3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non 3DR Game Discussion (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The steam store thread (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34791)

Sang 07-31-2012 04:43 AM

Re: The steam store thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rellik66 (Post 958906)
If you like anything by Trent Reznor, then yeah, you will want the sound track.

FYI Quake 2's soundtrack has nothing to do with Trent Reznor (it's by Sonic Mayhem), only Quake 1's soundtrack does.

Damien_Azreal 07-31-2012 07:23 AM

Yeah, Reznor did Quake's soudntrack. And personally, other then the menu music... I think his "treatment" is pretty boring.

Waiter 08-05-2012 08:11 AM

Just saw the ad for Dark Souls. Never heard of before, but it seems to be a great game ... at least on the Playstation.

Sadly, for some incomprehensible reason, they have decided to ruin yet another great game by adding Games for Windows Live to it. Despite Steam release. Given my experiences with that crap so far, this may be a dealbreaker for an otherwise very interesting game.

:(

8IronBob 08-05-2012 12:54 PM

Yeah, I'm not exactly a fan of GFWL, although I was an Xbox Live member for some time, which does tie into GFWL, but I just feel that it adds more bloat, and less privacy to PC gaming if you do that. I'd much rather play without all the DRM or that "big brother" effect on my gaming and PC habits in general.

Waiter 08-06-2012 06:43 AM

I was just incredibly annoyed with it in GTA4. Whenever I play a game on Steam, I don't even have to be aware that Steam is running, but being forced to log onto GFWL to even be able to save the game and get all kinds of pupup crap that gives the game a frame that just ruins the game atmosphere ... meh, mayhaps that's changed but I don't see the point as Steam already has a DRM as good as anyone and that doesn't annoy me everytime I want to play the game.

8IronBob 08-06-2012 01:42 PM

That's one reason why Saints Row The Third was better than GTA IV, you don't have all that bloat, and the graphics and gameplay are at least as good as GTA4's in that game. But, enough about this, let's get back on the topic of game deals we find on Steam.

Looks like there's a great deal on the Fallout franchise. I've always wanted to get into their games, but always felt a bit hesitant about doing so. Maybe now I might jump off the fence and into some good action with this. We shall see how well these games are/were.

Thief 08-06-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8IronBob (Post 959010)
Looks like there's a great deal on the Fallout franchise. I've always wanted to get into their games, but always felt a bit hesitant about doing so. Maybe now I might jump off the fence and into some good action with this. We shall see how well these games are/were.

I think it all boils down to whether or not you can stomach turn-based RPGs. I tried Fallout a couple years back and put a decent amount of time into it...enough to notice its quality, but the turn-based everything left a bad taste in my mouth every time I thought of playing it and I eventually ditched it. Never played, nor had any interest in turn-based RPGs in the past so it's no surprise really.

Kalki 08-18-2012 10:18 AM

Alan Wake & DLCs are 75% off on steam.

I bought the "Alan Wake Franchise" for $9.99, which makes this is a poor choice of title for a game pack.

dan2091 08-19-2012 11:05 AM

Yep... Terrible title, but the deal is a steal. I bought it on the Summer Sale. Finished the main story but I have yet to start the DLC's :p.

Kit 08-20-2012 04:28 AM

Has anyone jumped on the Counter Strike Go deal yet?

KO Gilligan 08-20-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit (Post 959170)
Has anyone jumped on the Counter Strike Go deal yet?

Not yet, but I certainly might. Looks fun, and I already see a few of my fellow Duke Players in my Steam friend list are going to be there.

X-Vector 11-26-2012 05:20 AM

Today's the last day of the Steam autumn sale.

Got me Deus Ex GOTY, Invisible War, Human Revolution Augmented Edition and the Missing Link DLC for a little over €20 total, so I guess I'm DX complete now (except for the nickel-and-dime DLC nonsense).

Morbid 11-26-2012 06:53 AM

Nice. I got Torchlight and Q.U.B.E for a little over 6€. Let's hope QUBE is decent.

Thief 11-27-2012 05:05 PM

Went indie crazy, myself. Picked up They Bleed Pixels, Cargo Commander, BEEP, Mark of the Ninja, Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise, and the not-so-indie Ninja Blade.

X-Vector 11-28-2012 07:33 AM

There's a Steam special on the Witcher games with some eight hours left, thinking about going for it.

The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut: 1,99.
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition: 7,49.

KO Gilligan 11-28-2012 08:20 AM

That Witcher2 Deal is killing me - holding off for GOG sale someday....

ZuljinRaynor 11-28-2012 04:40 PM

You get a GOG copy if you buy on Steam. After you register the game, it shows up on your GOG account.

KO Gilligan 11-29-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor (Post 959968)
You get a GOG copy if you buy on Steam. After you register the game, it shows up on your GOG account.

Dammit - I almost bought it too:

Quote:

Note: One or more the items below have changed in price since you added it to your cart.
It's $30 now. :doh:

I can always pick it up cheap on Amazon

X-Vector 11-29-2012 03:44 AM

I couldn't resist getting both games for a little under 10 total.

The first Witcher runs like the smoothest butter ever, has a really nice atmosphere and has been fun to play so far, despite being a lot less open-world than the Elder Scrolls titles.
Now I have to find a way to get these glowing green dogs (Barghest) at the start of chapter I off my back; I didn't expect such a large difficulty spike after the prologue, but perhaps installing the Flash mod has something to do with it.

KO Gilligan 12-01-2012 09:10 AM

I have a second account with just a few games which I created for the kids and for games that I have a second copy for multiplayer at home.

But that account shows i have preloaded the games I have loaded for the other account

Why can't I just see the games in my Library which I actually own for each account when I'm in each account?

maybe I just don't understand what I'm looking at....

arghhh

ZuljinRaynor 12-01-2012 12:07 PM

Because the game files are on your computer.

You can create categories, so create a category for the games you want to only be shown and then from the dropdown instead of All Games set it to your category.

KO Gilligan 12-02-2012 12:40 PM

Thanks... Noted

It's not Steams fault they try to sell me the game that's already in my computer as many times as I want to pay for it :p

Morbid 12-03-2012 07:19 PM

What you want to do is now possible I think with the new client update. Check settings-> download+cloud->steam library folders

KO Gilligan 12-04-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbid (Post 960047)
What you want to do is now possible I think with the new client update. Check settings-> download+cloud->steam library folders

Yep - thanks Morbid
The folder option/button wasn't there until I updated the Steam client.
Now I have to figure out how to use it...

8IronBob 12-08-2012 08:03 PM

I'm not sure if it was just me, or do you think that new "Big Picture" interface was trying to copycat the Windows 8 idea?

KO Gilligan 12-08-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8IronBob (Post 960172)
I'm not sure if it was just me, or do you think that new "Big Picture" interface was trying to copycat the Windows 8 idea?

Certainly.

This is supposed to be for a more friendly environment for smaller devices.

I personally have no desire to play Steam games on a 20cm HD screen :insomnia: but it's obviously the direction everthing is going.

I wonder if anyone has invented a device that holds your iphone just inches from your nose.

Damien_Azreal 12-08-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8IronBob (Post 960172)

Considering Win8 isn't the first interface to use that setup.... no.

KO Gilligan 12-08-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal (Post 960178)
Considering Win8 isn't the first interface to use that setup.... no.

I dunno, have you seen it? I'm going with "copycat" on this one :D

Damien_Azreal 12-09-2012 12:06 AM

Yes, I've seen it. And it looks hideous... but...it looks like just about most other smart phone/tablet interfaces.
It may be a copycat, but since Windows 8 is copying other such interfaces it's a 'tad' off to say Steam is copying Win8.

KO Gilligan 12-09-2012 12:37 AM

Bought my daughter an Android tablet. I'll get to see in a couple weeks what this new ice cream operating system is like. The other tablet we have is old and nothing like any new devices. - Scored a dual core 1.6Ghz for under $150. Added the screen crack drop protection for $15

ZuljinRaynor 12-09-2012 12:31 PM

Holy crap, it's like you guys have never seen an Xbox 360 before. Or as PS3. Or a Wii. Or anything that's hooked up to a TV screen and has large icons or text in some capacity.

And KO, I hope you are being sarcastic or something by saying it's for small devices. It's not. It's for your living room. Guess you never used or even seen Windows Media Center?

This is for using on a TV. A big screen.

KO Gilligan 12-09-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor (Post 960207)
Holy crap, it's like you guys have never seen an Xbox 360 before. Or as PS3. Or a Wii. Or anything that's hooked up to a TV screen and has large icons or text in some capacity.

And KO, I hope you are being sarcastic or something by saying it's for small devices. It's not. It's for your living room. Guess you never used or even seen Windows Media Center?

This is for using on a TV. A big screen.

Not for my big TV.

I have zero interest in XBox gaming. The Wii interface is large icons but that's where the similarities end.

My internet/BluRay player on the bedroom TV has a large icon interface that kicks Win8's ass. Then again I don't want bing weather shopping on my TV.

I have a PC hooked to a 55 inch TV, and I'm use to the regular Steam interface when I game on it - Big Picture would totally suck in comparison. I went there just now to see my library and I tested the other controls pretty thorougly... it's only 99 games, but it's a total joke on that interface. Even picking the one I want to play is a major chore, and forget about getting to the informational stuff.

But on a small laptop... Steam Big Picture would rock. Just thinking about my Steam Library on a 15" or smaller screen makes my eyes hurt. I'm going with that's what they have in mind in addition to the controller issue. Afterall, if all they wanted is to make it controller friendly, we could do without making everything so gigantic in size. Microsoft has made it very clear that big blocky icons are for smaller screens - Steam Big Picture is great for Notebooks and Tablets, and by design, it actually works with game controllers - the only reason it's made for a TV.

So perhaps you have other ideas. But both Big Picture, and the Win 8 Start Screen interface, is ideal for small screens.

... and for the record, game controllers are gimp. Mouse Aim, flight Stick, Driving Wheel... those are actual controllers. :)

Windows Media Center... it's not MY media center. I equate Windows Media Center to HP Easy Care. :dopefish:

And speaking of HP, check out the new HP Driver page. They copied Windows 8 and they make a point of that intention right on the page. The look is identical. Steam is not "identical", but I consider the latest craze for everything to be going slate gray with blocky icons and accomodating tablets and notebooks to be Windows 8 driven... perhaps not copycat, but the timing of the transition is inspired.

ZuljinRaynor 12-09-2012 03:16 PM

You leave me speechless. Not in a good way, though, as I sit here shaking my head.

It is Big Picture Mode. It is for the living room. That was their goal. Nothing about it is for small screens or tablets. It is about looking at a 58" TV from your couch that is 12 feet away.

It isn't for everyone but this is what they wanted to do. Not tablets.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

http://www.steampowered.com/steamwor...bigpicture.php

Quote:

They’ve got the big screen,
now give them the big picture.
It’s time to come out of the den and explore a few more rooms of the house.

Heading to the living room—or anywhere there’s a big screen—is Steam’s soon-to-be-released big-picture mode, offering simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV. With full controller support, big-picture mode will let gamers kick back and enjoy their favorite games on the biggest screen in the house.

Pansa 12-09-2012 04:42 PM

These interfaces all look a like because controller input and touchscreen input both have similiar demands towards the screenspace and the respective field of view the screen takes up.

So if you are sitting comfortably close to your window sized tv, and use mouse keyboard as input, big-picture mode isn't FOR you.
Neither is the windows 8 stuff.

These interfaces are what at the core is "needed" if you have broad input, and relatively small field of view. It's the reason why "console games" have huge fonts. why on screen information needs to be big and flashy instead of subtle.

But interestingly Killian: Didn't we JUST have a debate about personal preferences and the need to explicetly state them to avoid misinterpretation?
Just because you don't see the use for "big-picture" mode as "for the big screen", doesn't make it a handheld mode :P

ZuljinRaynor 12-09-2012 04:46 PM

Huge fonts are nice though even on games on a monitor close up. Some games have really small fonts and it is hard and annoying to read.

It would be nice if games gave you more font size customization.

KO Gilligan 12-09-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor (Post 960221)
You leave me speechless. Not in a good way, though, as I sit here shaking my head.

It is Big Picture Mode. It is for the living room. That was their goal. Nothing about it is for small screens or tablets. It is about looking at a 58" TV from your couch that is 12 feet away.

It isn't for everyone but this is what they wanted to do. Not tablets.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

http://www.steampowered.com/steamwor...bigpicture.php

Nice job trimming up the quote to make it seem that they weren't emphasizing that it's made for using a controller. It features an alphabet daisywheel for controllers, and even a controller based web browser. Doesn't take a genius to realize that this type of navigation, along with big blocky icons, would also be good for small screens - especially if you're not using a mouse...

Nonetheless, I can see and navigate the old interface great, and I use a keyboard mouse on my media center. I have absolutely no advantage with this new interface on my big screen.

The previews were very clear about this interface and the controller all along. It mimmicks those internet streaming devices which navigate with a few buttons.

But I'm shaking my head too. Why are you so adverse of the fact that this streamline, big block interface would be good for small screens too? How about small screens where your not using a mouse?

I guess I did forget to mention that they are not going to breath a word about smaller devices until at least a few of them can run some Steam games... Still be interesting if Windows tablet owners immediately start using the Steam web browser and Daisywheel.

Pansa 12-09-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor (Post 960226)
Huge fonts are nice though even on games on a monitor close up. Some games have really small fonts and it is hard and annoying to read.

It would be nice if games gave you more font size customization.

Meh, it really depends on your reading speed imho.
I can't stand having to click several times to read a paragraph. It's the reason why everything needs to be voiced nowadays.
I don't need glasses, I read smallprint books. Don't make me scroll or flip pages if I could readily read it on one page :/

But it can't be overstated how specific these things are for each individual setup.
Options are nice, but customisability gets shuned for controll. People are so trained to "get it their way" that they rarely appreciate the result of the additional effort, either on the dev sie nor the consumer side.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by KO Gilligan (Post 960232)
Nonetheless, I can see and navigate the old interface great, and I use a keyboard mouse on my media center. I have absolutely no advantage with this new interface on my big screen.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/24/
Quote:

Nice job trimming up the quote to make it seem that they weren't emphasizing that it's made for using a controller. It features an alphabet daisywheel for controllers, and even a controller based web browser. Doesn't take a genius to realize that this type of navigation, along with big blocky icons, would also be good for small screens - especially if you're not using a mouse...

The previews were very clear about this interface and the controller all along. It mimmicks those internet streaming devices which navigate with a few buttons.
Yes, that's the point.
This is how "most" people game in their living room.... on a big screen....
Quote:

But I'm shaking my head too. Why are you so adverse of the fact that this streamline, big block interface would be good for small screens too? How about small screens where your not using a mouse?
This is not what he is adverse to.
You said it was MADE for those, which it isn't.
The fact that both have similiar needs is incidental. It is not called "big picture" because it has bigger icons to be used on small devices.
It is a concerted effort to push PC gaming into the living room to compete with other living room/big TV setups established on the market.

Again, pointing to the other thread, both together are almost prone for some "the daily show" type of "KO Gillian debates KO Gillian" sketch.

ZuljinRaynor 12-09-2012 09:20 PM

Edit: Double posted somehow.

ZuljinRaynor 12-09-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KO Gilligan (Post 960232)
Nice job trimming up the quote to make it seem that they weren't emphasizing that it's made for using a controller.

That is implied and assumed. Also the main goal is using it in a living room on a big screen TV. The controller is the input.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Plus, I don't care if it's good or bad on small devices. That's not the goal of it. You are ignoring that and saying that it's made for tablets and small screens when it's not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pansa (Post 960236)
Meh, it really depends on your reading speed imho.
I can't stand having to click several times to read a paragraph. It's the reason why everything needs to be voiced nowadays.
I don't need glasses, I read smallprint books. Don't make me scroll or flip pages if I could readily read it on one page :/

Depends on the font face and a lot of other things. Like I said, it really depends on the game. For example in Morrowind, the small font I found extremely annoying.

But then in something like Borderlands, the huge fontsizes take up too much space in the menus and then you have terrible menus. It's even more annoying in the second one.

Pansa 12-09-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor (Post 960239)
Depends on the font face and a lot of other things. Like I said, it really depends on the game. For example in Morrowind, the small font I found extremely annoying.

I am not going to discard font face entirely, but I believe it's not a major influence really.
The bigger conflict really is the "vision" and ideas the creators carry about "how it should look", often disregarding that it may look entirely different due to differnet setups/distances. It creeps into the aspect ratios aswell.
There is also a fundamental philosphy conflict. Some people HATE wall of texts, others hate splitting on severall pages more.

And you NEVER get a solution where you can effectively reduce the fontsize to consolidate severall pages. You just shift the windowsize. (exception is scrolling, but pageflipping is either constant or absent)

If you want to get an idea how DIFFERENT people are in their comforts, just look at the mmos that allow heavy customisation as far as text (chat) is concerned, and what people do with those to feel "happy".