Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #41
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread Part 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
...you wont be blown away like the console reviewers were...
Ah, I had forgotten that little detail. I think my question has just been answered.

(Not saying GTA 4 is a bad game, but I have noticed that console reviewers seem more easily impressed than their PC counterparts.)

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-29-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #42
8IronBob

Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread Part 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamplet View Post
can everyone let us know what version you are playing.

My pal sent me this link and i am scared. Although i think i have a newer 40gb system, but no clue if it's tied to the game itself or ps3 hardware.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...v-plagued-bugs
Yip-dee-doo, first Bully Scholarship Edition, now this...

I also own a 40GB PS3, with a custom upgrade to a Toshiba 160GB HDD (hey, at least that matches the brand of the Cell Processor inside the PS3), and to me, I'm hoping that won't be significant when it comes to the way this game will play. Can't comment about what it would mean, obviously, since I don't have the game (still pending for shipment from Amazon).
Last edited by 8IronBob; 04-29-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #43
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Ah, I had forgotten that little detail. I think my question has just been answered.
Well, if believing that makes life easier, go with it
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #44
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread Part 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
Well, if believing that makes life easier, go with it
Not that it was making my life difficult in anyway, but I think it does satisfactorily answer my question (see my edit above).

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #45
Scream

For anyone who hasn't taken a cab ride yet, try it. You have the option once you get in a cab to actually sit back and enjoy the ride, or skip to your destination. I sat back and used the thumbstick to look around, and it's a very authentic experience to actually sitting as a passenger in the back of a car. What's great about it is that you REALLY get to appreciate how incredibly real the gameworld is. It completely blew my mind. Just driving down a street and checking out the side crossing streets as you pass them was so authentic feeling. Seeing pedestrians going about their business, traffic lights changing at intersections that your're not even driving through, it all gives you the feeling that it's a world that is going on whether you're there or not. Seriously, I've never seen anything in a game that approached how real it all feels. I certainly wouldn't sit back and enjoy the ride all the time as it's very slow (they actually obey the rules of the road for the most part), but try it once to experience it.

Funny 360 Achievement Spoiler (non-story related):

Spoiler:

Tried multiplayer briefly. Not even sure what game mode I was playing but there seemed to be 2 teams with no real objective other than to go nuts killing each other. I haven't actually acquired a projectile weapon yet in the campaign, so it was my first shot at the targetting system. The lock-on worked very well. I killed 5 guys in about 5 minutes of play, some with guns and some running them over with a vehicle. Anyway, I wanted to get back to the campaign, but everything in the multiplayer is as advertised. Full real world experience with a big whack of people. Didn't seem to have any performance issues either.
Last edited by Scream; 04-29-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #46
MegaMustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Interesting, because based on what I've read, it's just a refined Grand Theft Auto with the same mission structure clunkiness of its predecessors. And that deserves a perfect 10? I remain baffled. I wonder what people will be saying in a few weeks when the "shine" has worn off?
I played it last night, and to be honest it is GTA. Nothing more and nothing less. The graphics were not that impressive and the controls are very awkward. Oh and the multiplayer sucks big time. Basically it is autoaim at a guy and shoot. If you are a fan of GTA you will like the game, but I for one think this outing is just as overrated as all of the others.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #47
8IronBob

Well, just so long as this game is better than Saints Row, then I'm all for this.
Even tho some of the same stuff from that game appears to be in here, according to what's reported.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #48
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
I played it last night, and to be honest it is GTA. Nothing more and nothing less. The graphics were not that impressive and the controls are very awkward. Oh and the multiplayer sucks big time. Basically it is autoaim at a guy and shoot. If you are a fan of GTA you will like the game, but I for one think this outing is just as overrated as all of the others.
I simply don't believe that it's the same as other GTA games. Number of mentioned inovations proove me that. How much time you invested in it? Maybe it's too early to tell.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #49
Scream

Quote:

Not to say that your opinion is invalid, but I think it's fairly obvious that you didn't give the game much of a chance. How long did you play it for? Oh, and enabling auto-aim is the choice of the game host. It can be turned off.

I would hazard a guess that you didn't like the previous GTA games, and to anyone who really didn't like those at all, I would agree it's unlikely you're going to like this as it's very similar in it's formula. It is however heavily refined in a lot of areas. It's going to come down to taste, and for most people this is going to be a fun gaming experience.
Last edited by Scream; 04-29-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #50
Daveman

It's also relevant to note that if the simplicity of the lock-on system bothers you, you can use cover and stuff. Or you can steal a car and run your enemies over. I don't think the multiplayer draw is really towards deathmatch anyway.

SSBB: 0087-2275-1699
PSN ID: DavishBliff
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #51
Burfid

You can actually hide from the cops in this game. Unlike in the other GTA games where they always knew where you were and swarmed directly to your position.

I had cops chasing me on foot and i got quite a bit of a head start and hid in in a doorway in an alley and it took the cops awhile before they tracked my location. Some ran right past me and kept on going
Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #52
MegaMustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream View Post
Not to say that your opinion is invalid, but I think it's fairly obvious that you didn't give the game much of a chance. How long did you play it for? Oh, and enabling auto-aim is the choice of the game host. It can be turned off.

I would hazard a guess that you didn't like the previous GTA games, and to anyone who really didn't like those at all, I would agree it's unlikely you're going to like this as it's very similar in it's formula. It is however heavily refined in a lot of areas. It's going to come down to taste, and for most people this is going to be a fun gaming experience.
I played the game for a good 2 hours. It isn't that it is a bad game, but it is severely overrated IMHO. The biggest problem I have is with the controls themselves. They just plain suck. They are an exact replica of the Manhunt 2 control scheme. I don't understand why they don't have something like a Max Payne control scheme instead of the clunky scheme that is in place. This is especially important to me with the MP. Autoaim can be turned off but I don't see that happening much, and to be honest the controls really need the auto aim.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #53
Wamplet

Autoaim is optional as a server setting.

Also, I seem to have posted in the wrong thread earlier, where i asked about the Banshee.

I was wondering if it was in the game or not and according to my strategy guide, it is \o
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #54
Daveman

Quote:
I played the game for a good 2 hours. It isn't that it is a bad game, but it is severely overrated IMHO. The biggest problem I have is with the controls themselves. They just plain suck. They are an exact replica of the Manhunt 2 control scheme. I don't understand why they don't have something like a Max Payne control scheme instead of the clunky scheme that is in place. This is especially important to me with the MP. Autoaim can be turned off but I don't see that happening much, and to be honest the controls really need the auto aim.
Did you play the previous games? From what I understand the controls are more or less exactly the same...which is good for those of us who invested 30+ hours on each of the others and are used to them already.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #55
Scream

Quote:
If people choose to not turn off the auto-aim then I have to assume that's because most people like it. I've never played a Manhunt game, but so far I have no problem with the controls.

I'd also like to know what you played the game on as far as a TV goes, as I am quite sure this is the best looking large scale dynamic (meaning it actually is inhabited) urban environment ever created. I'm playing on a 32" HD set and it looks fantastic. What games(s) are you comparing it to that you think look better?

Anyway, I'm not saying the game will be the greatest thing ever as it's huge and I've only played a small portion of it. So far however I think it's really well done. I liked GTA3, I loved GTAVC, and I didn't really like GTASA much at all. Anyone who enjoyed any or all of those games owes it to themselves to check this one out IMO. The quality and attention to detail goes way beyond what most developers produce.

Edit: I see you voted in the thread concerning which platform you'd be getting GTA4 for that you wouldn't be buying it at all, making that decision before the game was released. I'm going to make a big leap here and guess that's because you didn't like the previous games. While that doesn't invalidate your opinion that the game doesn't live up to the hype, it is a big qualifier. It's like the opinion of a movie critic on a movie in a genre he hates. You have to factor in the fact that he simply doesn't like horror flicks when he tells you Evil Dead is a piece of crap.

Just spent $250 on private dances at the strip club. Damn. She does one dance for you and you're given the option to get another. She ratchets up what she's doing a bit, so of course you have to pay some more to see how far she'll go. By the time I was done I was almost broke. Art imitates life.
Last edited by Scream; 04-29-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #56
bobthefish

this game will be the mark of the first time i have ever withdrawn money from my bank account. (ive only ever put money in. being 17 and living with my parents, i havnt needed money in forever )
Old 04-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #57
Wamplet

If someone has a chance, post a picture of the GTA 4 Banshee for me. \o
Old 04-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #58
Daveman

Wamplet, I saw one gameplay video of the player stealing what looked like a Banshee from an auto shop surrounded by glass, just like the first Banshee you can get in GTA3.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #59
Wamplet

ahhh NICE.

I am guessing it's that Eroticar place.

That shop in GTA 3 was the coolest area EVAR.

If you evar needed a reliable car and wanted to make a scene, just fire up the game and take a quick ride over to the auto dealer and break that car out of there. I always loved driving it out through the glass.

Best Car Evar.

I'm still mad that the guide didn't include a pic of all the cars. I wanted to see what all was in there as well as their names and price.

It looked like the guide just lists a handful of cars for the wanted cars side mission and i scanned the text and saw it in the list.

Also, can anyone explain the flying rats?

It seems they replaced the packages, but the guide doesnt elaborate or maybe i just didn't read it, but are they just little statues or what?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #60
Steve

Quote:

Also, can anyone explain the flying rats?

It seems they replaced the packages, but the guide doesnt elaborate or maybe i just didn't read it, but are they just little statues or what?
Those have replaced the packages. Just shoot the pigeon I've found one so far.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #61
Bushido

Yingyang Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread Part 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Those have replaced the packages. Just shoot the pigeon I've found one so far.
...I'm gonna say it again Steve: I HATE YOU...

P.S Amazon.ca can kiss my ass for not shipping my goddamn game yet...
Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #62
Daveman

Quote:
ahhh NICE.

I am guessing it's that Eroticar place.

That shop in GTA 3 was the coolest area EVAR.

If you evar needed a reliable car and wanted to make a scene, just fire up the game and take a quick ride over to the auto dealer and break that car out of there. I always loved driving it out through the glass.

Best Car Evar.
Yeah, that was always the place to go to get a nice car to take for a drive. It was even better to get the nice cars in San Andreas because of the proper highways and high-speed motion blur. There are a few places from what I've seen in GTA 4 that look like definite throwbacks to GTA 3's Liberty City. The one that really looks exactly the same is the bridge from the Bronx/Brooklyn (whatever it is, I'm not from New York) area to the Manhattan area. It looks to be the exact same, and there are videos showing a police roadblock to try and stop Niko from plowing through. It looks awesome.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #63
MegaMustaine

I played the game on a 32inch Samsung 1080p TV on a 360. As far as the graphics go, they were not terrible by any means but they were not the 10 that they were rated. I like the attention to detail such as paper flying everywhere when you hit a trashcan and such, but the character models are just okay and the textures could use some work. The cars and lighting were pretty good but I felt that the graphics just as everything else was overhyped. Did I have a predisposed notion about the game? Absolutely, but the videos and things I saw made it look alright. I definitely played the game with an open mind and really wanted to try it and enjoy it. Why the hell else would I go to my buddy's house at 1 am to try it? I have said in my previous post that if you have liked GTA before, you will like this one but there is nothing really new added. The videos of the game made the character controls look decent when in reality they suck. Go play Scarface, another sandbox game to feel the difference in controls and see what they could have been. Oh and for the record I didn't like Scarface either, but the controls made the game a much easier experience to enjoy. I would say that GTA IV is much like Hitman: Blood Money. If you liked the previous entries in the series you will like it as it is more of the same with little changes and refinements here and there plus a significant graphical upgrade from the previous installment. If you didn't like previous installments there is nothing here to change your mind. For the record I do love Hitman.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #64
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
...I'm gonna say it again Steve: I HATE YOU...

P.S Amazon.ca can kiss my ass for not shipping my goddamn game yet...
Hehe... Sounds like you're in the same dilemma I'm in. At least I'm feeling better that I'm not alone.
I'll feel even better if Amazon can ship it tonight or tomorrow morning, and send that thing over here.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #65
Ras

It's unfair that the PS3 Special Edition gets the hot babe sucking a lollipop on the cover, while 360 owners are stuck with Niko's ugly mug.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #66
RedSplat

Anyone else found this easter egg?

-Click for full size-
Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #67
Scream

I just played an hour of Cops N Crooks and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Everyone is equally confused at the moent and the city is so huge it's gonna take a while to get the hang of it, but we were laughing our asses off playing it. The party system works nicely so you can hook up with your Friends (accessible through your cell phone to save you going to the Live dashboard), and then join a game together.

Anyway, lots of fun. Getting one person to drive while the passenger sets waypoints for him is the way to go it seems, and when you get in close to them it's nuts, everyone firing out of their vehicles at one another and running each other down. Good stuff.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #68
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSplat View Post

-Click for full size-
Yes, I believe you can thank Take Two/3D Realms relations for that one.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #69
Wamplet

I think i am the only one here actually hoping i don't get the game today.

I want to try to finish Thief 2 over the next 2 days.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #70
KaiserSoze

Quote:

-Click for full size-
Now that is brilliant!
Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #71
Dogy

I came home and my dad bought the game for me, of course using my money. He said that it was at the front of our local BB since there were so many people coming in to buy it.

I already did the first Little J mission and have my pistol. So... I've already engaged into firefights with cops. Wow, what a difference. The cover system makes or breaks your survival, and the AI is much much smarter. They flanked me numerous amounts of times and when the SWAT team came, I just shat myself.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #72
Sang

Quote:

-Click for full size-
December 19 was a Wednesday.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #73
Wamplet

Oh No Re: Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread Part 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
December 19 was a Wednesday.
Good eye, so that begs the question: is there a second trailer?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #74
RedSplat

What you talking about.. http://www.3drealms.com/news/2007/12..._released.html
december the 19th..right there. Grr.
Last edited by RedSplat; 04-29-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #75
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Good eye, so that begs the question: is there a second trailer?
What are you guys talking about? Good Lord.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50464
http://www.3drealms.com/news/2007/12..._released.html

Was released December 19, 2007. Way to ruin a GTA4 thread.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #76
Sang

Oh I didn't mean anything "subliminal" or whatever by that. I merely pointed out December 19 was a Wednesday and not a Friday.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #77
RedSplat

Ah crap.. haha..
Changed it to wednesday..you were right Sang. My bad.
Now the thread can go back to normal.
Last edited by RedSplat; 04-29-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #78
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
What are you guys talking about? Good Lord.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50464
http://www.3drealms.com/news/2007/12..._released.html

Was released December 19, 2007. Way to ruin a GTA4 thread.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #79
Thief

This game seems destined to de-throne Ocarina of Time for the highest rated game of all time...
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #80
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Should I kill the guy hanging on the roof, or should I save him?