Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Zap! Some History Resurrected
Apogee Software was founded in 1987 by Scott Miller in the bedroom of his parents' house. He ran it there by himself for quite some time as a very small "mom & pop" type organization, until it became what it is today. Anyway, one of Scott's friends growing up was George Broussard. The two of them used to do all kinds of things before they became involved in video games. Worked at burger joints, miniature golf courses, but one other thing they did was manage video arcades. Kids who grew up in the early/mid 80's should remember the huge popularity of video game arcades. Another thing that was popular then were books on how to beat video games. This was something that was not lost on Scott & George, and the two of them set out to strike it rich with their own book on beating video games.

The book was titled "Shootout: Zap the Video Games", and it was released in 1982. Here's a few words from Scott (from an old plan file update) on the book, and the thought behind releasing it.
In '82, we formed the NVGPA (National Video Game Players Assoc.), and we were writing a newsletter, but then the opportunity came for us to write a strategy book on how to beat the top arcade games of the day, so we pursued that. too. We really thought the book was going to make us rich. I remember running the book's potential sale's figures though my mind: In each of the top 250 cities there must be a least an average of 10,000 game players, and if just 100 of them bought our book that would be 25,000 sales, plus in all the remaining cities we should count on at least 5 more books sold in each, which should add another 25,000 sales. And with each sale George and I get $1 each. Wow, that's more money than we can make in 5 real years of work--we'd be rich!
This book is virtually impossible to find, as only a very small number of copies were printed. If you want to try and track down a physical copy, the ISBN number for the book is 0941982017. If you are successful in doing that, we'd like to know how and where you actually found one.

Today in honor of the 25th anniversary of the book being released, we're bringing you a file you can download to check out. Scott sacrificed one of the few known existing copies left so we could scan it in, and make it available online. The few copies that survive aren't in great shape, but are good enough to be readable, so without further adieu, you can click here to download an 11Mb pdf file. If you don't have a pdf reader, go grab the Adobe Reader, it's free.

A few other notes.. The book mentions the NVGPA that Scott talks about, including a form you used to be able to mail in to join. Don't do that. It doesn't exist anymore. Also, unlike other books that have turned up on the Internet this week in pdf form, nothing exciting happens on page 631.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
RedSplat

Re: Zap! Some History Resurrected
Nice.

How obsessed do you have to be to figure out the patterns in Pac Man. (Page 55).

Who are the two chicks on the back cover?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
MegaMustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSplat View Post
Who are the two chicks on the back cover?
I think their names are Georgina, and Scotty.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #4
ColdCat

This is wonderful! Thank you for the release!

"Don't just play. Win! That's what it's all about."
Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
JobivanHiob

Scott and George, two true pioneers in gaming. Can you see the passion in their eyes. I deeply respect that you never gave up on you dreams!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
DavoX

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, THAT PICTURE!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE WORLD HAS COME TO AN END!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH IT'S THE END OF THE UNIVERSE!!!! LOOK AT GEORGE ROFLMAO!!!! Chick magnet .
Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Kalki

Sweet pic!

Temporal anomaly detected on Page 1:
Quote:
"He's gonna be there FOREVER,"
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 07-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
DavoX

Heh. yeah I noticed that too
Old 07-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
MegaMustaine

Is it just me, or does Scott look like he is high as hell?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:31 AM   #10
JobivanHiob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoX View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, THAT PICTURE!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE WORLD HAS COME TO AN END!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH IT'S THE END OF THE UNIVERSE!!!! LOOK AT GEORGE ROFLMAO!!!! Chick magnet .
i thought that too
Spoiler:
Old 07-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
Simon Charles

About time we finally saw that fabled picture. Hey, Scott and George already looked badass back then. Who would have thought that twenty years later they'd lock up 30 programmers and artists in an office to make the perfect game.

Pheonix looks like the original game that I know as Falcons for the Apple II. Great game. Loved it.

-Hercule Poirot
Last edited by Simon Charles; 07-22-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
ShadeEX

Hehe nice book.. although I have yet to finish reading it..

That picture is awsome hehehe
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 07-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
Simon Charles

Didn't Joe said George would fire him if the pic ever got posted?

-Hercule Poirot
Old 07-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
JobivanHiob

did George really said that?
I don't know why he doesn't like the picture. I like it!
is it against the rules to use this pic as my avatar?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
Kalki

It was either George or Scott. Don't know why, it's a nice picture. Nothing to be embarrassed about...

That said, I wouldn't mind if the Camera Caption Contest were back for just this one. :notgonnahappenIknow:
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #16
Gamebrain

That pic is begging for a photoshop!

Its so friggin awesome!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #17
Funduke

Smile Re: Zap! Some History Resurrected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
Sweet pic!

Temporal anomaly detected on Page 1:

*"He's gonna be there FOREVER!"*
That's my favorite quote, too!

Edit: Thanks to Joe3dr, for posting this!

Greetings
Funduke
Last edited by Funduke; 07-23-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #18
Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
Is it just me, or does Scott look like he is high as hell?
Haha yes, it does look like it
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
naddie
Lots of time on your hands!

I wrote up move lists for the MK, KI and SF series. Sold them to patrons at the arcades who frequently play them. Got to use my MS Word skills.