3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non 3DR Game Discussion (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The steam store thread (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34791)

Paroxysm 01-15-2010 10:15 PM

Re: The steam store thread

Great game. Bought

Orochi Avlis 01-15-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micki! (Post 912232)
I got AVP...

Seriously, i hope they add multiplayer support for it, that would be so awesome..!

It's coming.
They said they would patch it in later.

Morbid 01-16-2010 09:29 AM

hmm wait a tick. This army guy in the monitors in the beginning... he wasn't there in the original was he? and flares weren't infinite iirc... damn did they mess it up or what?

Orochi Avlis 01-16-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbid (Post 912300)
hmm wait a tick. This army guy in the monitors in the beginning... he wasn't there in the original was he? and flares weren't infinite iirc... damn did they mess it up or what?

It's the exact same.
The guy was in the original and you can only use 4 flares at a time, just like the original. Once one burns out, you can throw another.

Morbid 01-16-2010 07:21 PM

strange I don't remember this guy... but anyway thx for the reassurement, I needed that!

8IronBob 01-17-2010 07:21 PM

Decided to put down a preorder on Mass Effect 2 Deluxe, hope I get my $60 out of this game.

peoplessi 01-19-2010 11:50 AM

I bet you will, if you enjoyed the first one. I too have ordered the CE - for the "making of" extra.

8IronBob 01-19-2010 07:40 PM

Bah, cancel that idea about the Steam preorder, went and preordered a physical collector's edition from Newegg instead. I kinda think that having a physical copy of a big-name game is usually better, and probably save Steam for DLCs and addons and stuff like that. At least Newegg has better free shipping than Amazon, usually, so could be almost as much worth it to have all the goodies along with the game, on top of that.

Morbid 01-19-2010 10:09 PM

Yep that's a good point. I was thinking that myself lately. Because with so many games that everyone has on Steam, what happens in a scenario where Steam does not exist anymore? Will we be able to play them 20 years later or something? Considering that DVD-R's and the likes are more sensitive and that their material ages faster, burning the games is not really ensuring. Are we screwed in the long run?

MegaMustaine 01-19-2010 10:20 PM

Steam isn't going anywhere. Everything will be digital distribution soon enough.

Sang 01-20-2010 11:40 AM

But it's digital slavery, are we just to sit by while Steam strips us of our liberties? :mad:

:p

8IronBob 01-20-2010 04:14 PM

Well, the reason I went with the DVD Collector's Edition was for the bonus art books, figurines, whatever...Steam just doesn't offer any of that, since it's all digital, obviously. Amazon and Newegg just had some good kickers to make that $10 extra really worth it, unlike Steam, where you just get some bonuses that really hardly made it feel like a collector's edition.

However, I still feel that Steam's usually best for getting addons/DLCs for ME2, as I said, which is probably what I'm looking at doing, if it comes to that.

Sang 01-21-2010 11:31 AM

So how the hell does Steam offline mode work? I sometimes get a notice to start Steam offline when I'm not connected to the internet, but now that I'm actually purposely trying it I get no such notice and Steam won't start up at all (all I get is an old version of the "Updating Steam" dialog box but it never starts up).

8IronBob 01-21-2010 03:29 PM

I dunno, but I just got Mass Effect 1 off of Steam, if that's any consolation for not getting ME2 from Steam. At least now I have both ME1 (through Steam...physical DVD-ROM format seems to be discontinued) and ME2 (pending after DVD-ROM Collector Edition releases and ships) in two different formats.

Sang 01-21-2010 03:55 PM

^^ Update on that last thing, apparently it just takes about 30 minutes (;)) for Steam to recognize that I'm not connected to the internet.

Delicieuxz 01-21-2010 05:27 PM

Weird. And you probably know, but when you're online you can choose to set Steam to start in offline mode by going File > Go Offline.

Sang 01-21-2010 06:25 PM

No kidding? Cool.

Rellik66 01-22-2010 12:32 AM

yup.

If you plan on going offline frequently, then this might be useful

Sang 01-22-2010 11:42 AM

Well no, the problem is I exceeded my datalimit and now if I use Steam online, it takes forever for games to start up (no idea why). When I try it in offline mode though they start up instantly which is neat.

Waiter 01-22-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbid (Post 912909)
Will we be able to play them 20 years later or something? Considering that DVD-R's and the likes are more sensitive and that their material ages faster, burning the games is not really ensuring. Are we screwed in the long run?

Screwed or not, I have 20 years old games on 5" floppy discs. If I wanted to play them, the easiest way would probably be to buy the "100 games of the 80's that some people actually still remember" on DVD for €2,50. Or something like that.

The Stinger 01-22-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sang (Post 913373)
Well no, the problem is I exceeded my datalimit and now if I use Steam online, it takes forever for games to start up (no idea why). When I try it in offline mode though they start up instantly which is neat.

Then your ISP might have set you Internet speed to 56k standards, and that might be why it's that slow.

Sang 01-23-2010 08:27 AM

Yeah I know they put me on slower speeds when I cross my datalimit, I just mean I don't know why it should make games (mods, even) start up slower. How much data gets transferred everytime you start up a game on Steam?

peoplessi 01-23-2010 12:14 PM

Not that much, have you defragmented the gamefiles?

Sang 01-23-2010 12:30 PM

Noes, but I finished playing the mod(s) anyway so doesn't matter now.

Orochi Avlis 01-26-2010 12:55 PM

Psychonauts is 2 bucks on Steam.

Delicieuxz 01-26-2010 05:49 PM

Nice, I've always wanted to try that!

Paroxysm 01-26-2010 07:10 PM

I already own several copies... one more won't hurt.

MegaMustaine 01-27-2010 06:11 PM

Bought Psychonauts. It is okay, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Paroxysm 01-27-2010 08:50 PM

Wait till later in the game.

MegaMustaine 01-27-2010 11:55 PM

I'll check back in later then. So far, it is definitely unique and well worth the $2. I guess I am just expecting a lot with cult like status of the game.

Paroxysm 01-28-2010 02:11 AM

It's praises are often sung too highly but it is very good.

Delicieuxz 01-28-2010 02:55 AM

Does anyone have the Steam edition of Gothic II? I'm wondering if you can play the game both with the expansion installed and without, since the whole game's balancing and therefore experience is quite different in both cases.

Sang 01-29-2010 11:12 AM

Seems like Valve cocked something up because I can't connect to any servers in TF2/L4D2/CSS... I couldn't see servers in TF2 at first either but this is solved by editing the MasterServers.vdf file. Can't connect to any though,

In TF2 and CSS it's stuck at "Parsing Game Info", in L4D2 it keeps loading indefinitely.

Tried reinstalling those games, didn't work, removing ClientRegistry.blob didn't work, verify integrity of files and defragging didn't work so I dunno. Now I'm making a backup of my SteamApps folder and gonna reinstall Steam. If that doesn't fix it then **** if I know.

ZuljinRaynor 01-29-2010 12:42 PM

X-Com Complete Pack is $2.

This is a complete steal because X-Com UFO Defense/Terror from the Deep are the best game(s) ever made. The other ones, not so good though Apoc is okay.

8IronBob 01-29-2010 04:20 PM

Huh...$2 for the whole thing, whilst each individual game is $5 a pop...wow, what a steal is right.
I'm gonna bet that's a type-oh on someone's part. Needless to say, unless someone squeals on this, I'm in.

ZuljinRaynor 01-29-2010 04:22 PM

The games are $5 normally and the bundle is $15. It's only the bundle that's on sale so it's not a typo.

8IronBob 01-29-2010 04:25 PM

All right, bought that combo. Will give the games a whirl over the weekend.

Phayzon 01-29-2010 04:53 PM

I played the demo of X-COM Interceptor before (was on the MechCommander disk I think). Guess Ill grab all of them for $2 then :p

Paroxysm 01-29-2010 05:32 PM

Got both freedom force and x-com packs. Just borrowed the disks from a friend when I was younger so... better late than never!

Sang 01-29-2010 06:19 PM

Burgh finally got around to downloading GTA4 and now it gives me "This game is currently unavailable". :(

edit: OH AWESOME did Verify Integrity and it was like "390 files couldn't be verified and will be reacquired" and then it basically set everything back to 0% so now I have to download the whole thing even though my GTA4 dir is 15 GB. If I use the launcher it prompts me to activate but apparently it can't do that so it's all like "try manual activation" where I need to give in my serial key but it won't recognize it sooooooooooooooo bugger

my dick: =====D"GTAIV's mouth" :p

Guess I'm gonna go play more Borderlands which has been consistenly working ànd fun!