Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages > Non 3DR Game Discussion

Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
FullMetalJacket
Mass Effect 3 announcement trailer
HECK YES!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vg...-effect/708363

Thoughts??

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Jeff

Re: Mass Effect 3 announcement trailer
Sounds good. Can't wait.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Wamplet

I'm of course glad the game is coming out, but the devs already said it was coming out. My problem is when they release these stupid 15 second videos that show nothing of the game.

I'd rather just have a developer interview at this point.

Will it be out next year?
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamplet View Post
My problem is when they release these stupid 15 second videos that show nothing of the game.

Will it be out next year?
Maybe they're building the suspense?

I've heard that the game was supposed to be finished in late 2011, and that was 3 months ago. Also was a rumor, so maybe when they say holiday 2011, they mean December 2011 or around there.

Some games that I know of are announced to the public around a year ahead of time. Also goes for some movies. The really good ones anyways.
Last edited by Jeff; 12-14-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Water12356

Hopefully it will be more like ME 1 than 2. 2 wasnt horrible, I enjoyed it. Its just that theres a few flaws in it.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
December Man

People on the Bioware forums speculated it will be about an attack on Earth for quite some time. They were right, apparently. But how did the Reapers manage to get to Earth without the Citadel relay?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Wamplet

I thought the Charon Relay was it's own relay? Couldn't they just use that or would they have to come in from the Omega relay?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
FullMetalJacket
The Omega-4 relay was a direct link to the Collector base at the center of the galaxy. The ending cutscene of ME2 showed Spoiler:

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Wamplet

Oh No Re: Mass Effect 3 announcement trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJacket View Post
The Omega-4 relay was a direct link to the Collector base at the center of the galaxy. The ending cutscene of ME2 showed Spoiler:
Yeah, i remember the ending and figured if they aren't where the first 2 games originally stated they were anymore, then they really wouldn't need the omega relay. They could use any relay they got to or just not use one at all.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Jeff

I heard ME3 will use some things from ME2 such as thermal clips and such (ME1 had that overheating thing).
Old 12-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Wamplet

I wonder if there is any chance of getting the movie out when ME3 ships?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #12
Aegeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by December Man View Post
People on the Bioware forums speculated it will be about an attack on Earth for quite some time. They were right, apparently. But how did the Reapers manage to get to Earth without the Citadel relay?
Probably just flew their asses there and arrived to promptly get drunk in Paris. Things just went downhill after that.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Nacho

I'm mighty surprised a complete edition of Mass Effect 2 hasn't come out with all the DLC attached... I was betting one would come.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
I'm mighty surprised a complete edition of Mass Effect 2 hasn't come out with all the DLC attached... I was betting one would come.
Well, that's what the PS3 version will have next month.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Jeff

Heard rumors they might make Mass Effect 4 if the third one is successful. They were originally just going to make this a trilogy. We'll see how it goes. Again, they are just rumors.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Wamplet

Ahhh best.news.evar
Old 01-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #17
Jeff

Any bets on who the final boss is going to be? My bet is on Harbinger in his true form as a reaper.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
robotman5

cool.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #19
Danule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water12356 View Post
Hopefully it will be more like ME 1 than 2. 2 wasnt horrible, I enjoyed it. Its just that theres a few flaws in it.
that's interesting, i found me 2 to be a lot more fun than part 1...
Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #20
ZuljinRaynor

Cause you prefer action games over RPGs.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #21
Jeff

In preparation for Mass Effect 3, I figure I'd go around and collect a lot of the trailers and videos related to Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3. The official ones anyways.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #22
Dan the Man

There was a huge compilation pack of Mass Effect 2 IGN videos available a while back - about 2GB worth of voice actors interviews, developer diaries, class introductions and suchlike - but I can't find it online.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
Wamplet

Oh No Re: Mass Effect 3 announcement trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
There was a huge compilation pack of Mass Effect 2 IGN videos available a while back - about 2GB worth of voice actors interviews, developer diaries, class introductions and suchlike - but I can't find it online.
Dang that sucks.

I forgot how i stumbled on those, but i watched every single one of them when i found them.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Kronx
ME2 was the first RPG I've played multiple times, back to back, in a while. It improved the things I hated from ME1.

The only thing I wasn't really a fan of was planet scanning. That was mind-numbing and not much better than aimlessly driving around planets in ME1.

Hurry up, we've got to save the universe! But first, let's spend a decade roaming around the universe mining.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #25
ZuljinRaynor

Yay, let's dumb down RPGs even more.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #26
hiob

The term 'RPG' is used rather loosely nowadays.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #27
FullMetalJacket
This might not be legit, but it's exciting!! http://www.robertdraws.com/2011/03/m...ncept-art.html

Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
hiob

"First off this is NOT real concept work for Bioware."

I know pictures are pretty and everything, but reading does have its advantages too.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #29
FullMetalJacket
Finally some more information. http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/boa...hreadid=120531

Here's a snippet someone posted from the game informer article:

Got my new Game Informer, read the ME3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

Speaking of which, there's a screenshot of Ashley with her hair down, and she actually looks hot. Don't have a scanner, so wait till someone with one turns up.

Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

That's basically the gist of it, except for the sidebars filled with stuff everyone already knows.

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
Jeff

Spoiler:
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #31
ZuljinRaynor

The Illusive Man is Harbinger.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #32
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Well, very glad to see they are not pushing MP into this.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Dying Light, Hellraid, Dead Island 2, FarCry 4
Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #33
ZuljinRaynor

I still have no hope for it. Surprise me, Bioware.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #34
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I have hope for it. Considering the team that made ME2 didn't make DA2.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #35
ZuljinRaynor

But the team at ME2 did dumb it down ME1 into ME2 and released tons of crap DLC for ME2. They also bow down to EA.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #36
Jeff

Don't buy it if you don't like it.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #37
Darkman 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
But the team at ME2 did dumb it down ME1 into ME2 and released tons of crap DLC for ME2. They also bow down to EA.
I thought ME2 did a good job at removing the unnecessary RPG parts in ME1. I would've liked weapon customization and other RPGish things that didn't make combat clunky (like ME1's combat was), but it seems they're trying to fix that in ME3.

Also, you take that back about "crap DLC". Overlord and Shadow Broker were amazing, while Arrival and Kasumi was pretty damn good.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #38
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman 4 View Post
Also, you take that back about "crap DLC". Overlord and Shadow Broker were amazing, while Arrival and Kasumi was pretty damn good.

QFT!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #39
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Well, I haven't played any of the DLC because I've heard they were crap (other then Shadow Broker)... but from BioWare's history, their DLC has almost always been crap.

And even though they did dumb down ME2, it's a damn good game. I miss a lot of the RPG elements from the first game, and the inventory system... but ME2 is awesome.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #40
Jeff

I haven't played Overlord (yet), but am I to understand that if I don't do it that it could affect certain things with Mass Effect 3? They did say that every choice has it's consequence. However, I'm not sure if that just applies to the main story, or the DLC as well.

For example, with Mass Effect, if you didn't do certain things, it would play out as if you bad things (renegade) in Mass Effect 2. Not sure if Overlord had any major plot lines which could seriously affect the outcome for Mass Effect 3. Not sure if it's mandatory or optional.
Last edited by Jeff; 04-12-2011 at 02:28 AM.