Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2 View Post
I buy now.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #483
Reaper

Re: Good Old Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I need to jump on the Good Ol' Games bandwagon one of these days, but I don't have much time for playing games on the PC (and probably won't for another year or two), so I'm afraid I'd buy them and then they'd just sit there.

Decisions, decision...
If you don't have time, it's not worth it. I wasted my money buying 6 or 7 games and I've yet to play any (too much Mass Effect and Dragon Quest on the 360 and DS respectively).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post
i got descent 1 & 2, and also mdk, damn, who the hell stole my mdk disk back in the day!
I got all the Descents and Freespaces, same with MDK 1 + 2.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #484
KO Gilligan

Let's see.... save up for the inevitable Video Card upgrade, or instant gratification with sentimental value?

Hmmm
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #485
Nessus

Quote:
I still have have the key chain that came with Manhattan Project.
Cool.

I'm actually still using my Max Payne mouse pad. It's like 8 years old now.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #486
Phayzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
Cool.

Until about a year ago Ive been using my Duke3D mousepad, but I stashed it away to avoid future damages.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #487
Qbix
DOSBox Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-vercetti View Post
Now, what I need is a release date for blake stone...
usually they release 2 games a week.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #488
Water12356

Duke Nukem: MP and Blake Stone are now avaible! Im downloading DNMP as we speak.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #489
Micki!

If i wasn't trying to save money this month, i'd totally get the remaining apogee games there now...

They're on my list though...
Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #490
ShadeEX

All I need now is Planet Strike..

And for GOG to release all the other 3D Realms / Apogee / Pinball Wizards games

Like Shadow Warrior, Monster Bash, Whacky Wheels etc.
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #491
Simon Charles

Ahh... Blake Stone. Good memories. I think it was the first game to have health stations, food machines and friendly scientists/NPCs. Always felt Half-Life borrowed that from Blake.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #492
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: Good Old Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
If you don't have time, it's not worth it. I wasted my money buying 6 or 7 games and I've yet to play any (too much Mass Effect and Dragon Quest on the 360 and DS respectively).
In my case it's night classes sucking up my leisure time, but it's still very tempting to expand my game collection even though it could be months or even years before I have time play them. These days my DS is my primary gaming system since I can play it anywhere. It's the "sit down for hours at a time" games that I don't have the time for like I used to.

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #493
Mountain Man

Well, I finally bit the bullet and completed my first Good Old Games transaction. Wow was it easy! Select your purchases, type in your credit card number, and download. I can see why some of you guys are so addicted to it.

My first two games: Duke Nukem Atomic Edition and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. Hey, gotta support the 3DR crew, right?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #494
SonnyBonds

Cool, sounds great. I haven't bought anything from them yet but I definitely will once I run out of games to play.

I see they support PayPal too, which will make it even easier for me.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #495
Phayzon

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/pro_pinball_timeshock

I actually just found my old CD for that game the other day. I didnt think it was ever popular
Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #496
0marTheZealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
Cool.

I had my DN3D mouse pad until like 3 years ago.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #497
Simon Charles

Quote:
Yeah, "borrow" is a big understatement.
LOL! So they were the first to feature those gameplay elements? Blakestone and ROTT have a special place in my heart, even more than the original Wolf3D. And that's saying a lot. I remember trembling with fear every time I heard a machine-gun toting nazi in W3D and those scientists in Blakestone were no different. I can still remember all the level layouts.

Good times from the golden days.

-Hercule Poirot
Last edited by Simon Charles; 03-14-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #498
Simon Charles

Ah, Corridor 7, more good memories... So few people remember the old classics anymore.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #499
Phayzon

Corridor 7... now that needs to make its way to GoG some day I'd love to be able to play that again.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #500
Reaper

Gameplay has always mattered. It's just out of balance right now with all the shiny normal-mapped models and geometry these days.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #501
Mountain Man

As I like to say, good gameplay never becomes obsolete. That's why games made 20+ years ago are just as much fun today as they were when they were first released.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #502
Rassilon

I just bought both Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus.
I hope the next Oddworld game is on PC.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #503

Some interesting new additions. I haven't played Jack Orlando before, but I will now - it looks cool.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #504
Mountain Man

Far Cry? That's a fairly recent game. I thought their business model was selling "abandonware" games.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #505
SonnyBonds

Biggest selling point for me is the non-DRM thing. I don't care if the games are old, as long as they're games I like.. having DRM free versions is awesome.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #506
hanged_man

Prince of Persia SOT is also available now. Now that's a great game for anyone who haven't played it yet. I have to find my copy and play it again.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #507
Bad Sector

Quote:
Far Cry? That's a fairly recent game. I thought their business model was selling "abandonware" games.
Their business model is selling "Old" games and "Old" is something relative. Far Cry is technically an "Old" game since it was released five years ago. There are newer games on GoG btw. I assume "Old" in GoG's context means something closer to "old enough to not be available in retail stores" than anything else.

Which is a good thing because i prefer GoG's service so far to anything else, Steam included. They seem to actually care about the games being there and the people who support them.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #508
Stense

I've already picked it up on Steam so probably wont get it on GoG, but Beyond Good and Evil is a damned good game that is worth checking out if you haven't already. Nice to see it getting around a bit more.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #509
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
And I thought their business models was selling "good" games.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #510
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
And I thought their business models was selling "good" games.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #511
Mountain Man

No invisible walls, true. Instead, it had a helicopter that would suddenly appear and insta-kill you. Personally, I would have preferred invisible walls. My primary complaint with the game was its atrocious checkpoint save system. A checkpoint save system in a game with free form levels. I still have no idea what the developers were thinking.

Yes, I know you can manually save with cheats, but everything I've read tells me that's a good way to break your game.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #512
ZuljinRaynor

The AI and checkpoint system both were bullshit. Not to mention when it takes 10 headshots with a assualt rifle to kill a dude.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #513
SonnyBonds

Far Cry is a wonderful game, and it's not as frustrating as people make it out to be. I like it better than many other and more popular shooters.
Great addition to GoG.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #514
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
The AI and checkpoint system both were bullshit. Not to mention when it takes 10 headshots with a assualt rifle to kill a dude.
Exaggerating much? Yes, the enemies took a lot of damage when shot in the chest, but head shots were pretty much one hit kills.
But the AI's superhuman hearing was my only gripe with it.

But yes, the checkpoint system was horrible. And this was the first time I felt CryTek were full of it. They promised after the game was released they would patch in a quicksave/quickload feature. But never did.

And when asked about it... had nothing to say.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #515
Karthik
Question, have they fixed the dual core bug for POPSOT? Also I remember Beyond Good n Evil having a nasty bug which drags your framerate if you set water settings to maximum.

Ubisoft needs to bring in the rest of the POP games and the Gamer's Edition of King Kong.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #516
ShadeEX

For the dual core issue with Sands of Time GOG will be using their gogwrappper (gogwrap.exe) since with that they can force affinity settings to a certain core..

They did the same with Kingpin Life of Crime where the affinity core is set too 3.. You can always change it in the registry however if you want it set to something else..

Quote:
Just look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GOG.com\ all games should have their registry settings there

Look for the string values AFFINITY & AFFINITYCORE

AFFINITY turns affinity on and off
and AFFINITYCORE choses the core the affinity is set too
And in reguards to the Watter Setting issue with Beyond Good & Evil that's something Ubisoft has to fix.. Wich I sincerely doubt they did sadly
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 03-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #517
Karthik
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeEX View Post
For the dual core issue with Sands of Time GOG will be using their gogwrappper (gogwrap.exe) since with that they can force affinity settings to a certain core..

They did the same with Kingpin Life of Crime where the affinity core is set too 3.. You can always change it in the registry however if you want it set to something else..

And in reguards to the Watter Setting issue with Beyond Good & Evil that's something Ubisoft has to fix.. Wich I sincerely doubt they did sadly
Can't blame them, the team that handled the PC version isn't in Ubisoft anymore. Even if they did fix it Nvidia and ATi will somehow find a way to break em.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #518
SonnyBonds

Yeah, we'll need some good Windows emulators later on, something better than Virtual PC and VMWare (those two aren't bad but there is TONS of room for improvement when it comes to running games).

Anyway, trouble with sites like these is it's too easy spending money! Just got a few Revolution games.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #519
Karthik
Quote:
This is really shaping up to be a big problem with older windows based games. Problems with dual core affinities, graphical corruption, and plain modern windows incompatibilities. Seems like the best way to play these older windows games is either : a)Try running them in a virtual environment or b) Build an older computer to play them there.
Let's not forget to add drivers to that list.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:12 AM   #520
gt1750

Just joined GOG and purchased these games:

Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
Redneck Rampage Collection
TOCA Race Driver 3

I already have the Duke games but I don't really mind paying for them once again And I'm really looking forward to play un-StarForced TOCA RD3.

"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D
"One day when I get rich and win the lottery I'll buy the rights to DNF and finish it myself." - Yatta