by Kyrocera, mine was a higher model Audiovox.

They sell little shit like stickers to put behind your battery etc to boost the signal, but I've heard those things are kind of a joke. If your calls are being dropped when they are at full bars on your signal then I doubt its the signal. Your phone might be messed up or just a low grade model, or the service in your area is just bad.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
thefly

ICD, what model phone do you have? (ie I have an LG #something on the Cingular network) I'd just google whatever model you have and see if other people have the same problem. I don't know if Virgin Mobile has walk-in stores, but go in and bitch like crazy if they do.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
IceColdDuke

I'm not going to go bitch to some dude that gets payed miniumn wage : ). But why problem is why do they just drop the connection if theres a little bit of interference, why do they try to keep it alive for even 5 seconds?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
LeadBullet

It was probably just some random explanation in the notebooks of answers they have to follow when troubleshooting, or something similar to that. If I remember correctly they don't even have their own network, and run off somebody else's.

I'm still willing to bet it's your phone. I've used mine in huge cities, well populated areas and in the middle of a desert and I've still been able to send and receive phone calls on mine just fine, even if I'm down to 1 bar.

Some phones made for them are just really shotty. I had the lowest model at one point and it had a couple ringtones in the menu which could be previewed just fine, but if I set it as my ringer, it was always silent and never played when I got a call. My girlfriend had what was their highest model at the time a few months back, and it has a tendency to crash at random times. (the phone just shuts itself off when it crashes) The one I borrowed that had some dropped calls was a mid range Kyrocera phone that was a folding clamshell type. I think it was called an Oyster.
Last edited by LeadBullet; 11-16-2006 at 06:53 PM.