Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games

Old 12-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
omega_supreme
Looking for Shareware edition Shadow Warrior in box
Hello all,

I am looking for a copy of the shareware edition of Shadow Warrior complete with its box. I have been looking for ages for a copy in good condition but I never saw one outide the one that Joe Siegler posted some time ago (see picture below).

I was hoping that someone here would have one and is willing to let it go for a good price. Does not have to be sealed (rather not actually) but the box must be in good condition. If someone has it, please let me know.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Glassagate
Re: Looking for Shareware edition Shadow Warrior in box
I'm a tad confused as to why. Are you a collector?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
Iggy

I would love to own a boxed copy of the shareware as well, it's the only item missing in my Shadow Warrior collection. Been looking for one on eBay for a while without result.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
omega_supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassagate View Post
I'm a tad confused as to why. Are you a collector?
Yes I am a collector. It is solely for collection purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I would love to own a boxed copy of the shareware as well, it's the only item missing in my Shadow Warrior collection. Been looking for one on eBay for a while without result.
It is strange that the amount of available Shadow Warrior stuff is so low. I cannot remember the game sold that bad. Moreover, people pay loads of money for Blood items but not for Shadow Warrior. However for as far as I can tell there is lots more Blood stuff in circulation than Shadow Warrior, hence I would assume SW stuff to be more expensive. But that is not the case.

Your collection looks awesome. I dont have much SW stuff yet. (I am more specialized in Doom). As a matter of fact I still dont have a boxed copy of the full version either. I cannot seem to find a box that does not have the darned 3dfx sticker on it.

Anyway, I really hope somebody here has one for me or knows where to find one.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_supreme View Post
Anyway, I really hope somebody here has one for me or knows where to find one.
Yoohoo!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
omega_supreme
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I noticed it before, close but it has a lot of shelfwear unfortunately. I was actually still referring to the ShareWare though.
A good copy of the full version I will find sooner or later. But that nice little ShareWare box seems impossible. I guess a lot of people throw
away their ShareWare boxes
Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
MrBlackCat

I have never seen the boxed shareware for Shadow Warrior for sale on eBay. I have had it in searches for years. I don't even know a collector with it actually.
Boxed Shareware for these old games is getting really hard to find compared to four or five years ago.
I collect mostly DOS First Person Shooters and their add-ons (also compilation, shovelware related to FPS's)
I have managed to find boxed Shareware of all the usual ones:
Blood
DooM
Duke Nukem 3D
Heretic
and Rise of the Triad

Good luck finding Shadow Warrior Shareware Boxed (in any condition) and if you find two of them, please let me have a shot at it. I'm not rich, but I have my priorities.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 12-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
I have never seen the boxed shareware for Shadow Warrior for sale on eBay. I have had it in searches for years. I don't even know a collector with it actually.
I saw one sealed copy once for € 15,- and I bid on a second one I found later on. After my bid the auction was suspended before it ended but a few days later I got an eBay e-mail saying I didn't won the item which got sold (apparently) for € 50,- to a second bidder (another Dutch game collector like me, I chatted with him about our collections).
Last edited by Iggy; 12-16-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Rapture_Rising

I once found a boxed full version of Rise of the Triad in a second hand shop going for $5.

Damn... i wish i had bought it
Old 12-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
omega_supreme
Quote:
I collect mostly DOS First Person Shooters and their add-ons (also compilation, shovelware related to FPS's) I have managed to find boxed Shareware of all the usual ones:

Blood
DooM
Duke Nukem 3D
Heretic
and Rise of the Triad

Good luck finding Shadow Warrior Shareware Boxed (in any condition) and if you find two of them, please let me have a shot at it. I'm not rich, but I have my priorities.
MrBlackCat
Hey, nothing is impossible to find, even though is seems so sometimes. I have looked for much more rare stuff and ended up owning it. Eventually I will have a boxed copy of Shadow Warrior ShareWare. I thought this was THE place to look for it though. But it seems I must find another way. When I find a second one I will let you know.

It also seems that you have exactly the same area of interest as I do. I also collect First Person Shooters. Most of it is DOS as well, but as long as it has a big cardboard box I am interested in it. Here is a picture of my most beloved stuff, Doom! Its a bit outdated but the important things are in there. I see you already managed to secure the Shareware version of many classics. I have seen Doom (didn't bid because I though they where more common and I could find a better copy.. stupid!) Heretic, Blood and ROTT come by before. BUT Duke3D is a nice catch! Never seen that one for sale either. Must be just as rare as Shadow Warrior. Do you have the small GT release ShareWare of Doom or the bigger box?

Quote:
I saw one sealed copy once for 15,- and I bid on a second one I found later on. After my bid the auction was suspended before it ended but a few days later I got an eBay e-mail saying I didn't won the item which got sold (apparently) for 50,- to a second bidder (another Dutch game collector like me, I chatted with him about our collections).
Nice! When exactly was this? Must be a long time ago since I never saw them and I think I am pretty thorough with my searches. Very annoying when auctions are ended early because somebody plays it unfair.

Interestingly enough I am Dutch too. Seems there are more of use into collecting old fps games. Can you remember who it was that bought the second Shadow Warrior? Maybe I know him.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Hey, nothing is impossible to find, even though is seems so sometimes. I have looked for much more rare stuff and ended up owning it. Eventually I will have a boxed copy of Shadow Warrior ShareWare. I thought this was THE place to look for it though. But it seems I must find another way. When I find a second one I will let you know.

It also seems that you have exactly the same area of interest as I do. I also collect First Person Shooters. Most of it is DOS as well, but as long as it has a big cardboard box I am interested in it. Here is a picture of my most beloved stuff, Doom! Its a bit outdated but the important things are in there. I see you already managed to secure the Shareware version of many classics. I have seen Doom (didn't bid because I though they where more common and I could find a better copy.. stupid!) Heretic, Blood and ROTT come by before. BUT Duke3D is a nice catch! Never seen that one for sale either. Must be just as rare as Shadow Warrior. Do you have the small GT release ShareWare of Doom or the bigger box?
I am certain nothing is impossible with finding games. I have 200 active searches at all times as well as a few contacts who help find things from other sources.
I too would think that this would be THE place to find collectors, but it simply is not. I have never understood this. There are some collectors like Iggy who is a very serious collector but only he comes to mind. There are others, but they are not all that interactive. It seems odd to me there is not several trading threads and points of exchange and a whole virtual market happening here. <?>
Anyway, DooM Shareware...
I have three actually. Depending on your level of collector purity:
1. The "Large Box" from GT Interactive distributed with full Retail Boxed Wolfenstein sometime in1995
2. A Small Box (Canada/Israel made) with both DooM and Wolf shareware. (Was a GT Interactive Dist)
3. Normal Box Canadian release through Gold Medallion. Of course not an "official release" but I am not a purist by any means. I open ALL of my games and play them. I don't keep any "10" boxed games. When I do get perfect or near perfect games, I wait and try to find less perfect games and sell the 10's to "serious" collectors. I sometimes just trade even my 10 for somes 8~9 etc. I am no longer actively selling though I did for years.
I see you have lots of DooM. Thank you for sharing the link.

Here is my DooM items, boxed or not, but I don't have an image to share at this time... (No box-size entry in first column means non-boxed)

Small Thin-- DooM (Original 3 Episodes)
Normal-Thin-- DooM (Canadian Original Shareware - Knee Deep in the Dead)
Normal-- DooM (Free Shareware with Wolfenstein 3D Full Version)
Small-- DooM (Shareware packaged with Wolfenstein 3D Shareware)
Normal-- DooM 2
Normal-- DooM 2: Screen Saver
DooM: 1001 Nights of DooM (Add on Levels and Utilities)
Small-- DooM: Collectors Edition (Ultimate DooM, Final DooM, DooM II, DooM III Video)
Normal-- DooM: Companion Edition (2 CD's: Shareware DooM and Full Ultimate Add On Coll.)
Normal-- DooM: D!Match
Medium-- DooM: D!Zone 150
DooM: D!Zone 2 (150)
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone 2 - 1000 (box version with simulated single screen shot and "Sequal to No. 1 Selling D!Zone")
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone 2 - 1000 (box version with real screen shots (3) on front)
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone 3 (1000 Levels)
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone 75 (75 Levels and a 32 level DooM Conversion)
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone Collectors Edition (Older box version with three small screen shots)
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone Collectors Edition (Newer box version with one larger simulated screen shot)
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone Gold (3000)
Normal-- DooM: D!Zone MAC Collectors Edition
Normal-Thick-- DooM: Deathday Collection
Normal-- DooM: Death Match (7000)
Normal-- DooM: Death Match 2 for DooM II (900 Levels)
Medium-- DooM: Demon Gate 600
Medium-- DooM: Demon Gate 666 (NIB, additional CD on shelf)
DooM: Demon Gate Mega Collection 6000
DooM: DooM 2 Mania (Add On Levels and Tools)
DooM: DooM Accessory Pack Volume 1 (150 tested levels and Utilities)
DooM: DooM Accessory Pack Volume 3 (150 DooM 2 and 500 DooM Levels)
DooM: DooM I & II Collection (Hundreds of levels, tips, hints etc.)
DooM: DooM Extras - (Levels, characters, music effects, etc. New 9 Level episodes)
DooM: DooM II Extras - Down and Dirty (Levels, cheats, cracks & editors)
Normal-Thick-- DooM: DooMs Day Collection (varient of DeathDay Collection)
Normal-- DooM: Final Doom (Also on Collectors Edition CD)
Small-- DooM: Hell on CD-ROM (500 Meg of utilities and levels)
DooM: Hell To Pay (WizardWorks add-on)
Normal-- DooM: Master Levels
DooM: Maximum Death
DooM: MegaDooM Adventures
DooM: MegaDooM 2 (1500 Levels for DooM, DooM 2 and Heretic)
DooM: The DooM Hackers Guide
DooM: The Ultimate Add On Collection for DooM / DooM II
DooM: Toolkit for DooM For DooM Version 1 <?>
Normal-- DooM: Ultimate DooM (Original plus Thy Flesh Consumed* - 3-box has poster!)
Normal-Thick-- DooM: Ultimate DooM (European Release with Red Demon)
DooM: UltraDooM (400 Levels, weapons, utils, cheats, hints etc)

I wonder if there was ever a marked shareware box for DooM distributed by id Software... like the Heretic boxes. (small-thin box I mean) I have my original DooM box (and Heretic) I bought from id directly before they turned distribution over to GT. I do know that id Software retained the distribution rights for most of their games for a few months before turning them over to the distributor.
Duke 3D Shareware is not that uncommon. I show four in the last 30 months on eBay. I record occurance and price of about onehundred 3D FPS's. In all my years of search Data I don't show any boxed Shadow Warrior however. This does not mean I didn't miss it/them though. The eBay auto-search system is not very reliable.
As stated, good luck finding Boxed Shadow Warrior Shareware. If I suddenly find two copies, I will let you (omega_supreme) know first.

I only have my one copy, but I know a guy who used to sell DooM Boxed (large) Shareware new. I can check and see if he has any left if you are interested. Just let me know.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #12
Iggy

Quote:
There certainly are several items in my collections I never would have thought owning them one day such as a big boxed copy of Duke Nukem Manhattan Project I bought a few weeks ago. Incomplete, but in perfect state.

Click on the link in my signature if you wanna see my complete game collections (although a bit outdated already!).

Quote:
This one in the center is the share ware copy of Doom I got. A boxed shareware copy of Blood is one I would love to add one day just like Shadow Warrior.

Quote:
Nice! When exactly was this? Must be a long time ago since I never saw them and I think I am pretty thorough with my searches. Very annoying when auctions are ended early because somebody plays it unfair.
Half a year to 9 months ago I think. Definitely been a while at least.

Quote:
Interestingly enough I am Dutch too. Seems there are more of use into collecting old fps games. Can you remember who it was that bought the second Shadow Warrior? Maybe I know him.
I got his name in my contact list, I'll look it up when I get home.
Last edited by Iggy; 12-17-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
omega_supreme
Quote:

Here is my DooM items, boxed or not, but I don't have an image to share at this time... (No box-size entry in first column means non-boxed)

I wonder if there was ever a marked shareware box for DooM distributed by id Software... like the Heretic boxes. (small-thin box I mean) I have my original DooM box (and Heretic) I bought from id directly before they turned distribution over to GT. I do know that id Software retained the distribution rights for most of their games for a few months before turning them over to the distributor.

Duke 3D Shareware is not that uncommon. I show four in the last 30 months on eBay. I record occurance and price of about onehundred 3D FPS's.

I only have my one copy, but I know a guy who used to sell DooM Boxed (large) Shareware new. I can check and see if he has any left if you are interested. Just let me know.

MrBlackCat
Nice list. Although I do not intend to collect 3rd party Doom titles as well, I must admit that is one impressive list. I really did enjoy reading it, so all the work has not been a waste

I wish I had bought the original Doom at release date, like you did. Must be so cool to own a copy ordered by yourself with your name on the invoice. I'm afraid Doom was a bit before my time though. When you ever make a picture, don't forget to post here.

About the small box Doom shareware. The answer is yes and no. There was a small box like Heretic but it was not distributed by ID themselves. It was also a GT release, like the big box, just in the smaller format. I have two pictures here and here. It's exactly the same as the big box, just smaller. I passed up on two of them on ebay and a third was snatched away from me (auction ended early). I still do not have any shareware item of Doom (except the bare floppies). I can easily get a big box copy right now, so no need to put any effort in that. Thanks for the offer though. If he also has the small box then I would be interested.

Still not convinced about Duke 3D shareware. Do you really mean the gray box? I never see them on ebay, certainly not in the last 30 days. I must admit I do not put that much effort in finding it though. At least not at recently. If there is one again, let me know. Maybe I am searching the wrong way.

Quote:
Click on the link in my signature if you wanna see my complete game collections (although a bit outdated already!).

This one in the center is the share ware copy of Doom I got. A boxed shareware copy of Blood is one I would love to add one day just like Shadow Warrior.

Half a year to 9 months ago I think. Definitely been a while at least.

I got his name in my contact list, I'll look it up when I get home.
Very interesting collection Iggy. I see you are a fan of Blood too. This is my second favorite after Doom. I recently found a nice copy of the shareware on ebay. With that one I have my original Blood collection complete. I can make pictures this weekend. The blood shareware box is not that hard to find, if you are less picky than me. The plasma pak was a real pain though. Took me a lot of effort to find one and I had to pay the grand price for it. If you look for "spill some" on ebay the hitrate is higher than just "blood" in videogames or something similar to that. Just my experience, maybe it works for you.

Anyway, I will be watching this thread for your input. Cant wait to find out which dutchy was able to secure a SW copy of shadow warrior.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
MrBlackCat

Quote:
There certainly are several items in my collections I never would have thought owning them one day such as a big boxed copy of Duke Nukem Manhattan Project I bought a few weeks ago. Incomplete, but in perfect state.

I have been looking for a copy of that Large Box Manhattan for a long time. That is so great you found one. If you find another, please let me know.

Quote:
Nice list. Although I do not intend to collect 3rd party Doom titles as well, I must admit that is one impressive list. I really did enjoy reading it, so all the work has not been a waste

I wish I had bought the original Doom at release date, like you did. Must be so cool to own a copy ordered by yourself with your name on the invoice. I'm afraid Doom was a bit before my time though. When you ever make a picture, don't forget to post here.
No work for the list. I keep a spreadsheet of all my games for all types of systems I just sorted, copied and pasted with some minor formatting.
After Wolfenstein, I bought DooM as soon as it was available. I still have the receipt in the boxes for DooM and Heretic.
I will be taking images later this year when I get my computer room finished. I do have my collection here in my new house though. Is great to be able to run in the other room and look through them for something. (They have been at my other house for almost two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega_supreme

About the small box Doom shareware. The answer is yes and no. There was a small box like Heretic but it was not distributed by ID themselves. It was also a GT release, like the big box, just in the smaller format. I have two pictures here and here. It's exactly the same as the big box, just smaller. I passed up on two of them on ebay and a third was snatched away from me (auction ended early). I still do not have any shareware item of Doom (except the bare floppies). I can easily get a big box copy right now, so no need to put any effort in that. Thanks for the offer though. If he also has the small box then I would be interested.
Thank you for the image. I have not seen that one before. Have to add that one to my wanted list. I am certain he does not have the small box... "so many boxes, so little time..."

Quote:
Still not convinced about Duke 3D shareware. Do you really mean the gray box? I never see them on ebay, certainly not in the last 30 days. I must admit I do not put that much effort in finding it though. At least not at recently. If there is one again, let me know. Maybe I am searching the wrong way.
Actually I typed 30 months... the last one I show was about seven months ago. I will watch for another and keep you in mind. As I stated in a previous post, these things are getting harder to find quickly.
Gray box... hmm... not familiar with that. Mine is in this picture...
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/attach...1&d=1212265204
This is the only Duke Nukem Shareware I am familiar with. Is this what you call the Gray Box?

MrBlackCat

Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
omega_supreme
Quote:
After Wolfenstein, I bought DooM as soon as it was available. I still have the receipt in the boxes for DooM and Heretic.
I will be taking images later this year when I get my computer room finished. I do have my collection here in my new house though. Is great to be able to run in the other room and look through them for something. (They have been at my other house for almost two years.
WOW! You have both Doom and Heretic with a invoice? Too bad they are your original copies. Otherwise I would have definately tried to pry from you. That is like the ultimate price for me. Is Heretic the floppy or CD-ROM version? I was lucky to find the CD version in mint condition but I have not even found a single floppy version, any condition at all, let alone one with invoice. Please make some pictures from those as well when you have time.

Quote:
Actually I typed 30 months... the last one I show was about seven months ago. I will watch for another and keep you in mind. As I stated in a previous post, these things are getting harder to find quickly.
Gray box... hmm... not familiar with that. Mine is in this picture...
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/attach...1&d=1212265204
This is the only Duke Nukem Shareware I am familiar with. Is this what you call the Gray Box?
Ah ok, that explains I must have misread that sentence completely. A handfull in 30 monts is entirely possible. It is indeed what I meant by gray box by the way. Since I don't have the box myself it might not be as gray as it appears in pictures, so maybe I described it wrong. The Duke 3D shareware box appeas much larger than Shadow Warrior and Blood. Is this really the case? It would be strange, all the Build engine games appear to have a standard format for the ShareWare and full version boxes.

If somebody is still interested I made some pictures of the Blood shareware box, front and back, and all the stuff together here. Does anybody know what is supposed to be in the ShareWare box in order to call it complete? (paperwork, CD, jewelcase etc.)
Old 12-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
MrBlackCat

Quote:
WOW! You have both Doom and Heretic with a invoice? Too bad they are your original copies. Otherwise I would have definately tried to pry from you. That is like the ultimate price for me. Is Heretic the floppy or CD-ROM version? I was lucky to find the CD version in mint condition but I have not even found a single floppy version, any condition at all, let alone one with invoice. Please make some pictures from those as well when you have time.
DooM and Heretic were awesome back in the day for sure. I have never (since 1984) sold or traded a game that I bought for myself. I used to actively sell 3D First Person Shooters but due to a change in job type no longer have time available to do so. I found a lot of things I didn't have logged in my spreadsheet when I moved my games to my new house. When I put them in my new game room later next year I will have a comprehensive list and sell off or trade my extras. I don't have any extra DooM or Heretic that is for sure.
I will get pictures when I start sorting them out.

I will attach a picture I took from when I moved most of my collection. This is 90% of what I have and all is 3D First Person Shooters. This is not any of the books and guides. Yeah, this is the bed of a truck... which is full... and almost completely double deep. (Yep, that is SouthPark right in the front there, LOL!)

Anyway, my copies of Heretic and its Shareware are both Floppy Disk.

Quote:
Ah ok, that explains I must have misread that sentence completely. A handfull in 30 monts is entirely possible. It is indeed what I meant by gray box by the way. Since I don't have the box myself it might not be as gray as it appears in pictures, so maybe I described it wrong. The Duke 3D shareware box appeas much larger than Shadow Warrior and Blood. Is this really the case? It would be strange, all the Build engine games appear to have a standard format for the ShareWare and full version boxes.
The Duke Nukem Shareware box I have is a pretty dark, but not Black, just Dark Gray. As far as size... it is actually the same height (26.2cm) and width (22.3cm) as a US release Duke Nukem 3D Box, but is thinner... 3.2cm as opposed to the normal 4.5cm. As far as color/shade, gray is pretty accurate I think. The shareware and typical US release box are about the same shade on the spine... when on a shelf next to each other. I will get some pictures at some point so you can see what I mean.

MrBlackCat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0122_smaller.jpg (142.0 KB, 53 views)