Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #1401
Weses

Re: The Jace Hall DNF Footage Thread
Why do some people keep saying it looks like just another generic FPS game? I don't think that at all. Seriously. This looks exactly how I wanted it to look and that's mega-awesomeness.

I only noticed 1 thing which 3D Realms is surly working on or has already fixed, when he kicked the thing on the ground the leg went trough the gun and arm. Surly it's being fixed or is fixed already as the footage we saw is old I'm so excited about this. IT HAS GOT TO COME OUT THIS YEAR OR EARLY NEXT YEAR. PLEASE!!!
Last edited by Weses; 06-06-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #1402
Jinroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danule View Post
i like the look of the shrink ray.
Yeah, it looks pretty cool, I just wish there was more glowy green on it. Like the original or the DNA one. I like that it is a bit more angular though. Though I do love the look of the original.

Does look like an EDF Reverse Engineer as previously mentioned. Maybe that's what they were doing in Area 51.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #1403
Stapler
i especially like the red ballons
Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #1404
Ramen4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post
didn't George say in a thread that once we saw media of DNF we will get the game soon (less than 6 months, more than 3?)
Well this wasn't official. I wouldn't start guessing at a release date just yet. However one can't help being curious. I'd rather guess for the next media release. Or when we get an Official media release. I'm hoping we get "something" in the next few weeks. With some time to digest what Jace showed us. However for all we know we may not get another release till after summer. I'm going to assume that George and everyone else at 3dr would like to show us more content. Because it's a bit annoying having people judge the entire game from a 30 second clip of what one level of DNF looked like 6 months ago. Hopefully in the media release we get something outside or in a strip joint. After all, one of the biggest complaints is that it doesn't feel like Duke. It's more like Prey or Doom3. Thanks to the dark concrete hallways, that is Hoover Dam.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #1405
Kitsumi32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
has been answered before - not gonna happen. if you think about it, what would you want with a techdemo of a game.. it's worthless.. all i would like to see is a screenshot collection of some levels which survived all the engines
It would be cool if they tossed a video of gameplay from the old engines in on the DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
@Kaliki .. oh i didn't see this, sorry. but anyway my question was if there is any background music in the game or not. the latest statement is from i think.. 2002 or earlier. it doesn't matter anyway.
The last DNF FAQ I read, they said that there would be a title theme, and that they would have boss fight music (the quote was something to the effect of "because that's just fun") however they didn't want it to feel like Duke was wearing headphones all the time, so there would be no in game music, just ambiance. Of couse, with the Ego HUD thing, it makes you feel as if you're in a game anyway, so I hope they change their mind and add some music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicallyInspired View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding colours. It looks QUITE colourful and doesn't look washed out/greyish like Quake 4/Prey AT ALL. In fact it kinda looks more colourful than real life in some places. I'd say they're going in the right direction.
Yeah, it's not really THAT dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weses View Post
Why do some people keep saying it looks like just another generic FPS game?
Because some people are stupid.

Quote:
Seriously. This looks exactly how I wanted it to look and that's mega-awesomeness.

QFT.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #1406
Ravey
Quote:
Why do people keep saying it looks like just another generic FPS game? I don't think that at all. Seriously. This looks exactly how I wanted it to look and that's mega-awesomeness.

I only noticed 1 thing which 3D Realms is surly working on, when he kicked the thing on the ground the leg went trough the gun and arm. Surly it's being fixed. I'm so excited about this. IT HAS GOT TO COME OUT THIS YEAR OR EARLY NEXT YEAR. PLEASE!!!
Because it looks like the Doom 3 engine and only shows running and gunning, which is apparently a huge generic FPS giveaway - It looks great to me for what it is, but you can't judge the game based on 24 seconds of gameplay.

Also games that looked like this

All seem to look like this, because it's realistic!
Last edited by Ravey; 06-06-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #1407
Superczar

You can definitely see some HL2 influence in the footage, crosshair and weapon HUD come to mind - not that that's a bad thing though...

Talos, nice job on the snippets...
Last edited by Superczar; 06-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #1408
Fisker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaloS View Post
Okay guys, here is my snippet analysis. Have fun and discuss =)
I don't think you should count on interactivity in loading menu, they've probably just not hid the mouse cursor (which would explain why it's anchored in the top-left)

I can't see why it for some people looks to be ages out, i don't know if they're missing content, but if they're not i'd definitely say they could just ship it now

Obviously their own lust for perfection disagrees, but i've seen games that looked less polished sent out before.

Looking forward to some real footage, not shaken though
Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #1409
hackmed
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
Never fear, there are bright, daylight levels, as well. I'd say all times of day and mood are represented at some point. There is a mixture of corridor crawls, and larger more open areas (indoor and out).
Thats good news, however I'm curious if its going to be a linear game like half life or a more open game like Duke 3D and the original doom's (not so much), or more recently Bioshock.

Overall i don't really mind either method of gameplay however it seems most FPS's today take a more linear approach.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #1410
Kitsumi32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superczar View Post
HL2
JOHN FREEMAN WHO WAS GORDON FREEMAN'S BROTHER...

lol j/k

But to be honest, the only HL2 influence that I see is that it is yellow. It looks more like Metroid Prime to me.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #1411
Necros

Hm, if the main menu's background is gonna look like this after starting the game... It will be awsome, it looks damn cool!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #1412
alexgk

Quote:
The particle effects in this video are about 6 months old and most of the combat fx have been replaced by now with new hotness.
Sweet

Btw, thanks TaloS for the shots
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #1413
JobivanHiob

I have to ask it again. Is the Hype train now leaving the station?
Or do we have to wait for the next media that will be substantial?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #1414
foleyben
I dont want to be pissy, but ill be seriously disappointed if we don't get to see more of the original Duke Nukem Forever designs(quake, unreal). I really to respect 3drealms for taking their time with the project, games to often go of on a tangent when they become big(cough**halo**cough ahem).

If you head on over to "http://www.gametrailers.com/game/360.html" there is an amazing trailer of the original design. So when Duke Nukem Forever does come out it would be nice for George to go through some of the old Duke design and footage and say "ok, this is why I wanted to redo Duke, i know what you saw looks awesome, but this is why i felt it wasnt what I wanted to release..."

And no, im not hoping the original game will get released blah blah blah. I dont expect them to, they said they wont. To be honest, im just one of those guys who goes through the special features in movies and for me, Duke was a big part of my life, he kept me company through those teen yrs and kept me occupied making terrible levels on Sunday mornings after my paper round...So i just want to see everything there is to see OK!

Oh, on a side note, interesting the gametrailers link has the game at number 360...how random...
Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #1415
MusicallyInspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
Also games that looked like this

All seem to look like this, because it's realistic!
Yes, I can't stand that. Give us back our colours! (not referring to DNF)
Old 06-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by foleyben View Post
I dont want to be pissy, but ill be seriously disappointed if we don't get to see more of the original Duke Nukem Forever designs(quake, unreal). I really to respect 3drealms for taking their time with the project, games to often go of on a tangent when they become big(cough**halo**cough ahem).

If you head on over to "http://www.gametrailers.com/game/360.html" there is an amazing trailer of the original design. So when Duke Nukem Forever does come out it would be nice for George to go through some of the old Duke design and footage and say "ok, this is why I wanted to redo Duke, i know what you saw looks awesome, but this is why i felt it wasnt what I wanted to release..."

And no, im not hoping the original game will get released blah blah blah. I dont expect them to, they said they wont. To be honest, im just one of those guys who goes through the special features in movies and for me, Duke was a big part of my life, he kept me company through those teen yrs and kept me occupied making terrible levels on Sunday mornings after my paper round...So i just want to see everything there is to see OK!

Oh, on a side note, interesting the gametrailers link has the game at number 360...how random...
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather they just finish DNF and ship it. I wouldn't lose sleep over the old builds being forgotten.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #1417
Malgon

Okay, I finally got to the end of the thread!

My thoughts so far:

Admittedly when I first watched the video, I wasn't really grabbed by it. I don't know why, but this is the first time any info on the game has surfaced, and I didn't get pumped up for it. After 5 or 6 viewings of it, and the breakdowns that people are doing in the thread, and all the screenshots to go along with it, I am beginning to warm to it.
The weaponry has this certain style to it, as it's almost a minimalist and clean aesthetic, which the environment kind of echoes to some degree. To be fair, I do think the combination of the low quality cam footage, perhaps along with the motion blur and depth of field, really prevents any of these details from showing up clearly, and I know that the teaser trailer definitely exhibits plenty of quality in the models and enemies.
Of course this wasn't the point of the video at all, and to assess and pass final judgement on the state of the game is probably unfair, as it's an older build which is not representative of the final product.

Something which I do like are all the bits of info that George is giving out about the game. It was very reassuring to hear that he and Scott (and maybe other 3DRealms employees) read the forums and are taking notice of the things that us forumers would like, while also understanding our criticism as well.
It was quite pleasing to hear George's comments on the state of the particle effects having been updated, and the ego system numbers being a development placeholder. It is nice to be heard I guess.

I guess that's all I can say about it. I'm sure I missed out on some stuff, but it's damn late already! I'll post some more if I can remember anything.

P.s. The stuff that George said in the interview about cocaine and shit was hilarious!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #1418
foleyben
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather they just finish DNF and ship it. I wouldn't lose sleep over the old builds being forgotten.
Fair enough, I was hoping they might go back over it after the games release.
But each to their own
Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #1419
Ironside

Quote:
Not really. It was kind of random.
So "stay tuned material" is in the works? like a clip?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #1420
Ravey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicallyInspired View Post
Yes, I can't stand that. Give us back our colours! (not referring to DNF)
One of the best decisions made for the original Unreal was that every texture could have it's own 256 colour palette instead of relying on just one palette for everything...And if textures shared palettes it would perform better, that way it encouraged continuity but allowed for environments to be very different from each other.

Last edited by Ravey; 06-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #1421
Ironside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
i especially like the red ballons
I hope the hud has customizable colors.

360 owners that weapon select interface dosent look too friendly atm.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #1422
peoplessi

Nothing has been confirmed regarding X360 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
So "stay tuned material" is in the works? like a clip?
Don't push it
Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #1423
Malgon

I've got a question for George:

How do you (and the rest of 3DRealms) feel now that gamers have been given a small taste of gameplay footage? Excited, surprised, or perhaps it is the reaction you were expecting? I'm interested to know, as I'm sure many others would be too.

P.s. Sorry if you've already commented on it.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #1424
ShadeEX

Just watched the footage for the 5th time..

And I like what I see so far.. That being said I'm not going to judge the game yet..

Untill I actually play it.
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #1425
Malgon

Re: Gameplay video in hd, download links
How big is the MP4 file? I haven't got jackshit left for this months download limit and I would like to get it.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #1426
bokaj
Quote:
Why do some people keep saying it looks like just another generic FPS game? I don't think that at all. Seriously. This looks exactly how I wanted it to look and that's mega-awesomeness.
Because it does. Nothing wrong with that because it is only 24 sec gameplay. What is interesting is that all the fans in here loves every bit of it and praises it to the sky. No matter how DNF will turn out they will love it, that's for sure.

I am very positive about the footage because my expectations were low and DNF in some way is an old game already. But it seems to have some potential.
Had it been Doom 4 I would be dissapointed because from this I expect a nextgen title with over the top graphics (and gameplay).

And about the colours. Just because you place some red balls in a greyish bland environment it doesn't make a colorfull game. But lets wait and see.

A well produced trailer would problably do the game more justice than teasers and small gameplay clips.

So .. now you can shake your heads over my stupidity and shout about how this totally amazing game you have been witness to will rule them all. After all there was some bug shooting .. and a pig cop if you looked carefully .. and a guy behind a fence
Old 06-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #1427
Agulf

Re: Rumor Alert! Does the Jace Hall Show Scoop Duke?
I remember seeing this post but thought nothing of it.
Was like "huh, what game is that?" (cartrige posted) and then ran off.

But today I was greeted with a mail pointing me here.

What the hell.
Last edited by Agulf; 06-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #1428
bubbahotep
Yeah, I keep wondering about all these posts over the color in the game.
Don't forget your looking at a filmed snippet of the game, take into account lighting, the camera and the fact your seeing it off a screen from a camera.
It wasn't captured right from the game on the computer
Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #1429
Danule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
What else is there to judge? If this is how the game looks so far, then so far it looks bad.
if you think that looks bad than what do you think makes a game look good?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #1430
NineT9 mustang
Heres my analyse, kudos to the person before who suggested that last weapon be a Tactical Nuke, I was clueless what it might be!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #1431
peoplessi

2. would most likely include ripper and shotgun also. So, I wouldn't say they are so little
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #1432
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault View Post
What else is there to judge? If this is how the game looks so far, then so far it looks bad.
6months old footage, it doesn't look bad.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #1433
Caine

the hud looks sooooo undukish ! no nuke symbol etc. looks like a console hud like deus ex 2...
Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
the hud looks sooooo undukish ! no nuke symbol etc. looks like a console hud like deus ex 2...
Eh? The hud is exactly like Halife only curved. Theres a duke symbol right there in the crosshair.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #1435
Loke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineT9 mustang View Post
Heres my analyse, kudos to the person before who suggested that last weapon be a Tactical Nuke, I was clueless what it might be!

*snip*
Seeing the text under the icons looks a bit better compared to only icons if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaloS View Post
I like the sleek and simple menu, much like Half-Life 2 and, as you said, XMB. While I doubt this is the final phase I do hope they keep the same design.
- The Stinger
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #1436
Talos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineT9 mustang View Post
Yeah - There was a tactical nuke gun back in 98 in the original Prey concept. I guess there bringing it into DNF where it belongs
Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #1437
Stevey Boy

Well TBH I had almost given up on DNF but just had a look today n it looks wicked, cant be too far away now? Just to confirm I cant find it anywhere on XBOX Live Marketplace!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #1438
Tim. Just Tim.
Even Shadow Warrior had a pretty sweet Nuke back in the day.

Damn that game was cool....
Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #1439
Tim. Just Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey Boy View Post
Well TBH I had almost given up on DNF but just had a look today n it looks wicked, cant be too far away now? Just to confirm I cant find it anywhere on XBOX Live Marketplace!!!
Just a few more years!!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #1440
MrGfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey Boy View Post
iits there, under "Independent Videos"? "The Jace Hall Show" it costs 80 points