Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #2961
dan2091

Re: What was the last game you played Pt 28?
More Wang for me, too!
Spoiler:
Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #2962
Kalki

Me 3. I'm at the shipyard level. Whoever did the art design on this game should get an award.

Spoiler:
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #2963
KO Gilligan

Spoiler:

After playing with the colors, the bamboo fields came to life. They were glowing yet blurry and muddy before. It was really nauseating before (I don't have a better word for how much I was struggling with the look). Not sure what I did but mostly I turned things up, and I turned off the blur that's on the other options page where you change the reticule.

Now that I got the graphics tweeked, the only complaint about the design is:
It's often bland
The color combinations are overdone
You can't jump up on or over anything

I suppose they could have spent another two years on it to fix it to my liking...
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-10-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #2964
Thief

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
I'm about 89 hours into my campaign, and I still have two full regions left to explore. Completed some 170 quests so far. Two Worlds II currently holds my record (94 hours) for most time spent in a single RPG campaign before finishing the main story, but that won't hold up much longer.
The Destiny system really expands the possibilities of play-style, and the combat is probably the best I've played in any RPG, but that is, of course, entirely subjective.

Also finished Ms. 'Splosion Man last night. A surprisingly difficult (at times very), but expertly designed platformer. Grand in scope (you'll know what I mean if you've played it), highly polished and extremely funny.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2965
Nihilanth

Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall

What can I say, a quality set of missions. They easily keep the high level of the main game. Finished it without killing anyone.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #2966
dan2091

Dishonored, as well. Finally got it, bought the GOTY edition while it was on sale at Amazon.
I haven't even gotten too far, nor have I got any superpower of sorts, but I already love it because of the freedom you got to take choices on how to approach every scene.

--

Also got GTA V and Far Cry 3. I haven't been disappointed with my purchases. All of them are great games, but Dishonored was the one that caught my attention the most, what a nice setting.

About GTA V. I like GTA, but this one is different. Has changed for the better. Shooting mechanics are vastly improved and it's a more polished experience.

Spoiler:
Last edited by dan2091; 12-22-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #2967
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Dead Island: Riptide

I got it when it came out, played a few hours... then, something else distracted me away from it. Now, with Dying Light coming next year... I decided to go back and finish it.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #2968
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Dead Island: Riptide
Proof that no matter how many zombie shooters there may be, there's always the possibility of a design that's new and fun.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #2969
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

It's why I'm excited for Dying Light.
It looks to take everything I loved about Dead Island, and improve upon it.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 12-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #2970
Nihilanth

Finished Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches. Of course without killing anyone.

Overally both DLCs were pretty good but out of the two, I prefer The Knife. Witches felt a bit less focused in my opinion. Still, good stuff, no screw ups, great levels. Dishonored is awesome.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #2971
Morbid

Dying Light is like a Dead Island 2.0 though, I anticipate Hellraid much more.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #2972
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

It's a funny way or phrasing that, considering Hellraid is Dead Island reskinned.
That's actually all it is, Techland even said it started as a mod for Dead Island... and they liked it, so they are going to release is.

And, if Dying Light is Dead Island 2.0... that's great. Loved Dead Island, and more of it is great.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #2973
fast-1

Alan Wake it is a tough game.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #2974
Thief

Started Rise of the Triad 2013 a few days ago. Just starting the second episode.
Never played the original, but I'm definitely enjoying this and am having no performance problems. The soundtrack is surprisingly awesome, especially the song 'Task Force'. Had no idea the original had such awesome music. Some annoying bugs though, especially where your pistols just stop firing and you're no longer able to switch weapons. I've also noticed a few spelling mistakes and for whatever reason my stats chart is all screwed up and doesn't reflect how well/poorly I did on some levels.

Also started Volgarr the Viking the other day. Damn hard 2D brawler/platformer. Only one checkpoint at the halfway point of the level, which leaves the other half of the level and the boss to defeat before progress is saved again.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Last edited by Thief; 12-26-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #2975
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Lost Planet 3

So far, not bad. Which is surprising given who developed it.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #2976
dan2091

Enjoying the holidays, gaming more than ever .

Far Cry 3 coop campaigns with a friend of mine. It's so friggin' riddled with bugs... I find it entertaining enough to still give it a try despite it made the X360 freeze once.

Quake 2 and RTCWolf, both coop with my little nephew. It's awesome to go with someone in this kind of game, trying to find all the secrets and get 100%... We don't get all the secrets, though .

And more GTA 5... Awesome so far.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #2977
KO Gilligan

Quote:
It's a funny way or phrasing that, considering Hellraid is Dead Island reskinned.
That's actually all it is, Techland even said it started as a mod for Dead Island... and they liked it, so they are going to release is.

And, if Dying Light is Dead Island 2.0... that's great. Loved Dead Island, and more of it is great.
I was referring to the original Dead Island - I expected Dying Light to be mostly more of the same. I'm only waiting to get it on sale... and I'll keep an eye on Hellraid too.

Been playing more Shadow Warrior

and trying Clive Barker's Jericho... There are definitely a few moments of fun scattered along the way. I'm thinking they weren't expecting me to laugh at the content so much - there is no way to take the story serious - it's really bad, funny bad. Hoping it gets a little better. Struggling with the first place you really need the body switch mechanic - I'm not good at blowing up the pill boxes.

Can't get the Apogee throwback pack to launch. Since I fixed the PhysX issue that had effected a few games, this makes the Apogee pack the only thing that won't run in my Steam account of about 300 games.

Jericho
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-29-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #2978
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I was referring to the original Dead Island - I expected Dying Light to be mostly more of the same. I'm only waiting to get it on sale... and I'll keep an eye on Hellraid too.
I was replying to Morbid's post... but, okay.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #2979
KO Gilligan

Quote:
I was replying to Morbid's post... but, okay.
I was like... agreeing with you... and stuff. I'm not always the brightest light on the tree, you know
Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #2980
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Spiffy.

I'm looking forward to Hellraid as well. It reminded me of Hexen with the screenshots and trailer they released.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #2981
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yay for a double post...

Resident Evil 6

Finished Leon's campaign. And, it starts off pretty weak. The actually first few minutes seem really good... moody, dark, atmospheric... but the second chapter is just awful.
Once you reach the third chapter it starts getting better, and as an action game is okay by the end.
But, for a Resident Evil game... so far, I'm not really impressed.

I still have a LOT of game left with three other campaigns... so, we'll see how my opinion holds up at the end.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #2982
December Man

Oh man, Chris' campaign is just... I finished it, uninstalled the game and never looked back.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #2983
KO Gilligan

Metro: Last Light
$10.87 with January's GameFly code

Kinda fun so far - very story based/linear game. The DX11 effects stirs the fog and the destructible everything leaves some very phony looking persistent debris floating a half of an inch above the floor - Best-eva @ shooting any light out with matching fallen glass! So their state-of-the art graphics are "meh", but I'm glad they were still raising the bar in some areas.

It's certainly not 2033 either , but it's OK... except right now I'm stuck in a poison room where the Red Line was doing experiments or something. I made short work of them and even picked up their filters, but I can't find an exit. There's a little room where I can breath easy that has a door with no handle, and some drain grate tunnels under the room - this makes no sense. Off to the online walkthroughs I go

cropped/resized/slightly touched-up photo I took of some Red Line entertainers
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 01-09-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #2984
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Playing through Last Light as well.

Personally, it's miles above and better then 2033 was. 2033 looked great, but was extremely flawed gameplay wise and the story was crap.
Last Light has a much stronger story, it's also features much better writing and direction.
And the gameplay has been improved a LOT. Stealth is actually a viable option now since the AI works.

Last edited by Damien_Azreal; 01-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #2985
KO Gilligan

There is a solid story this time. I'm currently unable to progress because my shotgun reloading seems too slow for the part where I ring the bells for rescue - he rings back and all the leaping lizards come out. I think I've gotten close, I put myself in a corner to defend and I get about 7 or 8 of them in a pile, and then they overwhelm me. I have no machine gun at the moment. Didn't know it would come in handy.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #2986
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

AND NOW... for something that seems completely out of character for me...

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Zuljin gifted it to me, telling me I would like because it was more in line with Devil May Cry then Metal Gear Solid.
And... he's right. I really, really like it so far. And I HATE the Metal Gear Solid games.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #2987
Thief

Finished a few titles since my last post.

Rise of the Triad
Never have I gotten stock on level geometry as much as I did in this game. Quite aggravating. Aside from that, the game was great fun. Smooth sailing all the way through on patch 1.3. The (whole) ending was awesome.

Remember Me
This was the only game I wanted to get during the Steam Christmas sale, and for some reason, it was never part of the daily deals, but only as part of the Community Vote sale. Thankfully it won.
Very awesome game. One of the coolest gameworlds ever. Great artistic design, set-pieces and boss battles. Yes, the game is linear, and it holds your hand way more than it should, but I didn't mind that stuff so much. It was highly entertaining. I enjoyed the combat and the custom combos, remixing memories was confusing at first, but very cool once understood, and the story was well told. Nilin is a great female lead.

Dead Space 3
What a thrill ride!! The game is so epic! It was also very cool how they implemented some sandbox-light elements into it. Awesome suits. Awesome weapon possibilities. What a great trilogy.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #2988
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Since I got it as a Christmas gift... figured I should play it. So... here's...

Call of Duty: Ghosts

And... it's Call of Duty.
So, the story is completely throw away. The characters are lifeless and forgettable.
Visually... it's not next gen. Nowhere near it.
At times, Modern Warfare 2 looks better. And big problem, the game is horribly optimized.

I get better performance from Crysis 3 or FarCry 3. And they both look WAY better.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #2989
NutWrench

I'm doing the Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep DLC in Borderlands 2. It's really amazing. there's enough content in this DLC for it to be a standalone game.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #2990
Thief

Six years after its release, I've finally started my first Fallout 3 campaign.
A truly fascinating gameworld to explore. Beautiful scenery...wow. I'm about 20 hours in and I just discovered the Treeminders' Oasis. Pretty cool. Hoping to find some better armor soon...I've been wearing and repairing the same Talon Combat Armor for quite some time now.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #2991
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Unless you feel like lugging around the Power Armor, there's not really better armor out there.
I tend to play the entire game with a duster/trench coat and cowboy hat.
Mostly because the power armor slows you down if your stats aren't built to handle it.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #2992
Thief

A trench coat and cowboy hat as your protection? Brave. The game was pretty unforgiving for the first ten or so hours. I'm still finding it pretty hard at times. Getting ambushed sucks. Deathclaws and Yao Guais suck.

Yeah, I've come across the BoS Outcasts a bunch of times now. Ever since I saw one of their Protectors die, whose body I then proceeded to loot, and used a key I found to infiltrate Fort Independence, they've been hostile. I was stoked to loot the power armor, only to be extremely disappointed when the "Power Armor training required" message appeared. Then I noticed the penalties and realized it wasn't so great.

Explore, fight, salvage, sell, repeat. Awesome.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #2993
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Now that I've gotten past the opening section, I can really start sneaking around.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #2994
Thief

Just finished Fallout 3.
Was having an amazing time with it until I hit the absolutely ridiculous level cap. 20? Really? I had gotten as far as discovering where to go to find the G.E.C.K. in the main story line when I capped out. I only had the Nuka-Cola Challenge left to complete as far as side quests go, so I bee-lined it to the end of the game. Man, the level cap has tarnished my whole experience with this game. I discovered just now that I missed only 3 side-quests. My final game time was 51 hours. Seems too short for a game of this size.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #2995
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief View Post
Just finished Fallout 3.
Was having an amazing time with it until I hit the absolutely ridiculous level cap. 20? Really? I had gotten as far as discovering where to go to find the G.E.C.K. in the main story line when I capped out. I only had the Nuka-Cola Challenge left to complete as far as side quests go, so I bee-lined it to the end of the game. Man, the level cap has tarnished my whole experience with this game. I discovered just now that I missed only 3 side-quests. My final game time was 51 hours. Seems too short for a game of this size.
If the Nexus mods for Fallout 3 are anything like New Vegas, you could probably play enough new content and game fixes to keep you going for a very long time.

The site is down for maintenance at the moment...
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #2996
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Some of the DLC for Fallout 3 adds additional levels, I think up to 30. IIRC it's the Broken Steal DLC that adds the additional levels.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #2997
Thief

Rayman Origins

Wacky, spectacular, beautiful. Tons of variety in enemies, bosses, level design, level themes, characters to choose from, and gameplay scenarios. The "chase" levels are particularly fun. I was originally going to play this on the side while playing Assassin's Creed Revelations, but 12 hours of Rayman later, I haven't even thought of starting Revelations. So far I've collected 201/246 Electoons and 8/10 Ruby Skull Teeth.
Most definitely going to buy Rayman Legends during one of the Steam sales. Rayman rocks! (though I actually enjoy using the teensies more )
Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #2998
Nihilanth

RAGE looks freaking awful. Horrible, horrible texture quality, it's so ugly I simply can't stand it. id is a shadow of its former self. Bring back Romero.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #2999
Kit

Holy shat at those Rage shots

Just thought I'd ask, what games have the most awesome use of tessellation?

Currently playing a bit of Crysis 2 and the effect seems hit and miss; some walls look incredible some look flat.

Haven't upgraded in years but based on playing Crysis 2 and Arkham City my 6870 can still close to max out at 1920x1200 - did not think I'd be saying that so long after purchasing such a random card!

Liking those Revengeance shots btw but the blur going on is a bit too intense - makes it look like it's been upscaled.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #3000
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Crysis 3 makes much better use of tessellation, mostly because it was built from the ground up with the effect.
Unlike Crysis 2 which had it half-assed added in with a lazy patch.

Honestly, not many games have made "awesome" use of it. A few use it here and there, and it occasionally looks nice. But... I'm still not convinced it's a must have feature.