Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
CraigFatman

New LEBuild release
I've just released a new version of LEBuild, an advanced level editor for Duke Nukem 3D which isn't based on original Build editor. Now, it's 1.0 Final version with multilingual GUI (english is set by default). Unfortunately, there's no english help in this version yet, so you may examine menus and watch attached real-time demos. =) There's also plenty of demo maps distributed with the editor. LEBuild is available on my homepage, here's the link: http://lezsite.narod.ru/files/lebuildr.rar. If there will be redirect page, click the link on it.
Last edited by CraigFatman; 03-01-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
DeeperThought

Re: New LEBuild release
This is an amazing project! Any plans to provide English documentation?

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
CraigFatman

Quote:
Any plans to provide English documentation?
I plan to release an international version sometime. But... I doubt I could translate 90 kilobytes of text correctly because English isn't my native language. Probably, only if someone of russian fellows join the project...
Old 03-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
TerminX

Very impressive...
Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Mr. Pink

I wonder if a little wiki action would help facilitate translating. I for one would gladly help polishing rough translations.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Hudson

Wow man that's amazing
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 03-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
johndough

I had an error.
I did Service > Launch Demo File... > Affine1.lbd
And it got to here...
Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Western Shinobi

OM JEBUS! Look forward to seeing the international verison!

http://www.vigilantec.com/
http://www.westernshinobi.com/
Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Delta

Wow.

I just watched the Lighting demo, and I'm pretty much blown away. LEBuild is... crazy, to say the least. And I mean that in a good way.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Hellbound

It's amazing that anyone is on for making any level editors for 96' game.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #11
Dopefish7590

DUDE!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #12
CraigFatman

Quote:
I had an error.
I did Service > Launch Demo File... > Affine1.lbd
And it got to here...
Note that you should play all the demos with original Duke tilesets. There must be DUKE3D.GRP or extracted ART files in the directory with LEBuild executable. It's better to move the editor to the same directory with Duke.
Sorry, LEBuild had badly tested on lack of tiles and zero-sized textures in the map are considered as critical errors. In such cases the editor may lose stability. If the floor/ceiling tile position correction is enabled (as it is in the demo), you shouldn't move sectors with zero-sized ceiling or floor textures.

Quote:
I just watched the Lighting demo, and I'm pretty much blown away.
I'd left two map bugs in this demo.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
Dopefish7590

I got an error by clicking the greyed out scrollbar in the "Run script" Menu.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
The Commander

I sorta tried converting the Russian "LEBuild_readme_rus.txt" into an english one that some people might understand but the last two parts I didnt know how to word properly because I was using Babel Fish...

Important notes:
* For LEBuild to work correctly, LEBuild must be located in the folder, where the DUKE3D.GRP file or ART files are located, also Names.h and Sounds.h must be placed in the same folder.
(Names.h and Sounds.h are both surplied with LEBuild)

* The LEBuildD folder must be located in the same folder as LEBuild.exe

Sorry didnt know how to word these last two...
* if on your working table many ikonok, you be careful upon transfer into the polnoekrannyy regime - it is better previously to be switched to another working table.

* without it the pressure of keys to NumPad'e LEBuild it will not perceive.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #15
CraigFatman

Quote:
I got an error by clicking the greyed out scrollbar in the "Run script" Menu.
Looks like that scrollbars cause glitches when number of list items/lines coinsides with page size. I've fixed such behavior. By a strange reason I'd set "more or equal" instead of "more" condition in the processing procedure...

Quote:
I sorta tried converting the Russian "LEBuild_readme_rus.txt"
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25521, post #22. Besides this, you might have to switch Windows to another desktop before entering fullscreen mode if you have many icons on it to conserve their positions.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #16
Spiker

Good stuff, I've seen some of these maps very long ago. I'm looking forward to development of this editor and maps using it. Maybe I will try it myself someday
Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #17
Quakis

I really do like the features, just a shame a lack of knowledge how to approach some of them. My favourites would be the maps with the circle sprite work which would be really difficult and time consuming to look good and accurate by hand. Good stuff here otherwise, I'd probably use a few of the features myself.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
CraigFatman

A new version of my editor has been released, LEBuild 1.0.1, featuring some new capabilities in Duke mapping; also I've fixed variety of bugs. Sorry, there's still no English documentation...

Download: http://lezsite.narod.ru/files/leb101.rar. If there will be redirect, click the highlighted link.

What's new:
Code:
v 1.0.1

- Some bugs fixed;
  - Fixed CTRL+ENTER in 3D mode;
  - Changed camera tilting control in 3D mode to NUMPAD1 and NUMPAD3 keys;
  - Fixed loading tilesets when some ART files in the middle are missing;
  - First walls of each sector are now indicated by dot lines when the walls are shown as vectors;
  - Tile categories now are listed in TILESETS.DAT file, revised W key jumping between interconnected sprites;
  - Fixed display of move, rotation and scale mouse pointers;
  - New demo file AMBIGTOP.LBD;
  - New scripts added:
      * Negate wall xpanning;
      * Translate sector slope;
      * Random tiles (uniform);
      * Swap sprite tags;
      * Replace tiles by accordance;
      * Increase functional tags;
      * Radial array of sprites;
      * Loft object get shape;
      * Loft object get path;
      * Get wall shade from opposite;
      * Pan sector textures;
      * Align sector slope to wall;
      * Mark out invisible walls;
Last edited by CraigFatman; 07-05-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
timothy2
I think that the only thing you need to make your editor even better, is to make it friendly with people that used Build or mapster. I think you should really make the basic movements and keys the EXACT same as mapster, and then evolve from that.

I mean, I have 5 years of build experience and when I got into Lebuild...I couldn't do a single room! let alone set a player start or change settings the way I used to...that put me off of Lebuild unfortunately.

It's like the common mistake mappers do...make their maps only finishable by themselves...they know the secrets, they know were the items are, they know what path to follow, etc....but the other people is clueless...please consider it
Last edited by timothy2; 07-05-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Blade Nightflame

This is seriously lookin' good, man. o.o

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #21
CraigFatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
I think that the only thing you need to make your editor even better, is to make it friendly with people that used Build or mapster. I think you should really make the basic movements and keys the EXACT same as mapster, and then evolve from that.
I tried to do this from the first. Appearing as a logical evolution of Build editor, LEBuild not only shows 2D map in a similar manner, but uses the same keys for most of basic operations, such as zooming, drawing sectors, creating sprites, changing textures, deleting objects, creating wall-based arcs, assigning altitudes and slopes, hi-tags and lo-tags, sector joining etc... in this field you could count the differences on the fingers of one hand.

So I used Alt+F11 shortcut for activating 3D view, because Windows processes LEnter and REnter as the same key. Movement control in 3D is set to WASD. In 2D mode you must use Ctrl+E instead of E to shrink/expand sector textures, and Ctrl+P instead of P to toggle parallax (P is used to change pal); Shift+S changes sector shade. Hit Alt+R instead of R to change sprite orientations (R works for floor/ceiling relativity), Alt+S and Alt+P allow to change shades and pals of sprites. Selection by area now works relating to current selecting mode when Alt key is held.

Note that all the editing operations are accessible directly from 2D mode. The only thing you have to do is switching between floors and ceilings pressing backspace key. And, of course, enable display of sector and sprite textures. Excepting these nuances, you may realize basic capabilities of LEBuild almost the same way as you do in Build.
Last edited by CraigFatman; 07-06-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:01 AM   #22
Spiker

Without an english documentation I'm not gonna touch it! I've tried once already!

I also don't like the fact that some effects waste a huge number of walls so it's not too good for larga maps.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 AM   #23
CraigFatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
I also don't like the fact that some effects waste a huge number of walls so it's not too good for larga maps.
This problem is present actually. In my current map LPT I've already reached the amounts of 1844 sectors and 14497 walls due to high detail stuff, so it's less than 2048 walls are remained to limit; but the gameplay isn't so very prolonged though. Therefore, I'm trying to pay attention to its quality...
Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #24
Usurper

The "snap to vertex" mode works really well with the slice tool. That and the ability to mass-tag a selected group of sectors has saved me a lot of time today.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #25
XTHX2

Well, as far as I know, we can increase the max limit of walls/sectors/sprites from mapster. Can we?

Other than that. I got a question. How do you go to 3D mode in your builder? I've been trying to find it for 3 days but still no progress... Is it the Z-view thing?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #26
Kenny mckormick
LEBuild map don't have trouble with DPmap?

I have tried some demomap with DP,and the only bug found,is the sound of boot of duke on the...water
Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #27
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny mckormick View Post
LEBuild map don't have trouble with DPmap?

I have tried some demomap with DP,and the only bug found,is the sound of boot of duke on the...water
I doubt he knows what you're talking about. Duke Plus maps are just like regular maps except they use the EXTRA, XVEL, YVEL and ZVEL on sprites as tags, which aren't normally used. As long as LEBuild starts those at 0 (or -1 for EXTRA) and allows the mapper to change them, and saves the changes with the map, then there should be no problem.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #28
alphagod
:O great editor! Finally tried it out and I've been jawdropped
Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #29
CraigFatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTHX2 View Post
Well, as far as I know, we can increase the max limit of walls/sectors/sprites from mapster. Can we?

Other than that. I got a question. How do you go to 3D mode in your builder? I've been trying to find it for 3 days but still no progress... Is it the Z-view thing?
In LEBuild, the limits are set to 4096/32768/16384. This is nearly the practical limit, 'cause there are 3-4 sprites and 7-8 walls per each sector in regular maps, and Build engine uses only two bytes to address the walls (signed short type).

In relation to 3D mode, it's always accessible from Service menu and via ALT+F11 shortcut (in this case the camera will be situated at crosshair pointer). When established, it prepares polygonal representation of current map by triangulating all the non-frozen sectors. There's WASD movement control; hold right mouse button to look around. The built-in software renderer works very slowly due to VB coding and lack of many optimizing techniques; but you can go outside the map and observe it from void space. Some editing capabilities are available directly from 3D view.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #30
XTHX2

Yeah, I can at last have some use of it. I just got one question left though. How can I load my own game palette to it? I have my own palette.dat.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #31
CraigFatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTHX2 View Post
Yeah, I can at last have some use of it. I just got one question left though. How can I load my own game palette to it? I have my own palette.dat.
LEBuild stores the game palette in LEBUILDD\DUKEPAL.PAL file. It's in JASC palette format that can be opened with Paint Shop Pro. When you have modified it, delete COLORTAB.DAT file and launch LEBuild to let it generate new color conversion tables; whereupon a new game palette should be used.
Unfortunately, there's no chance to customize shade and lookup palette tables, because LEBuild uses its own color conversions.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #32
XTHX2

Well only thing I needed was the gamepal and it works now. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #33
CraigFatman

So, it's time for 1.0.2 update. There are several fixes and new things to check out. But English help is still pending...
Download: http://lezsite.narod.ru/files/leb102.rar. If there will be redirect, click the highlighted link.

Here's the changelog:

Code:
v 1.0.2

- Fixed sector floor/ceiling reseting in 3D mode;
  - Fixed wall pointer checking when pasting and map merging;
  - Fixed some crosshair pointer display issues;
  - Fixed figured modeling sector restoring when undoing;
  - Fixed vertex displacing when SHIFT is held;
  - Fixed an error when interpreter is used in object properties dialog;
  - Floors and ceilings with tiles not dimensioned the powers of two are now textured another way in 3D mode;
  - Added command line parameter -sbs allowing to watch phases of initialization step by step by pressing spacebar;
  - Fixed keyboard command tip displaying;
  - Demos don't stop by key in the first 64 frames (to prevent stopping when launching with Enter);
  - LEBuild settings now restore when finishing demo playback;
  - Fixed wall mask texture displaying;
  - Object freezing now can be controlled via Edit menu;
  - Wall topology now checked before deleting sector;
  - Improved array out-of-bound protection;
  - Fixed "Path not found" error when accessing to non-existing folder;
  - Fixed overflow error when setting SE/MUSICANDSFX/sector tags to out-of-range values;
  - Script fixed: Increase functional tags;
  - Object parameters now can be changed in quick info box (~ key);
  - New demo file: SCTSPLIT.LBD;
  - Demo file LIGHTING.LBD replaced with LIGHTIN1.LBD and LIGHTIN2.LBD;
  - New demo map: RELIEF2.MAP;
  - New script added:
      * Complete isoline landscape;
Last edited by CraigFatman; 09-21-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #34
Usurper

Even if there's no English documentation, I recall the interface being available in English.

I found what looks like a language toggle in the top right corner, but it didn't have any effect. Can you confirm whether the English interface is still available?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #35
HellFire

I had the same "problem"... I couldnt understand rusian, and that button doesnt work... Then i searched in the menus for an option to change it to english and i found one, if u search in the menus you will find...
Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #36
CraigFatman

Hmmm... I forgot to set default language to English in the config file before releasing... so I have to upload the fixed archive on the site again. Though, you may hit F8, then select English from the list and click OK. The "button" in top right corner just indicates the language of keyboard entry.
Last edited by CraigFatman; 09-22-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #37
LipSheZ

A very nice editor!
Totalduke.narod.ru - restored famous Russian Duke3d Website!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #38
CarThief

Hmm... I would want to try the thing, but the page i reach upon trying to download i dont understand a bit of!
All the links i tried on that site dont do anything. Perhaps upload it somewhere that is in english?

Hmm... Seeing the posts, hope the editor is understandable.
I'll probaly wont need anything special for it as well, i rarely make TC's or the likes.
Hamachi - Network: CTTest3, password: gta2
Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #39
The Commander

The interface is nothing like mapster if thats what your hoping for,

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #40
CarThief

I kind of mean downloading, i come across some odd page my computer cant even put into english letters! And all links dont seem to do anything usefull. :P

The file is possibily removed, secured, or replaced?
Or i dont have acces to it from here, no matter how strange the interface sounds, if it is usefull, easy to cooperate with, and possibily well chosen keys, im surely willing to try. Well, as soon as i find a working download. :P
Hamachi - Network: CTTest3, password: gta2