3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non 3DR Game Discussion (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The steam store thread (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34791)

Simon Charles 06-26-2009 06:12 PM

Re: The steam store thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 884014)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for only $5 this weekend!

Still not worth it. Bloody awful game.

Damien_Azreal 06-26-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Charles (Post 884032)
Still not worth it. Bloody awful game.

No it's not... in your opinion maybe, but that doesn't make it so for everyone. It's an okay game, not great... but a fun one.

Simon Charles 06-26-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal (Post 884033)
No it's not... in your opinion maybe, but that doesn't make it so for everyone. It's an okay game, not great... but a fun one.

For what it tried to do compared to how it failed at it, yeah, it's awful. Melee combat was supposed to be the star of the show and it reeked. Sucked all the fun out of it.

Loke 06-26-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 878586)
Nice score? I bought it. I don't own any of them, but I remember having a lot of fun playing the first UT when it came out. If people are still online playing that one, I'll be stoked.

People still play that online. Last time I checked there were hundred of servers up (although most were empty).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 878586)
Everything else in this package is entirely new for me to discover. I'm actually excited :o

Wish I were you. :/

Thief 06-26-2009 07:10 PM

Sweet! Been waiting for Zeno Clash to drop in price a bit.

Delicieuxz 06-26-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Charles (Post 884034)
For what it tried to do compared to how it failed at it, yeah, it's awful. Melee combat was supposed to be the star of the show and it reeked. Sucked all the fun out of it.

I notice a trend where you tend to be at odds (or "wrong") with everyone on everything you ever say about games. Melee combat was fantastic. There were several unique things in DM which were done well. The weakest point of the game for me is the level variety. Hardly any beautiful outdoor areas, but lots of simple detail caverns, dungeons, crypts, etc. The game needed more dynamic and exciting environments. I'm really disappointed that there won't be a sequel to advance what DM pioneered in this title.

Simon Charles 06-27-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 884075)
I notice a trend where you tend to be at odds (or "wrong") with everyone on everything you ever say about games.

No.

Quote:

Melee combat was fantastic.
Oh so no.

Combat was stiff, movement was unresponsive and FBA made you feel as though you had cement shoes. Stealth was broken, enemies could see you even when hidden (bye bye one third of the game), magic was underpowered and melee felt floaty. You never felt as though you connected blades or actually swung and hit something. And let's not even talk about the repetitive levels, bosses, voice overs, enemies, bugs, bugs, crashes, bugs, crashes and bugs.

Back on topic. Probably gonna purchase Civ 4 on Steam. How's the strategy in that? I want to play online with friends.

Dogy 07-02-2009 09:53 AM

Fallout 3 is $25 this weekend:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22300/

DAMN good deal.

Lain 07-02-2009 12:51 PM

Yes but, i'm sure we will get the add-on content for a new price soon, in a bundle, deciding, if i should buy it, or wait.

Thief 07-02-2009 03:52 PM

Faaaack...I still haven't bought Fallout 3 and this price is the lowest I'm likely to see for another year, but I just don't want it 'Steamed'.

Simon Charles 07-04-2009 06:47 PM

F*ck. Just got it at full price. Dammit. Hope the DLC comes to Steam.

Inanimate Carbon Rod 07-05-2009 08:19 AM

I just bought fallout 3 for $25.

I like using steam because I never have to worry about having physical media.

Taril 07-06-2009 07:01 PM

Just announced today.
Quote:

In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic Commando.

The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:

Armed and Dangerous™
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
LOOM™
Star Wars Battlefront® II
Star Wars Republic Commando®
Star Wars Starfighter™
The Dig®
Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

“This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to LucasArts’ classic games,” said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. “It also gives more people a chance to play our games by making them available long after they’ve disappeared from store shelves. We hope our fans are as excited as we are about our plans and we can’t wait to share what’s coming next. This is just the beginning.”

This series of launches continues LucasArts’ new mission to revitalize its deep portfolio of beloved gaming franchises.

Simon Charles 07-06-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

The Dig®

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

I always wanted that game when I was a kid but it never ran on my computer. Corrupt CD, always crashed past the intro. So getting this. :love:

Taril 07-06-2009 08:12 PM

Only game listed out of those that im interested in is Fate of Atlantis..

Ill get excited when they release Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, X-Wing, Tie Fighter and Afterlife. *keeps fingers crossed*

Stense 07-07-2009 04:21 AM

Never got to play Loom or Fate of Atlantis, so this is great for me.

Betelgeuse 07-07-2009 09:47 AM

yay! before you know it, there might be DOT, FT and the MI games available.. well, im hoping, plus the SoMI:SE will be available on the 15th of july via steam.

Delicieuxz 07-07-2009 10:21 PM

I picked up Civilization III Complete from Steam for $5. Great deal, great game. However, it uses some low resolution like 1024x768, and there's no option in the settings menu to change it. By adding the line "KeepRes=1" to Conquests.ini, the game will use your desktop resolution, but since my desktop is at 1900x1200 this makes things ingame a little too small for my liking. Does anyone know how to change the resolution without having to change my desktop's resolution?

Taril 07-08-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

The Steam Website now offers the promised digital distribution of some classic LucasArts adventure games (thanks nin). The first round of releases includes ten titles:

The Dig for $4.99
Star Wars Starfighter for $4.99
Star Wars Republic Commando for $9.99
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for $19.99
LOOM for $4.99
Armed and Dangerous for $9.99
Star Wars Battlefront for $19.99
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for $4.99
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for $4.99
Thrillville: Off the Rails for $19.99
Woot cheap.

Orochi Avlis 07-08-2009 01:30 PM

I want Grim Fandango and Sam and Max Hit The Road on there.

Simon Charles 07-08-2009 06:59 PM

Got The Dig. Had a lump in my throat when I past the point where it used to crash when I was a kid. Pure, incredible joy. This game is a gem.

Paroxysm 07-08-2009 07:06 PM

Hmm I already own most of them but then will my support of old lucasarts adventures encourage further revival of them? MAYBE!

dlink 07-10-2009 03:29 PM

Weekend deal - Grid €10

thinking of getting it, reaally chepa and i could use a nice racing game. Is it worth it?

thefly 07-11-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paroxysm (Post 885703)
Hmm I already own most of them but then will my support of old lucasarts adventures encourage further revival of them? MAYBE!

Battlehawks and Their Finest Hour please!

Delicieuxz 07-13-2009 06:30 AM

Picked up The Dig, Loom, and Fate of Atlantis. I'd never played The Dig before, I'm really loving it.

Simon Charles 07-13-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 886385)
Picked up The Dig, Loom, and Fate of Atlantis. I'd never played The Dig before, I'm really loving it.

Yup, awesome game. Full orchestral score and voice acting... they were really ahead of their time.

I call a dick move on the flying robot puzzle though. Picking up the lens my ass. 20 tries and I still can't do it. Horrible design.

Talos 07-14-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Charles (Post 886466)
Yup, awesome game. Full orchestral score and voice acting... they were really ahead of their time.

I call a dick move on the flying robot puzzle though. Picking up the lens my ass. 20 tries and I still can't do it. Horrible design.

I haven't made it without a walkthrough. One of the single most worst puzzle designs ever.
<nerd>What where they thinking?!</nerd>

Delicieuxz 07-14-2009 03:33 AM

I made it 2/3rds to 3/4 of the way without a walkthrough, but then got tired of aimless wandering around without a clue or hint as to what to do next. What I read in the walkthrough wasn't anything to be figured out, but stuff that could only be eventually stumbled upon by chance while searching the whole gameworld over and over. I used a walkthrough for most of the rest of the game as it seemed to largely rely on that type of play from then on, and I wasn't willing to humour it. Great game and story nonetheless.

Betelgeuse 07-14-2009 07:03 PM

gah?... looks like the SoMI:SE got pushed back 10 more hours or something. damn.

i never finished the dig, i played it at a friends house back in the day, but we got stuck. i might buy it after i have bought and finished SoMI:SE.

Delicieuxz 07-14-2009 09:54 PM

I'll be picking up SoMI as soon as Steam releases it, even though I find everything about the new look absolutely hideous and atrocious. I'll just keep to the more-pleasant looking pixel version while I play. I'm now on Fate of Atlantis, though, so I probably won't start SoMI as soon as I get it anyway.

Betelgeuse 07-14-2009 11:18 PM

that's the beauty! you can switch between the classic look and the new look anytime you want, i think some of the background designs look pretty good, but i am mainly just excited about hearing the dialogue this time round :D

Simon Charles 07-15-2009 09:26 PM

10$ for the Monkey Island 1 remake. Is that a special or the regular price?

Delicieuxz 07-15-2009 09:54 PM

Regular. I bought it and I have a few complaints, though I hope they will be fixed. One is that you can't start the game in the original mode, you have to wait through the titles before you can switch. Small thing, but annoying, particularly if want the old experience and hate the new look. A larger complaint is that there's no voice audio when playing the original version. That makes the Steam version useless for those who already own the game but want to play the original version with spoken dialogue.

Betelgeuse 07-16-2009 07:53 PM

Hmm, that does sound a bit annoying. i wonder why they disabled the audio when you switch to classic mode? :s

I bought it, but im going to have to wait... a long time for it to download, i didn't realise how big it was going to be (2gb) damn!. plus im "capped" and everything downloads at 12k max, until the 5th of aug.

Delicieuxz 07-16-2009 08:55 PM

Do you think it's possible to apply a video filter to the original version that smoothes out the look, just like zsnes has all those video filters to choose from?

Betelgeuse 07-16-2009 09:46 PM

actually, im pretty sure the "scummvm" application has a few options/features like what you're describing. ive tested a couple of the graphic options with MI2 and some look ok. but some others don't work very well and just glitch.

here's a pic of the graphic options.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1...raphicm.th.jpg

Delicieuxz 07-16-2009 10:00 PM

LOL, the Secret of Monkey Island SE is currently the top selling game on Steam, surpassing Tales of Monkey Island as well.

Betelgeuse 07-16-2009 10:09 PM

this is a good sign for lechucks revenge:SE. :)

it'd be great if lucasarts made a brand spankin new, 5th MI game though.

peoplessi 07-17-2009 04:13 AM

You mean this new Lucasarts that has nothing, or close to nothing to do with the Lucasarts you remember making those games :) Yep, also, most of the guys moved to Telltale Games. I appreciate their efforts.

Betelgeuse 07-17-2009 08:02 PM

oh yeah.... well, as long as Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer were making it,
then that would be great, but it's just a pipe dream.