Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Software Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
ixfd64

will "open source" software ever be on par with commercial software?
When I'm talking about "open source" software, I mean software whose code is freely available. Most people associate "open source" with the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), but not all authors who release their source code do so under the GDFL.

Also, some people think that any "open source" software is free. This is usually true, but is not always the case. This tends to be the case for programs that mostly consist of code. However, for games, which usually consist of data and code, it's easy for authors to make their software commercial and yet release the code. For example, 3D Realms and id Software has released the source code to the game engine, but not the data. We still have to pay for Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, etc.

While some open source software is successful (Linux, GIMP, etc.), there aren't as many open source programs as much as commercial programs.

For instance, there's no major open source web authoring program. The major web authoring programs like Abode Flash and Director are very expensive. I guess the reason is that most open source communities don't have the funds of commercial software companies to fund their projects.

I think that many yearsfrom now, some open source programs will be as good as, say, Adobe Director today. But then again, at that time, commercial software would be far more advanced than now.

Visit my forums!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Odin

Re: will "open source" software ever be on par with commercial software?
Open source software is usually made by people who have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Big companies like Microsoft, Symantec, EA Games, etc. will never release open source software simply because it's basically giving away the "secret formula" that makes the software successful.

This doesn't mean open source software will never become popular; Firefox is widely used by many public and private groups. OpenOffice.org is also sucessful. But without big names releasing open source software, it'll be a while before a an open source company makes it into the big boys' playground.
Last edited by Odin; 02-15-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
TerminX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Most people associate "open source" with the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), but not all authors who release their source code do so under the GDFL.
No, nobody associates 'open source' with the GFDL, because the GFDL is a documentation-specific license that is never used for actual program source. You're obviously thinking of the GPL, which most open source software is released under.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Mr.Fibbles

open source software tends to be better and more stable because the people are actively involved with the development. Linux is more stable than Windows because Linux devels have snapshots, RC, etc that are available to the public domain and people send in results and bugs.

example from here: TerminX releases snapshots of EDuke32 and we come in and say it crashed while doing this that and the other thing, he comes back the next day with a fix.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
8IronBob

Hmm, makes me wonder if Microsoft's gonna crack down on a licensing program that requires you to only have commercial software on Vista. If that's the case, you'll either have people dual-booting, or making Linux their only OS. We can't have that, either. DRM or no DRM, I'm telling you, something's gotta give, and give very soon.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
TerminX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Hmm, makes me wonder if Microsoft's gonna crack down on a licensing program that requires you to only have commercial software on Vista.
That sounds incredibly illegal. It won't happen.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
IwantMORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
For instance, there's no major open source web authoring program. The major web authoring programs like Abode Flash and Director are very expensive. I guess the reason is that most open source communities don't have the funds of commercial software companies to fund their projects.
Flash and Director are both very complex programs, and both based on Adobe closed formats.

Will open source software ever match these is like the debate back in 98, will Flash ever be popular. Yes but not in the current version and not for a while. If we still only had flash v3 or an early version of shockwave it would still be a minority bit of software. But Adobe have pored millions of hours of development into making it better over time.

If you look at Open Office or Firefox undisputably the most successful open source project around. Both started with a big boost by companies (Netscape & Sun) releasing a huge amoung of working code. This gave them a big boost.

Yet both are still only on version 2. MS office and IE are on at least their 7th version and have been around a lot longer.

Open source will catch up, one of the big advantages is code breakthroughs in one bit of software can be used in other projects. But complex programs, especially where closed formats are used like flash or video software will still be hard to get to the level of Flash, Director, Final Cut or Premier.

Utilities like ftp, simple audio, images and the like there are already quite good open source alternatives.

Give it time open source will catch up remember it took MS 8 years to get from Windows 98 to Vista and most people had not heard of open source before Mozilla. I would guess open source will catch up with the state of commercial software as it is now some time in the next 5-6 years.

Also as a Flash user for quite some time I would say Flash is one of the worst bit of software ever. Not the end swf's but the Macromedia software you have to use to make it. It's always been buggy. badly designed and not worked very well. You get used to it because you have no choice and its much better now then V3/V4 was. At least most popular open source software greater than V1 seems to be stable and do the job well. Even if it looks bad and has limited functions.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Big companies like Microsoft, Symantec, EA Games, etc. will never release open source software simply because it's basically giving away the "secret formula" that makes the software successful.[
Ever heard of IBM, Apple, Sun Microsystems, Novell ? Would you call them small companies ?

In fact Sun Mircrosystem has set it as their goal to release the source code to the entirity of their software.

The OP goes a bit into the the definition of "open source", there actually is such a formal definition, it is available here. The Open Source Intiative that maintains that definition also certifies licenses as open source and maintain a list of those licenses here. There is also the related concept of free software, with the definition here and a related license list here.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
mon2908
I am unsure if Microsoft will ever catch up on the quality of open source software. I mean they need to bind the customers to their products with some pseudo standards that only works on their platforms. I doubt they could stand a chance if there would exist a real competion on the market. Other commercial vendors use and support Open Source Software with their products.

By the way, I learned on http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/85412 that Ballmer isn't really happy about the Windows Vista sales by now. Most people realised that they need a new PC anyway so they are going purchase Vista together with a new one. Retail copies of the operating system vista are lieing like bricks in the shelfs.

There are not many people out there who are going to buy it. If the reason is Microsofts demand for an extraordinary fee or the bad press about DRM I cannot say. The lack of service updates and the incompatibility with some old applications could also be a reason for it http://news.com.com/5208-1027_3-0.ht...35765&start=-1 (You know never touch the fuc ... fine running system.)

Some people in the heise forum are pissed that they can't buy Windows XP anymore and that the amount they have to pay for XP is rising because the demand for this os is going up (Seems they dislike to become a typical Microsoft Betatester: Honestly, there must be some products out there that won't work even in the Vista compatibility mode for XP.)
Last edited by mon2908; 02-16-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Ever heard of IBM, Apple, Sun Microsystems, Novell ? Would you call them small companies ?

In fact Sun Mircrosystem has set it as their goal to release the source code to the entirity of their software.

The OP goes a bit into the the definition of "open source", there actually is such a formal definition, it is available here. The Open Source Intiative that maintains that definition also certifies licenses as open source and maintain a list of those licenses here. There is also the related concept of free software, with the definition here and a related license list here.
Well, it so happens that Novell writes an open-source OS in SuSE and Linux, or at least supports those distros. Also, IBM also is a big supporter of Red Hat, IIRC. Seems like things are big in open-source with big company backing. Also, there are a lot of big companies that run Linux in their internal offices, or at least emulates/virtualizes Linux from within a Windows NT interface. I should know, because I've been using things like that in the past. Open source and businesses are a big combination these days in age, saves a company money, and they won't have as much overhead in the process.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
IwantMORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon2908 View Post
Some people in the heise forum are pissed that they can't buy Windows XP anymore and that the amount they have to pay for XP is rising because the demand for this os is going up.
It's one of the big advantages of open source. Adobe, MS and a host of software companies will pull their old versions as soon as the new one comes out. So if you get an old PC say with windows 98 running on it and you want to put on Photoshop. You will have no chance of getting a legal version of PS5.5 I I doubt that CS would run on 98. Same for a lot of software.

But open source stuff you can pick almost any version and get the one right for your system.

MS might find not selling XP could harm them as people start to realize that once you lock yourself into closed source software the support for it will go the day after they launch their next version.

Open source gives so many more advantages than just being free. It's open and therefore never going to be withdrawn at any point of it's life. That to me is worth more than the fact it's free.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
8IronBob

That's why Linux distros will let you download as far back as at least three versions before the current one. At least I know that Ubuntu will let you d/l from as far as 5.10 Breezy Badger, maybe even before that. However, the support from Ubuntu may still push you into getting 6.10, and even that will go obsolete in another two or three months when version 7.04 is released.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
mon2908
Vista install in 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

Oh, my god couldn't stop laughing but honestly, it hurts to see how money is wasted. I wouldn't do that in a million years (Better make a shiny watch from the disk if you get it for free.)
Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #14
Odin

Quote:

Oh, my god couldn't stop laughing but honestly, it hurts to see how money is wasted. I wouldn't do that in a million years (Better make a shiny watch from the disk if you get it for free.)
I don't know how to say it in four words so I'm going to say it in four pictures instead.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #15
mon2908
Hey Odin,

sorry if I hurt your feelings with this youtube video but that only underlines what I have learned about any new Microsoft release by now. It always needs some service updates to work on everyones PC.

Most of Microsofts customers are unexperienced and do not see the differences in driver models. I bet they haven't realised that something like DRM even exists. 'Mmh, no Vista driver so install the XP driver and ask yourself why nothing works correctly'.

Your lack of argumentation and your behaviour makes me asume that you or one of your relatives are somewhere on the paylist of Microsoft. It would also explain why you hate people using M$ if they speak of Microsoft.

So, gimme some more of your GTFO pictures for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6YO30GhmQ

or ignore it and watch this interview with Bill Gates instead about the future of Windows computing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ou-ZBGV-TQ&NR

I realised, that you attract more people with your pictures than it would help to stop me in my argumentation.

By the way, you are now on my ignore list. So send as much pictures as you like. I won't care about you anymore.
Last edited by mon2908; 02-18-2007 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #16
IwantMORE

Quote:

Now that looks like the right machine for Vista but we are getting a bit off topic here...
Old 02-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
mon2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantMORE View Post
Now that looks like the right machine for Vista but we are getting a bit off topic here...
True,

it's the first time I can remember that an open source operating system has a better driver support than a Microsoft retail product. I wonder if this will have any influence on peoples decission for a different operating system.

I made my way to Linux by using an old machine for a Linux installation, where I could train myself in the different operating system (that was short after it was announced that Microsoft put some own efforts in TPM and TCPA). I bought myself a Lindy CPU Switch so that I could switch among the different machines. At the beginning it was a version of SuSE and Windows XP. Today I run Debian 3.1 and Ubuntu 6.10.

I wonder if open source software will be someday blocked to work properly on a Microsoft System. I mean, I can do more now in OpenOffice than I ever did in any Microsoft Office Suite before. GIMP is a great open source graphic program and if I have to do some 3D moddeling I could use Blender 3D. There are a lot of other programs I could use instead of some commercial retail products.

On the other hand is Microsoft who today prevents the purchase of their software but wants to build a market where you have to pay if you use their software (licensing). For real life it would mean, if you want to write a letter you have to pay a fee for the use of a typewriter, if you want to read some online book, you have to pay a fee to read it but can't buy it anymore.

I can't imagine that this kind of marketing will be successful and can coexist in a world, where you can use open source software for free.

So how will future look like? On the one hand businesses want you to pay for use to prevent to loose their cash cow. (They want to sell you the milk but want to stop you to ever get your hands on an own cow). On the other hand you can get a system for free that allows you to produce your own content/milk without the need for the other companies 'milk'. How will this scenario end?
Last edited by mon2908; 02-18-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #18
8IronBob

I do believe that most open source software WILL work on Vista, because I had installed a lot of it so far, like OpenOffice, Blender 3D, AbiWord, Firefox, Thunderbird, you name it, I probably got it going on here. The fact that things like those worked on here surprised the wazoo outta me, because I almost felt that backwards compatibility would stop all of this. I guess that the early days of Vista seem to be better than the first days of Win XP with this issue.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #19
Yenji

I don't think open source software will ever take over commercial software. So long as file format standards and support contracts exist then I think retail software will always be on top. At least with companies anyways... I guess the home end can be different.

Personally I think that some open source products are better then their retail competitors... but some retail products are also better then the open source ones. So basically I just use whatever I like the most
Old 02-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #20
Odin

Quote:
Hey Odin,

sorry if I hurt your feelings with this youtube video but that only underlines what I have learned about any new Microsoft release by now. (1)

By the way, you are now on my ignore list. So send as much pictures as you like. I won't care about you anymore. (2)
1. You didn't hurt my feelings with the youtube video, you hurt my feelings with turning a thread about open source software into a thread about Windows Vista not supporting every single goddamn computer in existence.

2. The feeling is mutual then.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
mon2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenji View Post
I don't think open source software will ever take over commercial software. So long as file format standards and support contracts exist then I think retail software will always be on top. At least with companies anyways... I guess the home end can be different.

Personally I think that some open source products are better then their retail competitors... but some retail products are also better then the open source ones. So basically I just use whatever I like the most
That is a point I agree with you,

software and customer support becomes a very important aspect and that is a point where people, even if they're not involved in the development of open source software can bring in their experience with this software. So you get a chance to ask the developer of the product to support you or a third party that is familar with this product.

On the other hand exists an amount of open source software that competes directly with some cost expensive retail products. I recently found this webpage which names some open source products you can use instead of commercial ones. So software training is also a point one must consider to survive in the market (link http://www.linuxeq.com/)
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #22
IwantMORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
1. You didn't hurt my feelings with the youtube video, you hurt my feelings with turning a thread about open source software into a thread about Windows Vista not supporting every single goddamn computer in existence.
So posting a screen full of pointless pictures does not spoil the thread too? Ever heard of PM's or how about a discreet post saying "I think we are going a bit off topic." and there is even a report a post button...
Old 02-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #23
Odin

Quote:
So posting a screen full of pointless pictures does not spoil the thread too? Ever heard of PM's or how about a discreet post saying "I think we are going a bit off topic." and there is even a report a post button...
He's been doing this for a while now.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #24
mon2908
Quote:
Don't waste your time with him, put him on your ignore list. So click on his name, you'll find it under User CP/ Miscellaneous/Buddy/Ignore List. Odin, is a character of it's own. If he likes to behave like a child let him have his fun. You won't be disturbed by any of his pictures if you do it, the only thing you see is that he posted something and that you do not wish to see it, which is a great thing .
Last edited by mon2908; 02-18-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #25
Hudson

Arrow Re: will "open source" software ever be on par with commercial software?
Quote:

That's hilarious!

Quote:
I don't know how to say it in four words so I'm going to say it in four pictures instead.
**a bunch of stupid images**
I don't know how to say it in four words so i'm going to say it in one image:

[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 02-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #26
IwantMORE

Quote:
He's been doing this for a while now.
Any you have been overacting to posts for a while...Don't let it get to you just learn to ignore what you don't like. Or at least come up with constructive criticisms.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
That's hilarious!

I don't know how to say it in four words so i'm going to say it in one image:

Mleh, I'll remember that one without any hesitation.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #28
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Personally I don't even care about this thread or the point I was making anymore. I just want to read a single damn thread in this forum without it having to be turned into a "bash Microsoft/Vista/DRM" thread.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #29
Phayzon

Quote:
Personally I don't even care about this thread or the point I was making anymore. I just want to read a single damn thread in this forum without it having to be turned into a "bash Microsoft/Vista/DRM" thread.
Unfortunatly that wont happen anymore. Id love for it to, but it wont. Didnt we have an official "Bash MS" thread around here? What became of that?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #30
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Don't waste your time with him, put him on your ignore list. So click on his name, you'll find it under User CP/ Miscellaneous/Buddy/Ignore List. Odin, is a character of it's own. If he likes to behave like a child let him have his fun. You won't be disturbed by any of his pictures if you do it, the only thing you see is that he posted something and that you do not wish to see it, which is a great thing .
And that's why you are on my ignore list. It just so happens that you make about every post, ABOUT EVERY POST, about "DRM IS EVERWURE! MS and VISTA SUCK BIG ONES!" What does that have to do about Open-Source products? NOTHING. So stop being a hypocrite.

Now, back to the topic.

Some open source is on par with commercial software. But most of it isn't for one reason... money. Open Source products by more powerful people will be better. OO.o is an example. It's on par with Office. It's open source. Take a look at some open-source game. None of them are good. They might have some sort of gameplay and that might be good but seriously, it has to look decent. Most of the things don't look decent. That's why some stuff fails.

I'm a fan of some open source products mainly cause they have a dedicated base and try. Some open source stuff dies and well, then you are screwed. But commercial software is good too. MS Office is great, and if you think it sucks just cause it's by MS, well, seriously grow up.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #31
Kevin Wolff

Red face Re: will "open source" software ever be on par with commercial software?
This video is better than all the other videos in this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc
Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #32
8IronBob

You got THAT right... Quite frustrating what he had to go through to get speech recognition to do the right thing.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #33
Hudson

Hahahaha
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 02-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #34
8IronBob

Yep, funnily frustrating, that's where speech recognition goes this day in age. Almost reminds me of a PS2 game or something where you had to use voice recognition to play some sort of strategy game.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #35
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
Unfortunatly that wont happen anymore. Id love for it to, but it wont. Didnt we have an official "Bash MS" thread around here? What became of that?
We did, I think it died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
And that's why you are on my ignore list. It just so happens that you make about every post, ABOUT EVERY POST, about "DRM IS EVERWURE! MS and VISTA SUCK BIG ONES!" What does that have to do about Open-Source products? NOTHING. So stop being a hypocrite.

Now, back to the topic.

Some open source is on par with commercial software. But most of it isn't for one reason... money. Open Source products by more powerful people will be better. OO.o is an example. It's on par with Office. It's open source. Take a look at some open-source game. None of them are good. They might have some sort of gameplay and that might be good but seriously, it has to look decent. Most of the things don't look decent. That's why some stuff fails.

I'm a fan of some open source products mainly cause they have a dedicated base and try. Some open source stuff dies and well, then you are screwed. But commercial software is good too. MS Office is great, and if you think it sucks just cause it's by MS, well, seriously grow up.
Both excellent points. Thanks Zul.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #36
mon2908
Quote:
Okay, even if you ignore me someone who does not have me on his ignore list can tell you.

If it goes on quality and the amount you have to consider that Microsoft spend for the development of their product, it seems they failed to do even one thing right.

So, what is an os? An os is the connecting part between the Software you want to run on your machine and the hardware you want to use to make it possible. Nothing more. What is Windows Vista? A piece of software that lacks in compatibility if you keep the hardware support in mind and that takes away users ability to control the content of his system. A perverted interpretation of an operating system if you ask me.

So what does it have to do with open source or GNU software? Microsoft was this inspired to take this much from MacOS and Linux that they fully oversaw, what an operating system is meant to be used for.

They created a 'monster' that will eat your disk capacity, your memory but compared to Windows 95 offers nothing else that makes usability easier or improves the management of your data, except this wonderful file finder. Problem is, that most people don't know anymore, where they are physically placed so that they can backup their content or worse, also forget to backup the content that is needed to keep this file consistant. (For example, a word file that uses links to some pictures, if you transfer the file on another machine every link is broken.)

So compared to the very first Microsoft Disk Operating System, where you where able to have the complete control over your content you today face an os that, needs some registry entries, spreads his files all over your system and where you must go and track everything else manually, to find out where it has it's place to be sure that a restore of your backup has any success.

So, what are the improvements
You have six different versions of Windows Vista that offer a different management of users. (An improvement? Definately not)

File Management
Registry, Files, Depending Files, DRM (Any improvement? Definately not. You have to fear that you can't keep your paid content if you transfer it to another machine)

User Interface
3D Desktop looks cool and helps you to keep track of your running applications (Any improvements? Yes of course, not doubt about it, but nothing that you can't get on any other os yet, because it was plagiated.)

Management of System Resources
Forget about it. The Kernel is an improved W2K Kernel that was based on a NT4 System Kernel, nothing new here, no complete rewrite. Disk Space and memory management? No new file system (not even journaling), Memory? God, why does this os need two gigs of ram?

Open Source Operating System Linux or BSD?
Adjustable Kernel, More than one Journaling File System, identical user management in nearly every flavour of Linux and BSD + OpenLDAP (if you need it), FHS ( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ). Small Programs with small tasks that can piped to allow you everything you want to do with your files. Adjustable Graphical User Interface on top of a XWindow Manager that comes with it's own network protocols (Terminal server, par excellance). Improved hardware support (First time better than in Windows) and the very best of it?
It is open source and GNU.

Odin, your Get the Fuc.. off pictures please?

But remember, I am on topic.

Update: By the way, do us all a favour an put me on your ignore list, please.
Last edited by mon2908; 02-20-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #37
Fraeon Waser Duhni

Am I the only one with the need to point out that open source software can in fact be commercial too? (Saga of Ryzom, anyone?)

Quote:
Take a look at some open-source game. None of them are good. They might have some sort of gameplay and that might be good but seriously, it has to look decent. Most of the things don't look decent. That's why some stuff fails.
Yay for being vague. The fact is that leaving the realm of AAA titles leaves very few games with state of the art graphics. Nexuiz, Warsow, Ur-Quan Masters and Battle for Wesnoth at least have graphics all that do their job.

Quote:
Some open source stuff dies and well, then you are screwed.
Just like companies pull the plug on old versions of software leaving you without support?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #38
sirlemonhead

I just think it's hilarious he comes to this forum of all places, and barely (if ever?) actually posts about anything game related...
Old 02-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #39
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraeon Waser Duhni View Post
Just like companies pull the plug on old versions of software leaving you without support?
New version > Total death of product
Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #40
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
New version > Total death of product
Actully opensource software never dies, since they relase the source and it is on the internet, SOMEONE has it on an ftp or archived on a site, but if I wanted something like Microsoft DOS 2.1 you won't find it anywhere, (no P2P networks dont count, I mean legally.)

And New Verson is not always better then total death of a product, back when I used to use Windows, I loved ICQ99, since ICQ2000 ICQ should have died a horrible death.