Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #321
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Re: The New Hardware Thread
If I were to buy a new case it would have the same feature.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/20/t...tion-pc-enclo/

How often would I use it? Rarely to never, but when I did the port would be extremely handy.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #322
fast-1

Cool moe dee.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #323
8IronBob

LOL?! What exactly makes the Tt V9 BlacX better than an old mainstay in the Antec 900?
Gonna need a side-by-side comparison between the two.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #324
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Because it has a built in harddrive reader.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #325
fast-1

Why would that case need a hard drive bay. Next they'll have external graphic card connectors.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #326
8IronBob

External CPU/Heatsink may be next?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #327
peoplessi

Fractal-Design Define R2/R3 would be cheaper, better and more awesome. Only thing is, it's not available in the US unless you import it
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #328
eddym4814

My computer has a WD Caviar Blue 320GB hard drive. Newegg has a sale on that model right now for only $39.99 with free shipping so I ordered a second one for extra internal storage. I don't really need a lot of internal space since I have a 1TB NAS for backups and storage and a 500GB portable HDD for media files.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #329
peoplessi

For $30 more(Samsung F3 1TB) you could have more than tripled that storage, matching your NAS.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #330
KO Gilligan

Since we are on about storage, What would be the performance downside of having several SATA drives on a system, or several DVD drives for that matter. The new boards give you a ton of connectors - any harm in using them? They don't take much power.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #331
hightreason

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-1 View Post
Why would that case need a hard drive bay. Next they'll have external graphic card connectors.
Funny, me an a friend were joking about that some time ago... such a device exists already, I'm kind of tempted to invest in one.

Now, more on topic, I'm thinking of ordering my water cooling gear, unfortunately the pump and resivoir I want doesn't have an Ivory colored bezel, guess I'll have to find the paint or woodgrain again.

Edit: @KO Gilligan; Shouldn't cause any real problems, you might have to fiddle with the indexing service a bit or else that might cause slowdown. It's always cool to use an empty drive as a paging file, even though it slows things down, you can just sit there like "Yaaaaahh! I got a bigger page file than you! you suck!". Having run 12 PATA drives in one system I can say it causes no problems - unless the SATA controller is ass. look at those servers, they manage with a lot of drives.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Last edited by hightreason; 06-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #332
eddym4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
For $30 more(Samsung F3 1TB) you could have more than tripled that storage, matching your NAS.
That's true.

I guess I was thinking that the more space I have the more junk files I would wind up saving (and backing up) since space would not be an issue.

Edit: That doesn't make a lot of sense does it? I don't know. I am happy with the first drive and when I saw it on sale I ordered another one.
Last edited by eddym4814; 06-22-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #333
Iggy

I'm thinking of getting a notebook cooler for my laptop, I noticed the fans running at high speed even during normal desktop work and the air coming out of it feels a bit too warm for my liking. I got my eye on a Zalman ZM-NC3000U, anyone experienced with these coolers?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #334
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
LOL?! What exactly makes the Tt V9 BlacX better than an old mainstay in the Antec 900?
Gonna need a side-by-side comparison between the two.
Actually, take that back. Antec did make a case that uses a hard drive thingy, too...It's called the DF series:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129088
Old 07-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #335
8IronBob

Believe it or not, I'm actually looking at the possibility of 3D hardware soon. I notice that Acer has a 3D LCD out, and nVidia has 3D Glasses Kit for PC monitors that are 120Hz, so...I really can't be too sure if this would be something to look into or not. Wonder if ATI may have something in store for 3D in their future. Any ideas about this?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #336
peoplessi

Wait, no reason to rush into it. There's not much stuff taking advantage of 3D. nVidia is further in their 3D implementation. I wouldn't spent my money on them just yet. It's a area that will develop quickly.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #337
8IronBob

Yeah...thanks. Looks like nVidia requires a lot more than just the glasses and monitor...I just saw that now. Guess my HD5850 won't cut it, it has to be 2 x GTX 470s (minimum), 3 of those Acer or Alienware OptX monitors, and the glasses, thanks for talking me out of that... Like I said, who knows if AMD/ATI will even come up with 3D tech of their own at all. They already have Eyefinity, that's probably only the beginning.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #338
Jeff

Just bought myself a 46" Panasonic G25 plasma TV
Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #339
peoplessi

Niice, enjoy your movies then
Old 07-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #340
Jeff

Sounds good. I will. Think I'm more sensitive to motion blurring/juddering than most people. Heard plasma helps get rid of that.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #341
KO Gilligan

One of my favorite PC tech tools is the air compressor in my garage with the blowgun attachment. I like to make short work of those dust bunnies gathering around and collecting on my cooling components.

/emSilverbackGrunt

Note: I'm not particularly careful with the components, and I've never had an issue, but it is a good idea to grab any fan from spinning when you mega blast them - wouldn't want to spin them out of their sockets - and no need to go close up and remove capcitors with the airstream either.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 07-05-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #342
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Sounds good. I will. Think I'm more sensitive to motion blurring/juddering than most people. Heard plasma helps get rid of that.
Well, hate to break it to you, but I'm hearing that DLP is best when it comes to this...especially if you get an LED DLP, which is lower maintenance than a traditional bulb DLP. Wouldn't have minded getting at least a good 62 - 63" Samsung LED DLP myself, just as long as it handles 3D-Ready technology.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #343
Phayzon

My friend has a Sony DLP (non-LED) TV thats a few years old, and its hell on motion blur. I'm not sure how he can stand it.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #344
Jeff

Quote:
Well, hate to break it to you, but I'm hearing that DLP is best when it comes to this...especially if you get an LED DLP, which is lower maintenance than a traditional bulb DLP. Wouldn't have minded getting at least a good 62 - 63" Samsung LED DLP myself, just as long as it handles 3D-Ready technology.
I don't even think they make those kind of TVs anymore. Couldn't find any. Besides, I've done my homework. Plasma is the one to get.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #345
peoplessi

Quote:
You "hear" a lot of things that are untrue
Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #346
Jeff

Only issue I heard about with plasma was phosphor trails, but I heard the newest models have more or less eliminated them. I wonder if I noticed motion blurring that I would notice the phosphor lag too?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #347
peoplessi

In modern Plasma's it shouldn't be visible at all, but we are all unique. DLP is somewhat bigger divider.

Motion and blacks should be better in proper plasma screen.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #348
KO Gilligan

Somebody told me that on the big screens Plasma is superior regarding blur.

I'm an old timer and the thing that kills me is how new TV's have a short relative life until you need to replace stuff. There are a few of us who have TVs from the 80s that still have the same decent picture and have never been serviced in 20 or 30 years. Which display is the one that lasts, or has an economical maintenance cyle, like replacing bulbs and stuff?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #349
Jeff

TV just arrived about an hour ago. Took some time setting it up. Had to mount it on the stand, move the old TV and lift the new TV onto the current stand.

Oh wow. The color is better. The motion blur/judder is gone (aside from that one X-Files episode, which I think it's the source). Think I'm going to like this TV.
Last edited by Jeff; 07-09-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #350
NutWrench

Nice!
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #351
Jeff

Just need to turn it off when I'm finished with it (The image retention thing. Or is that burn in? I forget). Unlike an LCD where you can leave it on and it won't do anything that I'm aware of. Also, I've been told to set my contrast to 50% for a few months, then I can put it back to normal. And, my fears of seeing those phosphor trails seem to be gone because I watched a short action clip and didn't see anything.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #352
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Congrats on the new tv.

Look around the internet for recommended color settings for your model.

My Panasonic plasma has been going strong for over two years now.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #353
Jeff

Thanks, will do.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #354
Zero Hour

Smile Re: The New Hardware Thread
I scored a few things off that auction site ya know, and I was going to send them to a friend to upgrade his, but then I decided I'd sell some setups I had built to gather some cash and bought him a nice am3 setup with cpu and ddr3 1600. All fine and dandy (Those Phenom 555's are hellacious! I've unlocked 2 out of 3 successfully with no voltage changes and stable prime95 tests), but

Anyway, I decided I would keep the Asus M3N72-D i got off ebay. I learned it would take a phenom II 965, so I got it via boss' card and it came outta a couple paychecks :P ALONG WITH an OCZ Agility 2 50GB Solid State Drive.... zomg. I know I'm only trucking ddr2 800, but this setup has been nice so far. I made the mistake of sending the good heatsink that comes with the 965 to my friend for his unlocked 555 because I thought what I had was good enough, but I was wrong because when placing all 4 cores of the 965 under heavy load you're in for trouble. With the 965 snatching data from the OCZ ssd, I get about a 20second load time from when bios reads hard drive to initialize a boot, to at the desktop Opening IE 8 (instantly opens btw).

I know the 965 is no longer the flagship, but if you've an older am2+ board, won't support a hexcore, and don't want to go through the hassle of replacing board and ram yet, that and an SSD will still load some Hi-Res Duke3D just about instantly and you can of course put these parts on your next build with an AM3 and ddr3 if you want. wo0t
Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #355
Niap!

Bought a pair of Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA2's

Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #356
KO Gilligan

Which is the best CPU?

Each of these are $99 and I get a free Biostar 785 DDR3 board in a promtional bundle (or a nice discount on a Gigabyte board).

• AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz Boxed Processor

• Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Processor Boxed
(Dual Core 3.2GHz with a 6MB level 3 cache)

I'm actually leaning towards the Phenom

Tom's charts do not show either of these processors, but they do put the Phenom X2 550 just above the Athlon X4 630
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #357
eddym4814

They are both listed right HERE at Tom's.

They tell you some of the pro's and con's of both CPU's and link to more info.

For everyday use the Phenom will be faster for single threaded applications and the Athlon will be faster in multi-threaded apps. I would go with the Athlon based on the reviews I have read.

Edit: Here is the Gaming CPU Heirarchy Chart.

Also HERE is a comparison of the two CPU's from another site.
Last edited by eddym4814; 07-21-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #358
Nessus

I just got a Mac. It's not really so much a hardware purchase as it is a lifestyle change. I dont know how to do anything. Spinning beachball, I'll just ctrl alt del, oh wait. Ok I'll just end the process...wait I don't know how to do that either. Now I know how my parents feel when they stumble into the control panel.

I couldn't even figure out how to view pictures inside a folder. I could see one at a time but could not go to the next one?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #359
eddym4814

Mac for Dummies is a good place to start.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #360
Kristian Joensen

Bought a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini while on vacation in London. I am really loving it so far, was a bit worried about buying a touch screen phone but so far this is by far the easiest phone to use that I have ever owned. I am very pleased with my purchase so far.