Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-01-2001, 04:09 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Commander Keen Lives!

Not all that long ago, we ran a historical piece on Commander Keen, tracing it's original creation, the creation of id Software 10 years ago, and had this text in it:

Will there ever been more Keen? Probably. When will it be? Who knows? There are no plans on the books for anything official at this point. id Software still owns the rights to Commander Keen, and given the direction and focus their company has now, you can bet they wouldn't be likely to do more Keen on their own.

Well, that text is now both right and wrong. It's wrong in that there has been an announcement of a new Commander Keen game made! Announced today in a press release was a new Commander Keen game for the Color Gameboy! Here's a bit from the press release:

Commander Keen marks a return to id Software's roots -- developing over-the-top, comic book-style adventure games for kids. Based on id's original Commander Keen series on the PC, Commander Keen finds precocious 8-year-old superhero Billy Blaze on an all-new quest to save the world from his alien adversaries, the Droidiccus, Shikadia and Bloogs of Fribbulus Xax.

id CEO Todd Hollenshead made a .plan update which has basically the same information about the game.

That's about all the information there is available on it for now. Once there is more to tell about the new title, we'll cover it - but one final thing. Please don't email us about the title, Apogee/3D Realms are not involved in the creation of this game.

However, we are still selling the original 5 Keen games - if you've never played them, go check out our Keen Vorticons & Keen Galaxy pages - there you can see screenshots, read some about the game, and download shareware for them!

------------------
Joe Siegler - Webmaster, 3D Realms
Join the TiVolution!
---
Got a Duke Nukem Forever Question?
Go read the OFFICIAL FAQ before posting about it!

Click here for info on how to use this UBB

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 03-01-2001, 04:45 PM   #2
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: Commander Keen Lives!
UPDATE!

An email to id CEO Todd Hollenshead confirms these facts about the game:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>It's for the Color Gameboy only.<LI>It's simply called "Commander Keen" (with no subtitle)<LI>Keen fans will recognize familiar foes, as well as getting new ones.<LI>It's a joint effort between David Palmer Productions and id.<LI>Adrian Carmack, one of the original Commander Keen team has done some new art for the game.[/list]
------------------
Join the TiVolution!
---

Old 03-01-2001, 04:46 PM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

UPDATE #2 - Check out this link for some more Q&A by Todd Hollenshead on the new Keen game:

http://www.stomped.com/shared/nsyste...7_1_page_1.php

------------------
Join the TiVolution!
---

Old 03-01-2001, 04:52 PM   #4
biXen
COOOL!!! Will have to buy a GBC then :P

------------------
"You want Payne ? I'll Give You Payne!"
"Opinions are like *******s. Everyone's got em and they all stink! (except mine)"

-biXen-

http://insanepayne.gamereactor.net
Old 03-01-2001, 05:16 PM   #5
Brick_Sledge

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T EVEN OWN A GB BUT I WILL BUY ONE JUST FOR KEEN!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN ONLY HOPE IT DOES WELL ENOUGH FOR A NEW PC KEEN! Joe please raise the max images. I took about an hour to write KEEN in smilies. only to find it won't work

[ 01-29-2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Brick_Sledge ]
Old 03-01-2001, 06:08 PM   #6
Brick_Sledge

Yeah it would've been like that only saying "KEEN" instead of "FNORD"

[ 01-29-2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Brick_Sledge ]
Old 03-01-2001, 07:58 PM   #7
Justin

HOLY POGO STICK, BATMAN!

Good thing I already have a GBC!

You can bet on me pre-ordering this sucker...

LONG LIVE COMMANDER KEEN!!!

*head* *exploding* *must* *contain* *excitement*

------------------
Omnes arx vestrum sunt adiuncta nobis.

[This message has been edited by Justin (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 07:21 AM   #8
Lyris
Awwwww I don't mean to burst the bubble here guys but - have any of you ever played a game made by David Palmer Productions? Try Gex on the Game Boy Color and you'll see what I mean. And Tom Hall's at Ion Storm... Still, hopefully it'll be an OK game.

------------------
Stardust Entertainment: Myth of the Moon Stone
Old 03-02-2001, 08:58 AM   #9
X-human
Well, this comes as no real surprise to me (Carmack has spoken of the possiblity), but I was hoping for a GameBoy Advanced game. But, GBA will be able to play GBC games I believe, so you could buy the game, play the ROM and wait for GBA to come out. That thing is more powerful than the SNES. (I had the old 80's clunker, and picked up GBA color just for Super Mario Bros.. Duke Nukem was so-so.)

I agree that this is like stabbing Tom Hall in the back. I've never played a David Palmer Productions game, but I do have doubts as to their abilites. id Soft is becoming one bastard of an unoriginal company. Although Return to Castle Wolfenstein KFA, I don't think DOOM 3 or this new Keen game have a real chance. You never know though, there might be a real big creative Keen fan at David Palmer.

------------------
Planet-X, Dopefish Cult & BJ's Hideout
---
"Meine Hosen sind eingeschaltet rückwärts! Helfen Sie mir, ich kann nicht aus meiner Unterwäsche geraderichten, so stirbt meine Genitalien!"
Old 03-02-2001, 10:10 AM   #10
Lyris
Duke Nukem GBC was a bit of a disappointment IMO. The game started out looking great, but after that it moved so clunkily and slowly it really spoiled things a bit.

------------------
Old 03-02-2001, 07:19 PM   #11
GAMEBOY SUCKS!!! Screw gameboy. If Another Keen game shall ever be made, it should be another one for the PC.

Old 03-02-2001, 09:17 PM   #12
Crosma

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil McRae:
GAMEBOY SUCKS!!! Screw gameboy. If Another Keen game shall ever be made, it should be another one for the PC.
I don't think it makes much difference. As soon as it's released everyone who really wants to play it will download it and use an emulator, this goes without saying.

------------------
http://www.crosma.co.uk

I don't kill people. Well, not many.
Old 03-03-2001, 06:17 AM   #13
Lyris
Chances are this is going to be like those Sonic games on the Sega Saturn. You know what I mean, when Sega gave the rights to some third party (Traveller's Tales I think) who screwed 'em up a bit. Still it'll definitely be worth a look.

------------------
Old 03-04-2001, 08:45 PM   #14
Justin

------------------
Omnes arx vestrum sunt adiuncta nobis.
Old 03-05-2001, 02:50 PM   #15
ryche

Will the Dopefish return?

------------------
ryche
Old 03-07-2001, 01:51 PM   #16
Lyris
Ya never know, if the people at David Palmer know Keen, it will

------------------
Old 03-08-2001, 10:36 AM   #17
X-human
Game Boy Advanced will be released June 11, this year... I doubt it will still be released as a GBC game... Unless they're stupid.

------------------
Planet-X, Dopefish Cult & BJ's Hideout
---
"Meine Hosen sind eingeschaltet rückwärts! Helfen Sie mir, ich kann nicht aus meiner Unterwäsche geraderichten, so stirbt meine Genitalien!"
Old 03-08-2001, 03:42 PM   #18
I would rather a keen game on game boy colour...
I would then have a portable version...
Unless of course you have a laptop...

------------------
The Goski King
"I like Pie"
"The sooner you learn life ain't fair, the easier it'll get" Draco

www.goskiarena.net-nobody is going to visit my site are they?

Old 01-29-2002, 03:39 PM   #19
Brick_Sledge

This was the plan I was REALLY board and decided to remake the KEEN.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: fixed;">

[/code]</blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now it works, thanks.

[ 01-29-2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Brick_Sledge ]
Old 01-29-2002, 03:49 PM   #20
revenant100

Quote:
Originally posted by Brick_Sledge:
and yes, I know you can't see it right.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Use the code thing

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: fixed;">k k eeee eeee nn n
k k e e n n n
kk eee eee n n n
k k e e n n n
k k eeee eeee n nn[/code]</blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 03-04-2002, 03:46 PM   #21
Hey, ya know what sucked, that gameboy color game of Commander Keen. Does he even have a pogo stick in it. I dont know I've never played it. It might be exciting because it says commander keen , yes, but to me it looked stupid. I wonder whatever happened to the One-Eyed Yorg that Billy Brought home with him. Ya know what was another great old computer game, Kings Quest. Where you could type in what you wanted that guy to do, such as ::::Open drawer::::: Dos computers are the best. I wish I still had all those old games, like that one that had terrible graphics but was awesome, it was like this guy who goes around and you can get treasures, like a ring. and this one level I think was the first, you have to climb this pyramyd or something, things also shot at you from the side of the wall. What a great game. anyone remember it? Well I hope they can come out with another commander keen, one with the old time, graphics and one where you can hear the sound not from the speakers, but from the computer itself.

Old 03-04-2002, 03:55 PM   #22
The Flying Fish
Quote:
Originally posted by Claymaster:
Hey, ya know what sucked, that gameboy color game of Commander Keen. Does he even have a pogo stick in it. I dont know I've never played it. It might be exciting because it says commander keen , yes, but to me it looked stupid. I wonder whatever happened to the One-Eyed Yorg that Billy Brought home with him. Ya know what was another great old computer game, Kings Quest. Where you could type in what you wanted that guy to do, such as ::::Open drawer::::: Dos computers are the best. I wish I still had all those old games, like that one that had terrible graphics but was awesome, it was like this guy who goes around and you can get treasures, like a ring. and this one level I think was the first, you have to climb this pyramyd or something, things also shot at you from the side of the wall. What a great game. anyone remember it? Well I hope they can come out with another commander keen, one with the old time, graphics and one where you can hear the sound not from the speakers, but from the computer itself.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How exactly can you say a game sucked when you've never played it?
Old 03-04-2002, 07:50 PM   #23
revenant100

Quote:
Originally posted by Claymaster:
Does he even have a pogo stick in it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes he does.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:45 AM   #24
Maybe because he's read what Keen fans said about it, namely that it just isn't a Keen game? I haven't played it either but from what I've heard, it's nothing like the original Keen games... it just doesn't compare.

Old 03-05-2002, 01:48 PM   #25
The Flying Fish
I've heard that too. I don't think I've heard anyone say the game sucked, in itself. Just that it wasn't like the classic Keen games.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:01 PM   #26
Quote:
I wonder whatever happened to the One-Eyed Yorg that Billy Brought home with him.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's a Yorp. And one's not playing a game does somehow deny him of the option to criticize it.

Old 03-12-2002, 08:05 PM   #27
Other than that it sucked majorly.