3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non 3DR Game Discussion (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The steam store thread (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34791)

KO Gilligan 12-10-2012 12:42 AM

Re: The steam store thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor (Post 960239)
That's not the goal of it. You are ignoring that and saying that it's made for tablets and small screens when it's not.

The application is similar, and I hope to have Steam games running on a small device someday. I have a few dozen of them that would be great for small screens.

In the meantime this is still designed to be able to read easier. I should have worded my first post better.

There is a direction going on here, and the "ease of access" - could be described as "things other than the desktop"

and for the speed and compatibility now...I was talking about a direction, not a destination... the logical application is just TVs way across the room.... a relatively small device (hence the big humoungous easy read icons)

Thief 12-20-2012 05:16 PM

http://store.steampowered.com/

Steam Holiday Sale 2012 has begun! (yes, the link is unnecessary, I know)

Getting me a few more indies, though GOG's 'End of Days' sale yesterday knocked most off my Wishlist.
Choosing between Risen 2: Dark Waters or Rayman Origins for my one $10+ purchase.

X-Vector 03-25-2013 10:46 AM

There's a "75% off" special on Dear Esther until the 29th, it's now up for grabs for the measly sum of 2.

Trailer: http://dear-esther.com/?p=535 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VJ4lP-05A
Comparison between this commercial version and the 2008 mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZvIZ6eEGSI
Official website: http://dear-esther.com

Morbid 03-25-2013 05:58 PM

IMO this... indie effort tried so much to be original that managed to take the crown of the "emo" land.... "Dear Esther"... please. A depressing, boring, interactive movie... Thank you but no :) I prefer games...

KO Gilligan 03-25-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbid (Post 961452)
IMO this... indie effort tried so much to be original that managed to take the crown of the "emo" land.... "Dear Esther"... please. A depressing, boring, interactive movie... Thank you but no :) I prefer games...

While that may be accurate in some aspects - think about those games which all the critters are just a linear experience going from one critter lair to the next critter lair on a rail, with a cut scene mixed in every 3 to 5 minutes - that is certainly an "interactive movie" as well.

In fact, '"Dear Esther" might fit the better definition of a "game" because it might have a greater variation of outcomes, and more discovery, than an on-the-rails shooter.

I don't buy the "Original" thing though - it's just another Adventure RPG design - just a step away from playing Pinball or 5 Card Stud or Super Mario...

Morbid 03-26-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KO Gilligan (Post 961455)
While that may be accurate in some aspects - think about those games which all the critters are just a linear experience going from one critter lair to the next critter lair on a rail, with a cut scene mixed in every 3 to 5 minutes - that is certainly an "interactive movie" as well.

yeah they are bad as well, but at least you are *doing* (playing) something than just wandering around in a depressing setting... It's in the definition of game :) Now Dear Esther is interesting as a...project but that's it... I need games for relaxation, fun or challenge not for depressing myself, I can do that in real life :) .

Damien_Azreal 03-26-2013 07:34 PM

If a game can impact me enough to actually depress me, then it's story and or direction are hitting.
I enjoy games when they make me happy and I have fun. But, I find I far more enjoy games that make question, wonder or even sad. As they've had a stronger impact and left something with me.

dan2091 05-17-2013 09:51 PM

You know, Max Payne 3 depressed me for a while, because of many things about the game, just thinking about the time I first finished it, it makes me feel lost.

Anyway, I'm heeere cause Duke 3D is 50% off on Steam. I'm finally getting it... again :p.

Kit 05-21-2013 05:22 PM

I don't think I could play Duke 3D again. It's sits safely in the SMB 3, Resi 2 and MGS 1 camp. As in, I have hammered it too much for it ever to be enjoyable again.

Last playthrough was three or four years ago on a bloody mp3 player lol

dan2091 05-21-2013 10:51 PM

Hmmm... how old are you, Kit? I'm 21 and Super Mario World, Max Payne and Duke3D are my fave games that I have played to death, and still play them. I was planning on playing them my whole life =P . Perhaps I'm still too young to think about that.

Kit 05-22-2013 03:46 PM

Nearly 28. :)

I'm sure there's loads of people on here that have rinsed Duke 3D far, far more than me but I definitely exhausted it as far as I'm concerned.

Same goes for Resi 2 and SMB 3.

I reckon my resi 2 gameplay time would be considered seriously bloody concerning by any standards. :insomnia:

KO Gilligan 07-03-2013 11:25 AM

Get a free Steam key for Stellar-Impact at GreenManGaming right now.

The site is slammed - good luck.
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e...tellar-impact/

Thief 07-11-2013 04:53 PM

Thursday seems like an odd day to start what some of us have been eagerly anticipating.
Nevertheless, the Steam Summer Getaway sale is on from July 11-July 22.

Don't care much for all the trading cards stuff, I'm just hoping for a 66% sale or better on Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Already picked up Antichamber and Kairo.

Kalki 07-12-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thief (Post 962274)
Don't care much for all the trading cards stuff, I'm just hoping for a 66% sale or better on Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Flash sale -- 75% off Dark Souls™: Prepare To Die™ Edition:- http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/ ($7.49 USD) Edit: 53 mins left.

I thought about getting it myself but having a controller strongly recommended and the supposed high difficulty make me think I won't finish playing this. Got a whole backlog of games like that already.

Rapture_Rising 07-15-2013 06:35 AM

How are peoples wallets going so far from this sale?

So far i have bought Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Hitman: Absolution, the Duke Nukem Platformer Pack, System Shock 2 and Doom 3: BFG edition.

My wallet is now running on empty which might be a good thing.

Damien_Azreal 07-15-2013 07:05 AM

Haven't bought a single thing.
Haven't seen anything come up on sale that I've thought was worth it.

X-Vector 07-15-2013 08:05 AM

Bought the following:

- System Shock 2: 2,50
- Tomb Raider Collection: 17,50
- Arma X: Anniversary Edition: 13,60

crunchy superman 07-15-2013 10:58 AM

Thought about Tomb Raider & Bioshock:Infinite, but I'll wait until they're even cheaper. I probably should have bit on that COJ:Gunslinger, though.

KO Gilligan 07-15-2013 11:21 AM

$2.49 for Fallout: New Vegas has to be about the most game for the buck there ever was - especially with all the add-on stuff available

Thief 07-15-2013 02:53 PM

Just did a quick search on running Dishonored on Win XP (officially it's not supported) and was surprised to find that it actually does run on Win XP! No tweaks, nothing! ******* A! And today's the sale day! ******* A again!

Kalki 07-15-2013 08:53 PM

Bastion

Kalki 07-17-2013 07:48 PM

Thief, in case you missed it

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is 75% off again.

Thief 07-17-2013 08:58 PM

Yep, was ready for it this time. Thanks, Kalki.
It was actually part of the Community Choice vote two days after the Flash Sale, I believe, but was beat out by Hitman Absolution by 1%.

Also picked up Stealth Bastard Deluxe.

C'monnn Skyrim (non-Legendary version)!

Kalki 07-18-2013 02:14 AM

np. Post your impressions on the game whenever you get through it.

Me, I got me some Rage.

Rapture_Rising 07-18-2013 05:37 AM

I am a little disappointed at this years offerings, which i suppose is a good thing because at the moment i have better things to spend money on the games but so far everything is either of no interest to me or i already own it.

smashed pumpkin 07-20-2013 12:45 AM

Picked up Dishonored for 10 bucks. Can't play it until I finished with the bar exam next week though :(

X-Vector 07-21-2013 07:55 AM

Bought KotOR II and the Thief collection for a little under €10 total.

Thief 07-21-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Vector (Post 962327)
Bought KotOR II and the Thief collection for a little under 10 total.

Hope you can get KotOR II to run. A lot of compatibility problems. If you do get it to run, don't forget the Community Content Restore patch.

I guess the base version of Skyrim won't be slashed in price anymore than it currently is, no doubt due to the release of the Legendary version, because then Steam would have to sell the Legendary version with an even greater discount. Perhaps Christmas time...

I've decided to make one last purchase. It's either going to be Tomb Raider, The Swapper or Mars: War Logs, or maybe nothing at all. I've already spent over $30.

Damien_Azreal 07-21-2013 11:35 AM

Last day of the sale. Still nothing worth buying.

Awesome.

dan2091 07-22-2013 08:34 AM

Got Fez and The Scorchers DLC for Rage... Shame the Anarchy Edition isn't included on Steam. I guess I'll have to buy me a retail copy. Anyone got an extra Anarchy Edition code :D ?

dan2091 08-09-2013 12:53 AM

Got Shadow Warrior, had to take advantage of the daily deal. :) Also got me the Super Meat Boy soundtrack the other day. I love some of the game music so I needed to check it out.

KO Gilligan 10-31-2013 05:04 AM

HALLOWEEN SALE AT STEAM

A ton of stuff. Cheap.
Until Nov 1
enjoy

There are expansion/combo items not even shown - for example - I found the Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams combo for $3.59
I recommend Giana Sisters if you like side-scrolling platformers at all. It's very beautiful and extremely well done. I thinks it's one of the best platformers ever.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223220/

The painkiller combo is AWESOME

X-Vector 11-01-2013 06:46 AM

Well, I finally broke down and bought the Dead Space pack for 10; I just hope I can get past the mouse control and Vsync issues of what is apparently very shoddy console porting (at least the first one).

Damien_Azreal 11-01-2013 07:27 AM

The mouse issue can be fixed by enabling vsync through your graphics card control panel.
Other then that, it's a solid port.

X-Vector 11-01-2013 07:58 AM

Yeah, I've been browsing through the Steam forums and it seems that forcing Vsync should work and that running the exe in Windows XP mode and/or limiting the game to two cores may help as well.
Guess I'll have to see if I can brute force AA and AF like I can in Mass Effect, that would be nice.

KO Gilligan 11-08-2013 02:20 PM

Big pile of discounted games this weekend. Best way is to scroll through all the specials. Shadow Warrior is $27

Thief 11-08-2013 04:59 PM

Anybody experience some rather strange Steam activity in the last few days?
I think it was Wednesday when I had difficulty logging on, and when I finally did my Library was showing that I owned 250+ games. Sadly, these extra games I didn't legitimately own were only labeled as 'SteamApp ###', but because Steam saw it as me owning 250+ games, it granted me the 250+ games badge, bumping up my Steam level to 9. All is back to normal now, and the 250+ games badge has been removed, but I'm still at Level 9, so....score?

Thief 11-27-2013 04:03 PM

Autumn Sale 2013 is on until December 3rd.

The highlight of opening day definitely being Skyrim (for me at least) for $7.49.

Looks like Capcom is sitting this sale out...was hoping for a big cut on Remember Me, but I remember Steam having a Capcom sale week fairly recently. 50% off wasn't a big enough cut.

Looks like Tomb Raider won't be getting slashed anymore than 75%, so I'm probably going to hold off...but it won't be easy.

My purchases so far:
Skyrim
Bleed
Ms. 'Splosion Man
Electronic Super Joy

dan2091 12-02-2013 05:53 PM

Finally got Shadow Warrior (2013 game, this time). Installing it. I'm also installing Half Life: Episode 1, which I already had but have never played... with this SW purchase, I felt guilty of buying too many games and not playing all of them. =S

---

I was considering getting that Elder Scrolls boxset that was on sale on Amazon. But I wasn't and I am still not sure if Elder Scrolls will be my kind of game...

It kinda reminds me of Hexen 2, which, thought I haven't completed it, yet, I love. Is the story good?