Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Duke Nukem Forever

Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #1361
Assault

Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58 View Post
It's DNF? Seriously. I like how people are judging it based on such a small preview of a shaky cam. Then again whats the difference, you'll probably hate it no matter what.
What else is there to judge? If this is how the game looks so far, then so far it looks bad.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #1362
Karmeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
What else is there to judge? If this is how the game looks so far, then so far it looks bad.
Fotage is 6 moths old
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #1363
Mackan
Quote:
I think it looks really good.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #1364
dlink

OMG i'm impressed, it looks fricking wonderful, so good graphics, it's unbelieveable!
Last edited by dlink; 06-06-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #1365
duke87
God! impressive it enchants to me with just a little bit but of saturation explosions i bleed improved appears a game by the qual to waste all my time! a thing, position to consider that this it is the new motor of duke and outside this subject podra to have new shadow warrior serious the best thing than podrian to above do those of 3d realms those fans of dukeee good work 3drealms!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #1366
Unbeholder

Quote:
thats personal opinion, the game isn't actually bad. its great
Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #1367
Sharpie

Yep the game is looking amazing at the moment but i feel a bit frustrated though.
I'm frustrated because i know there is personality, colour and interactivity in this game but we just haven't been shown it yet.

It is reassuring though for George to come on here and post that the next time media is shown it will be substantial and it will have all as stated above ticked off my list.

3D Realms seems to be one of the few developers out there that really communicates with their fans even if they can seem to be a bit stubborn sometimes

Anyway the wait until the next big thing for DNF has just been made a whole lot harder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFct6lg0Vmo <<<< Watch for a laugh
Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #1368
Altered Reality

Can the HD version of the video be downloaded anywhere? I want to save the video in my DNF archive!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #1369
Rider

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31751

There's a torrent there
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #1370
duubhglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Yep the game is looking amazing at the moment but i feel a bit frustrated though.
I'm frustrated because i know there is personality, colour and interactivity in this game but we just haven't been shown it yet.
You said it all: "yet".

I really trust this guys (and girls?) of 3DRealms are going to blow our minds!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #1371
Altered Reality

Re: Gameplay video in hd, download links
Will anyone please encode the video to a different format that doesn't need FRAPS to run, and upload the resulting video to Megaupload or an equivalent service?
Last edited by Altered Reality; 06-06-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #1372
soulburner
I was thinking... when I saw this footage yesterday, I thought it would be nice if the final game would contain a bonus with... the previous pre-alpha-beta versions of the game! You know, part of the game on the Quake 2 engine, and stuff like that. We got Lameduke, maybe something similar could be done here too

About the footage itself - I really liked it, although saw it in very low res. Suddenly, I felt the urge to play DN3D again

edit - I remember back in 1996, when there were wars between DN3D and Quake fans, one of the biggest advantages of Duke was that most of it occured in daytime. So I bet Duke Nukem Forever won't suddenly become a Doom 3-like game, showcasing all the bumpmapping and stuff during pitch black night :P
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #1373
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulburner View Post
I was thinking... when I saw this footage yesterday, I thought it would be nice if the final game would contain a bonus with... the previous pre-alpha-beta versions of the game! You know, part of the game on the Quake 2 engine, and stuff like that. We got Lameduke, maybe something similar could be done here too
Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #1374
reiserfs
I love it the gameplay, and 3dRealms Devs FOR THE HORDE!! rofl

Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #1375
Psyrgery

Couldn't have seen the show video before, had some problems at work, I've seen it (In SD but doesn't matter), all I have to say is

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

IT'S JUST BEATIFUL, IT'S INCREDIBLE, IT'S AMAZING, IT'S ******* GREAT, RELEASE IT ALREADY, I LOVE YOU GEORGE, I LOVE YOU 3DREALMS.

Well, more or less to describe the major orgasm any Duke-Fan could have.

*Runs to see the video again.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!
Last edited by Psyrgery; 06-06-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #1376
Tea Monster

I loved it! Thanks 3DR for letting us see something finally.

Love the new Devastator and the modern look.

Can't wait to play!!!!

Lair of the Tea Monster
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #1377
fast-1

Wonder if the shrink ray is easily reloaded.
Great speed but with the superb graphics.

Duke's in a bad bad mood did they get that one liner somewhere ?
I'll look around and post back.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #1378
JobivanHiob

....hard to keep up with all the posts.
But I have to say after some hours of overthinking. In general what I've seen is ubergorgeous. And like George mentioned the things complained about will be overworked. So it can't get any better.......trailer?!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #1379
EmperorZorn

I dont want to be mean or anything - but the ingame material we saw here looked like the game is still pre-alpha.

It would be great to get a full trailer of fun interactive gameplay instead of the typical, goodlooking, doom-like corridor shooting.
Something that tells you: "hey, thats not a run-of-the-mill FPS game, thats Duke".

But once again, we have to be thankful for every single media snippet we get,
those are rare and very much wanted.

Lets just hope they finish the largest parts of the game before the WoW addon comes out. :P
Old 06-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #1380
George Broussard
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
so does this video count as "stay tuned" material?
Not really. It was kind of random.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #1381
George Broussard
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
i also think you should really push the engine to give the explosions some kind of character. explosions have always been a big part of Duke and it would be sad for DNF to settle with any generic "yellow flare" explosion.
even if it means integrating sprites into it. look at HL2, they used sprites both for fire and for explosions, i still find HL2 will some of the most impressive graphics and that engine is about 4 years old.
The particle effects in this video are about 6 months old and most of the combat fx have been replaced by now with new hotness.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #1382
Talos

Okay guys, here is my snippet analysis. Have fun and discuss =)

Pt.1

Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #1383
Talos

Snippet analysis Pt.2

Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #1384
velvet

thanks for the source!
i've encoded it to x264

http://rapidshare.com/files/12051659...allshow_hd.mp4
or
http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=GN4GJOYC

hf
Last edited by velvet; 06-06-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #1385
Necros

Wow, the game does look great! And I'm sure it's a lot better by now and will be even better when it's finally released, hopefully this year. The show was cool too, I'll watch it from now on, great job Jace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulburner View Post
Good idea, I'd like to see them too.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #1386
zwieback

george: thanks for beeing here and reading this thread i have just one question: is there backgroundmusic in the game? because the mixing of the voice "duke's in a baad baaad mood" with the music sounded incredibly good. OR do we have backgroundmusic like in hl2 (i hate to compare games, but you know what i mean) where only at some points sound is triggered to give more feeling to a part of the level .. or is there NO background music at all
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1387
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
because the mixing of the voice "duke's in a baad baaad mood" with the music sounded incredibly good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
Any voice in there was added by HD Films and isn't in game.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1388
zwieback

Quote:
has been answered before - not gonna happen. if you think about it, what would you want with a techdemo of a game.. it's worthless.. all i would like to see is a screenshot collection of some levels which survived all the engines
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1389
Karmeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
care to share what program you use to encode it to x264?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #1390
zwieback

@Kaliki .. oh i didn't see this, sorry. but anyway my question was if there is any background music in the game or not. the latest statement is from i think.. 2002 or earlier. it doesn't matter anyway.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #1391
Northstream

Ok first of all. Thanks to 3DRealms and Jace Hall for the video and thanks to George about the comment on reading the forums and listening to the fans. That was a nice nod at us forumers. (Although I hardly ever post here, but I have been reading these forums for many many years.)

The video was great. Much more than I expected. But like others before I'm going to nitpick a bit about the weapons

At first I thought the Ripper looked great but in the screenshots I noticed that it does look kinda flat and odd. But on the Pigcop's hand it looks great so i dunno. I just hope it has a better sound than in Duke 3D. The lame-ass sound that it had in it was the biggest reason that I hardly ever used it.

The Devastator look way too generic-futuristic-ray-plasma-whatever-gun like. It should look way way more agressive. It should look like a gun that you blow hordes of aliens (and everything else that comes in the way) into tiny little pieces.

I'm still a bit unsure if I like the the shrink gun or not. I hated the Unreal slime gun but this might be cool. Btw does it use the GLOPP-technology from Manhattan Project?

Everything else I more or less liked (even the ego points showing in the HUD)
Good job 3DRealms.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #1392
velvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmeck View Post
care to share what program you use to encode it to x264?
i used "megui". quite powerful tool and i used avisynth to crop the black bars.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #1393
Jinroh

Quote:
Okay guys, here is my snippet analysis. Have fun and discuss =)
Well, the only thing is can say definitively is DNF CONFIRMED!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #1394
MusicallyInspired

I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding colours. It looks QUITE colourful and doesn't look washed out/greyish like Quake 4/Prey AT ALL. In fact it kinda looks more colourful than real life in some places. I'd say they're going in the right direction.

AWESOME to get an in-game video at last! I'm ok with everything I see so far.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #1395
Ravey
My thoughts on new combat fx.
Last edited by Ravey; 06-06-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #1396
Danule

i like the look of the shrink ray.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #1397
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
The particle effects in this video are about 6 months old and most of the combat fx have been replaced by now with new hotness.
excellent. i have no idea about game development but Im guessing 6 months will make a big difference.
btw, the guy banging at the fence looked awesome, like the clothing folds on the model... thought i'd say something positive for a change
and thanks for keeping in touch.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #1398
Lain

didn't George say in a thread that once we saw media of DNF we will get the game soon (less than 6 months, more than 3?)

Wii code: 1999-5973-3442-4435
Brawl: 3050-7344-2657
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #1399
Necros

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2 View Post
No, it was all Jace hall trying to impersonate Duke's voice. Even the line "Duke's in a bad, bad mood".

I do hope George makes Jon st John say that line, it sounded like something Duke would say.
True! I wanna hear that line in the game too!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #1400
Unbeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duubhglas View Post
You said it all: "yet".

I really trust this guys (and girls?) of 3DRealms are going to blow our minds!
Girls?? where ? let me at em !!!