Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #3001
Nihilanth

Re: What was the last game you played Pt 28?
'RAGE looks like crap' series continue.

Started a new campaign. Decided not to cheat by choosing the Crimson Elite armor, and went for Fabricator. I thought it only increases the amount of items crafted and boosts Apophis Infusion but apparently it has all sorts of other benefits as well.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #3002
Thief

Finished Rayman Origins.
Didn't collect all the Electoons because I didn't feel like doing time trial runs for the last 9 levels, but I got all Ruby Skull Teeth, unlocking the Land of the Livid Dead level (absurdly difficult), which gave me the true ending once I passed it. 17 hours of awesome platformer-age.

Starting Assassin's Creed Revelations. Looking forward to seeing how Ezio's storyline concludes.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #3003
Kalki

Tried out some Loadout - multiplayer is not my thing but this was free, and the zany, arcadey action caught my eye. Fun like Duke, this has a more Saint's Row style & I haven't gotten to explore the customized weapons in detail.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #3004
KO Gilligan

Dragon Siege III.

It's a really pretty dungeon RPG, and I like the skill tree and loot prospects. I can not, however, master the extended button mashing you need for the Boss I'm fighting. Her minions are easy to dispense, and it's pretty easy to block or evade her blows. But I put it on easy level, and I still can't outlast her and her swarm of L4D2-style horde.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #3005
KO Gilligan

Deep Silver Week deals
lots of stuff at Humble Bundle
DI:Riptide and Epidemic (alpha) for $7.49

is that a good deal?
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...eepsilver_week
Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #3006
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

If you liked Dead Island, Riptide is more of the same. It has no improvements. The quest log is changed a bit... but everything is identical as the original.

I'd say, for 7 bucks... it's worth it. I'm at the 20 hour mark, and not finished.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #3007
KO Gilligan

I figured it was a great deal for $7
I'm still playing the first one, and love it

Epidemic is a co-op, zombie fighting, looking from top-down, MP Arena (MOBA) game that I have zero interest in
http://www.deadislandepidemic.com/
Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #3008
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yeah, I have no interest in Epidemic.
And, since it's not made by Techland... even less interest.

Thief

So far, I love it.
Which has also been the general feeling from a lot of other people I've talked to who played it.
The majority of the negativity around it... comes from people who can't let go of the original Thief games enough to go into this one with an open mind.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #3009
Jeff

Lockheed Martin Prepar3D 2.1

This is not FSX, but rather Lockheed licensed the source code from Microsoft and continued working on it after MS canned development on FSX in 2009. Upgraded it from DX10 to DX11, 64-bit (soon), as well as quad-SLI optimized (next patch). Still requires a ton of GPU power to render everything though (sitting at 99% in this screenshot). Rendering a small game world is nothing to rendering the whole Earth little bits at a time. That is why it doesn't render as fast as your average game.
Last edited by Jeff; 03-05-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #3010
KO Gilligan

Kane and Lynch 2

I was pretty vocal about how bad the demo sucked, and had no interest in buying it. Got it in a bundle deal.

I'm a self healing bullet sponge running HUD guided down a track/gauntlet - it feels very awkward to me, but I may adjust to it enough to play it through and get some enjoyment out of it.

I was most looking forward to the ridiculously funny clipping issues I remember from the demo...was not disappointed
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 03-05-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #3011
Kalki

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #3012
Rapture_Rising

I have been playing South Park: The Stick of Truth and so far i am loving it. I'm not a fan of RPG's and i suppose you could call it turn based but for someone who doesn't play many RPG's (like me) it's not that hard to learn all the mechanics.

I love the look of the game, it's not like other games based of cartoons (the PS2 era Simpsons games come to mind) where they try to render the characters in 3D that imo doesn't quite work but the devs have made it look like the show and it works quite effectively, if there were to be a new Simpsons game in the future this is the style they have to use, that is to make it look like the show and not 3D.

The game itself is packed with the same brand of absurd, politically incorrect humour as the show and if you are not a fan then this game probably isn't for you but i am having fun with it.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #3013
fast-1

Deus Ex: Human Revolution with a fish.
Last edited by fast-1; 03-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #3014
Avoozl

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #3015
NutWrench

Dishonored. I really wanted a pure stealth game like Thief 4, but Dishonored looked more fun. Also, I really enjoyed the fantastical elements of Thief 3 and don't want to play another Assasin's Creed type game. I'm open to changing my mind, though.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #3016
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Thief and DisHonored are actually really different.
They both focus on stealth, but for different reasons. Corvo in DisHonored is a more effective killer in stealth.
The game is built around your ability to silently dispatch the opposition. Making combat something you can still do, but as you wish.

Thief... is stealth because it's your life. Your purpose is to steal... and not be found. Garrett is fragile. He's fast and agile, but weak and in direct combat you'll go down quicker then most players are used to.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #3017
dan2091

Dishonored actually reminded me a lot of the original Deus Ex.

Anyway, just finished The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past for the first time ever (GBA version)! Not sure if I will consider it one of my favourites in the long term, but it's easily one of the best games ever done.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #3018
Jeff

Diablo 3

Trying out the new patch they released for it (2.0.3). Haven't played since 1.0.4. Completely overhauls the game. Gold and real money auction house have been eliminated from the game. Items are very useful and have worthwhile upgrades and stats. Unlike before where the good stuff came from the AH/RMAH (pay/farm gold to win/progress), and most of the world drops were vendor food.

Overall, I like the new changes. Really enjoying it so far. I rerolled fresh, and am on Act 3.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #3019
KO Gilligan

Shattered Horizon

The controls are surprisingly easy to get used to. Floating in space makes it control like a space combat game rather than a first person shooter. The reality of the rail gun is that I think it was "balanced" against the other weapons. I suppose it would be unbeatable in real life - in the game it's very awkward

... maybe with some practice
Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #3020
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Diablo 3

Trying out the new patch they released for it (2.0.3). Haven't played since 1.0.4. Completely overhauls the game. Gold and real money auction house have been eliminated from the game. Items are very useful and have worthwhile upgrades and stats. Unlike before where the good stuff came from the AH/RMAH (pay/farm gold to win/progress), and most of the world drops were vendor food.

Overall, I like the new changes. Really enjoying it so far. I rerolled fresh, and am on Act 3.
It's on sale for $19.99 so I'm considering getting it. How's the story?

Currently playing Crysis and Deus Ex: HR

Free Speech
Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #3021
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
It's on sale for $19.99 so I'm considering getting it. How's the story?

Currently playing Crysis and Deus Ex: HR
I don't know. It's fairly good. Not sure what is considered good writing though. Some people thought it was kind of sub-par, but those could be people complaining just to complain.

Don't buy it for the story. You buy a game like this for the loot hunting and character building.
Last edited by Jeff; 03-17-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #3022
NutWrench

Just downloaded Rage from Steam. It's a lot of fun.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 03-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #3023
NutWrench

Got a question about Rage. How do you attach mods to weapons? I've had this monocular since the beginning of the game and it says you can attach it to the settler pistol but I have no idea how to do this.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #3024
dan2091

You already bought it? If you did, you just press the zoom buttom (don't remember if MB2 or E). Make sure the monocular is equipped by looking on in your inventory (tab). It's automatically equipped when bought.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #3025
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
Got a question about Rage. How do you attach mods to weapons? I've had this monocular since the beginning of the game and it says you can attach it to the settler pistol but I have no idea how to do this.
Yeah, you don't have to attach it.
Once you own it, you instantly use it. Just bring up your pistol and press the zoom key.

You'll raise up the monocle instead of aiming down the sights.
All the weapon mods in RAGE are instantly applied to the appropriate weapons when you buy them.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #3026
NutWrench

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #3027
NutWrench

Been playing Banished for a while. This is one of those games where I get so caught up in it that I can completely lose track of time. That doesn't happen too often.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 AM   #3028
Jeff

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

Final boss of new expansion (Malthael, Angel of Death) attempt on Master difficulty (Inferno equivalent, which was the hardest difficulty pre-expansion). Got him to around 10% or so. Those blood wings of his will one shot you. Covers around 70% of the platform when spawned.

Tried him again at level 70, and I downed him solo. Must have been the gear or just knowing the strat (get behind him when he spawns his wings).
Last edited by Jeff; 03-26-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #3029
KO Gilligan

Sonic Dash for my new Android phone.

It's an acceptable diversion if I'm standing there with a device looking to occupy it's little screen with a game.
It's really kinda fun actually
But it's not an alternative to actual video gaming... not at all.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #3030
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Betrayer

Getting close to finishing up the second area and heading to the third. Good thing is Craig said you will have to travel back to previous areas as you get further into the game.
But, I'm loving it. Compared to the Alpha build... there's a TON of improvements, changes and differences.
But, it's the stark silence and emptiness of the world that's so great. They've created this great sense of isolation even though you're in this wide open space.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #3031
X-Vector

Tried out the Shadow Warrior demo and I simply cannot get the game to look good.
FXAA is a blurry joke and FSAA results in too much of a framerate hit, while still leaving an ocean of shimmering behind.
Tinkering with post-processing ("low" - why no option for "off"?), SSAO and gamma helps a bit, but still doesn't allow total immersion.

After Crysis 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and this one, I wonder if I'll ever get to terms with current/next gen game graphics.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #3032
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
Tried out the Shadow Warrior demo and I simply cannot get the game to look good.
FXAA is a blurry joke and FSAA results in too much of a framerate hit, while still leaving an ocean of shimmering behind.
Tinkering with post-processing ("low" - why no option for "off"?), SSAO and gamma helps a bit, but still doesn't allow total immersion.
For AA, you could try overriding the game's settings via Nvidia Inspector (or AMD equivalent) to use those methods instead of what the game provides. The sparse grid supersampling setting is said to cut down on the shimmering a lot. The highest setting (8x SGSS) will cost you a lot of frames though, but will cut down on the shimmering. Any kind of antialiasing is very hard on your GPU. I don't think there are any methods which will eliminate shimmering at little or no cost to your FPS.
Last edited by Jeff; 03-27-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #3033
X-Vector

Well, I've read that SW doesn't support forced AA, but I could give it a try (don't have Radeon Pro yet though).
I've just played through the demo and there are some positive aspects to it; I like the melee fighting setup and the upgrade system, the atmosphere is also nice in places.

What bugs me apart from visual issues (aliasing, colours, bloom) though is a slight feeling of disconnect and nausea, which I normally never get when playing videogames.
Don't know what's causing it (framerate, contrast, player movement/headbobbing?), but it's pretty off-putting.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #3034
Morbid

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247240/

F*cking epic awesome (old-school arcade, repeating: old-school arcade) game, a tribute to "Rastan" from the 80's. Can't stop playing it. And it's on sale with -50%.

Rise, Warrior!
Last edited by Morbid; 03-27-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #3035
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post

After Crysis 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and this one, I wonder if I'll ever get to terms with current/next gen game graphics.
Turn off "Mirrors".
Post processing doesn't do really anything to the game's framerate. The only graphical option that really drags it down is "Mirrors", which is real time reflections for any reflective surface in the game.

Be it water, a shiny floor... with Mirrors on any sort of reflection like that will be real time. So, particles, shadows, enemies, items, sky... lights.
With it off the game uses a baked image for the reflection. Still looks great and drastically improves the framerate. Making it possible to use a more demanding form of AA.

Also, yes, the Road Hog Engine has a very distinctive feel to it. Something other people have commented on. It's partially to due with the player's movements and "weight" in the world itself.
That combined with the use of FBA and the strong focus on sword based combat has lead to some having motion sickness issues where they've never experienced them before.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #3036
X-Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Turn off "Mirrors".
I already did that and it did indeed make a substantial difference.
In the end I decided to play with SSAO on low; disabling it results in a game that's too bright and turning the gamma down creates a high contrast look that burns my eyes.
I still find it troublesome that SW runs less smoothly than other games that overall look a lot better in my eyes (e.g. Crysis 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Portal 2).

Quote:
Also, yes, the Road Hog Engine has a very distinctive feel to it. Something other people have commented on. It's partially to due with the player's movements and "weight" in the world itself.
That combined with the use of FBA and the strong focus on sword based combat has lead to some having motion sickness issues where they've never experienced them before.
Yeah, I found a thread over at the Steam board that mentioned the issue.
I've set weapon inertia to zero, but that doesn't (completely) solve the problem.
Odd though, Jedi Knight also sports a very noticable momentum in player movement, but I've never suffered any ill effect from it.

Anyway, here's what I've been playing recently:

Babylon 5 flashback.

I've started a new Mass Effect campaign on veteran with my Shepard from the first playthrough on normal (currently level 52).
Urdnot Wrex now wears Rage X armour, which looks rather ridiculous but has great stats.

New York, not Beijing.

I'm giving Crysis 2 another go; I still don't like the relative linearity and restrictive nature of the gameplay, but it the immersive presentation makes up for it to an extent.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #3037
dan2091

Finished Grand Theft Auto V. Loved some of the dialogue as I expected, but I didn't like the ending and some of the humour.

It is the most refined GTA game to date, gameplay wise (finally learned something from Max Payne).

Then, finished Bioshock 2. Loved the shooting mechanics and the presentation of the story and settings. Beautiful music, especially at the end of the game.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #3038
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247240/

F*cking epic awesome (old-school arcade, repeating: old-school arcade) game, a tribute to "Rastan" from the 80's. Can't stop playing it. And it's on sale with -50%.

Rise, Warrior!
I keep hoping to see this one pop up in a Humble bundle deal. They have it in the store for $12 - you get both the Downloadable File and the Steam key.

If you want your games DRM-FREE, or hate Steam, or you want both DRM-Free and a Steam Key - check it out:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...ing_storefront
Old 03-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #3039
NutWrench

I'm really enjoying Rage, so far. I'm still in Wellspring. One thing I don't like about the town's layout is that I can't buy car ammo at Mick's garage. This is a major travel path for the player early in the game and Mick doesn't seem to offer any services beyond storing/repairing your car and installing upgrades.

Also, what's with those stationary turrets in the Wasteland that shoot at your car as you pass? I can't figure out how to target or destroy them. Are they Authority turrets? They don't seem to have any point in the game other than to p*ss you off.

Got the Wingstick blueprints, though.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #3040
NutWrench

Banished. I'm slowly switching over from a hunting/fishing based town to a farming/orchard/herding one.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Deus Ex: Game of the Year and Deus Ex: Invisible War are really cheap on Steam, right now. I just got both for less than six dollars. If you were thinking about it, this would be a good time.