Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #121
Wamplet

Re: The New Hardware Thread
router

My old one began eating shit a while back. The last storm took it out for sure.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 08-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #122
Water12356

Yep I had to get a new one a couple weeks weeks ago. that was fun.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #123
Jeff

Got a new hard drive today. My system drive had a SMART error as well as something in Windows saying it was dying, so I backed up everything and got it replaced.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #124
juliwats119

i just got a Logitech trcakball to replace my former G5,i am very satisfied with it,works well,it's really a good attempt!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #125
Inanimate Carbon Rod

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167013

When this product drops in price to around $200, I will buy it.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #126
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliwats119 View Post
i just got a Logitech trcakball to replace my former G5,i am very satisfied with it,works well,it's really a good attempt!
Well, it's not good for anything I can think of p Rather have a real 3DConnexion controller.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #127
Wamplet

NEW COMPUTAR AFTER 5 YEARS \o/
Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #128
Jeff

Bought a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB drive.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #129
Wamplet

Auzentech x-fi

had to replace the SB fatality titanium with it.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #130
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Bought a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB drive.
Good pick, I have that same drive.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #131
NutWrench

I love some of the new case designs, like the Cooler Master HAF 932, but the 230mm fans are definitely non-standard and I can't find replacement spares online. (I KNOW I'll need at least two more fans over the computers lifetime).
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #132
Wamplet

My pal has one of the Cooler Master cases:

Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 ATX Full-Tower Case

I recently got the Antec 1200 case. You can order extra fans (120mm) from newegg and/or pick them up at some of the bigger stores.

I think it has a 250mm as well, which is of course oversized than a normal one, but probably a bit more common than 230.

I checked newegg and the coolermaster site, as well as frys and microcenter and saw no 230mm fans.
Last edited by Wamplet; 09-30-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #133
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
I love some of the new case designs, like the Cooler Master HAF 932, but the 230mm fans are definitely non-standard and I can't find replacement spares online. (I KNOW I'll need at least two more fans over the computers lifetime).

http://www.svc.com/r4-svs-07ak-gp.html Also comes in blue or red.

Just google 230mm fan.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #134
NutWrench

Thanks!
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #135
NutWrench

Well, I ordered the Cooler Master case mentioned above.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #136
NutWrench

A question!

I'm looking at this CPU and this motherboard.

I plan to run Windows 7 Professional on it when it becomes available (Oct 22). Will Windows 7 automatically install the 64-bit version of itself if the necessary hardware is available? Or is the 64-bit version sold seperately?

In the meantime, I was planning to pull the SATA drive out of my current computer (Windows XP) and put it in the new one. (Plus do a "new" Windows install since all the hardware will be different).
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #137
Inanimate Carbon Rod

You have to buy Windows 7 pro 64bit.

However, if you already purchased Win 7 pro 32bit all you need to do is download or get a hold of a 64bit cd and install it. The cd keys are interchangeable between 32/64 bits.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #138
NutWrench

Thanks, Carbon Rod!

Last but not least, will the hardware I linked to actually work with Win 7 pro 64-bit?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #139
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Thanks, Carbon Rod!

Last but not least, will the hardware I linked to actually work with Win 7 pro 64-bit?
yup!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #140
Phayzon

You could save some serious cash and get the i7 920 instead. I hear it can overclock to speeds above even the i7 975 easy.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #141
NutWrench

I don't want to push the CPU too hard. 4 cores at 3 Ghz each should be plenty. (How does hyperthreading work on the i7? Still 2 logical CPU threads per core?) I even looked at the i7 975 (4 core/3.33 Ghz) but they want a thousand dollars for it. The law of diminishing returns really kicks in above 2.8 Ghz or so.

Now, I just need to pick out memory and a great video card. The motherboard appears to support up to 24 Gigs of ram if I'm running Vista/Win7 64-bit. Since Windows 7 isn't available yet, I was planning to put the Sata Drive from my Win XP machine into the new computer. If I put 8 gigs of RAM into the new machine (use up 1 pair of slots), I assume Windows XP (32-bit) won't recognize more than 4 gigs until I upgrade the operating system, right? (Or will it not work at all?)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #142
NutWrench

Modular Power supply . . . .
This is a neat idea.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #143
Phayzon

Well actually, the i7 uses Triple Channel RAM, so youd be looking at 3/6/12GB of RAM. Also, you really wont be pushing the i7 920 at all if you just want to OC it to ~3GHz. Even if you dont OC, 2.66GHz on an i7 is still awesome
Whats your budget for a video card? If you can shell out $380 then an HD5870 is the best of the best. If youre a little more budget-oriented look at the HD4890 and GTX275.

EDIT: XP will recognize around 3GB of RAM. You also have to account for VRAM, which these days is usually 1GB (Nvidia uses some odd numbers on some of the GTX200's, but I believe the 275 is 1GB)
Last edited by Phayzon; 10-02-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #144
NutWrench

I ordered the case yesterday and the motherboard and CPU today.

I decided to get the 64-bit Vista Ultimate for around $200 because it comes with a Windows 7 upgrade coupon. I think I'll get a brand new 1 TB drive and do a fresh install of Vista instead of trying to run XP on the new computer. Then, I'll add the 500 Gig drive from my old computer later on. (I also have a 1 TB external USB drive for backups)

My budget is currently not a problem, so I'm going to go with the Radeon 5870 as my graphics card. Apparently, the Motherboard can support up to 3 video cards, so I can always add an extra one later on.

For memory, I chose this RAM (12 Gigs of Triple Channel DDR3). I don't know how they figure you can get 24 Gigs of RAM into this thing. The 12 Gigs takes up all 6 slots.)

The case should arrive in a few days and I hope to have all the parts by the end of next week. This is going to be interesting.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #145
Phayzon

Quote:
I don't know how they figure you can get 24 Gigs of RAM into this thing. The 12 Gigs takes up all 6 slots.)
I suppose in the future 4GB DIMMs will be availible (or rather, more common, I think I've seen a 4GB DIMM before but for an outrageous price).

Anyway, kickass setup you'll have there Wrenchy!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #146
8IronBob

When there are more Blu-ray burners on the market, and when blank Blu-ray media becomes more affordable, I may probably look into swapping out my DVD burner for one, but I doubt that'll be anytime soon.
Right now, Newegg seems to be selling the small brand BD Burner drives. They seemed to have sold out of LG burners that I was hoping to look into. Might as well see what comes down the pike.

EDIT: N/m, I see that Newegg not only has an LG burner, but free BD media from Verbatim. Might give that a whirl. Glad I found this just now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136164

Seems like there are some customers that complain about how well this may or may not work in the upcoming Win 7 release, but I have a hunch that it'll work out okay.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote:

Modular Power supply . . . .
This is a neat idea.
Corsair's had those for quite a few years already, I own their HX model, so modular PSUs are nothing new, as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 10-03-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #147
NutWrench

Yay! The case has arrived.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #148
Phayzon

Looks pretty badass!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #149
NutWrench

It has 4 fans, 7 5.25" bays and 5-6 3.5" bays at the bottom. Tons of airflow. There's also room in the upper back for a 2nd power supply (if necessary). The video is part of what convinced me to get it. That thing at the top front is for refilling a coolant reservoir (I won't be using that, though).

I'm hoping the motherboard and CPU arrive tomorrow and that everything else arrives by the end of the week.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #150
Nukkus

I just got a RAD new video card! It's an ASUS 7500LE 256mb with Turbocache! It runs Fallout 3 at 1fps, and when I try to play Crysis the computer locks up and makes awesome beeping noises!
So yeah, my BFG 9800GX2 died on me, and this is the card i bought to use in the meantime. It was $10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1250043986987f678fec.jpg (45.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #151
NutWrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukkus View Post
I just got a RAD new video card! It's an ASUS 7500LE 256mb with Turbocache! It runs Fallout 3 at 1fps, and when I try to play Crysis the computer locks up and makes awesome beeping noises!
I'm jealous!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #152
Nukkus

i just benchmarked DooM 3! 66.6 fps o_o
Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #153
Waiter

Waiting for Radeon HD 5850 to hit the stores so that I can play Risen. Seems to be my new graphic card.

I've only seen reviews of the reference cards, but if anyone stumbles over tests of the actual cards of the different brands, let me know.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #154
NutWrench

I ordered a Radeon 5870 through TigerDirect a few days ago. It should be arriving tomorrow, along with everything else. I'm going to be busy this weekend.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #155
Waiter

Are they already in stores over there?? Over here all the online stores are already listing them, but don't have them in stock yet. Rumors say friday is release day, but nothing for sure and I also canšt find one single test made with the actual retail cards.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #156
NutWrench

Did you try YouTube? ("radeon 5870") They list a couple of comparisons with the GTX295, as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #157
8IronBob

Got my LG BD-RW today codenamed "Super Multi Blue", and might as well swap out my DVD burner for this over the weekend, and prepare my PC for Win 7 in the process.

Good thought on the HD5870, tho. I'll have to wait for that to come back in stock, which most likely will NOT be in time for Win 7's release, I have a hunch.
Although, I'm certain that my 9800GTX+ may probably have a good year or two on it before obsolescence, most likely, time'll tell.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 10-07-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #158
Jiminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukkus View Post
So yeah, my BFG 9800GX2 died on me, and this is the card i bought to use in the meantime. It was $10.
hope you had registered, else you have a 1 year warrantee. my 8800gts just died also, they are sending another out. as a stopgap I picked up a GTS250, which is really the 8800gtx512 on a smaller die - for 100 bucks.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #159
Inanimate Carbon Rod

The 5870 comes in stock every day, just check this link a couple of times a day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #160
8IronBob

I stand corrected, it's a BD-R"E" drive, not BD-R"W", like there's a difference, anyway. I guess Sony coined the "E" instead of the "W" unlike DVD/CD burners.
Whatever the case, I'm just surprised that Media Center left out the support needed for that format. Ahh well, guess I'll look into SourceForge for open-source BD players.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 10-07-2009 at 05:33 PM.