Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Gaming Topics > Other Gaming Discussions

Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
ZuljinRaynor

Looking for Games with Large Character Customization
Default Looking for Games with Large Character Customization
I'm looking for some games which are basically let me design my character like Oblivion, or Fallout 3, etc.

Now having the PC customizable is nice, I mean Mass Effect fits this for that regard. I can name myself and change my face.

So I'm looking for games like that. Bare minimum is naming myself. But not only would I like games that let me customize my PC... I'm also looking for some that let me customize PARTY characters. Looks, Names, etc. I'd prefer if the games were like let's say Wizardy with just facial portraits, but that's alright. As long as I can at least name them and pick a basic look (with some decent customization).

Genre doesn't really matter though I'm guessing these would be RPGs.

Here is a list of games I already know/own that fit my criteria:

1. X-Com UFO Defense/Terror from the Deep (Name characters; I can modify sex/race and stats using external programs if I want).
2. Disgaea (There are enough classes with interesting looks what fit the name I like to use).
3. Fallout 3 (I can name myself, change my hair, change my face, sex, race, found good armor mods, some decent looking armor in game).
4. Oblivion (Name, face, sex, age, race, great mods)
5. Mass Effect (Name, face, sex)
6. Fallout 1 and 2 (BARE MINIMUM just Name, sex)
7. Neverwinter Nights (Played it a while back, don't remember the customization)
8. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (name, sex, vampire type)
9. Titan Quest (Name and Sex... that's it)

There are a few more but I can't remember right now.

This list is just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. I'd like the game to be also if you have a squad/party that you can name them and customize them too. By all means, it doesn't have to be a party based RPG or anything, but that would be a big plus.

I do realize this is a rather specific question, but any help or recommendations are appreciated. Oh, and please don't list Morrowind. I have that. Preferably non-MMO games. Also preferably games that work, aka not Hellgate London.

Thanks if you can think of anything. If not, well thanks for trying.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Thief

Re: Looking for Games with Large Character Customization
Only one I can think is the Knights of the Old Republic series. Seeing as you named Mass Effect and NWN, I'm guessing you just forgot to mention the KotORs.
If not, the options you have aren't as vast as Oblivion or ME, but you can pick from a lot of faces, hairstyles, you can choose your name and so on. No squad customization, aside from assigning weapons/armor etc., but they'll react differently based on your decisions. Your character doesn't actually speak his lines either, so that sort of sucks.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Last edited by Thief; 08-14-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Mr Bear

Saints Row 2

/thread
Mr Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief View Post
Only one I can think is the Knights of the Old Republic series. Seeing as you named Mass Effect and NWN, I'm guessing you just forgot to about the KotORs.
If not, the options you have aren't as vast as Oblivion or ME, but you can pick from a lot of faces, hairstyles, you can choose your name and so on. No squad customization, aside from assigning weapons/armor etc., but they'll react differently based on your decisions. Your character doesn't actually speak his lines either, so that sort of sucks.
I've played Kotor, just forgot to mention it. Kotor was okay, just couple problems. 1) It bored me a bit. 2) I had to update my drivers to play Mass Effect on my GTX 280 and that broke Kotor. Kotor crashes between 30seconds and 4 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bear View Post
Saints Row 2

/thread
I've been interested in it, but I don't know whether to get it on PC or 360. Is there a demo also?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
December Man

The Sims 3
December Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
ZuljinRaynor

Have it, love it, play it. But I'm looking in this case for something more action based.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Simon Charles

Dungeons and Dragons Online.

http://www.ddo.com/

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35955

-Hercule Poirot
Simon Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
DerricktheW

The original Godfather game is pretty good, though if you don't have a 360, Wii, or PS3, don't bother, because all the other versions are so lite and crappy compared to the updates those games got.

Godfather 2 was the same for the platforms it released on. It not only lets you customize your character from face shape/body shape and huge clothes possiblities, but also all of that goes into your henchman hire (though you can't modify theyre body in any way, just clothes, skills, and the weapon they use)

Only thing is, Godfather 2 doesn't last very long. By the team you can have a full family thats got good skills, the game is over.
DerricktheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Da_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by December Man View Post
The Sims 3
I was just to say that

And well, the Fallout series is really high when it comes to PC customization but you know that already.

I can't remember some other games....The Sims and The Sims 2 with all the expansions?

GTA San Andreas let you personalize your character quite a lot, from a thin-fat person to haircuts, tattoes and stuff (Lots of Clothes). But I guess you're not into GTAs

Let's rock!

Stay Tuned. Coming WID.
Last edited by Da_Lurker; 08-15-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Da_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
I've been interested in it, but I don't know whether to get it on PC or 360. Is there a demo also?
Ive heard that the PC version had a nice assortment of problems, but that was at launch so maybe some of that was fixed. I have it on the 360 but I still have yet to play it . SR1 on the 360 was really good though so I cant see SR2 being crap.

Also, Dungeon Siege (and expansions, sequals and so on). You can pick name, gender, color, hair, clothing, and I think some facial features too but I cant say for sure off the top of my head.
Phayzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Mr.Fibbles

Saints Row 2 does have a lot of customization but you are a particular character with a name (and history from Saints Row 1). One of the things about it is that you can change yourself any time in the game by going to the plastic surgeon which is nifty but kind of pointless. I mean, after I beat the main game, I decided to screw around a little and I might get a sex change for fun

Since there is no MOD support for SR2 on the PC and I think they only recently released a patch, I would say go with the 360 version.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
Also, Dungeon Siege (and expansions, sequals and so on). You can pick name, gender, color, hair, clothing, and I think some facial features too but I cant say for sure off the top of my head.
How's the rest of the game?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #13
Hyperactive Slob

I am not sure about the first one but Baldurs Gate 2 is has your bare minumum customization I think.(Name, Gender, Race, Class)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
ZuljinRaynor

I wasn't a fan of Icewind Dale so I never tried BG. I don't really like that AD&D stuff.