Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #281
NutWrench

Re: The New Hardware Thread
I just ordered a 2nd Radeon 5870 for my computer and plan to run them in Crossfire/SLI mode.
I think I'm ready for anything, now.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 04-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #282
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
I just ordered a 2nd Radeon 5870 for my computer and plan to run them in Crossfire/SLI mode.
It's true... Looking at the games on the shelf today, and typical monitor resolutions, I don't even see that you'll have any great game changing improvement between one 5870, or two.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #283
8IronBob

Now Crossfiring 2 x 5850s may be something to consider, at least that may probably be more worth it for the short term.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #284
Mr.DJ
Just upgraded my rig.
I7 930 Intel CPU + a ThermalRight Venomous X cooler(world best air cooler)
12GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM Kingston Value(the amount is not so much for playing games, but because I play around with VST sounds and they need to be loaded into RAM).
Asus P6X58D Premium X58 motherboard(primary choosen for the USB 3 + SATA 6Gb features...plan on using it for a long while, so decicded I needed the features in order to make my upgrade futureproof enough.
And finally a ATI HD 5870 GFX card.

Edit: Oh forgot, I also needed to buy a new DVD-ROM as the motherboard lacked IDE support and the winner was an LG BH08LS20 Super Multi Blue, which should be among the best BlueRay drives(plextor offers faster drives, but with a lower MTBF...also, the internal eletronics is LG ;-) ).

Quote:
Nah, you still need a PhysX card...buy a 260gtx(216 core edition)and you should be pretty much covered! ;-)
Last edited by Mr.DJ; 04-12-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #285
Delicieuxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
It's true... Looking at the games on the shelf today, and typical monitor resolutions, I don't even see that you'll have any great game changing improvement between one 5870, or two.
Crysis/Crysis 2. Still will probably get an average of less than 50 FPS in Crysis @ 1920x1200 with no AA. I'd be interested to hear exactly what it does get, though.

------- --------

I just nabbed a SATA2 Caviar Black 1TB and OCZ 2x2gb ddr2 1066 RAM to replace my 4gb of 800 mhz RAM. This'll let me take out two of the HDD currently in my PC, leaving 2 in for a total of 1.5 TB, and put the other two into an older PC I have, which I'll use solely for audio recording, VHS transfer and misc storage.

I noticed there's a SATA 3 Caviar Black 1TB drive. Would there be a noticeable speed gain between SATA2 and SATA3? I read on WP:

Quote:
even the fastest conventional hard disk drives can barely saturate the original SATA 1.5 Gbit/s bandwidth
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Last edited by Delicieuxz; 04-12-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #286
NutWrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
Crysis/Crysis 2. Still will probably get an average of less than 50 FPS in Crysis @ 1920x1200 with no AA. I'd be interested to hear exactly what it does get, though.
I ran a 3DMark06 benchmark yesterday, just so I would have a baseline for comparison. I should get the new card by Wednesday. Maybe I'll run the Crysis Benchmark tool, too.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #287
NutWrench

Got the second video card installed today.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #288
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Got the second video card installed today.
Now if you tell me that you can only get 50FPS in Crysis with AA off, that would confirm my suspicions about it's fat, bloated, and overrated graphics.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #289
Delicieuxz

Crysis' graphics are in no way overrated. No other game comes even close, sadly.

No AA, medium-high jpeg quality:

http://i47.tinypic.com/25ukwer.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/abrxbt.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/oisqie.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2dsmukk.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2w7249s.jpg

The main thing I wish Crysis' graphics had done better is more tonal variety in tree leaves / palm branches. It's far too much of the same green.

But yeah, please tell us what FPS you get, NutWrench
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Last edited by Delicieuxz; 04-13-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #290
NutWrench

I tried out a few games. Framerate's in Crysis went from around 50 to mid 80s. In games like Far Cry 2, you can double your framerate.

From what I've read, games have to be specifically written to take advantage of SLI, which annoys me. I though the whole point of DirectX was so designers could avoid going through the hardware/driver level. I just assumed that DirectX would handle everything.. So an older game like Doom 3 will show almost no increase in framerates.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #291
KO Gilligan

Quote:
I tried out a few games. Framerate's in Crysis went from around 50 to mid 80s. In games like Far Cry 2, you can double your framerate.

From what I've read, games have to be specifically written to take advantage of SLI, which annoys me. I though the whole point of DirectX was so designers could avoid going through the hardware/driver level. I just assumed that DirectX would handle everything.. So an older game like Doom 3 will show almost no increase in framerates.
Yea, I had forgot about that. Games need to be written for it and I believe the chip maker needs to profile the games in the driver for optimal results or something...

There's a few games that actually increase in framerates when you turn SLI off. When Champions Online came out, neither Crossfire or SLI ran right at all and sometimes made the game unplayable until you disabled one GPU.

Today I bought this from the local Microcenter:

238097 Phenom II X3 Triple-Core Processor 720 Black Edition Boxed 1 $99.99 $99.99
561845 GA-MA785GM-US2H AM2+ 758G mATX Motherboard 1 $39.99 $39.99
Subtotal
$139.98
Tax $9.45

--------------RESERVATION TOTAL $149.43

It also comes with a $15 rebate from Gigabyte

I hear you can unlock the 4th core on that CPU with most of the Gigabyte boards
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 04-14-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #292
Phayzon

I had that CPU in a computer where I used to work and was able to unlock the 4th core. It was on an ASUS board though.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #293
8IronBob

Pulled the trigger on the 64GB iPod Touch. I was teeter-tottering between either getting this or the 16GB iPad, but I felt that larger storage capacity was better than a bigger screen. They both seem to do similar functions, last I checked. Looks like Amazon had a great price on that iPod Touch, too... With free shipping on top of that...yeah, no brainer for ~ $150 less than the iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Bye-bye Dell Axim, I'm surprise that thing actually still works after all these years, but just barely. I just feel that the iPod Touch is just much more fun. The PSP will probably be a gaming-only handheld for now.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 04-14-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #294
NutWrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Pulled the trigger on the 64GB iPod Touch. I was teeter-tottering between either getting this or the 16GB iPad, but I felt that larger storage capacity was better than a bigger screen. They both seem to do similar functions, last I checked.
I've got a 32 gig iPod Touch. They're really nice.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Here's a guy who linked THREE 5870's together. The music is pretty funny.
Interesting that his 3DMark Vantage benchmark scores are almost identical to my own (for 2 cards)
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #295
Delicieuxz

Quote:

Most games do support SLI, though. My 2 GTX 260's give a large performance boost compared with running just one of them.

I get mid 40s fps in Crysis in-game, but I got 34 fps while running the benchmark tool. My 50 fps guesstimate for your 5870 CF setup is with the benchmark tool.
Last edited by Delicieuxz; 04-14-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #296
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
Most games do support SLI, though. My 2 GTX 260's give a large performance boost compared with running just one of them.

I get mid 40s fps in Crysis in-game, but I got 34 fps while running the benchmark tool. My 50 fps guesstimate for your 5870 CF setup is with the benchmark tool.
40FPS is totally playable - after 60 I don't believe you can see a difference (the fact the monitor doesn't refresh quicker probably contributes to that fact )

Although if I'm playin a competitive MP game, I'll go for I higher FPS even if I have to reduce the resolution a bit, because it seems to improve my hits slightly - I wonder if it's because my machine is hammering the server with more update packets?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #297
Jeff

Had some stuff come up with one of my USB external hard drives as well as my Seagate 1 TB hard drive for backups had a few flags on it, so I just went ahead and fixed the glitch.

Bought a 2 TB WD Green hard drive.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #298
8IronBob

Added two rear satellite speakers and a left-channel subwoofer to my home theater speaker system to bring it up to a 7.2 from a 5.1.

Here's the 5.1 system and the receiver that I had for almost two years now:

Yamaha HTR-6160 (Basically a rebadged RX-V663):

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION
JBL Cinema Series CS480BG 5.1 Speaker System:

http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pa...=1&tsT=0&ovT=1

Here's what I added to it:
JBL CS400SATBG Satellite Speakers (Pair):

JBL CSS10 10-inch 150W Subwoofer for Cinema Series:

All in all, I believe that I went with a nice 7.2 addition, and quite frankly, JBL was probably the best bang for the buck I could find. I was originally thinking of Klipsch and Polk, but after listening to those, I felt that this system was just right for a 12x12 room.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #299
NutWrench

Nice!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #300
8IronBob

Yeah, I should've realized that JBL is actually the sister brand to Harman/Kardon. Which ever brand is the higher-end one, I'm not too certain. I believe Altec Lansing is the entry-level brand from them, I know that.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #301
KO Gilligan

JBL is definitely the economy vs the Harman/Kardon products, (at least in the past - not so much now) it's probably just the wrapper and some differences in the product lines...
Altec Lansing products don't compare - I know that much.

I posted several pages back about these JBL speakers I found for $2 at the second-hand store - they have amazing sound.
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpo...2&postcount=52
They have a 1 AMP 12V PS, so that kind of gives you a hint that they are a little beefier than they look.

EDIT: I was wrong... actually checking out the product lines, JBL is also the Professional Line as well as a history of premium home audio... and Harmon also makes Infinity. I remember when those were the most expensive thing you could buy.

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/history/...=US&Region=USA
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 04-30-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #302
8IronBob

Yeah, they also used to be a PC speaker label as well, but right now, I believe H/K took over the PC label, iirc... I remember the SoundSticks with that crystal ball subwoofer and that...ah yeah.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #303
Phayzon

My old laptop had JBL speakers, they were fantastic. The speakers I have in my laptop now are just kinda average, I miss having good sound quality on the go (or just away from my desk for that matter).
Old 05-07-2010, 02:41 AM   #304
gameorgamer

JBL speakers are fantastic.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #305
8IronBob

Got that right...good A/V Receiver it's hooked up to as well. Yamaha's usually found to be the "bang for the buck" sweet spot, just enough connectivity, and better audio processing quality than some of the others. Now I know that Onkyo has the best connectivity, but those can be such big fire hazards, that shied me away from even considering them. At least I can place a Yamaha on a TV stand shelf, and not have to worry about having more breathing room than it actually needs. Denon's nice, but very pricey. Pioneer, well, they are awesome, but just too towering tall.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #306
eddym4814

I ordered this XFX Radeon HD 4850 1GB video card today to replace the GeForce 210 that came with my computer.

It's an older card but should match up well with my Athlon II X2 240, 4GB DDR2 800 and a 20 inch monitor.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #307
hightreason

Ordered this the other day and it just arrived, I decided to get a gray one because I will inevitably run into another gray computer one day and I know I'd look back and be like "Damn, I should have got that one off ebay ) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matsushita-5-2...item4aa10602fe

I argue this is valid as some of the hardware you guys got is somewhat obsolete in many ways, and I'm excited because I can get back to playing with my 5 inch disks again, as my only drive broke down over two years ago. Also as you can probably tell I'm bored out of my skull. I'll be ordering more of this old crap soon so I might wait till I've ordered a load and list it in here for any of the boring old farts like me that like looking at old hardware.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Last edited by hightreason; 05-18-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #308
Jeff

Upgraded my router to a Dlink Wireless N gigabit router. Now my place has a gigabit network.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #309
Iggy

Got my very first laptop! HP Pavilion dv6-2120ed - Very complete device with Windows 7 64-bits, AMD Turion II, 15,6" LED screen, 320 GB HD, 4096MB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD-4650 (1024MB DDR3), W-LAN, DVD-reader/burner and a ton more.

Even includes a small remote. Me is happy now.
Last edited by Iggy; 05-25-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #310
8IronBob

Hmm...I'll have to see that one next time I visit a Best Buy or Wal-Mart, or anyone else like that...or wait, they probably won't have that particular model, will they?
Although, I do believe that Toshiba or Asus may have something quite similar to that...

EDIT: Hello, here's a good Qosmio with a GTS 360M, 4GB DDR3, Blu-ray, and an i7 CPU, whether or not that's one of the better gaming laptops right now, that's unclear, but it's a start:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Qosmio...sr=8-3-catcorr
Last edited by 8IronBob; 05-26-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #311
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Not exciting, but I am replacing a dying case fan.

Just bought two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103061
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #312
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
Not exciting, but I am replacing a dying case fan.

Just bought two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103061
We have those nearby at our local store for $5
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0312369

Most of the deals are in-store only.
http://www.microcenter.com/index.html

I could sell you a few with a cash MC receipt using our buyer protected paypal account, but after shipping and seller's costs you'd probably only save like 8 bucks or something, and considering the last DOA item I had was a Cooler Master memory cooler, I'd have to let you deal with the manufacturer

But same goes for anyone in our group who's in the US, I have a buyer protected PayPal account and would help at actual cost if you PM me and allow me a couple days to pick up for you.

The least I can do to for my fellow DNF grovelers.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #313
Inanimate Carbon Rod

I might take advantage of that offer next time. The fans are installed.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #314
Xgthug

My new XPS desktop:
Intel Core i7 Intel / 2.66 GHz,
RAM: 6 GB / 24 GB (max),
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit,
ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16 - Plug-in card, L2 cache, 8 MB.

I will get an ATI 5870 when money allows, (unless there's something better by then)
and we'll see how that handles 2x 23" touchscreen monitors and a 32" HDTV as a third output.

( oh yeah, and 2TB's of HDD space )
Last edited by Xgthug; 06-01-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #315
Niap!

Just ordered a Novint Falcon ---> http://home.novint.com/products/novint_falcon.php

I've been thinking of buying one for a while, ever since they added support for Valve games (L4D, HL2, TF2, Portal etc). FPS with the Pistol grip looks pretty badass . I've been meaning to check out the Penumbra games, also bought the Penumbra Pack (Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague and Penumbra: Requiem) with Falcon support.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #316
Jeff

Upgraded my old Canon Powershot A80 4 MP camera from 2004 to a Canon Powershot SD1400 IS 14 MP camera. Also got a 16 GB class 6 memory card to go with it.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #317
8IronBob

Similar to the camera I got for my old man a few months back, of course, the one I got him was the IS780, or something like that...I'm gonna have to look that up. It's the slim ELPH camera from 2009/2010 era. Can't remember now.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #318
hightreason

PSU died, shame, I just cut down on the energy used in that machine, so 750 Watt is enough (and the biggest PSU available here).

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/highpo...31655-pdt.html

Also had to replace the Emprex DVD-RW, I'll miss that drive, just a generic LG replacement. Got a new graphics card for an old computer so I can use the TV_Out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260618335949

^ Bargain. Gonna buy some old junk and water cooling soon.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #319
eddym4814

I won a IRONMAN 4GB flash drive from TweakTown and it came in today.

Last edited by eddym4814; 06-17-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #320
NutWrench

That's pretty cool.