Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Interview with Jon St. John
One of the more important names in Duke Nukem lore is that of Jon St. John. Jon has been the voice of Duke Nukem since Duke Nukem 3D first appeared on the scene January 29, 1996. Since then, every Duke Nukem game that has come out (and there's been a lot across all platforms) have made use of the voice talents of Jon. We frequently get asked what he looks like (despite having had his picture on our site since June 1997. But less frequently appearing are interviews with Jon. Well, no more.

The gaming news site ZERG Watch published an interview with Jon back in April, and we wanted to make sure you saw it. In it, they talk to Jon about a great number of things. Jon has a very versatile voice, and has been in a number of other popular games besides the Duke Nukem series, as well as other things outside videogames. It's a cool interview with someone who you don't often hear from in this format. Here's a few snippets from the interview.
Zergwatch: Have you ever answered a telephone using the Duke Nukem voice or have you ever misused or abused the Duke Nukem voice (or any of your other voices) for a laugh that you could share with us?

Jon "Duke" St. John: Oh yeah...many times. I often have friends ask me to place a call to some unsuspecting victim and get medieval on their asses in the Duke voice. I once called a radio morning show on the east coast and harassed the DJ's in Duke's voice...they had recorded the call and ended up using parts of the call over and over again on station promos!

Zergwatch: One of the cool things we found on your website was that you offer a service to make custom Duke recordings. How does that service work and how much does it cost?

Jon "Duke" St. John: It's very simple really...I can record a message of up to 30 seconds in length which is available in any audio format for use as a ring tone, answering machine, etc. for fifty bucks. You email the script to me, Duke says whatever you like, and after you make payment on Pay Pal, or after your check clears the bank, I email the audio back to you. Please keep in mind that I will not say "this is Duke Nukem". I will refer to myself as "Duke" and I will say anything you want me to say...I have no issues with profanity...in fact, I enjoy it!
You'll definitely want to check out the entire article; Jon talks about how he feels being involved with Duke Nukem all these years.

As a side note in Duke Nukem lore, Jon St. John was not the original voice of Duke Nukem. Back in Duke Nukem II, the character spoke two words in the "cinematic opening", those being "I'm Back". That was voiced by 3D Realms staffer Joe Siegler, and the screaming Duke did in that game when he died was by Todd Replogle. But it's been all Jon since then.

If you want to check out some of Jon's versatility, check out these outtakes from the Playstation 1 game, "Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown". Some of them are still darn hysterial, 11+ years later.

NOTE to some of the more pedantic forum members: Yes, I know this was posted about on the forums before. No need to point that out.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Last edited by Joe Siegler; 05-28-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
alexgk

Re: Interview with Jon St. John
Very cool interview, good to read about the man behind The Man...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
niconude

Gotta love that Smithers and Mr. Burns outtake
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Micki!

It's a cool interview... Jon's voice talent is awesome
Wish more interviews with him were around... There should definitely be a podcast one day with him, as Duke's voice
Last edited by Micki!; 05-28-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
timothy2
A new form of media from 3DR gentlemen...recycled news!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
JobivanHiob

I was hyped to read something about an interview on the frontpage and than realised that I already read it.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
A new form of media from 3DR gentlemen...recycled news!
Not really - we never posted it before.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
evanazzo

I could of sworn I read this before
Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
Telee

Crap, had no idea Jon voiced some characters in Call of Cthulhu
Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
alexgk

I didn't know he had a role in Half-Life!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
Reaper_Man

Joe,

How many voice actors did you guys go through until you found "The One"? Did you guys have other voice actors you were thinking about, or did Jon stand out above the crowd? Looking at his IMDB link it looks like Duke3D was Jon's first role - congrats to him for that!
Super AI Project / Duke RTS :: Coming Soon to an Actor near you!
Artificial Intelligence 101 :: Ask AI questions, get AI answers
Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #12
JobivanHiob

You probably read it over at Duke4.net
http://www.duke4.net/news.php?item.184.5
Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
Needle

Everything I want?

So I can pay him to make uncomplimentary comments about 3DR in Dukes voice?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #14
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle View Post
Everything I want?

So I can pay him to make uncomplimentary comments about 3DR in Dukes voice?
Pretty much...

Do it, i dare you
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
supergoofy

Will we hear him in Duke Nukem Forever?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Needle

Only if 3DR pays him fifty bucks.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
Battousai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle View Post
Only if 3DR pays him fifty bucks.
That's for 30 seconds, so from that Jon St. John's hourly rate is 6,000 dollars.

I know what career I want now! LOL
Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
Cipher

He probably gives volume discounts.

Christian Death Metal FTW!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #19
Reaper_Man

Or they make him talk really really fast.
Super AI Project / Duke RTS :: Coming Soon to an Actor near you!
Artificial Intelligence 101 :: Ask AI questions, get AI answers
Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #20
fast-1

Does he add his voice work to The Simpsons cartoon, you heard that one.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #21
shagg

I was in Pigeon Forge Tennessee this past April and went to dollywood. I wish I would've known that the voice of Buzz the Buzzard was that of Jon. I would've definitely paid more attention to it. There should be a sign next to buzz to let people know it's Jon. But how many people would actually know who he is?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #22
shagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai View Post
That's for 30 seconds, so from that Jon St. John's hourly rate is 6,000 dollars.

I know what career I want now! LOL
That's a steal IMO
Old 05-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #23
Longtimefan1984
This might as well have been an interview with a ghost. Show us the game, until then this is irrelevant, yet entertaining for a split second...
Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #24
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan1984 View Post
This might as well have been an interview with a ghost. Show us the game, until then this is irrelevant, yet entertaining for a split second...
This is not about DNF, it's just an interview with an voice actor, who happens to do the Voice of Duke...

He's no "ghost", he plays many other roles than just Duke, so an interview with him is interesting for those who care for what he's done, and has far more to do with anything he made than just Duke alone... Cut DNF out of this..!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #25
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_Man View Post
How many voice actors did you guys go through until you found "The One"? Did you guys have other voice actors you were thinking about, or did Jon stand out above the crowd? Looking at his IMDB link it looks like Duke3D was Jon's first role - congrats to him for that!
That's a good question. I don't know. I'm sure there was some sort of search, or at least them listening to a bunch of audio submissions. I wasn't involved in that.

There was some minor (and I admit - EXTREMELY minor) discussion about me doing the voice again in Duke Nukem 3D, but as I've said in the past, I am not pro voice talent. They needed pro voice once the decision was made to put voice in Duke as a major feature. I was OK for two words on a lark in a (relatively) small time game, but for this, they needed St. John, so that's what they did - and the series is better off for it. I doubt it would have become what it did if I was still voicing Duke Nukem.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
gungriffon geona

that 30 seconds would be worth getting him to sing the refrain of "Row Row Fight tha Powah!"
Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
Jinroh

I was pretty unpleasantly surprised to find out The Man's voice also did the voice of Big the Cat...I was surprised to find out he was a voice in Blue Stinger which I started replaying just yesterday.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #28
Emultra
I really like the fact that he appreciates the role of Duke so much. It's not just a detached "gig" to him. And the interviewer is right that Duke wouldn't be Duke without St. John, the voice is just perfect and has been from D3D to Manhattan and onward.

We need more of his manly kickassery in our metrosexual world of the 21st century where 6'1 guys are supposed to weigh 150 pounds, wear polo sweaters and use 10 different skin and hair products every day.
Last edited by Emultra; 06-16-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #29
Kitsumi32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emultra View Post
We need more of his manly kickassery in our metrosexual world of the 21st century where 6'1 guys are supposed to weigh 150 pounds, wear polo sweaters and use 10 different skin and hair products every day.
Duke does that too, he just works out a lot.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #30
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsumi32 View Post
Duke does that too, he just works out a lot.
Nope, Duke only uses two.

You want to know what they're called?

Soap, and water.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #31
Malgon

^Hahaha!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #32
Kazuhiro

Damn... I'm very seriously considering that $50 for 30sec of duke's voice. I'm just not sure what to have him say yet... Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #33
Kitsumi32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuhiro View Post
Damn... I'm very seriously considering that $50 for 30sec of duke's voice. I'm just not sure what to have him say yet... Anyone got any ideas?
1. Where did you find the price and

2. DID YOU SAY $50!? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous even if you love Duke, I mean, hell, that's money for DNF right there! Plus even if I DIDN'T think that was a dumb idea, I'm freakin hurtin for cash right now. Bastard ran a red light at an intersection and clipped me. He was going insanely fast, just shot out right as the light turned green and I was getting ready to go, clipped me, drove past me and didn't even bother to stop. I'm OK, and the car is mainly OK, but the driver's side headlight assembly/signal assembly/bezel is F*CKED. I didn't call the police to file a report (FU*CKING D'OH ).I didn't even think to do that since he just went on, and when it dawned on me I remember I didn't even get his plate #. I was in total f*cktard mode today. So now insurance can't do a damn thing for me and I'm learning the lesson the hard way, tuition is close to $200. Add to this the fact that I recently lost my job (all my fault, NEVER get short with customers, it will never end well) and you can see why I'm not to eager to spend half a benj for a Duke voicemail.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #34
Jinroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsume32
It's on his website. Actually I'm seriously thinking of doing it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsume32
Bastard ran a red light at an intersection and clipped me. He was going insanely fast, just shot out right as the light turned green and I was getting ready to go, clipped me, drove past me and didn't even bother to stop. I'm OK, and the car is mainly OK, but the driver's side headlight assembly/signal assembly/bezel is F*CKED. I didn't call the police to file a report (FU*CKING D'OH ).I didn't even think to do that since he just went on, and when it dawned on me I remember I didn't even get his plate #. I was in total f*cktard mode today. So now insurance can't do a damn thing for me and I'm learning the lesson the hard way, tuition is close to $200. Add to this the fact that I recently lost my job (all my fault, NEVER get short with customers, it will never end well) and you can see why I'm not to eager to spend half a benj for a Duke voicemail.
Sorry to hear all that Kitsume, sounds like you're having a bad stretch. I think what you need is just a few days of chillaxing. Or DNF, or something. Maybe Joe can get you some kinda DNF T-Shirt or something. How about that, Joe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuhiro
Yeah, I'm not sure what I want to have St. John say either. That's my hardest thing too.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #35
Kitsumi32
I would make him say all the phonemes so I could make a Duke TTS program!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #36
Emultra
I think he rocks for making that service available to anyone.

I also hoped that he'd seen the Ventrilo Harassment Duke episode. I'm glad he found it funny instead of offensive, because it sure as hell is funny.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 AM   #37
Kazuhiro

Quote:

2. DID YOU SAY $50!? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous even if you love Duke, I mean, hell, that's money for DNF right there! Plus even if I DIDN'T think that was a dumb idea, I'm freakin hurtin for cash right now. Bastard ran a red light at an intersection and clipped me. He was going insanely fast, just shot out right as the light turned green and I was getting ready to go, clipped me, drove past me and didn't even bother to stop. I'm OK, and the car is mainly OK, but the driver's side headlight assembly/signal assembly/bezel is F*CKED. I didn't call the police to file a report (FU*CKING D'OH ).I didn't even think to do that since he just went on, and when it dawned on me I remember I didn't even get his plate #. I was in total f*cktard mode today. So now insurance can't do a damn thing for me and I'm learning the lesson the hard way, tuition is close to $200. Add to this the fact that I recently lost my job (all my fault, NEVER get short with customers, it will never end well) and you can see why I'm not to eager to spend half a benj for a Duke voicemail.

Sorry for the rant.
Whoa... Calm down. Understand I make really good money and have some to throw around on things just for fun. Sorry to hear your feeling the pinch though. Hope it all turns out all right. And I understand needing to vent that.

Anyway since I do still have that duke3d map I started working on a while ago and never finished it... Perhaps I can get him to make some funny one liners that will fit in with it. Still not sure what they would be. But I'll come up with something.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #38
Jinroh

Quote:
I would make him say all the phonemes so I could make a Duke TTS program!
LOL! That would be awesome. Duke TTS lol. Speak and Spell Duke, "Now Spell Bubblegum." lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbad Robot
Come back Ali Come Back Ali's Sister.