Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > Archives > General Messages

Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
darkmuck
Question So what exactly is happening with / the future of 3DRealms and also Apogee Software?
I've been lurking on this forum for years and am a huge fan of 3DR games in general. After the DNF debacle I've been wondering about the future of 3DR and the new spin-off company Apogee Software, LLC (apogeesoftware.com). There hasn't really been any definitive information regarding the future of either of these two companies. Does anyone have a clue as to what the future may hold?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
The Dukenator

Re: So what exactly is happening with / the future of 3DRealms and also Apogee Softwa
Apogee Software, LLC is not a spin off. Its a different company that uses the Apogee name.
3D Realms is Apogee Software, Ltd. Apogee Software, LLC is entirely new.

No word on either company future. 3D Realms may be waiting for Gearbox to release DNF, before moving on.
Last edited by The Dukenator; 02-15-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Latimus

Re: So what exactly is happening with / the future of 3DRealms and also Apogee Softwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dukenator View Post
Apogee Software, LLC is not a spin off. Its a different company that uses the Apogee name.
3D Realms is Apogee Software, Ltd. Apogee Software, LLC is entirely new.

No word on either company future. 3D Realms may be waiting for Gearbox to release DNF, before moving on.
How is Apogee Software, LLC not a spinoff?
And how is it an "entirely new company"?
They say this on their site:

"After a 13 year absence, Apogee Software is “Back in Action” as a publisher will continue its proud tradition of bringing top quality PC games direct to the consumer via digital distribution while at the same time expanding its publication muscle into next generation consoles."

Yes, it's a new company, but it's a continuation of the old one.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
The Dukenator

Quote:
Dallas, TX – July 14, 2008 – Apogee Software is back to re-establish itself as an innovative leader in interactive entertainment. Apogee is reviving some of its legacy catalogue of 30+ releases as well as publishing all-new properties in collaboration with diverse creators and developers.

Apogee is bringing the King of Action himself, Duke Nukem™, to the handheld console market with three new missions, together called the Duke Nukem Trilogy™. Apogee Software is producing the Trilogy under an exclusive license agreement with 3D Realms and MachineWorks Northwest LLC. The Trilogy is comprised of three episodes: Critical Mass™, Chain Reaction™, and Proving Grounds™.

“This marks a new beginning for a famous publisher with a history of market-making innovation,” said Terry Nagy, co-founder and Chief Operating Officer of Apogee. “I can’t think of a better character than Duke or a better franchise than the Trilogy to usher in a new era for Apogee.”

Apogee pioneered the shareware game revolution in 1987 by inventing the concept of game demos, distributed online, which advertised the remaining episodes in a series. Before this time, game demos and episodic releases were unheard of. These concepts created by Apogee have become mainstream today.

“It’s funny how what’s old is new again in this industry,” remarked Apogee co-founder, Scott Miller. “Many of the things Apogee pioneered are back in style, so it only makes sense to bring back Apogee and its properties with a visionary team that will once again create innovation for gamers around the world.”
Source: http://www.apogeesoftware.com/compan...urns-to-action

Old article yes, but someone can explain this better. My head hurts too much from other stuff.
Last edited by The Dukenator; 03-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
wayskobfssae

Ugh... I have enough trouble dealing with consoles as real gaming platforms. Handhelds (which these days means frigging iPhones, I can't tolerate at all.)

Sheesh...

We need a new Shadow Warrior game.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
IceColdDuke
Probably won't hear anything from them until DNF is released.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Jeff

Thumbs up Re: So what exactly is happening with / the future of 3DRealms and also Apogee Softwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayskobfssae View Post
We need a new Shadow Warrior game.
I'd go for Lo Wang with updated graphics.

Quote:
Ugh... I have enough trouble dealing with consoles as real gaming platforms. Handhelds (which these days means frigging iPhones, I can't tolerate at all.)
I guess it's a personal preference for some. I can't aim for shit on a console, so having a computer is for me.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
IceColdDuke
I'm really surprised and glad that John Galt(the voice actor of Lo Wang) is still around and doing stuff http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0303344/, but I really doubt we'll see another SW anytime soon. Although it would be a good title to bring back 3drealms.

I agree on a console its a pain in the ass the aim properly but a Kinect version of Shadow Warrior would be bad ass.
Last edited by IceColdDuke; 03-04-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdDuke View Post
I'm really surprised and glad that John Galt(the voice actor of Lo Wang) is still around and doing stuff http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0303344/, but I really doubt we'll see another SW anytime soon. Although it would be a good title to bring back 3drealms.
Only if done right, which means not done in the same spirit of the first game. What Shadow Warrior needs is a reboot where Lo Wang can use actual ninja techniques and equipment, done in 3rd person in order to show off the martial arts, and without penis jokes.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
Only if done right, which means not done in the same spirit of the first game. What Shadow Warrior needs is a reboot where Lo Wang can use actual ninja techniques and equipment, done in 3rd person in order to show off the martial arts, and without penis jokes.
I hope you don't mean: Make it a completely serious game.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Kalki

I've dreamt about playing a fairly serious, story-oriented, stealth ninja action game in third person with Lo Wang as a pervasive character you see on TV screens, arcades and comics in-game. Even had a fairly deep story developed for it. It's more of a spin-off actually but I called it, "Son of Shadow Warrior".
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #12
Destructor

Yes, I think we all need some more Wang.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 AM   #13
dan2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdDuke View Post
I'm really surprised and glad that John Galt(the voice actor of Lo Wang) is still around and doing stuff http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0303344/....
I never ever noticed John Galt made the voice of Enisi in Prey. How interesting is that!

Quote:
Yes, working with the same gameplay features from Batman Arkham Asylum, not with an open world, of course, and equilibrating seriousness with humour. I agree penis/bad jokes are a pain to listen, but I wouldn't mind humour still present...

A man can dream ..

You know what else? I could also see just another FPS SW game, featuring some 'parkour gameplay' from Brink, which I have yet to play, but found interesting watching.

Finally, I don't know if Lo Wang is a name people would still appreciate, anyway (?), at least if they want to take it seriously. Maybe changing it to 'Wong'..
Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
wayskobfssae

Is there a logical reason to assume that Duke still works in the modern social climate but Lo Wang wouldn't?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
Altered Reality

Quote:
I hope you don't mean: Make it a completely serious game.
No. Had I meant that, I would've written "make it a completely serious game".
Quote:
Is there a logical reason to assume that Duke still works in the modern social climate but Lo Wang wouldn't?
Yes. Duke is irreverent, Lo Wang is unfunny.
Hearing witty remarks about what is currently happening in the game is funny, hearing completely random penis jokes is not. For example: if Lo Wang slices an enemy in two with his katana, he could say: "Typical problem of split personality" and it would be funny because it relates to the context. Or he could say: "Do you want to wash wang, or do you want to watch Wang wash wang?" and that would be unfunny because there would be no reason for him to say that.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Yes. Duke is irreverent, Lo Wang is unfunny.
Hearing witty remarks about what is currently happening in the game is funny, hearing completely random penis jokes is not. For example: if Lo Wang slices an enemy in two with his katana, he could say: "Typical problem of split personality" and it would be funny because it relates to the context. Or he could say: "Do you want to wash wang, or do you want to watch Wang wash wang?" and that would be unfunny because there would be no reason for him to say that.
Aye, though just from that, it's certainly an issue that is easily fixable. And Lo Wang would probably have even more interesting things to say in the current state of the world.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #17
KO Gilligan

There was an announcement and tweet recently regarding...

nevermind - migrating to board #3
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 03-31-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #18
ZuljinRaynor

Shadow Warrior was penis jokes mixed with five good levels (which were all in the shareware episode) and the rest was crap.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #19
Kalki

Quote:
Or he could say: "Do you want to wash wang, or do you want to watch Wang wash wang?" and that would be unfunny because there would be no reason for him to say that.
My memory is fuzzy. Didn't he say that to an anime babe taking a bath/seated on the can?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
My memory is fuzzy. Didn't he say that to an anime babe taking a bath/seated on the can?
Yes, to a babe washing herself.