3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non 3DR Game Discussion (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The steam store thread (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34791)

Delicieuxz 02-02-2010 11:59 AM

Re: The steam store thread

Titan Quest Gold is on sale for $5

Delicieuxz 03-23-2010 08:10 PM

Left 4 Dead 2 is 50% off until Thurs.

8IronBob 03-27-2010 09:16 AM

I can see that a Beta of a game called R.U.S.E. showed up on my list, and tells me I have 10 days to download and play it. I'm still curious about what type of game this is. Downloading a trailer, hoping that Steam will have something before deciding if the demo beta is worth the time. Not gonna be available until near summer, huh? Wow...well, can't be too sure if a beta in this stage would be all that stable. Trying to find an E3 video of this somewhere.

Morbid 04-01-2010 06:07 PM

Borderlands 50%. Nice price for a great game. (best game since many years imo)

Delicieuxz 04-13-2010 04:51 PM

I just posted this on the Steam forums. When did they switch over to this moronic policy?

-----------------------------------------------------

You already own... You will not receive extra copies of these items when you complete

So I'm looking at purchasing the Commandos Collection, which is on sale for $4.99. Since I already own Commandos 2, I figured I would gift the 2nd copy I receive to someone. However, as I'm about to finalize the transaction, I see a message that says:

Quote:

Note: You already own the following items in "Commandos Pack". You will not receive extra copies of these items when you complete this purchase:

Commandos 2: Men of Courage
What the hell is up with this? If I purchase the Commandos Pack, you'd better give me the god dam Commandos Pack, and that means all of it. If I already have a copy of the game then I'll choose to gift it to somebody. The deal on Steam says that it's $4.99 for the complete pack, which includes Commandos 2. That's what's offered, and that's what I want.

If you're gonna be an indian giver, Steam, then f-u. I'm not going to purchase from you. Either fulfill the transaction as it is offered, or there will be no transaction. Don't pass me bull♥♥♥♥♥ about modifying the deal for me in a way that I receive less than everybody else while paying the same price simply because I already own one of the items in the package.

If I go to the store and buy a box of cereal, then buy a value-pack that contains the same type of cereal, the checkout person doesn't say to me "even though you're paying for it, you won't receive that one because you already have one of them."
I paid for it, therefore I get it. How can you even try to pass this idiocy on us, Valve? Are you a group of idiots, Valve? If not, then don't act like one. If you do act like one, then that's what you are, and you need to get your s**t together.

Paroxysm 04-13-2010 05:13 PM

Nothing to do with Valve as it's publishers policy. Valve's own games will give you extra copies but almost no one else will though. It's a policy I'd like to see publishers change though as it's stopped me buying several pack deals but just like region pricing, region restrictions and extra drm I wouldn't be holding out for the major publishers to wise the **** up.

Duke's New Chainsaw 04-13-2010 05:29 PM

Only one man can save you now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/...5/babtrix2.png

Delicieuxz 04-13-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paroxysm (Post 923873)
Nothing to do with Valve as it's publishers policy. Valve's own games will give you extra copies but almost no one else will though. It's a policy I'd like to see publishers change though as it's stopped me buying several pack deals but just like region pricing, region restrictions and extra drm I wouldn't be holding out for the major publishers to wise the **** up.

I think it's a serious error which is not legal.
The deal offered on Steam is game licenses to all 4 Commandos games in one pack for $4.99. When it says "You will not receive extra copies of these items," "copies" is an undefined term, which is undoubtedly intentional by Steam. Steam does two things: resell licenses and digital distribution of software. When you conduct that purchase, you still bought 4 licenses, including another license to the game you already had. Steam is arbitrarily not allowing you to redeem that license through their service. Presumably, you could legally make use of it through other means.

That's not the only hole in Steam's User Agreement. It also claims that licenses are non-transferable. This doesn't mean what it sounds like at all. Steam doesn't own the licenses once it sell them to you. They are, after all, your legally owned licenses. It's not up to Steam to say whether you can then sell them to another person or not, because it's your property, not theirs. What Steam's policy of non-transferable licenses actually means to say is that Steam won't use their application software and download service to recognize any transfer between Steam members - which is Steam's right. But the licenses themselves, once sold, are not Steam's to say what can happen to them.

I've noticed a few spots in which Steam is clearly making up its own rules, not backed by law, reason, or position of authority. I think if someone ever wanted to confront them against certain policies in court, maybe with a class action, they'd be forced to re-define their Agreement and tweak their service.

Paroxysm 04-13-2010 09:02 PM

It will probably need someone to stand up and challange them. I'd support it because although I love using steam issues like this do need to be addressed.

Jiminator 04-13-2010 11:03 PM

not legal?
based on what? you being more familiar with the law then their lawyers?
Its like this. If you are a corporation and you want to do something....

they tell you to run it by legal

if they approve, you are good. contracts, disclaimers, terms of service, they craft all that stuff.

Today's software is no longer sold, it is licensed. The license dictates what can or cannot be done with the software. You can opt out by not purchasing a license. It is the same way microsoft says oem software can only be installed on one computer. Certainly people get around that but others don't.

Delicieuxz 04-14-2010 02:11 AM

You need to read the post again. I suspect it would be not legal because, regardless of what Steam delivers, a license was bought. I can gift that game to my own email address and there will be no warning that I will not receive one of the games in the package. All 4 licenses will have been purchased. For it to then not be delivered is Steam failing to fulfill the transaction and deliver something which is now the buyer's property: a license. That is why it would not be legal, because it is paramount to Stealing.

A ToS is not law. Disclaimers, ToS, User Agreements... they can all be in contravention of law. Steam's User Agreement has taken liberties which would be thrown out in court.

Apart from that, the license agreements for the individual games I've bought through Steam are not between me and Steam, they're between me and the specific games' developer/publisher. Using Steam's delivery service involves an agreement between me and Steam, but there is nothing Steam can to do revoke the game licenses I've acquired through them. If Steam says licenses are non-transferable, a statement not based in legal authority, then, as I said:

Quote:

what Steam's policy of non-transferable licenses actually means to say is that Steam won't use their application software and download service to recognize any transfer between Steam members - which is Steam's right. But the licenses themselves, once sold, are not Steam's to say what can happen to them.
And no, being a corporation and having a team of lawyers is not a sign of legal righteousness. God, no.

thefly 04-14-2010 04:04 PM

Hmm....well apparently the last thing I did last night before passing out from massive amounts of tequila was to pre-purchase "Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter."

Yea?

MegaMustaine 04-14-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefly (Post 923957)
Hmm....well apparently the last thing I did last night before passing out from massive amounts of tequila was to pre-purchase "Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter."

Yea?

It is nice to see that you are not like the rest of the population who does stupid stuff when they are drunk. Instead you purchase a wonderful game with new HD visuals. :D

Damien_Azreal 04-14-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaMustaine (Post 923967)
It is nice to see that you are not like the rest of the population who does stupid stuff when they are drunk. Instead you purchase a wonderful game with new HD visuals. :D

Agreed. :D

I pre-purchased Serious Sam: HD: The Second Encounter as well. :) Looking forward the 28th... love SS.

8IronBob 04-14-2010 07:01 PM

Yep, I'll place my bet on SS:HD very soon, I have a hunch.

KO Gilligan 04-26-2010 06:51 PM

The Rockstar Collection on Steam $42.49

Seems to be a pretty nice deal

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4247/

Vroomfondel 04-27-2010 01:46 PM

Re: The Rockstar Collection on Steam $42.49

Not available in my country :mad:

Paroxysm 04-27-2010 08:54 PM

Re: The Rockstar Collection on Steam $42.49

Get someone in the US to buy it for you. (They can pay with paypal so just paypal them funds and then they gift it to you).

There used to be a easy credit card trick to purchase out of region software but seems Valve closed that hole.

Delicieuxz 04-30-2010 04:57 AM

Killer weekend deal, if you're a fan of Codemasters racing games. 75% off their racing pack, which includes Toca Race Driver 3, DiRT, DiRT 2, GRID, and Fuel, all for $17.50.

KO Gilligan 04-30-2010 10:21 AM

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/603/

Max Payne 1 and 2 for $3.74

Sorry, just noticed it.... only about 2 hours left on the deal

TBZ 05-05-2010 02:50 PM

If you pre-order Amnesia: The Dark Descent in the Frictional Games store before May 11th, you get a 50% discount. You'll be able to activate the game on Steam on release, for those who want to.

News here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3283.html

It's by the guys who made the Penumbra games, so if you liked those games, check it out.

KO Gilligan 05-12-2010 04:00 PM

Portal is free on Steam until the 24th of May

There is now a version for the Mac too !

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

http://i44.tinypic.com/mwf6o4.jpg

:nelson:

Jiminator 05-14-2010 12:37 AM

Not steam, but still an awesome deal

battlefield:Bad company 2

Frys sale, $25 + $2 shipping
http://www.frys.com/product/6157019

most fun I have had in multiplayer in years

Delicieuxz 05-23-2010 04:31 AM

Hell yes!

SEGA Bringing Classics to PC via Steam, Others

Thief 05-23-2010 10:49 AM

Awesome! Golden Axe & Altered Beast - mine.

Phayzon 05-23-2010 01:03 PM

Wonder if they're putting up all 3 Golden Axe games? :love:

fast-1 05-24-2010 01:20 PM

Streets of rage multi player ?

MegaMustaine 05-24-2010 08:15 PM

Fear for $9.99 with all the expansions! Great deal!

Delicieuxz 06-02-2010 01:52 AM

The first of the SEGA classics sets is out, too pricey tho. $3 each, and to but them all in one pack costs $2 than to buy them all separately. They should be $2 each, and the pack of 11 should cost $15. Definitely waiting for a sale or inevitable price-drop on these.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4391/

Steve 06-02-2010 03:49 AM

What puzzles me is that there are no good sonic games. Sonic 3D? Really? GTFO.

Paroxysm 06-02-2010 04:47 AM

Comix Zone is the only game worth a shit. But it's worth a big one :)

ZuljinRaynor 06-02-2010 05:20 AM

Vectorman is awesome.

Steve 06-02-2010 05:28 AM

Vectorman is indeed the shit :cool:

fast-1 06-02-2010 10:12 AM

Flashback should be on that list. Right :)

Phayzon 06-02-2010 11:25 AM

I love Golden Axe, but I'll probably wait to see if they put up all 3 and do a package deal on that (although 2 was an absolute shitpile of a game).

Thief 06-02-2010 02:50 PM

Anyone pick up one of the Sega Classics yet?...I'm just curious how they're supposed to run...through some sort of emulator, or double-click and they magically work on today's hardware??

BTW, Altered Beast > all else. POWER UP!!! So screw you guys! (even though I haven't played Vectorman or Comix Zone :p)

Paroxysm 06-02-2010 03:06 PM

Have you played Altered Beast since you were a kid? We load it up at parties now and then for a laugh because it's hilariously ugly, hilariously easy, hilariously terrible and hilariously homoerotic.

Thief 06-02-2010 03:45 PM

I probably play it once a year...the days I go to my cousin's place, one of the first things I do is track down his Sega, dust it off and pop in Altered Beast. T'was the first game I played on Sega and I thought (and still do think) it was awesome! Kick ass music, and I remember it scaring me as a child. Ugly? Ehhh..., easy, yep...hilariously terrible? No...hilariously AWESOME! And yeah...fully agree on the homoerotic, but all I can say is.....

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Steve 06-02-2010 04:00 PM

Rise from awesomeness :cool:

fast-1 06-02-2010 04:05 PM

Power up.