PDA

View Full Version : Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30

John
03-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Anybody checked this game out yet? It's pretty good compared to Medal of Honor.

IGN gives it a 9.1 (http://pc.ign.com/articles/596/596196p1.html)

I'm still in the beginning right now, but im enjoying it quite abit.

So whats everyone elses take on this game?

Claws
03-25-2005, 05:12 PM
I didn't like it. I'm probably just sick of WW2 games.

John
03-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Yeah I agree with that; they have really been overdoing the WW2 genre.

The only WW2 games Ive played before this, however, were Medal of Honor and Call of Duty. (And afew console games, and Wolfenstein 3d if that counts.)

AutoPilot
03-25-2005, 05:57 PM
It starts off a little slow and boring but seems to get better after Rommel's Asparagus garden and you get a tank to boss around.

I strongly recommend that you play on hard and turn off all the kiddie console crap you can such as the red dots above everyones head, the crosshairs, the tips, etc. Nothing you can do about the extreme linerality though or the lame dialogue.

I picked up a command which makes the bodies stay instead of immediately disappearing. Now, at least, I can search them for smokes.

Here’s how:

1. Find the user.ini file located under your profile settings in XP.

<root drive>\Documents and settings\<user profile>\Application Data\Gearbox software\Brothers in Arms\<profile name>\user.ini

2. Locate where you bind the 'move forward key' usually "W=MoveForward" and replace it with the code below.

W=MoveForward | Set infantrygermany minsecsbeforedisappear 99999 | Set infantryusa minsecsbeforedisappear 99999

^ (Note: All on one line) ^

3. Save and set file to Read Only.

I've also heard that the longer loading times being experienced (2-3 mins) can be reduced to 15-20 secs by turning off V-sync.

-=AutoPilot=-

Drazula
03-25-2005, 06:05 PM
The best console game/X-Box game ever. Period!!

jimbob
03-25-2005, 06:05 PM
heard the game had verry arcadish gameplay, is this true ? i hope it plays good, and how is it linear?

John
03-25-2005, 06:07 PM
jimbob said:
heard the game had verry arcadish gameplay, is this true ? i hope it plays good, and how is it linear?

Know how in Medal of Honor you do what they want you to do? Yeah.

What can you expect? You're in the military and if you dont wanna get branded as a traitor you do what they tell you to do. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hhg.gif

jimbob
03-25-2005, 06:10 PM
John said:

jimbob said:

Know how in Medal of Honor you do what they want you to do? Yeah.

What can you expect? You're in the military and if you dont wanna get branded as a traitor you do what they tell you to do. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hhg.gif

in the interview video the said that the levels were pretty open because they didnt want to have levels in the mohaa style, gues they lied then http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/redface.gif

wel, i`ll try the demo and decide then if i like it or not.

John
03-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, its alittle different. You can go around objects to get to the baddies.

Like, theres a guy across the field, and your captain is like "Find a way to get to him, we'll cover you."

You have afew differente ways to get to him. You can crawl through a burning building on the side, or duck behind a car and wait until you have time to run towards a different area.

Plus theres more strategic fighting this time. More thinking with the "Strategic View" or whatever.

Tedski
03-25-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm slowly playing the PC version. What I will say is that the environments they have recreated are excellent. So much so that I seriously doubt that they will be surpassed in a hurry. (Note, I have personally been to Normandy on a couple of occasions in the last few years to look around many of the D-Day sites, so I do feel 'qualified' to say that.) I'm not playing the game on hard at the moment, as I really want to get through some more of it, and I don't seem to have enough time to spend on it atm, but I will make an observation as regards the AI. It actually doesn't feel that clever. However, what people need to realise, is this game 'aims' for a good deal more realism than any before. Reality in Normandy in 1944 was the enemy was behind largely prepared positions, and as soon as you got to those positions, they gave up, or withdrew to more prepared positions. Therefore what seems like not too good AI is largely irrelevant. The linearity that is there exists as much as anything, due to the fact that you have to attack prepared positions in no more than a couple of different ways - well, if you want to succeed that is.
I do believe that for what it attempts to do, it is the most realistic of the WW2 games you will see. Medal of Honour I've played and enjoyed, Call of Duty I felt was superior to MOH by a good distance. Brothers in Arms is the best of the bunch by a fair way imho.
Note, I've not played it online, and am not likely to do so in a hurry.

AutoPilot
03-26-2005, 12:09 AM
King of the Hill for WW2 realism in the shooter genre is Hidden and Dangerous 2

By far.

-=AutoPilot=-

John
03-26-2005, 12:50 AM
The one thing i DID notice is the high amount of bloom they used in Normandy.

It's sooooo bright and shiny. It almost makes you think you're in a happy RPG rather than a gruesome WW2 epic.

Daveman
03-26-2005, 04:37 AM
I'm waiting for Call of Duty 2. Looks a lot better than this, honestly. If anyone has a PC Gamer subscription and read their preview, you know what I'm talking about.

I hear this game is way too short. Like 11 hours? That's rather absurd. I want quality and quantity.

Tedski
03-26-2005, 05:21 AM
AutoPilot said:
King of the Hill for WW2 realism in the shooter genre is Hidden and Dangerous 2

By far.

-=AutoPilot=-

Based on what? Apart from being set in WW2 it looks to me like another typical shooter that has next to no basis in reality.