PDA

View Full Version : C&C

Destroyer
04-23-2005, 01:04 AM
I dont know about you guys but I being a big C&C fan was really dissipointed by generals, I mean it was a great game but it just didnt have the C&C feel to it. What do you guys think?

Duoae
04-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Yep. It was pretty dull. If you have the add-on pack it makes the game MUCH better and a little more interesting. But yeah, i would have prefered an actual C&C universe - not some rip-off of the franchises' name applied to a modern world "war sim".....

Yatta
04-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Destroyer said:
I dont know about you guys but I being a big C&C fan was really dissipointed by generals, I mean it was a great game but it just didnt have the C&C feel to it. What do you guys think?

I never played any of the older C&C games but I liked Generals. It's been over a year since I last played it, but I had a pretty good general impression over the graphics and gameplay.

Beelze
04-23-2005, 03:03 AM
I am indeed disappointed. Tiberian Sun should've been better, and after that, they should've made Tiberian Twilight and let the series rest in peace.

Cerberus_e
04-23-2005, 04:30 AM
can't wait for red alert 3.

but I hate it in red alert 1 all that broken AI, red alert 2 is much more stable.

Iggy
04-23-2005, 05:19 AM
I really enjoyed Red Alert 1 and 2, but I simply love Generals a whole lot more, especially with the add-on. To bad it seems to have a problem with my latest videocarddrivers. Due to this, I haven't played it in months. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BioHazard
04-23-2005, 05:51 AM
The only C & C I've liked so far was the original and red alert 1. Red Alert 2 was more of a tactical game involving small numbers of units, whereas I liked the tank rushes of the first, even though the multiplayer was completely unbalanced, it was still loads of fun as well.

Cerberus_e
04-23-2005, 06:49 AM
red alert 2 makes it too easy, especially with the prism tanks.
that's why i love red alert 1 more, altough they have helicopters (especially the allied helicopters) which makes it also easier http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
10 helipads = you win the mission.
the multiplayer is indeed unbalanced, soviet > allies.
that's corrected in red alert 2 but there the missions are too easy.
and skirmish sucks because the enemy never builds boats.

SyntaxN
04-23-2005, 07:23 AM
C&C Generals is no C&C imo http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Everything up to Red Alert 2 is C&C, Generals just shares parts of gameplay with them!
I hate Zero Hour compared too Generals, the original is ok for me, but some of the new very futuristic tanks, buildings etc... simply donīt fit with the overall theme http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Imfamous
04-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Generals was shit compared to the original C&C and RA... Shame Westwood will never make a game again thanks to EA.

Cerberus_e
04-23-2005, 11:58 AM
who will make red alert 3 then? as announced in the westwood newsletter

SyntaxN
04-23-2005, 12:15 PM

I think the guys from EA LA made Generals, so they will make it imo!
The problem is, most people from Westwood left EA (good), founded Petroglyph and making now another RTS-game called SW: Empire at War!

Cerberus_e
04-23-2005, 12:30 PM
it would be better if EA bought westwood, but not the red alert rights http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beelze
04-23-2005, 01:24 PM
It would've been best, though, if the people at EA had a heart.

Imfamous
04-23-2005, 02:31 PM
SyntaxN said:

I think the guys from EA LA made Generals, so they will make it imo!
The problem is, most people from Westwood left EA (good), founded Petroglyph and making now another RTS-game called SW: Empire at War!

Thanks for the headsup. I didn't know that. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm not a big fan of SW games though... Hopefully they'll come up with a new IP (after the SW game) that'll be on par with the originals.

Edit: that SW game looks ****in awesome! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I can't imagine SC2 with graphics that good.

NetNessie
04-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Red Alert 2 was my favourite of the series.

C&C Generals was a hopeless waste of such an amazing era of games. I'm not looking foward to RA3 only because EA is involved.

I still play RA2 tons, its so sad that EA took over Westwood. Now I don't expect anything good from the series.

I can't wait for 'StarWars: Empire at War' though! http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Destroyer
04-24-2005, 01:09 AM
my fav was the original C&C. and red alert 1, but I aslso like RA 2 and tiberian sun, but generals was too diff to be a C&C game. the whole resources crap, i need ore or tiberium, and the bullzoer thing was wack. Is there a way to play the original C&C on win xp?

Cerberus_e
04-24-2005, 04:11 AM
Hell March is a good song but it gets tired really fast.
maybe RA3 will come with Hell March 3 http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif since RA2 came with Hell March 2 (not a good song but whatever)

dark_angel
04-24-2005, 05:12 AM
I am eagerly awaiting the next C&C game!

Not to mention the next AOW game...

Gatinater
04-24-2005, 05:51 AM
I liked The Original. In fact if it wasn't for the original C&C I probably wouldn't have had any intrest in PC games.

But I don't like any other C&C except fo Renegade. Not Evin the first Red Alert.

Destroyer
04-24-2005, 12:31 PM
same here I got into PC games because of C&C. I use to be a console boy before that. and I played C&C demo and I totally loved it. and REd Alert had the best story and combat of any game ever made IMO. but with generals they just went with this terrorist theme, because of all that was happening around the world probably. I hate EA with passion for ruining westwood.
anyways, ive asked this before is there a way to play C&C on win xp.

pjohnsonjr
04-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Destroyer said:

Westwood was closed by this time it was released... That's why it doesn't have that feel to it. It's EA made.

Karthik
04-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Hell even the C&C font was raped by EA for Generals. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif EA only knows how to satisfy its shareholder but not its customer.
If there's one way to wake EA up is to tell everyone to buy Act of War: Direct Action. Now that is how C&C Generals should have been like. The sales figure of Direct Action will send a message to EA that FMVs are not dead.
Interface. Who's ****in idea was it to replace out the sidebar with Starcraft's bottom bar?! And adding peons to build buildings?! It's obvious that EA prefered to clone Blizzard rather than to keep it C&C. I'd prefer to have RA2's building interface.

pjohnsonjr
04-24-2005, 08:24 PM
He who hold the IP holds the power of Pandora's box.

EA is unoriginal, they borrow alot. If they are threatened by a competitor they buy the competitor out or buy an exclusive license with the material the game is about. The day EA bought Westwood, they assumed all assets and thus when they shut Westwood down, they got rights to all the games IP, down to the fonts, licenses, images, stories, engines, structures, units and teams (GDI and NOD, etc.).

I agree with you on the output, it's much too like starcraft to call it a C&C game. What killed worse was the fact the soul of the game was killed the day Westwood closed. Origin Systems soul was taken out when Richard Garriott left. EA destroys the companies for the IP, but the IP sells because of the consumer knowledge of the product, yet loses out when played because it has no soul, nothing that makes it what the IP is known for.

Destroyer
04-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Karthik said:
Hell even the C&C font was raped by EA for Generals. http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif EA only knows how to satisfy its shareholder but not its customer.
If there's one way to wake EA up is to tell everyone to buy Act of War: Direct Action. Now that is how C&C Generals should have been like. The sales figure of Direct Action will send a message to EA that FMVs are not dead.
Interface. Who's ****in idea was it to replace out the sidebar with Starcraft's bottom bar?! And adding peons to build buildings?! It's obvious that EA prefered to clone Blizzard rather than to keep it C&C. I'd prefer to have RA2's building interface.

totally agreed. EA just tried to make a starcrat ripoff. I mean I never thought they would ever get rid of the construction yard in C&C game. and never thought they would ever replace ore or tiberium with anything. as soon as you do that its not C&C.

Viper Knight
04-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Destroyer said:

Command & Conquer Generals is NOT Command & Conquer. Simple as that.

pjohnsonjr
04-25-2005, 12:55 AM
It's EA using the name of C&C which they acquired by purchasing Westwood to sell a imitation star craft.

Viper Knight
04-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Beelze said:
I am indeed disappointed. Tiberian Sun should've been better, and after that, they should've made Tiberian Twilight and let the series rest in peace.

Yes. Tiberian Sun could have been so much more than it was. It had some big name actors in it (eg. James Earl Jones), some excellent gameplay ideas and stuff, but EA probably made Westwood rush it out the door. It's clear, particularly by playing and finishing the final missions, that the game wasn't properly done.

It's a pity because it was in development for a long time, it was even being worked on before the original C&C was released I believe. And obviously they made Red Alert so they could continue to fund and take their time with Tiberian Sun. But when Virgin Interactive was pushed aside as Westwood's long-time publisher and EA took control, well that is when things started to go downhill I believe.

Cerberus_e
04-25-2005, 04:50 AM
how come we don't have a red alert each year now?

pjohnsonjr
04-25-2005, 05:33 AM
Because out of everything EA produces it's a smaller fraction than everything else. Madden sells more than C&C did, The Sims sells more than C&C did... It's all about what's going to make the most money for EA. To them it's "why devote time to something that won't make as much money as this other product would..."

EA sits on the IP because if someone else wants to do it, they make money off of it or if they want to make another one they make the money off of it... But I really doubt we'll see another one unless a massive spark of interest builds up. But even then it's not going to be the same C&C everyone liked.

Joe Siegler
04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Destroyer said:

Isn't there another Red Alert game under production?

Cerberus_e
04-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Joe3DR said:

Destroyer said:

Isn't there another Red Alert game under production?

yes, like it is already been said a couple of times in this thread.
I am seriously wondering what EA will make out of it, a first person shooter, mission objective: guide tanya to the tech center, but first cut off their power, or else the tesla coils will kill tanya. the elvel would look like the swamp level of far cry

Tang Lung
04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
First game is the best strategy I've ever played (and by far one of the best games I've ever played). I liked RA and TibSun, and generals was really fun and entertaining t play..but none of them compared to the simple brilliance of C&C. Empire at War looks totally kickass though.

Nacho
04-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Has anyone seen the concept art for C&C: Tiberian Twilight when Westwood was still in charge?

It looked nice.