Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #361
eddym4814

Re: The New Hardware Thread
I won Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 from TweakTown. It was a nice way to start the day.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #362
KO Gilligan

Got a cheap Rosewill case from NewEgg for $23 free shipping. Deal is gone now. It came yesterday, and the metal is light guage, but I love the design.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #363
Inanimate Carbon Rod

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Theater.html

Bought this powerline ether net adapter. I move into a new house where my ps3 is just a little too far from my wireless router for netflix to work over 802.11g.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #364
eddym4814

I ordered a Toshiba DR570 DVD Recorder and it came in today. It seems to be a popular model since it was sold out at the first few sites I checked and is now sold out at the site I ordered it from.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #365
KO Gilligan

Lady Duke Ear Buds on sale (with microphone) :
http://www.midnightbox.com
Deal 2

iFrogz ear pollution series features lots of Nuke symbols
http://ifrogz.com/earpollution/
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 08-02-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #366
NutWrench

I bought a couple of HDMI cables at Big Lots for $12 each. Some of the prices at places like Best Buy are insane ($70).
If you're paying more than $20 each, you're getting screwed.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #367
ixfd64

I got a new Lenovo ThinkPad X301. The 128 GB SSD is nice.

Visit my forums!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #368
Jeff

Got a Zalman 9700 CPU cooler to replace my old Arctic Freezer 7 Pro cooler.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #369
Phayzon

46" 1080p 120Hz Samsung LCD

The benefits of 120Hz are much more noticeable with this than the 46" Sony Bravia it replaced. With the Sony, it almost never looked more than 60Hz. I noticed this in the store too, Sonys next to Samsungs, Sonys all look 60Hz.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #370
hightreason

Got a new 100Mb/s Switch for £100 - D-Link DES-1562 24-Port with two Fibre/Copper 1Gb/s uplinks to replace my stack of Mentor 8-Port half duplex switches.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=403
D-Link, becuase Cisco fails.

It's nice to be operating a Full-Duplex network at last.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #371
peoplessi

HP all the way here. I have HP ProCurve 8-port switch behind my modest home network, hasn't failed me yet.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #372
hightreason

Yeah, they are my second option if I can't get D-Link, though usually under their 3Com brand.

On another note (I think it's worth knowing), I had a Netgear ProSafe once to replace an £8 white-box switch, when it failed I opened it to find it had the exact same board as the Whitebox one, despite costing five times more (It was over £40 in a sale). Obviously I never much cared that the Whitebox was poor (After all, it only calimed to be a switching hub, nothing special) but that netgear had me annoyed for about a week afterwards.

Right now though things are kind of scary, because its working and I'm not used to it.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #373
peoplessi

D-Link doesn't compare to 3Com or HP at all It's more like at the level of Linksys and other such brands.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #374
hightreason

I guess it's personal preference at the end of the day, I like D-Link because it has always worked well for me and is still affordable, but then I also like HP/3Com, they just seem a bit more costly though. It may be worth noting though that D-Link has constantly grown over the years (Not that HP haven't, but D-Link started out very small).

Linksys? Bah, they used to be OK as budget hardware, but they haven't been the same since Cisco bought them out.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #375
8IronBob

Well, didn't go wrong with Netgear, they seem to be pretty good with their WNR2000 router. Had one for coming up on a year, and still providing pretty solid wi-fi around here.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
46" 1080p 120Hz Samsung LCD

The benefits of 120Hz are much more noticeable with this than the 46" Sony Bravia it replaced. With the Sony, it almost never looked more than 60Hz. I noticed this in the store too, Sonys next to Samsungs, Sonys all look 60Hz.
Wonder if Sony's 240Hz wouldn't look much better than 120Hz on a Samsung, with that logic.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #376
Duke rajongó
Look at this side free Winchester you may put it up your things here. http://www.fileserve.com/signup.php?reff=Hg4rFIXLxS4 ~
Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #377
8IronBob

Decided to replace my 500GB and 640GB HDDs with a WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD to simplify storage. Didn't want too many hard drives hogging up my PSU and making me all confused as to where to store what. At least my PC can breathe easier now.

Still hanging on to my Corsair P128 SSD to boot Windows and necessary software (Internet Security, hardware drivers, Mozilla), tho.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #378
KO Gilligan

I suddenly want 2 4870s.

I can game on them xfire for a year, and then when I upgrade I can migrate them to 2 slower machines.

Right now you can get XFX 4870 cheap on NewEgg.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #379
eddym4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I suddenly want 2 4870s.

I can game on them xfire for a year, and then when I upgrade I can migrate them to 2 slower machines.

Yeah, I saw them too. They are 20 bucks less than the 4850 I bought a couple of months ago. Good price for what you get.

Edit: I just checked Newegg and the special I was thinking of was not available. The one I remember was a XFX HD 4870 for $109.99 with a $20.00 rebate. It could have been a Shell Shocker one day only price though.
Last edited by eddym4814; 09-13-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #380
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I suddenly want 2 4870s.

2 4870s rock. I have a pair of Sapphire Vapor-X 2GB ones in my system now.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #381
peoplessi

CF or SLI is never worth it.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #382
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
CF or SLI is never worth it.
Why do you say that? I've found it to be totally worth it in my setup, although that may be because I was coming from a piece of crap nVidia card.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #383
NutWrench

It's definitely worth it for games that are specifically written for CrossFire. Older games, not so much.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #384
Water12356

Eh its just too expensive. Not to mention there will often be a card that comes out 6 months later that has the same power of that SLI setup for less than you spent.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #385
8IronBob

Failed on me after a week of ownership. Damn, I thought these Caviar Blacks were rated to last at least 5 - 10 years, I must have either received a refurb or a dud that should have never made if off WD's assembly line.
Guess either Newegg slipped me a refurb on purpose, or WD doesn't have the quality control on larger capacity drives anymore. Definitely preparing an RMA. I'm just glad this wasn't my Windows boot drive, or I'd REALLY be screwed royal.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 09-18-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #386
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Failed on me after a week of ownership. Damn, I thought these Caviar Blacks were rated to last at least 5 - 10 years, I must have either received a refurb or a dud that should have never made if off WD's assembly line.
Guess either Newegg slipped me a refurb on purpose, or WD doesn't have the quality control on larger capacity drives anymore. Definitely preparing an RMA. I'm just glad this wasn't my Windows boot drive, or I'd REALLY be screwed royal.
Probably just a bad drive (lemon I think is the term sales people use). I've had my WDC Black 1 TB for almost a year and it's still running. Better than Seagate failing every month or two. I would never buy another Seagate drive again.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #387
8IronBob

Of course, I'm hearing that Hitachi's on the up and up now when it comes to HDDs above the 1 TB mark.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #388
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Probably just a bad drive (lemon I think is the term sales people use). I've had my WDC Black 1 TB for almost a year and it's still running. Better than Seagate failing every month or two. I would never buy another Seagate drive again.
Don't make this into 'the war of the harddrive manufacterers' I can tell you storys about WD and Hatchi and Fujitsu too, hell i can tell you about my 12 year old Maxtor (Seagate now) drive that is still used today (8GB) for swap drive.

But that is not the point, the whole 'my brand is better then your brand' pissing contest is getting really old... This is exactly why the soviet government controlled all the companies in the USSR, because it pretty much puts a stop to "my ePenis is shiny and yours is not' pissing contest because there is only one brand to choose from, the soviet brand, either use it or have nothing..... now that i think of it, they were on to something.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #389
peoplessi

Quote:
Of course, I'm hearing that Hitachi's on the up and up now when it comes to HDDs above the 1 TB mark.
Must be the voices inside your head
Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #390
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Don't make this into 'the war of the harddrive manufacterers' I can tell you storys about WD and Hatchi and Fujitsu too, hell i can tell you about my 12 year old Maxtor (Seagate now) drive that is still used today (8GB) for swap drive.
I did own Seagate drives back in 2004 that are still going so it's just the most recent ones that caused me some issues. I'm not trying to tell people what to buy or start a war. They can decide for themselves.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #391
KO Gilligan

Picked up the Zotac GTX 460 video card deal on Newegg - $130 after rebate free shipping.

Usually buy ATI but I couldn't resist the power/price. I read somewhere that Foxconn made the Zotac mainboards. I have a Foxconn board that turned out to be real nice. I hope the quality is good. It has a 2 year warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-173-_-Product
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 10-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #392
KO Gilligan

GTX 460 with my Q6600 runs everything I throw at it at nice high resolutions - It has two pcie connectors, but says it only needs a 450W PS

I'm running a 750 with like 26A on each of the the 12V rails - I guess it's better to have more than enough.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #393
Phayzon

Original blue G15 finally died

Considered the G510 (which looked to finally not suck, unlike the orange G15 and G19), but decided against it in favor of the MS Sidewinder X4. Waitin' on the UPS guy now...
Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #394
Inanimate Carbon Rod

My wife's car stereo is on it's way out so we bought this receiver to replace it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSXS300BT.../dp/B0042X96L0

No more CD's! Nifty ipod storage tray! Stream music over bluetooth from my 32gig nokia phone.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #395
8IronBob

/me likey this laptop and hopes to pick it up before Christmas:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114907
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #396
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
Original blue G15 finally died

Considered the G510 (which looked to finally not suck, unlike the orange G15 and G19), but decided against it in favor of the MS Sidewinder X4. Waitin' on the UPS guy now...
I'm not sure why, but somehow one of these keyboards seems to be a hot item for some:

Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #397
KO Gilligan

Quote:
/me likey this laptop and hopes to pick it up before Christmas:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114907
I noticed ATI provides catalyst mobility updates (I seen an 11-17-2011 available) even though their main pages still talk about getting the Catalyst software from the Notebook manufacture. I think NVidia was actually the first to try to standardize and update those GPUs with downloadables right from their site.

Back in the day, that was a huge point of contention for Toshiba, who never provided timely driver updates.

But if the 5650 is similar in gaming performance as their desktop couterpart, that would be a pretty decent gaming notebook.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #398
8IronBob

Right, Toshiba and Asus are neck and neck now in terms of providing those "bang for the buck" configurations in terms of laptops with dedicated GPUs built into them. I kind of wish that you could have an i5 CPU with the 5650 for that price tag, but we all know that you'd almost have to cough up well over $1K USD to get an Intel quad-core and have a dedicated GPU along with it. It's tough, but...I'm pretty sure that an AMD Phenom II in laptop form may perform differently from a desktop version of the CPU.

However, I just noticed on NewEgg this morning, that there's an Acer Laptop that has an i5 460 and a 420M GPU, whether this would be better than an AMD x4 and 5650 laptop, I'm not too sure.
I mean, Acer intends to make a laptop that can compete in the gaming/performance line, but not too sure where to place this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115857

I mean, for a $700 budget, I don't think there's much better than this in terms of gaming laptops in that price range, but this might be okay, we'll see.
/me hopes that this won't sell out before Wednesday, that's the day when I plan to pull the trigger on this.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 12-11-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #399
8IronBob

I have the Acer above on its way. Of course, the first couple of things I'm probably going to replace or upgrade out of the gate, I'm probably gonna be replacing that 5400 RPM clunker with an X25-M to both increase battery life, and increase speed and performance, I probably won't miss that extra capacity, since I was intending on the GPU, RAM, and CPU more than anything.

Also, I hate that most laptop manufacturers stick you with Home Premium and all this bloatware, so I'm probably going to get an OEM version of Windows Professional, if not Ultimate. I'm pretty sure that for a laptop, you probably would need those extra features to make sure that you're protected when you're on the road, especially in a public place.

These may probably be the only two upgrades I may make to this at the time being, but I feel that these may become necessary to maximize performance, security and battery life in the long haul. Hope this works out for the better, we'll see.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #400
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
My wife's car stereo is on it's way out so we bought this receiver to replace it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSXS300BT.../dp/B0042X96L0

No more CD's! Nifty ipod storage tray! Stream music over bluetooth from my 32gig nokia phone.
Installed easily.

It's nice to finally have an aftermarket stereo with technology from the 21st century.