PDA

View Full Version : California crack down on games retailers.


seregrail7
04-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks to a new bill any retailers found selling M games to under 17's will face a $1,000 fine. I think it's a good idea, it's just like selling cigarettes or alcohol to minors.
I did find something said by Leland Yee who proposed the bill to be quite stupid though.

"These video games teach our children how to kill, how to maim, how to hurt people, [u]women, minorities, poor people.</u> These are not the lessons we should be teaching our children,"


I geuss that means it's o.k to teach kids to kill men who are3 not part of a minority then. I mean why single out women and minorities, in the end it's just as morally wrong to kill them as to kill any other person.
He already said people, but i geuss that doesn't cover the others he listed.

Orochi Avlis
04-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Somebody should teach these people how to read a game box......

Wamplet
04-22-2005, 08:28 AM
That's great news. Of course it's already illegal in many, if not all states. It's just a matter of proper enforcement. They really should just do a ton of sting operations. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/redface.gif

MentalSentinel
04-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Bah, bullshit.
That's just encouraging warezing, it's not stopping anything. And I can't see why 17+ ratings even exist, it's so over the top.

NetNessie
04-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Mother groups again... http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif

DLT
04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
seregrail7 said:
Thanks to a new bill any retailers found selling M games to under 17's will face a $1,000 fine. I think it's a good idea, it's just like selling cigarettes or alcohol to minors.
I did find something said by Leland Yee who proposed the bill to be quite stupid though.

"These video games teach our children how to kill, how to maim, how to hurt people, [u]women, minorities, poor people.</u> These are not the lessons we should be teaching our children,"


I geuss that means it's o.k to teach kids to kill men who are3 not part of a minority then. I mean why single out women and minorities, in the end it's just as morally wrong to kill them as to kill any other person.
He already said people, but i geuss that doesn't cover the others he listed.



Good to see the crack down but that statement is flawed in so many ways.

That's a classic case of someone trying to be to PC and ending up putting more value on some peoples lives over others.

Oh and the teaching to kill bullshit is way off the mark. I believe that games can act as a catalyst to an already unstable mind the same as any Media or influence in a persons life can. But to say in not so many words that normal children will grow up to be killers by playing games makes no sense at all. In fact has been proven by most people on this forum who have grown up playing games all there life from a young age.

Blanket statements like this will become less and less as time goes on as the ones making them are not from our generation.

As we have seen in the past with the "evils" of TV,movies and rock and roll.

Cerberus_e
04-22-2005, 11:03 AM
well, I'm happy I don't live in california then, altough it's not even a month anymore until I'm 17

Hudson
04-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Personally I like this idea, it will help (at least to some extent) with all the lawsuits against game developers because of kids doing stupid shit and then using games as scapegoats.

I'm really not bothered if they crack down, or even card me when I buy a mature titled game (basically all I buy anyway). I'm 21, so it's not a big deal to me.

Orochi Avlis
04-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Hudson said:
Personally I like this idea, it will help (at least to some extent) with all the lawsuits against game developers because of kids doing stupid shit and then using games as scapegoats.



I like the idea as well, but what I don't like is their logic.

John
04-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Luckily Im old enough \o/

Tedski
04-23-2005, 11:01 AM
NetNessie said:
Mother groups again... http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/doh.gif



While the 'pressure' for this may well have come from the above, the reality is that any law that isn't enforced, isn't worth the paper it was written on. If you are going to have any sort of ratings system for anything, then you do actually have to make some effort to enforce it. Retailers, cinemas etc. all have the right to refuse to sell you something - irrespective of whether you are old enough. A fair proportion of the blame, or perhaps responsibility, should sit with them. They've probably got away with more than enough over the years (making money at the same time out of it too), so I have no qualms about them getting fined should they be caught. It's just a pity that this isn't more widespread - there would certainly be a lot less flack generated towards the gaming industry if it was (as Hudson said).

Jeff
04-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Even an 18 year old can learn that from a game. Maybe they should ban games for everyone under 25? However, that would cut off the gaming community significantly, so there's no point to IDing people for games. They IDed me for Doom 3, but I just whipped out my wallet and off I went.

Xgthug
04-23-2005, 11:17 PM
This is bullshit to the max.
Mature rated games don't just teach kids to kill,
so do Teen rated games.
Look at Timesplitters 2, rated T,
let's you kill people...
I guess it only matters if their head explodes
into a million bloody pieces that it counts as killing someone.
I say down with ESRB, bring back those old
RSAC ratings, where it actually told you the content levels on the front, then just make it so you have to be 18 to buy ANY game.
There is a large difference between life and a videogame, these stupid little kids who get influenced by things so easily don't deserve to play a good game anyway. It's things like this that really piss me off, I hate the whole rating system.
As I said before, bring back the RSAC ratings,
and make it 18+ to buy ANY game.

EDIT:
the T rating has to be the dumbest.
How do they know if you're 13+?
How many 13 year olds have an ID?
How do they know if the kid isn't 11 or 12?

MentalSentinel
04-24-2005, 10:28 AM
I guess it only matters if their head explodes
into a million bloody pieces that it counts as killing someone.
I say down with ESRB, bring back those old
RSAC ratings, where it actually told you the content levels on the front, then just make it so you have to be 18 to buy ANY game.
There is a large difference between life and a videogame, these stupid little kids who get influenced by things so easily don't deserve to play a good game anyway. It's things like this that really piss me off, I hate the whole rating system.
As I said before, bring back the RSAC ratings,
and make it 18+ to buy ANY game.



Please... 18+ for a game at all is insane.
And 18+ for any game is the dumbest thing I've EVER heard.

Nacho
04-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Jesus, who cares what is in a game. It's so god damn simple. If the parent dosen't like what's in it then don't let them get it or return it.

Same goes to movies, you can go with a parent if your to little. If the parent dosen't want them to see the movie do to someone dieing which I'm sure you can probably see in the show, Arthur or whatever, then don't let them see it.

Joe Siegler
04-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm all for enforcing the ratings system, and penalizing those who violate it. It's there for a reason!

However, uneducted remarks like the quote in the first post just go to show how generally naieve people making the rules are about the subject they're talking about.

She does have a point in that certain topics really have no socially redeeming value in videogames that kids play. But again, we're down to the parents, who for the most part want to complain that the game industry (or any other entertainment industry for that matter) is the fault of the emotional downfall of their child. I also suspect a lot of it is "I don't have the time to properly research whether this is good for my kid or not, so I'll just whine that it's their fault, and save myself some time."

Hudson
04-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Joe3DR said:
I'm all for enforcing the ratings system, and penalizing those who violate it. It's there for a reason!

However, uneducted remarks like the quote in the first post just go to show how generally naieve people making the rules are about the subject they're talking about.

She does have a point in that certain topics really have no socially redeeming value in videogames that kids play. But again, we're down to the parents, who for the most part want to complain that the game industry (or any other entertainment industry for that matter) is the fault of the emotional downfall of their child. I also suspect a lot of it is "I don't have the time to properly research whether this is good for my kid or not, so I'll just whine that it's their fault, and save myself some time."



EXACTLY

Most parents are lazy, and instead of going out of their way check into a game (not to mention look into exactly why their kid is messed up to begin with) they just jump on the "down with violent games/movies" bandwagon and feel they've done their part.

torso boy
04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Hudson said:

Joe3DR said:
I'm all for enforcing the ratings system, and penalizing those who violate it. It's there for a reason!

However, uneducted remarks like the quote in the first post just go to show how generally naieve people making the rules are about the subject they're talking about.

She does have a point in that certain topics really have no socially redeeming value in videogames that kids play. But again, we're down to the parents, who for the most part want to complain that the game industry (or any other entertainment industry for that matter) is the fault of the emotional downfall of their child. I also suspect a lot of it is "I don't have the time to properly research whether this is good for my kid or not, so I'll just whine that it's their fault, and save myself some time."



EXACTLY

Most parents are lazy, and instead of going out of their way check into a game (not to mention look into exactly why their kid is messed up to begin with) they just jump on the "down with violent games/movies" bandwagon and feel they've done their part.



Its not like they have to check into a game even. Just look at the damn box when your kid says "I want it". Hmmm....maybe a game rated "M for mature 17+" isn't the best game for your twelve year old to be playing, or maybe all of the guns on the cover or a name like Grand Theft Auto might tip you off.

Drazula
04-29-2005, 08:49 PM
My three year old loves Doom 3, my six year old loves Painkiller and Serious Sam. Who needs a rating system? They've got Daddy! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If they had any adverse reaction to these games, they would not be allowed to play them. And the benefit of these games is that I can clearly show them the difference between reality and "fake".

Needlesstosay, I agree with Joe...

DissidentRage
04-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I've been playing violent video games since fourth grade and I haven't had the honest urge to kill a person. Well, unless you consider the guy who "sings" for Cradle of Filth a person. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tinyted.gif

Dogy
04-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Roger said:
I've been playing violent video games since fourth grade and I haven't had the honest urge to kill a person. Well, unless you consider the guy who "sings" for Cradle of Filth a person. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tinyted.gif



Heh, I started way younger. When Duke 3D was released, I was playing it in KINDERGARTEN!

Inanimate Carbon Rod
04-29-2005, 10:00 PM
When I was 17 WalMart would not let me buy Final Fantasy 9, it is funny because FF9 was rated Teen.

Cerberus_e
04-30-2005, 04:22 AM
Roger said:
I've been playing violent video games since fourth grade and I haven't had the honest urge to kill a person. Well, unless you consider the guy who "sings" for Cradle of Filth a person. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tinyted.gif



I've been playing violent games since I was 5 years old http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
aand pay attention with your opinion towards CoF, me, Rider, and others are reading threads too you know