Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Should DNF come with a editor?
YES, I want to be able to make my own Duke levels even if it takes longer for 3DR to finish. 148 77.89%
NO, I just want the Duke asap and a level editor is not that important to me. 42 22.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #81
Minty

Re: DNF editor important to you?
An editor is important to the game. I'm all for one being shipped late than it delaying the game
Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #82
RAW

Joe im sure youve seen the editor and how it works, your opinion on how easy it is to use if you would ,i know youd have to keep it basic but it would be nice to know
Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #83
Otto

Definitely hoping for an editor.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #84
Huib

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMat View Post
I have had some of my stuff stolen from me by would be mod buddies in the past. stuff like maps and bases. i ask for help and the first ones to say yes are looking for stuff that they need. This sort of shit happens and it sux. maybe wont happen in here much. lets hope 3dr get a great mod community and heres to the guys that are already here
i think you can rest assured on that. the duke community as i know it (though i mostly monitor and read instead of post and discuss) is a very friendly one. especially back in the early Duke3D mapping and modding days there was a lot of support and help arround.

3drealms puts in a DNF editor, that's for sure. maybe it's a though one, but if they can work with it, we should be able to figure it out altogether. with support from the 3DR crew and eachother. the thing is, it's more or less in our own hands if it will be a succes. if we give a helping hand if needed and give credit where it's in place, things will work out fine. but if not, then we only have ourselfs to blame for being an arse.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #85
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW View Post
Joe im sure youve seen the editor and how it works, your opinion on how easy it is to use if you would ,i know youd have to keep it basic but it would be nice to know
Man, I would get so destroyed by George if I started talking about the game like that.

"When it's done".

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #86
peoplessi

Maybe some day we might find out.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #87
Nemesis 01

Since DNF has the Unreal engine I imagine it will probably come with some version of UnrealED... I know 3D Realms have changed lots of things in the engine, but I highly doubt they've removed the editor...
Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #88
Antikorper
I have an idea for the editor. It would be cool if you could host servers for your files and allowe your "Teammates" do teamwork on the modding/mapping without transferring files around. I am trying to say that it should be able to support somekind of easy way of keeping your files in one place over internet and then let ppl do mapping with less problems with files.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #89
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis 01 View Post
Since DNF has the Unreal engine I imagine it will probably come with some version of UnrealED... I know 3D Realms have changed lots of things in the engine, but I highly doubt they've removed the editor...
I remember a quote somewhere, maybe by Joe, saying that's the reason this forum has an UnrealEd section, so that it'd help out with people who will then go on to use DNrealEd (or whatever it's called - some modified version of UnrealEd, though).
Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #90
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I remember a quote somewhere, maybe by Joe, saying that's the reason this forum has an UnrealEd section, so that it'd help out with people who will then go on to use DNrealEd (or whatever it's called - some modified version of UnrealEd, though).
Everyone knows it's called "Duke's Enormous Tool." Geeze, get it straight.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #91
Skiffer

DN4realEd.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #92
evanazzo

release game then work on editor and release it later
Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #93
HazMat

I recently noticed that in the FAQ it states that the editor will be released with the game.\o/
Old 06-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #94
Chewbubblegum
Thumbs up Re: DNF editor important to you?
Quote:
Yes, I want to see all the remakes of classic DN3D levels using the DNF editor. That'd be the first thing most people, including 3DRealms, would probably expect to see imo.
I've waited 12 years for the opportunity.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #95
Ramen4ever

I'm not good at level editing but I would be interested in seeing what others are capable of. It would be a shame not to use 3dr's work to the full of it's potential.

P.s. My first project would be titled: Harem.. For quiet predictable reasons.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #96
Talos

I'd build some fine levels for DNF for sure!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #97
Betelgeuse

i have never made a map. ever. But i am keen to try, i might study up on it
How long did it take some of you guys to get the hang of making maps and stuff? months? years?
also! where should i start?
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #98
xer0kill
how would releasing a level editor push the release date ahead? you don't think they have one already? what, are they building maps from scratch in notepad?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #99
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by xer0kill View Post
how would releasing a level editor push the release date ahead? you don't think they have one already? what, are they building maps from scratch in notepad?
Yeah, im not honestly getting why there are ANY nay sayers on here about this, except to just plain be nay sayers...
Old 06-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #100
timothy2
If anything the editor is a good thing for everyone, I'm sure a gazillion of content will be made for DNF as long as it's User friendly.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #101
zetcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMat View Post
I recently noticed that in the FAQ it states that the editor will be released with the game.\o/
So I just hope that DN4ever Editor will be easy to navigate and create own levels.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #102
Spiker

Mapping in build is easy as making tea. I've learned it when I was 14/15 and without any instructions because I did not understand english then. I simply discovered everything myself. Of course later I read the instructions. However I'm afraid that mapping in DNF may not be so simple.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #103
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
Yeah, im not honestly getting why there are ANY nay sayers on here about this, except to just plain be nay sayers...
Just adjust your filter preferences in the user CP.
Check the box that says:

HATER BLOCKER - Enable [ ]
Old 06-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #104
Mr.Fibbles

I would imagine that if you have used any of the modern engines (particularly Unreal based tech) you might not have a hard time working with the engine. . .but I am making guesses here. I wonder how much of the Unreal Editor is still intact.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #105
Little Conqueror

To be honest, I doubt I'll make any levels for DNF. I've made a metric shitload for Duke Nukem 3D (never released them because I don't like any of them) and Doom, and one or two ones that I released that were fairly polished for Unreal Tournament (the original one). But I stopped mapping when making the most basic of geometrical shapes felt more like I was making a ridiculously detailed model in 3D Studio Max than making a level.

That being said, a level editor is a welcome addition.

"If you join the good fight, you get 72 domain names when you die." -- Wamplet
Old 06-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #106
xer0kill
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetcom View Post
So I just hope that DN4ever Editor will be easy to navigate and create own levels.
Did you ever use the Build editor for Duke3d? Honestly, modern editors are not much harder than that. They are, however, more complex in certain ways. You've got a lot more options to deal with. Adding water and/or rooms over rooms is FAR simpler than with the Build engine, though. Modern editors also have a 3d viewport (much like the previewing, on-the-fly-style editing found in Build). Basically you wander around your map in the 3d viewport, click on walls/floors/ceilings to change/align their textures, etc. The added complexity comes into play due to the fact that you're working with truly 3d architecture. Also, there are probably a ton more types of entities and/or properties that can be assigned to surfaces (ie, whether or not something is destructible, clipping, what sound it makes when you shoot it).

There are two main categories of map editors these days: Additive editors and Subtractive editors. I won't go into the details here, if you want to learn more, check this link out: http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/Mapping

Basically Subtractive editing (like the Unreal engine) makes it quicker to create single rooms, but you've got to be careful with the order you build things in. Additive editing (id games like Quake, etc.) prevents a lot of compiling issues, but is more of a pain in the ass for making rooms since you've got to build each of the six walls.

Since DNF's roots are in the Unreal engine, I would think that its editor is subtractive. So, learn up on that stuff! And, if you can, start practicing with UnrealEd.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #107
xer0kill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Conqueror View Post
To be honest, I doubt I'll make any levels for DNF. I've made a metric shitload for Duke Nukem 3D (never released them because I don't like any of them) and Doom, and one or two ones that I released that were fairly polished for Unreal Tournament (the original one). But I stopped mapping when making the most basic of geometrical shapes felt more like I was making a ridiculously detailed model in 3D Studio Max than making a level.

That being said, a level editor is a welcome addition.
I felt exactly the same way when I first tried map making for Quake 1. The editor was awkward and it ran like shit on my PC. Like you, I also made maps for Doom and Duke3d, and found them much easier. Things have really changed a lot in the years since, though!

My only experience so far with more "modern" engines is with the Q3 engine. I've been using GTK Radiant to make maps for Urban Terror. Once I started figuring things out, I found the experience much more pleasant than Build editing, and definitely nicer than Doom editing. It's less buggy, and there's not much you can do to completely bork your map and have to start over from scratch (I particularly remember that happening a lot to me in Doom maps). It's not really hard at all, but it is (as map making has always been) extremely time-consuming. After awhile, though, you get addicted and find yourself having more fun mapping than actually playing the game!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #108
Betelgeuse

well after reading some of your posts, i guess i feel less intimidated about making a map.

im sure i'll pick it up as i go along. horahy
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Old 06-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #109
duubhglas

When I remember my good old days, I can always remember the so much time I spent with Build.
So, I really really hope an editor to come in the "Goodies" folder.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #110
Kev_Boy

I'd love to make new environments to Duke around in but I'm afraid 3DRealms will have already done all the cool ones
Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #111
Reaper

Quote:
Yes, I want to see all the remakes of classic DN3D levels using the DNF editor. That'd be the first thing most people, including 3DRealms, would probably expect to see imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbubblegum View Post
I've waited 12 years for the opportunity.
Not Gonna Happen. It is illegal to reproduce DN3D levels (or use their assets) in any game, even another 3drealms game.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 AM   #112
soulburner
You could probably do a remake of a DN3D map, a much more detailed Hollywood Holocaust with alternate routes and... without the original name perhaps? Don't know...

As for the editor - yes, I love playing with modifying games, creating my own levels, and stuff like that. I would also love to see an SDK, that could be released a bit after the game - you know, parts of the game code that allow modifying existing entities and adding custom ones.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 AM   #113
vcatkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Not Gonna Happen. It is illegal to reproduce DN3D levels (or use their assets) in any game, even another 3drealms game.
Reproduce, yes. Maps with similar layouts to the old maps built from scratch in the DNF engine using DNF assets? Possibly still yes, but I'm sure even the folks at 3DR would be curious to see what happens. Not talking a map pack of all D3D maps or anything, but if other companies (iD and Epic) allow homage style remakes of their old maps, I can't see why 3DR would have a stick up their butts over one or two of their classic maps.

Besides, bleating how "it's illegal" every time somebody mentions it is not going to stop people from trying. Just let 'em go and let 3DR sort 'em out.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:26 AM   #114
Ironside

yeah this is done all the time. look at wake island. just ignore reaper.

That stargate mod in the other duke threads is illegal. But I dont care. There ya go reaper go jump them about it.
Last edited by Ironside; 06-08-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #115
Psycho87

Quote:
Originally Posted by xer0kill View Post
Basically Subtractive editing (like the Unreal engine) makes it quicker to create single rooms, but you've got to be careful with the order you build things in. Additive editing (id games like Quake, etc.) prevents a lot of compiling issues, but is more of a pain in the ass for making rooms since you've got to build each of the six walls.
With CSG yes, but take a look at the F.E.A.R. editor, you simply use the box tool and flip it's normals to make a room.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #116
xer0kill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho87 View Post
With CSG yes, but take a look at the F.E.A.R. editor, you simply use the box tool and flip it's normals to make a room.
Ahh.. I was not aware of that. You can do something similar to that in Q3 actually, but you can't really connect rooms that are made that way without creating even more work. The most "modern" engine I've worked with so far is Q3, like I said... I'm somewhat limited since I switched to Linux about a year ago. I did play Doom3 and ET: QuakeWars, but was not impressed enough to get into mapping for them.

I pray nightly that there will be a Linux port for DNF, (come on, it's based on Unreal! This should be possible!) but I'm not holding my breath. As a last resort, I'm willing to install some form of Windows just to play DNF... since I've been waiting patiently for 12 years now, just like everyone else here.
Last edited by xer0kill; 06-08-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #117
Deimos

An editor is a must. I remember days and days spent with a buddy on Build creating the perfect and most explosive Dukematch levels.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #118
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
yeah this is done all the time. look at wake island. just ignore reaper.

That stargate mod in the other duke threads is illegal. But I dont care. There ya go reaper go jump them about it.
You make it sound as if I'm trolling. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from creating a mod, I'm just telling you straight out: it will be stopped by 3DR if it reproduces Duke 3D. So don't waste your time and effort creating a level that will probably never see the light of day when it could be used creating something more original.

And vcat: Epic's "homage's" are done in-house FWIK. Face was remade for UT2k4 and UT3.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #119
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
And vcat: Epic's "homage's" are done in-house FWIK. Face was remade for UT2k4 and UT3.
Only a few, the majority of remakes of ut levels are done by fans.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #120
vcatkiller

Exactly. Ditto goes for the iD based map remakes.

Reaper, I say just don't waste your time with those "it's illegal" posts. People are going to do it whether you jump in every post screaming legality or not. Let 3DR decide to defend themselves when the time comes.