Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Duke Nukem Forever

Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #1121
Lethe

Re: Rumor Alert! Does the Jace Hall Show Scoop Duke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
Yeah, this video confirmed my earlier misgivings, looks way to close to Prey for comfort.

I can't really find the words to express how underwhelming this footage is to me, other than to say that "underwhelming" is an immense understatement.
Couldn't put it better myself.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #1122
Spooger

Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
good to see it. apart from a few awesome things, it was kinda underwhelming. and it did look similar to Prey.
like the crate in this screenshot is too heavily textured:
http://www.pcgames.de/aid,646363/Wir..._id=833772#top
I can't believe I'm about to say this but:

Don't touch that crate. It's great.

I'm serious.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #1123
Mangopork
Sweet Jesus Thank You.

Please Duke Save Us All From The Abyss That Is Call Of Duty 4 And Counterstrike.

Never Surrender!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
Pretty underwhelming. Very dissapointed.

I don't understand why people here got so excited about this. Take one of the scenes in Serious Sam 2 and record it with fraps. You'll get exactly this.
It's DNF? Seriously. I like how people are judging it based on such a small preview of a shaky cam. Then again whats the difference, you'll probably hate it no matter what.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #1125
Talos

Quote:
Take one of the scenes in Serious Sam 2 and record it with fraps. You'll get exactly this.
Aw man... This is like those people who claim that Tomb Raider Anniversary looks like a PlayStation 1 game...
Seriously dude at least try opening your eyes
Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #1126
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shams View Post
nothing to write home about. See aliens? Kill'em quick...
What were you expecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shams View Post
I hope 3dr release a limited edition where the bonus content will show wtf happened that the game got delayed soo much...and somekinda lame duke
We already know why it was delayed so much. And they wont ever release a lameDNF.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #1127
Ramen4ever

What are you guys the Underwhelm-Squad?

Show me Gameplay footage recorded on a hand held camera that is overwhelming and I'll attempt to agree.

Yes ANY game is fine, Just do It. ^_^
Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #1128
timothy2
Quote:
Pretty underwhelming. Very dissapointed.

I don't understand why people here got so excited about this. Take one of the scenes in Serious Sam 2 and record it with fraps. You'll get exactly this.
Yes, I didn't like Serious Sam 2 AT ALL, which makes it perfect to compare it with a 30 seconds video of basically a small portion of DNF.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #1129
Mangopork
As for the criticism, as long as the weapons are a ******* blast to use, i'm happy.

Never Surrender!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #1130
Spooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen4ever View Post
What are you guys the Underwhelm-Squad?

Show me Gameplay footage recorded on a hand held camera that is overwhelming and I'll attempt to agree.

Yes ANY game is fine, Just do It. ^_^
Yeah, I mean, at first I *thought* I was dissapointed with the visuals when I first saw it, but some of the screens coming out now are from a better quality video than I saw, and with that you start to see more and more. I imagine by the time we're staring at 1600x1200 shots, we're going to be very impressed.

I'm hoping that time is, like, within the next month. Please Lord..er, 3DR!?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #1131
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58 View Post
It's DNF? Seriously. I like how people are judging it based on such a small preview of a shaky cam. Then again whats the difference, you'll probably hate it no matter what.
What? I'm judging the trailer like you and everyone else here. Nothing else, just the trailer. And IMO, it is pretty underwhelming.

I'm not trying to battle other people's opinions, but it seems like fanboyism does alot here. Outside of those forums, majority of community seem to be pretty underwhelmed by the trailer. That says something.

Tell me, what is so special and impressive in this trailer?

Quote:
Then again whats the difference, you'll probably hate it no matter what.
Way to be a jackass.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #1132
Orochi Avlis

Soaked up every second.

Really can't wait.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #1133
Ramen4ever

Quote:
What? I'm judging the trailer like you and everyone else here. Nothing else, just the trailer.
What trailer?

Did I miss something?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #1134
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen4ever View Post
What trailer?

Did I miss something?
Typo.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #1135
Commando Nukem

Quote:
the trailer . just the trailer.

trailer.

trailer?
What TRAILER?! Speak net speak or I sick the pyscho patrol on you!!!

Seriously. Shakey Cam footage of 30 seconds of an indoor dam level is not the BEST DNF is going to give us okay? Its underwhelming because it doesnt show us hardcore interacivity, and what it does show is only a SNEAK PEAK. SNEAK PEAK people. That means that you're not seeing huge amounts of anything yet.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #1136
Boo Boo Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsumi32 View Post
It's actually no more distracting than seeing someone's username above their head in a deathmatch.
Actually, it is quite different and it is more distracting. I'm not playing a multiplayer deathmatch when I am playing the singleplayer campaign. When I am playing a single player campaign I am playing a story. I want to be immersed into the game. Seeing random points pop up after killing a dude is going to take me out of that immersion.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #1137
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
What TRAILER?! Speak net speak or I sick the pyscho patrol on you!!!

Seriously. Shakey Cam footage of 30 seconds of an indoor dam level is not the BEST DNF is going to give us okay? Its underwhelming because it doesnt show us hardcore interacivity, and what it does show is only a SNEAK PEAK. SNEAK PEAK people. That means that you're not seeing huge amounts of anything yet.
I said it was a typo. Who said that the whole game is underwhelming? I said that the shaky cam video of the game is underwhelming. Is there a rule which says - lynch everybody that don't like it? It's just not impressive. That is all.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #1138
NineT9 mustang
thank you, my life is complete, who wants to kill me now?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #1139
Commando Nukem

Quote:
I said it was a typo. Who said that the whole game is underwhelming. I said that the shaky cam video of the game is underwhelming.
No "lfie" is a typo. You were factually incorrect. It points to your perception of this little piece of media we got. Which is this is somehow "uninteresting" or "mediocre" when you put the facts around it, it is EXACTLY what it should be.

It isnt though, thats the point. Your standards are just ridiculously too high.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #1140
timothy2
Quote:
What? I'm judging the trailer like you and everyone else here. Nothing else, just the trailer. And IMO, it is pretty underwhelming.

It isn't a trailer.

Quote:

It doesn't have to be impressive, it's just a game. It's not bad at least, and I repeat, we haven't seen anything yet.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #1141
Talos

Quote:

I'm not trying to battle other people's opinions, but it seems like fanboyism does alot here. Outside of those forums, majority of community seem to be pretty underwhelmed by the trailer. That says something.

Dude it's not a trailer! Don't make those extremely short gameplay snippets into something they're clearly not. It's more like a nipple flash from a very sexy lady.

Also what do you mean "outside of those forum"? The guys at PCGames.de one of the biggest PC gaming site/mag here in germany go nuts over these few seconds of DNF.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #1142
Lethe

Quote:
No "lfie" is a typo. You were factually incorrect. It points to your perception of this little piece of media we got.
That is not true at all. I just don't use english words that well as some other people here. I know that is just a shaky cam video. And my opinion is that it is underwhelming.

Quote:
It isnt though, thats the point. Your standards are just ridiculously too high.

Really? Take fraps and record any battle from FEAR or Crysis and I would be much more immpressed. And I don't even like Crysis.

If you guys like it, that is perfectly fine. But after numerous viewing of this, I can't see what in this trailer excites people so much.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #1143
timothy2
As for the points, ego, damage location, etc...It could be that general graves gives Duke special glasses that show how stuff around you works or something.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #1144
FireFly

The footage consists of Duke shooting a few enemies at point blank range - that's it. You can load up any FPS, do the same, and record the footage, and you know what, it won't look particularly mindblowing.

All you can really judge from what was shown is the look and feel of some of the weapons, and how enemies react to those weapons. In that regard, the combat looked pretty satisfying to me.

So yes, in a way the video was underwhelming, but it was underwhelming because of the footage chosen.

John Carmack
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #1145
Spooger

Think back to the Prey shaky-cam trailer. Think way back.

14 minutes long. Subtract 13 minutes and 30 seconds from that.

Would even the hardcore Prey fans here (of which, I am admittedly not) be impressed by that? No. They'd be teased, interested, perhaps -- but not sold.

All the media leakage coming from 3DR concerning Duke speaks one important thing to me: they have a lot of faith in their game. There's no way they'd tease 100x100 pixel screens and shaky-cam footage of DNF unless they knew with absolute certainty that seeing the real deal, which they say will be coming soon, would convince people.

Anyone who says the shakey cam video looks aweful is probably right, because it does. Especially the crackle.com version (slow loading and ugly? wtf), but anyone who says DNF looks like shit doesn't really know what they're talking about. DNF has been distorted, and dumbed down by this presentation. 3DR probably doesn't care about that, and if they don't, then neither do I. We got some media, now lets wait and see what happens next.

(With all due respect, 3DR, that's your cue for a "real" trailer ) j/k (but not really j/k if that's what you're planning [j/k only if you're planning but it annoys that I pointed that out])
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #1146
Mangopork
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucedAnimal View Post
I have to ask: Does that mean DNF will never be released?

He's referring to a da vinci quote:

"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Never Surrender!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #1147
JCAll
Wow. We actually just got to see Duke Nukem Forever.

After the paramedics got my heart restarted and I watched it again, I'm optimistic. Sure, it looks like Prey, but Prey was beautiful so there's nothing to complain about there. And it seems to play completely differently, while leaning heavily towards OVERKILL.

There's nothing but good things in the future now. I hope. This time.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #1148
Mangopork
So... level editor? Deathmatch? Pretty Please?

Never Surrender!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #1149
Mangopork
I thought it looked much softer and more colorful than prey.

Never Surrender!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #1150
Ramen4ever

I'm still actually waiting for some overwhelming gameplay footage.

I just watched some gears 2 and Starcraft 2 gameplay. Still waiting for ANYTHING to deliver me a overwhelming gameplay footage

No but seriously.. Lets just leave the overwhelming to the real trailer, teasers and to when we play the game.

Just watch that pig cop battle again and think of what the battlelords will do to you, That.. will be overwhelming.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #1151
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
The footage consists of Duke shooting a few enemies at point blank range - that's it. You can load up any FPS, do the same, and record the footage, and you know what, it won't look particularly mindblowing.
This is generally true, especially when choosing something like CRYSIS to compare to DNF. Apples and Oranges.

Quote:
All you can really judge from what was shown is the look and feel of some of the weapons, and how enemies react to those weapons. In that regard, the combat looked pretty satisfying to me.
So far so good.

Quote:
So yes, in a way the video was underwhelming, but it was underwhelming because of the footage chosen.
Underwhelming if you were expecting some huge epic fire fight with specially composed DNF music to accompany this unveiling, when we were told its not anything huge.

So when I had assumed we werent seeing DNF at all, I was blown away with what we DID get to see. Some around here seem to have a lot of presumption in them about what they "should" get from 3DR.

IRTALL
Its DNF gameplay, the first time since 2001 we've seen actual DNF gameplay. enjoy it guys. Nit pickery of it is ridiculous, and its just gonna spoil the mood.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #1152
wieder
Quote:
There... fixed your comment for you.

That EDF supply crate is one of the worst crates in the history of crates. But otherwise... /throws confetti!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #1153
Unbeholder

Quote:
Yes, I didn't like Serious Sam 2 AT ALL, which makes it perfect to compare it with a 30 seconds video of basically a small portion of DNF.
haha loved the sarcasm there.

Lethe and X-vector. Two guys who have never been fans of the game are never going to be fans. They expect a shakey cam footage to be "mind blowing" well obviously its not going to be. We got to see the game, thats what matters, a feel for the guns, graphics and gameplay and to prove it exists. bad mouthing for no reason is just an insult to what 3drealms have given us... a look behind the scenes, unofficial media !! Celebrate my friends, i have posted way to much to be retreading my steps but it just steams me at the ridiculous posts like Lethe's.

just read my earlier post, http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpo...postcount=1046
Last edited by Unbeholder; 06-05-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #1154
Kitsumi32
I'm trying to think of a way to put this delicately enough so that a flamewar doesn't start and Joe doesn't ban me, all I can think of is this.

To the disappointed and the haters:

This game has been 12 years in development, and we just now got footage of what is supposedly going to be the shipped version. I say supposedly because I have just as little of an understanding about what's going on behind the scenes as the rest of you. The thing is, it took this long to get media of the game. What makes you think that any negative criticism of this trailer is going to be changed and reflected in the game, unless it is bantered about on and on for years, and by a larger group than what you are right now?

Since most of you answered d*ck all, that's right. And since there's most likely going to be no change from this trailer-bashing, why should we have to read it? I mean we all know the saying about everybody having an opinion and that's cool, it's cool that you have an opinion. But in this thread that some people have been waiting for for a LONG time, couldn't you show a tad bit of reverence and keep that opinion to yourselves? I haven't been waiting as long as some of these other guys, I certainly haven't been a forum user as long, but in real life I have been waiting quite a while for video of this game, and what I saw today certainly ensured that 3DR will be receiving whatever they decide to charge for the game from me. And really that's all that matters. I like the game, I like what I've seen so far. Most of the others do too.

So why are you trying to tell us what to like and not like? If you aren't impressed with DNF, Gears Of War 2 is coming out and also looks impressive, there's also GTAIV and MGS4, basically enough games to play and like so that you don't have to pick on this one.

Basically, this should be a happy thread, and it's not really a happy thread with you guys griping all the time. So could you please show a little respect who are EAGERLY AWAITING this game and just hold the harshness to yourselves? Thank you. ^-^
Last edited by Kitsumi32; 06-05-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: doh Gears not God
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #1155
peoplessi

Quote:
It looks good, it looks like a Duke Nukem game. What looks impressive then? Enemies, and the animation. We didn't see much of FBA, but it there was something when you looked down It isn't like the second coming of the christ, but it just looked really good. Considering it is from a game that isn't done, shaky cam, and 30seconds of footage. Lightning system seemed to be in order too.

Lethe, you are very pessimistic overall, and I can see where you are coming from too, but it wasn't _that bad_ either, as you make it out to be. Really, it wasn't. It looked good, enemies looked damn good, Duke looked good.

The thing that intriques me now, is how is the multiplayer, I wan't to know From what I've gathered from Joe Siegler, it's a blast. I think might be biased.

MY only gripes are some of the weapon models, they are bit plain, like ripper and devastator. They look good, but something is missing. They are bit "bland" not a bad thing, but then again I expected ripper to look more detailed or something. Hard to judge based on so short view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsumi32 View Post
Basically, this should be a happy thread, and it's not really a happy thread with you guys griping all the time. So could you please show a little respect who are EAGERLY AWAITING this game and just hold the harshness to yourselves? Thank you. ^-^
You know, some of the criticism is good, when argumented well. It is good foundation to build, tweak and adjust things. It does no good to go apeshit and say sun is shining the GAME WILL ROCK - just based on this small 30second view. Constructive criticism is in reality a GOOD THING. Although I haven't seen much of that either, so you are partially right. All in all, you can't really say it is a issue of respect, respect is something you earn, not something you have by default.

I think the developers gain more of seeing what people didn't necessarily like, and why. Rather than everyone saying "omg it's great". Like, Duke Nukem got tweaked. Now he looks badass, those changes were really good, and made Duke Nukem look better than he was. These are minor, small things, but make a big difference.

It's okey to say no, to harshness that is uncalled for, not explained, argumented well. That isn't constructive at all. You can't please everyone on this damn earth, and they, 3D Realms, aren't trying to either. As they said, they are making games they would love to play - that's the way you make great games. If you take compromises, you will endup with pile of turd.
Last edited by peoplessi; 06-05-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #1156
FireFly

Quote:
Underwhelming if you were expecting some huge epic fire fight with specially composed DNF music to accompany this unveiling, when we were told its not anything huge.
Or if you were expecting the footage to show how DNF's gameplay is different from any other FPS.

John Carmack
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #1157
Talos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wieder View Post
That EDF supply crate is one of the worst crates in the history of crates. But otherwise... /throws confetti!
So uhm ... how about you tell us something about the A:CM crates /jk
Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #1158
KO Gilligan

SHRINK GUN, BABY...
Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #1159
Spooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaloS View Post
So uhm ... how about you tell us something about the A:CM crates /jk
I want you to look at that crate in the video. Not too bad, imho.

Now, look at it again... for 10 years! Oh yeah, perspective switch right there. Admit it, Charlie, after 10 years of seeing that crate, you had to move on.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #1160
Kitsumi32
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
You know, some of the criticism is good, when argumented well. It is good foundation to build, tweak and adjust things. It does no good to go apeshit and say sun is shining the GAME WILL ROCK - just based on this small 30second view. Constructive criticism is in reality a GOOD THING. Although I haven't seen much of that either, so you are partially right. All in all, you can't really say it is a issue of respect, respect is something you earn, not something you have by default.

I think the developers gain more of seeing what people didn't necessarily like, and why. Rather than everyone saying "omg it's great". Like, Duke Nukem got tweaked. Now he looks badass, those changes were really good, and made Duke Nukem look better than he was. These are minor, small things, but make a big difference.

It's okey to say no, to harshness that is uncalled for, not explained, argumented well. That isn't constructive at all. You can't please everyone on this damn earth, and they, 3D Realms, aren't trying to either. As they said, they are making games they would love to play - that's the way you make great games. If you take compromises, you will endup with pile of turd.

That's true...but most of this is old video that has probably been drastically reworked by now, and a lot of the stuff is senseless griping. There isn't really much in the video that 3DR needs to change that isn't petty. Of course this is just my opinion.