Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
Java the Hutt

MaxFX engine
I have a few questions about the MaxFX engine used in Max Payne 1 & 2. I really enjoyed both games in this series, and I am facinated by the technology that powers these games.

1) Do any other games use this engine?

2) Is it possible to add multiplayer to it, or would the bullet time feature make that next to impossible?

3) How long did Remedy take to develop the engine?

4) Now that Take 2 owns the IP of Max Payne, do they also own the engine technology?

5) Does that one benchmark (I forget the name of it) still use the MaxFX engine?

6) Since Remedy and 3D Realms were close partners on the first game, did the companies share techniques and or code for Max Payne and Duke Nukem Forever? (This is probably Area 51, so I am not expecting an answer on this question).

I hope this does not spiral into the engine debates on the Duke Nukem Forever board.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:01 AM   #2
j
Re: MaxFX engine
Quote:
1) Do any other games use this engine?
No.

Quote:
3) How long did Remedy take to develop the engine?
From 1997 to 2003, one would assume.

Quote:
4) Now that Take 2 owns the IP of Max Payne, do they also own the engine technology?
Yep.

Quote:
5) Does that one benchmark (I forget the name of it) still use the MaxFX engine?
It's 3DMark and no.

Jos satut olemaan suomalainen, niin osta paita.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #3
poo_al
Quote:
Quote:
Yep.
Really? I would think that Remedy still holds the rights to their engine. It's just the Max Payne name and franchise that they sold, not the engine methinks.

Could someone from Remedy or 3DR confirm this? I'm curious to know if MaxFX was also sold.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:43 AM   #4
j
It's been asked about before and they've confirmed it.

Quote:
But since the technology was sold along with the IP, there is quite a chance that Max Payne 3 will be built using an (improved) version of the Max-FX engine.
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthread...=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Jos satut olemaan suomalainen, niin osta paita.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:19 AM   #5
Java the Hutt

Thanks for the info.

Since Take2 owns the tech, then maybe they can combine some of the good features of Max Payne tech into their GTA series. Their versions of GTA on the PC have some serious resource issues that you do not see in Max Payne.

I know Max and GTA are only similar because they use 3rd person view, but I can visualize a Max Payne without bullet time, the ability to drive vehicles, with a main character of less than honorable ethics. That game would be a GTA with smoother controls and less stuttering framerates on an average PC.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
Jokke_r

i highly doubt it. no actually i would know for a fact that that is not going to happen...
Old 01-05-2004, 07:32 AM   #7
Java the Hutt

I never said Take 2 or Rockstar was very innovative.

One can only dream about a game that runs as great as both Max Paynes with the open-ended gameplay of the GTA series.

They sure know how to make a lot of money (or lie about it in their accounting records ).
Old 01-05-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
poo_al
Quote:
It's been asked about before and they've confirmed it.

Quote:
But since the technology was sold along with the IP, there is quite a chance that Max Payne 3 will be built using an (improved) version of the Max-FX engine.
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthread...=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
Sweet mercy!
Old 01-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #9
biXen
Why would Remedy want to keep the engine anyway, they'd just get the stress of selling it if anything at all. They'll make a new leet one now