Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #81
Phayzon

Re: The New Hardware Thread
Ordered this 500GB WD MyPassport Elite yesterday. 10% off Promo code! Although it only gives up to $10 off, its better than full price.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #82
Inanimate Carbon Rod

nevermind
Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #83
Phayzon

Got another 2GB "Vapor-X" Sapphire HD4870. I dont think 530W is enough to handle 2 of those, so later today I plan on swapping it out with my old system's 650W
Old 07-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #84
Wamplet

bfg 7900gs AGP.

My old 6800 just ate shit.

Also got a saitek cyborg keyboard.

Sadly the D key has a failure rate of about 5% so i gotta go exchange it.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 07-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #85
Phayzon

Just as I thought, 530W wasnt enough. Swapped the 650W and its running good
Old 07-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #86
Kev_Hectic

Arrow Re: The New Hardware Thread
I realize this thread is for newly 'purchased hardware', but I'm going to post this in here anyway, because I don't want to make a new thread....

I'm looking into building a new budget PC, and I'm curious if this processor is worth the price?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819103680
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz ($123.00 Canadian)

I've also read that this thing two disabled cores in it that can be unlocked into being a quad-core.

Or are there any other processors in this price range or generally under 200 dollars that could be a better choice? It doesn't matter if it is AMD or Intel, I haven't decided on a motherboard yet either.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #87
Phayzon

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819115037 (Intel C2D E8400) $190 CAN. Great CPU, OCs easily to 3.6GHz as well You could also look at AMD's tri-core offerings
Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #88
Kev_Hectic

Arrow Re: The New Hardware Thread
You know, I am considering an E8400. But then I came across the Phenom II 550 and most reviews I've read on it, seem to suggest that it is on par or at least almost comparable to the E8400. Which makes me wonder if the E8400 is worth getting at the extra cost, would there be much of a jump in performance at all?

Also, I am looking at the AMD triple-cores, mainly this model, which also looks OK for the price.

I had no real intentions on picking up an AMD processor, but after comparing the price to performance ratio on some of the newest AM3 Phenom II chips, I might reconsider. They look pretty good for low cost builds. But I'm not sure if I want to get stuck with an AMD motherboard in the long run... though the AM3 boards do look like they have some breathing room for expansion later on, if I choose to get a better processor... so I dunno
Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #89
Jiminator

eh, no matter what you get, don't really plan on much breathing room. The inexpensive systems use ddr2 memory, which is great, and gives lots of bang for the buck. Intel is moving away from that, with their i7s. The latest amd cpus are compatible with both ddr2/ddr3, but their motherboards are not. Still, they are focusing on allowing easy upgrades, so there may be a new generation left that will still be compatible. For intel, a lot of their products are being phased out/made cheaper. Which is fine, but it is not a new generation. On the other hand you can probably get an intel up from 3.5 to 4 ghz. The amds are catching up in the o/c dept, but are not quite that good. (Although I think one did just set a record at 7ghz with fancy cooling, but beyond most budgets).
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #90
Jeff

I just bought a 46" Samsung LCD TV. If I'm going to be going Blu-ray, 27" is too small for watching HD movies at 720p/1080p. Maybe for surfing the net and playing games, it'll come in handy. Should be here on Monday or so.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #91
Wamplet

Oh No Re: The New Hardware Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamplet View Post
bfg 7900gs AGP.

My old 6800 just ate shit.

Also got a saitek cyborg keyboard.

Sadly the D key has a failure rate of about 5% so i gotta go exchange it.
on my 3rd Cyborg keyboard.

Had to return the second keyboard because the Left cursor was doing the same thing the D key did on my original one.

I did a test with every key, pressing them 20 times in notepad and this one finally seems to be a winnar.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #92
Phayzon

My Samsung LN32B550 came today. Pretty good so far, except... with my PC hooked up through HDMI or a DVI->HDMI cable, the picture looks like absolute shit. My Xbox360 looks great through HDMI, and the PC looks fine through VGA though...
Old 07-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #93
Simon Charles

Can anyone recommend good stereo speakers? My cheap Logitech stuff decided to remember it was Logitech and crapped all over itself. Right speaker is dead. It plays sometimes but goes in and out most of the time. At 15$, I shouldn't be surprised.

I can't have a subwoofer. I only need 2 speakers. Good ones. Ones where both play at the same level. I often got stuff where the left one played stronger than the right.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 07-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #94
Hudson

Don't know what your price range is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836166006

It's pretty slim pickings for high quality without a sub.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #95
Simon Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
It's pretty slim pickings for high quality without a sub.
Yup, thought as much. Thanks.

Any way to not use the woof at all? On my old 5.1 system, even when turned off, it would still be used. There'd be bass coming out of it.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #96
Nessus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Charles View Post
Yup, thought as much. Thanks.

Any way to not use the woof at all? On my old 5.1 system, even when turned off, it would still be used. There'd be bass coming out of it.
Just pull the wire out that gives it audio signal. Probably whats happening is that even though it's not getting amp power there is still signal going to it. If you can't pull it out at either end you can even cut it and repair it with electrical tape if you ever wanted it back.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #97
Phayzon

Got a Core 2 Quad Q9550 today, OC'd to 3.4GHz (400MHz FSB)

Also built my friend's low-budget ($400) system today:

Phenom II X2 550 (3.1GHz)
ASUS M4A78 Plus
HIS IceQ HD4850
2x2GB Corsair DDR2-800 5-5-5-18
Cheap Rosewill Case
500W Rosewill PSU
Reused her DVD-ROM, DVD-RW and 320GB HDD

Still getting everything finished up (Windows Updates, Drivers, Office, etc) but its assembled and running Vista Ultimate x64 nicely so far
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #98
peoplessi

Very balanced system for that price.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #99
Phayzon

Indeed. I'm quite surprised at how much horsepower is there for only $400.

EDIT: Theres also plenty of breathing room for the future. It's Socket AM3 compatible (in fact, the CPU in there is AM3, just a DDR2 board) so she can go for any of the quad core Phenom IIs, and it's also a Crossfire capable board if she wants to add another HD4850 or just buy a higher-end or newer card in the future.
Last edited by Phayzon; 07-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #100
Telee

Grabbed this 1100w power supply for $110. WAY more power than I'll need right now, but I couldn't resist for the price
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #101
Jiminator

never heard of them, all of the typical 1000+ watts are rectangular, not square, however I am sure it will be fine for most purposes.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #102
Inanimate Carbon Rod

From my perspective, if a power supply isn't modular it isn't worth buying.

Telee - I also would have gone for a better brand. Cheap does not always = good. In fact, in regards to power supplies, cheap/odd brand often = crap.
Last edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod; 07-31-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #103
Jiminator

i looked up a review on one of their products. it was kind of ok. some other sites do dedicated testing with tools that apply a load and then look at the efficiency at different temperatures and also how clean the resulting power is. didn't see any of those. No doubt the PSU can probably handle 600W or 700W, a sli system, 3 drives, but I would not want to put any more in it. The issue with the short form factor psus (compared to the rectangular 1000W PSUs) is that there is not going to be much room for cooling heatsinks. as a result the higher the draw the more the efficiency will drop making 1100W very doubtful.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #104
Telee

Already canceled the order shortly afterwards, reviews on newegg seemed fine but apparently Apevia's PSUs are shortlived and I don't want to run the risk of the thing blowing up inside my PC.

Guess I'll stick with the Antec EA650 for now.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #105
Phayzon

650W is fine unless you're running Dual-GPU cards in SLi or Crossfire. I have a Silverstone 650W and its running a C2Q 9550 and HD4870s in CF
Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #106
Telee

I'll be running a Phenom II X4 955 with a single GTX 275.

I do plan on overclocking the CPU, though.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #107
Phayzon

650 is more than enough for that. I had an OC'd E8400 and HD4870+HD4850 CF running off 530W Its when I went for a 2nd 4870 that 530 wasnt enough, although only under near-full load so I'd say maybe even 550W wouldve done it.

Also, my C2Q now is OC'd.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #108
Telee

Hm, should I stick with the Antec EA650 or go with a PC Power & Cooling 750w?

650w is all I need, however PCP&C is regarded as one of the best PSU manufacturers...
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #109
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telee View Post
I'll be running a Phenom II X4 955 with a single GTX 275.

I do plan on overclocking the CPU, though.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=88&p2=47

The i7 920 can be overclocked at least a gigahertz. But oh well, this is your mistake to make.

The PC+Power and Cooling 750 has received good reviews. Antec today is really hit or miss, and the powersupply you referenced is a miss.

I can't stress this enough, buy a modular powersupply. Your case will breath easier and look a hell of a lot better.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #110
Telee

Seasonic seems to be a good PSU manufacturer, I'm looking at this 600w modular power supply. A bit pricey, though, when I can get a Corsair 750w for the same price.

Might go with the Seasonic for its 4 +12V rails and modularity would help with airflow.
Last edited by Telee; 07-31-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #111
Inanimate Carbon Rod

I own the 600watt seasonic. I've had it for at least a year.
A little more money gets you the 700watt because it has a rebate.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

I would go on newegg and search for power supplies that are modular and have 4+ 12v rails and organize the results by rating (pay attention to the number of ratings for the positive amount).

My knowledge as to what power supplies are good are limited to when I do research for when I need to purchase one, which was some time ago.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #112
Telee

Getting the 700w puts the whole rig at just about my budget.

Guess that settles the power supply, then. I don't need that much power but a 700w would leave me with some room for the future.

Also I'm going AMD because an i7 build is too high over my budget and the 955 will suit my needs anyway.

EDIT: How are Thermaltake's PSUs? This one in particular caught my interest.
Last edited by Telee; 07-31-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #113
Simon Charles

Got my new monitor today. Asus VW266H. Looks great except one thing : no drivers. Windows doesn't recognize it, the packaging doesn't come with a CD and the Asus website doesn't have anything.

Anyone knows a reliable place to download these drivers? Don't want to end up installing crap.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #114
Jiminator

monitors should not require drivers. i mean they might help for certain purposes (color profiles?), but the computer should get all the resolutions/frequencies supported directly from the monitor. is that not happening?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #115
Simon Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
monitors should not require drivers. i mean they might help for certain purposes (color profiles?), but the computer should get all the resolutions/frequencies supported directly from the monitor. is that not happening?
No.

Edit : Yes, when lowering from the insane 1920x1200. I briefly saw Windows detecting it as an "asuswv266h" but then I changed the resolution and it became a 'plug and play' monitor.

-Hercule Poirot
Last edited by Simon Charles; 08-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #116
Rider

Got me an R4 and 2 Gig MicroSD card this week. It's a lot of fun.
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #117
Simon Charles

From Phayzon's recommendation in my screen thread...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236047

Godly intercourse defecations, this screen is beaufitul. Incredibly vibrant colors, bright light, and farking HUGE! 26 inches. My games have never been so much in-your-face.

Only bad thing is the integrated speakers, which sound tinny and cheap. Also, they're in the back so they blow the sound out away from you. You can't hear shit.

Other than that, for an all-in-one device, this thing delivers tons.

-Hercule Poirot
Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #118
peoplessi

Well, it's still a TN panel but I'm glad you are happy Good for gaming nonetheless.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #119
Simon Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Well, it's still a TN panel but I'm glad you are happy Good for gaming nonetheless.
It's a what?

-Hercule Poirot
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #120
peoplessi

You can read the differences about panel types on the internet. Not going to reference them here

About PSU's. Seasonic = Corsair and OCZ = PC Power & Cooling