3D Realms Forums

3D Realms Forums (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non 3DR Game Discussion (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The steam store thread (https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34791)

Simon Charles 07-17-2009 08:51 PM

Re: The steam store thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 886741)
even though I find everything about the new look absolutely hideous and atrocious.

It's Guybrush's hair. You can see too much of his skull/forehead. He's actually the only one who doesn't look anything like his old self.

Paroxysm 07-18-2009 06:05 AM

Yeah his hair is just confounding. It doesn't look like any other iteration of guybrush. It doesn't even look like hair.

peoplessi 07-19-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betelgeuse (Post 887250)
oh yeah.... well, as long as Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer were making it,
then that would be great, but it's just a pipe dream.

Telltale Games has the biggest share of ex-Lucasarts, and both Gilbert & Schafer have their own projects going on now.

Simon Charles 07-20-2009 06:55 PM

Got Monkey Island. If you forget Guybrush's horrible pompadour hairdo, it's a pretty damn good remake. The graphics are spectacular, and it feels awesome to hear the original voice cast is back.

Interface is horrid though. And the whole walk/sliding animation looks awful.

Aside from that nitpicking, it's awesome. For 10$, it's a great value.

peoplessi 07-21-2009 07:11 AM

The animation issue derives to the original. It was either that they didn't want to stray from the original, or the tech was the limit. Can't remember, but it's mentioned in the E3 interview.

Paroxysm 07-21-2009 03:19 PM

It's because they're matching the walking speed of the original game which runs in tandem behind it. But since the original game doesn't look like it's sliding everywhere I'm going to put it on the new team again for making poor animation. It's not like it's unbearable or anything. Just sloppy. But there are a LOT of sloppy elements in the hd version. The voice work makes up for it though (except for Stan).

Delicieuxz 07-22-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Charles (Post 887255)
It's Guybrush's hair. You can see too much of his skull/forehead. He's actually the only one who doesn't look anything like his old self.

Personally, I pretty much don't like any of the new look. To me, it's thoroughly cheapened and tacky, very far from my conception of beautiful or pleasing, and there's what seem to me like amateur touches, such as the water in the opening credits: The size of the water refractions make it look like the island is a toy in a bathtub or small puddle. To me, the scenery in a lot of shots looks more detailed in the original than they do in the smoothed-over SE, and succeed in giving me a sense of a massive environment in which there's a lot there that the new rendition does not. That's a step backwards to me. Overall, the look has become clearer, but less deep. Not an acceptable trade-off to my tastes, as I prize the latter a lot more than the former.

http://www.gossipgamers.com/wp-conte...engrab_480.jpg

Paroxysm 07-22-2009 02:25 AM

Herman's Fort is nearly impossible to see on the new map. I imagine new players having a hard time seeing it for the first time :P

jimbob 07-22-2009 04:05 AM

yeah, i found it thanks to a map on UHS-Hints.

the mug puzzle is awefull with the new interface, it takes too long to open it and the arrows to browse down and up through your inventory are off so i usually ended up clicking the wrong item and my mug dissolved.

so switching to classic i finished it in one go.

Simon Charles 07-23-2009 06:53 PM

Space Quest and King's Quest collections, among others.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10110/

Paroxysm 07-24-2009 07:58 AM

Not available in Australia. :mad:

ZaphodB 07-24-2009 09:03 AM

For ppl in Australia and New Zealand, 3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures is only 10c (that's $0.10) right now. It's on sale for $7.49 in the US. What a break for ppl down under.

http://www.ecogamer.com/

Delicieuxz 07-24-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paroxysm (Post 888181)
Not available in Australia. :mad:

What if you get someone outside of Australia to buy it and send it to you as a gift?

There are also the excellent and free KQ 1 & 2 remakes.

Steve 07-24-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodB (Post 888189)
For ppl in Australia and New Zealand, 3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures is only 10c (that's $0.10) right now. It's on sale for $7.49 in the US. What a break for ppl down under.

http://www.ecogamer.com/

Hehe :D You're welcome ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 888191)
What if you get someone outside of Australia to buy it and send it to you as a gift?

Yeah that works :)

Delicieuxz 07-24-2009 11:39 PM

You know what game I'd like to see come to Steam? Either Worms Armageddon or World Party - with a working browser for internet games & quick matches. Oh man, I could not even predict how many hours I'd lose to that.

jimbob 07-25-2009 01:43 PM

bought the space quest series today, it was on sale! :D

the games are hard as hell though
cant make it off of the first damn spaceship.

Simon Charles 07-25-2009 07:02 PM

Just got Aces of the Galaxy for 7$. It's basically a Space Invader clone in 3D. Silky smooth graphics, great sound and music. It's on rails, the game moves the ship for you, you just move the mouse to shoot and avoid asteroids. There's secondary fire for missiles and even a (watered down) bullet-time feature.

It's not bad, but inexplicably, it fails at even the most basic levels :

-No widescreen support
-Enemies all look alike
-Can't tell enemy bullets from the background
-No boss fights
-Can't rebind controls
-CAN'T REBIND CONTROLS

So, meh. It's old-school in every sense of the term. You get a few short hours of mindless shoot'em up gameplay. If that's worth 7 bucks to you, go nuts.

Quote:

the games are hard as hell though
cant make it off of the first damn spaceship.
Old version or new version? VGA remake is easy, you just click on whatever is interactive.

Old version was hard as hell, yeah. Nothing was obvious. Enjoy dying repeatedly when arriving at the town after the bike trip. Pro tip : save a fresh game just as you arrive in town and keep that save game. In the original, you could get stuck in a dead-end and never complete the game if you failed to figure out how to get out of town.

Taril 07-29-2009 09:41 PM

Please. Please. PLEASE. Lucasarts. Put Afterlife on steam.

ZaphodB 07-30-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taril (Post 888986)
Please. Please. PLEASE. Lucasarts. Put Afterlife on steam.

Someone gave me that game, I never got to play it. I couldn't get it to run in XP, and doubt seriously it'll run on vista64.

Taril 07-30-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodB (Post 889002)
Someone gave me that game, I never got to play it. I couldn't get it to run in XP, and doubt seriously it'll run on vista64.

It might work but youll need to try running the exes in compatibility mode for Win95.

Its an awesome game. Really underrated and overlooked.
Hopefully itll make it on to Steam so people can try it.
http://www.lauppert.ws/screen1/afterlife.png

Dogy 07-30-2009 02:56 PM

Dawn of War 2 weekend deal 50% off: http://store.steampowered.com/app/15620/

Thief 07-30-2009 05:23 PM

^ Yeah, along with all the other Dawn of Wars and the Company of Heroes games. Tempted much? I certainly am.

Delicieuxz 08-09-2009 12:57 PM

I'm thinking of getting Trackmania United Forever while it's 50% off, but if anybody has it, what's the music like? I'm hoping it isn't techno.

Thief 08-18-2009 06:34 PM

Anyone pick up Osmos? Cool little game to just chill to and enjoy. Great soundtrack so far.
Your a mote that needs to absorb smaller motes to get bigger, which in turn allows you to absorb the bigger red motes. You can eject matter to propel yourself in any direction at the cost of size...some levels even drop you near a planet-size mote that's constantly trying to pull you in.
Reminds me of that Moon Landing game where your fuel is constantly depleting while you try to get to a landing zone without hitting mountains or landing with too much velocity.
Great visuals.

Delicieuxz 09-07-2009 11:19 AM

Do all Steam games use DRM?

ZuljinRaynor 09-07-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 894023)
Do all Steam games use DRM?

All Steam games require Steam to be running but the DOS games.

Jiminator 09-07-2009 01:10 PM

note though, you can disconnect your internet, start steam, specify offline mode, or when online just tell it to go offline. then the sp type games will work without a connection.

Delicieuxz 09-07-2009 01:21 PM

Cool, that's mainly what I'm concerned with.

Boo Boo Juice 09-13-2009 10:11 PM

I just got some Braid action for 4.99 I always wanted the game because everyone said it was great, but 15 was just too much. I tried it out this morning and it seems real interesting so far.

Question though, can I get this to run in widescreen properly? It is all squished and it makes me sad.

[edit]Did a google search on the problem, but couldn't find any answers. Some people said it was displaying fine for them and some people said it was squashed for them.[/edit]

Boo Boo Juice 09-14-2009 01:07 AM

Just curious, I love the fricken shit out of Fallout 3. I never played any of the previous Fallout games. I see that I can get the Fallout Collection on steam for 19.99. Should I pick it up? How does it run on XP?

Jiminator 09-14-2009 01:40 AM

fallout + expansions was available on one of the bargain sites for about $10 I think.
Just a warning, they are not fallout 3. They are more of an isometric turn based game.
If that works for you then go for it, if not....

Boo Boo Juice 09-14-2009 02:31 AM

Yeah, I already know that they aren't anything like fallout 3. I don't mind the view at all and I don't mind turn based at all either.

Paroxysm 09-14-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Boo Juice (Post 894865)
Just curious, I love the fricken shit out of Fallout 3. I never played any of the previous Fallout games. I see that I can get the Fallout Collection on steam for 19.99. Should I pick it up? How does it run on XP?

It's better to get such games on GOG rather than Steam. GOG supports the games to make sure they work under xp/vista plus you don't have any DRM issues which can effect use of mods and such.

Boo Boo Juice 09-14-2009 05:49 AM

I don't really like using mods anyway. I already went and purchased the games and tested them out. They seem to run perfectly fine so far.

Paroxysm 09-14-2009 03:16 PM

Well the higher resolution patches are worth it for the fallout games. Oh well. Enjoy!

Betelgeuse 09-15-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz (Post 890331)
I'm thinking of getting Trackmania United Forever while it's 50% off, but if anybody has it, what's the music like? I'm hoping it isn't techno.

(i might be tad late with this one) unfortunately it is, but there is a sound slider and music slider at the top right hand corner of the screen the whole time you play, hidden until you move the mouse cursor over it, so just turn the music off and open up media player or what ever and let the hours fly by. :D

DerricktheW 09-15-2009 01:55 AM

Can't wait for the Jedi Knight games to be released soon.

Gonna get me some Jedi Academy for sure

Delicieuxz 09-15-2009 09:36 PM

I just bought Titan Quest Gold from Steam. I wasn't going to until I noticed that the community patch works with the Steam release, and enables it to play together with retail customers. I've been curious about this game for a while.

Opus131 09-17-2009 08:59 PM

Jedi Knight hits Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2103/

The whole series for 20$. Pretty happy about it since i couldn't make Dark Forces work on my computer, but they dropped the ball on Jedi Knight by not including the soundtrack. WTF? They couldn't be arsed to re-encode the game to seek out digital tracks rather then CD audio? Blizzard did it when they released the Battle.net version of Warcraft II but somehow this highly advanced operation eluded the abilities of Lucas Arts. You can still download an ISO of the original game and stick it in the CD player but ****, how stupid do they have to be to release a butchered version of whats perhaps the best game in the series? If i had known before i many have not been suckered to buy the whole set, but whatever.

Paroxysm 09-17-2009 09:38 PM

Re: Jedi Knight hits Steam

Really? Shit I hadn't played them yet so I didn't know. That's incredibly stupid. Almost wish I hadn't bought them now.