Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #3041
Morbid

Re: What was the last game you played Pt 28?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I keep hoping to see this one pop up in a Humble bundle deal. They have it in the store for $12 - you get both the Downloadable File and the Steam key.

If you want your games DRM-FREE, or hate Steam, or you want both DRM-Free and a Steam Key - check it out:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...ing_storefront
yeah I know, but I was waiting for a discount for much too long so I got it on steam (5,99).
Last edited by Morbid; 03-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #3042
Kalki

Still on my replay of Crysis - Missed this game and its music.

I'm not exploring every enemy encampment, usually avoiding NKs and taking the directest route and still getting some variation. Using all the suit modes and digging the changes of pace at mid-game with stealth, armor, turrets & vehicles like the humvee and boat. I sorely missed vehicles in Crysis 2.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #3043
NutWrench

Made it to Subway Town. I'm starting to understand why this game was a 20gig install.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #3044
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Betrayer

Finished it, about 12 hours. LOVED it. The final release was great, and they've already released a rather large update.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2

Finished it as well, and loved it as well. Felt like a solid way to wrap up the series. Also, as someone who prefers Infinite over the original BioShock, it was an achievement for them to get me to enjoy the DLC since it's set in Rapture.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #3045
KO Gilligan

Dead Space

It's free at Origin right now
Find it in the EA Origin store and add it to your account - it's that easy.

Why don't all sci-fi shooters have the health bar as something that's actually on your suit. I love that the game is lean on HUD crap in your field of view. What other game by default has your entire field of view clear and HUD items come up only as needed?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #3046
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
What other game by default has your entire field of view clear and HUD items come up only as needed?
Outlast. It has no hud.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #3047
dan2091

Ok, just created an account at Origin. Never played Dead Space but I want to try it. Hmm... come to think of it, it will be the first EA game that I've had played in a long time.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #3048
NutWrench

Banished. My town is shaping up nicely . . . .

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #3049
NutWrench

Took a break from Banished and Rage and played some Deus Ex for a while.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #3050
Avoozl

Just finished Shadow Warrior and the two expansions Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon again only this time I tired for all secrets, however some secrets cannot be gained in the expansions because they were poorly implemented and it's not possible to get all enemies on some of the maps.

I really wish there was another yet unofficial expansion for the game which I haven't found yet but it's very unlikely.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #3051
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

While I love Shadow Warrior, the expansions just weren't that good.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #3052
dan2091

Twin Dragons levels were way too big for me. But I liked them enough to plan playing it somewhere down the line. In the other hand, Wanton Destruction is hands down the best unreleased add-on ever! The ending was nice enough.

Playing Arkham Origins. For some reason, it reminds me a lot of Max Payne . Great game. If only because of the less european looking Gotham City and the Michael Bay cinematics, not my cup of tea, but very well done, nevertheless.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #3053
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I didn't like either expansion for SW. I felt the level design in bother was really bad, and the pacing was just all over the place.
But, then again level design was never a strong point in the original Shadow Warrior.

And I love Arkham Origins. It's my favorite entry in the series. I'm very excited for the upcoming story DLC "Cold, Cold Heart"... looks awesome.

As for me, replaying the Dead Space series.
Finished the first game a few days ago and up to Chapter 10 in Dead Space 2.

This is one of my favorite trilogies in gaming. Love each one as they all have their strengths. Damn I wish EA would surprise people with a Dead Space 4 announcement, but... after how they cried about DS3's sales... I doubt it will happen.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #3054
Riddlewire

Deus Ex: The Fall.

I didn't have the same technical problems with shooting that some other people did. I did experience the non-zoom/non-pan hacking bug, but that was fixed by changing my VSync setting (which also fixed the mouse sensitivity problem).
Yeah, there are lots of little annoyances in the game, mostly related to combat. But, by the time I reached "To Be Continued", I was actually enjoying it. It's a shame it was so short.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #3055
Kev_Hectic

Uhhh... The last game I've played was Battlefield 4
Old 04-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #3056
dan2091

Finished Arkham Origins, yesterday. Reviews were right regarding boss fights. The game actually freezed my Xbox three times. But no other bugs. On PC I did had a bug after the fight with Deathstroke... the camera was like zoomed in and wasn't in the according position. A restart to last checkpoint fixed it, though.

Even if the game doesn't bring any new change gameplay wise, the story makes it worth playing it.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 AM   #3057
Jeff

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Torment 1 difficulty

Torment 6 is the highest difficulty, but the only difference is a very small increase to get a legendary item (with 11x more health, and 6x more damage compared to Torment 1). That's about it. Someone actually wrote a post which proves the droprate is actually on a timer, where after a certain period a legendary item will drop. So you could play for an hour and get one legendary. Or play six-ten minute sessions and get a legendary. It is not based on certain mobs you kill or if you kill the same enemy 100 times a legendary will eventually drop.
Last edited by Jeff; 04-20-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #3058
Stevey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Someone actually wrote a post which proves the droprate is actually on a timer, where after a certain period a legendary item will drop. So you could play for an hour and get one legendary. Or play six-ten minute sessions and get a legendary. It is not based on certain mobs you kill or if you kill the same enemy 100 times a legendary will eventually drop.
That was just anecdotal evidence from some guy, it proves nothing.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #3059
dan2091

Speaking of evidence...

Finished L.A. Noire today.

Spoiler:
Last edited by dan2091; 04-22-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #3060
KO Gilligan

Speaking of evidence...

I'm following a guard's alcohol breath in Batman: Arkham Asylum

Is there anything in this game that isn't a scripted walkthrough from cutscene to cutscene?

I could just watch the whole game on you tube, and beat my spacebar and mouse button at the appropriate times - would be nearly the exact same thing and I wouldn't need to figure out the stupid skill tree system.

Oh, and they paid the map maker in this movie way too much.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #3061
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

You are basically in the first thirty minutes still. The first opening bit of a 20 hour game.
The game opens up once you make it outside the first building.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #3062
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
You are basically in the first thirty minutes still. The first opening bit of a 20 hour game.
Pretty much. I preferred the sequels to Asylum but it was great nonetheless. Getting the timing right for combat clicks and moves is essential. Watching youtube doesn't convey the fluid feedback that makes this series so famous.

Been playing Crysis Warhead and I was expecting it to be better. It's still a very early section of the game but the visuals don't have that same polish for some reason. Gameplay is more streamlined with being able to run into weapon pickups and stuff. Story's tone so far is more Call of Duty than Crysis but the biggest negative would be the 3rd person cut scenes which add absolutely nothing to the experience.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #3063
dan2091

It's the only Arkham game I've 100% completed (challenges included). Executing +50x combos is a great experience, certainly different from just seeing it.

By the way, I play the Arkham games on PC and console, and for some reason I like using the mouse on fights more than the controller. I like having control of the camera, and it's difficult for me to do so with the analogs sticks while having to press the fight buttons.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #3064
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Batman: Arkham Origins: Cold, Cold Heart

So far it's pretty awesome.

Also, Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Finished it this morning. Honestly, I like it.
And really, had this game had "Call of Duty" in the title it would've gotten review scores in the 9s. It's a far better title then any of the Modern Warfare series and definitely better then Ghosts.

The most "Michael Bay" like moment is the opening of the game. Everything after that dials it back for a more grounded, personal fight.
And like the previous MoH, it strives to tell a more personal and emotional story instead of trying to get you all pumped up with set piece after set piece after set piece.
I like the first title in the reboot better, but it's sad that the reboot only got the chance to go for two games.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #3065
KO Gilligan

Quote:
That totally makes sense now. It's just one cut scene after another.... like a tutorial or something

I honestly thought I'd be doing this building and these corridors and beating the space bar to open vents for another 4 or 5 hours, and that would be it.

Haven't really played Batman games yet. I guess I have pre-conceived ideas about them being console button mash fight games. I suppose it is part of what they are, but I should be more open minded.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #3066
fast-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
Took a break from Banished and Rage and played some Deus Ex for a while.

Did you play that in Windows 7/8/9/10/11

How did you get it to run, it works okay in XP, but it's an old game.

I played Shadow Warrior classic redux on Steam.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #3067
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-1 View Post

Last time I tried it it ran fine on Win7 with no extra steps. Just... started right up.
It is the Unreal Engine so... it doesn't need a whole lot. The only additional steps I did were for widescreen and such.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #3068
dan2091

The same thing for Vista. Start up the game and there you are.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #3069
8IronBob

Played me some Final Doom: TNT Evilution - Map 22. For id's final hurrah of the Doom II engine, Project TNT certainly made it go out with a bang, that's for sure...little did they know that Duke 3D really blew it right outta the water, literally.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #3070
Nihilanth

Quote:

Quote:
Last time I tried it it ran fine on Win7 with no extra steps. Just... started right up.
It is the Unreal Engine so... it doesn't need a whole lot. The only additional steps I did were for widescreen and such.
My original copy doesn't work anymore, not without hacks anyway. But a version from an Anthology works fine as it is.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #3071
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The copy I have on Steam works fine. I haven't bothered with the disc version in years.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #3072
NutWrench

Quote:
I'm using the New Vision graphics patch, which adds upgraded textures, plus DX9 and DX10 support.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #3073
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
I'm using the New Vision graphics patch, which adds upgraded textures, plus DX9 and DX10 support.
Oh hell yea. Time to dig that old disk out.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #3074
X-Vector

I can see some improvements, but New Vision clearly changes Deus Ex' colour palette from cool blue-grey to bleak grey-grey, which isn't the way to go in my book.
Deus Ex: Revisited looks like a far more interesting mod project.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #3075
Riddlewire

Since I played The Fall recently, I figured I should go back and play Invisible War again.
Last time I played it was ten years ago on Xbox. I always wondered if the PC version was significantly different.

Nope.
Even with a "HD" texture pack, the game looks pretty much the same. The same as I remember it, anyway. I traded my xbox copy in shortly after finishing it, so I haven't seen that version for a decade.

I never hated the game like everyone else. Yeah, it has a dumb factions structure. You can completely change the ending during the last level, so it doesn't actually matter how you played the game. But it's not overly long or frustrating. It's just fun to experiment in for a week and then forget it again for another ten years.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #3076
Morbid

DX:IW.... I finished it once and have never touched it again since. I can't go back to it, it is such a claustrophobic experience that really destroys me...
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #3077
X-Vector

Now that I've managed to make the game look halfway decent with the help of SweetFX, I've been playing some Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
The experience has improved over my initial impressions, but even with SMAA the aliasing still spoils the enjoyment considerably.
It's a shame, because there are people out there who've succeeded in doing the artwork justice (partly through brute force downsampling, which isn't an option for me).
Old 05-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #3078
Morbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
Wow, this is insane.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #3079
X-Vector

Check out some of the other albums on that account.
The Dead Space ones are even better and really show off Visceral Games' amazing design work; even relatively simple environments are turned into works of art:

Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #3080
Morbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
Check out some of the other albums on that account.
The Dead Space ones are even better and really show off Visceral Games' amazing design work; even relatively simple environments are turned into works of art:
Indeed those are great too, bookmarked him, thx.
Last edited by Morbid; 05-02-2014 at 04:44 PM.