Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #401
Devastator

Re: Enhancing Duke's Spritely Apearance part 3
I've never drawn this textures, so do not say this @%$@ "thank you". Something went wrong with my hdd and i accidentally found them in my root directory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 417.jpg (67.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 800_2.jpg (69.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 800.jpg (150.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #402
carlito_zg
I like this photo realistic textures!!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #403
Plagman

Stop being a smartass. Those rules exist for a reason and I certainly don't want to see the HRP shut down because you decided otherwise. Someone authored the original tiles and didn't surrender his rights on it like you're willing to do on your own art, meaning you can't use it as a base for your own work and redistribute it because it would violate a shitload of laws.
Please be cool and redraw your textures without using the original art in any way.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #404
NightFright

Of course, textures need to be drawn from scratch. Original files may be used as a pattern but may not appear in any way in the texture itself (i.e. partially copied etc). Considering this, we cannot use that #805 texture, too. Stuff that is not done by yourself is non-original.

And, for chrissakes, don't start ripping stuff, especially not from famous people like Giger. Such work is easily recognized and usage would jeopardize the whole project, just as Plagman has pointed out.

@0815jack:
Don't write "texture 0xxx" into your defs. It may cause problems. Remove any zeroes before actual texture number, that's just for file names. And the whole thing goes to highres/sprites/effects.
Last edited by NightFright; 03-17-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #405
Devastator

Well than okay if i go and register 16777216 paintings, each one 1x1 pixel, of all the different colours RGB format can dispaly, than NOBODY will ever have right for any digital artwork.
This rights are no more than imagination. Do trees or land belong to somebody?
If you really think that every your work belongs to you, then answer me did you born yourself to say so? Say thanks to god(or whatever you call it) that you were born with arms and eyes.

Stop this egoisticall bullshit like, famous unfamous, my art your art, my rights your rights, smat and unsmart.
I thought HRP is free, non-commercial project, not some kind of slavery.
If it is not than i'd better leave out.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #406
Radar1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
This rights are no more than imagination. Do trees or land belong to somebody?
If one buys a peice of land or a tree, then yes, it does belong to him. And how can you say that these rights are no more than our imagination? Every single texture in the original game has been copyrighted and 3DR has the rights to them. Not until Duke3D is released as freeware can we do whatever we want with the textures in the original game.

Quote:
I thought HRP is free, non-commercial project, not some kind of slavery. If it is not than i'd better leave out.
Goodbye. If your going to have an attitude like that, then just leave.

And even if the HRP is non-commercial, it is still licenced and copyrighted by a GNU licence agreement.
Last edited by Radar1013; 03-17-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #407
Devastator

"If one buys a peice of land or a tree, then yes, it does belong to him. And how can you say that these rights are no more than our imagination? Every single texture in the original game has been copyrighted and 3DR has the rights to them. Not until Duke3D is released as freeware can we do whatever we want with the textures in the original game."
Oh really, they did stole names.mid from microprose's game, they did stole Giger's textures and you say we cannot? You gotta be kidding.
Rights are only on paper and only in your mind, no more no less. Their existance is not absoulute, goddamit it's so simple.
Frankly saying rights = nothing.
But of course if you've licensed your project you have to follow you rules and pray for your rights, and i can't deny it. That was dumbest idea i've ever seen! EVER! To license and screw a project that had to be free, ridiculous!
Goodbye then
I'd create my own hi-res pack with beer blackjack and whores
Last edited by Devastator; 03-17-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #408
Plagman

You're a moron. The rights on the original Duke3D art DO exist and CAN be enforced and 3DRealms WILL issue a cease and desist and/or sue the hell out of you if you decide to shit all over them because you're some kind of communist hippie. The HRP may be a non-commercial and free project but Duke3D certainly wasn't.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #409
Devastator

"3DRealms WILL issue a cease and desist and/or sue the hell out of you if you decide to shit all over them because you're some kind of communist hippie."
So what? Fear is not an argument. Agression is not the argument, and blaming is no argument.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #410
Plagman

Did you notice we're on 3DRealms official message boards?
The reason this project exists in the first place is that 3DRealms released the source code for Duke3D and allowed the HRP guys to proceed as long as they didn't violate their original copyright on the Duke3D art.
There's no fear involved, it's just how it works.
If you want to start the totally hardcore underground rebel ninja HRP that doesn't give a shit about rules and copyrights, go ahead. But not here.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #411
Radar1013

Quote:
So what?
All the work that has been put into the HRP will all be for nothing because then 3D Realms will get pissed and the HRP would cease to exist.

Quote:
Rights are only on paper and only in your mind, no more no less.
If it's only in ones mind then how do you explain people getting sued in real life.

Quote:
But of course if you've licensed your project you have to follow you rules and pray for your rights, and i can't deny it. That was dumbest idea i've ever seen! EVER! To license and screw a project that had to be free, ridiculous!
Well, i'm not sure why the HRP was licenced. I geuss it's because if it wasn't licenced, then someone would take it and copyright it and make money off of it when we did all the work. But i highly dout anyone would do that. I've seen a lot of stuff on the internet that hasn't been licenced and no one has copyrighted it and started selling it.

That raises a question. Why was the HRP licenced?

Also, Devastator, learn to quote.
Last edited by Radar1013; 03-17-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #412
Lightning Hunter

I have a great idea guys! Lets talk about reasons to ignore copyright violations and steal from 3D Realms right in their own forums! They'll never find out!

/end sarcasm
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #413
Devastator

I got your point guys, it's very pity that you've chosen this way.
But really, for what reason did 3dr freed duke, and why hrp was licensed?
Last edited by Devastator; 03-17-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #414
Lightning Hunter

I agree with Devastator... It's too bad all this original content had to be made without ripping graphics straight from the game. Yes, a shame indeed. I think I'll go open up the original textures and run some photoshop filters on them right now, and release my own pack.

/end sarcasm
Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #415
Radar1013

Dude, when we were arguing with Devestator, we were arguing using facts and reasons, not just making fun of him out of nowere.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #416
NightFright

Devastator doesn't seem to have noticed 3DR is very attentive regarding their property. We can be glad we are allowed to recreate the art AT ALL. There are rules, the game is still sold, we cannot just do what we want. If one doesn't accept it, (s)he should not be surprised that their contributions are not included in the project, if not worse.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #417
Plagman

Quote:
But really, for what reason did 3dr freed duke, and why hrp was licensed?
3DRealms didn't "free" Duke. They only freed its source code, but the art and levels and sounds and stuff remain their exclusive property. They did it so that ports like JfDuke and rancidmeat would get developed and would allow people that own Duke3D to play Duke3D on lots of different platforms without too much of a hassle.
The HRP was licensed because all of its art is mimicking the art in Duke3D, which involves 3DRealms intellectual property. The HRP license is here to make people understand that they can only use the HRP contents alongside with Duke3D because it has 3DR copyrights all over it (for example the character Duke Nukem is copyrighted, and a third party can't just model Duke Nukem and say that the model is free to use anywhere just because he's willing to release his own rights on this model - the model still represents a character which belongs to 3DR).
Old 03-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #418
Devastator

Well that's pity, really.

3dr textures are mimicking reality, we mimick them therefore we are to mimicking reality, who has copyrights on our reality?
If i born with appearance of duke nukem, and made model of myself than i violate copyrigts, eh?
Well, there's no point in this discussion, hrp is factically a slave. If you've stayed free, presenthing all textures just for nothing in exchange, anonymously, there'd be no such copyright bullshit. YOU STILL HAVE A CHOICE. Godbless you have it! Free hrp and erase everybody's name under it and you'll have no forbidding chains!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #419
NightFright

That's utter crap. You need game files (well, at least one) for the HRP to work, so it can never be as "free" as you demand. And doing as you propose would violate about almost anything stated in the included license files.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #420
Radar1013

Deep down, i can see Devestators point in the matter (he PM'ed me). But still, copyright is a real thing in life and he needs to respect it or else bad things can happen. Like getting sued, etc.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #421
PimpUigi

OK, guys...it's a shame.

Now STFU and accept it's a shame, and follow the rules.

We can all accept it's a shame.

So what's the fuss?

And don't make me go quoting Stevie Wonder again.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #422
Lightning Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpUigi View Post
OK, guys...it's a shame.

Now STFU and accept it's a shame, and follow the rules.

We can all accept it's a shame.

So what's the fuss?

And don't make me go quoting Stevie Wonder again.
You do know I was being sarcastic, right?

Ok, no more posts from me on this topic. I couldn't help myself before.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #423
Tea Monster

3D Realms were very nice to release the source code for DN3D. They didn't have to. They layed some ground rules down first, and as we are on their forum and have all benefited from the release of the source code, we are happy to abide by them. Ask all the 'Blood' and 'Redneck Rampage' fans how 'unreasonable' 3DR have been.

People don't believe in copyright until it happens to them. What if it were your original creative work that someone used with the attitude of "So What?"

3D Realms are very protective about their copyright. Ask the host of people who have been shut down for violating it.

Waltzing onto their website and announcing "So What?" when asked to respect their copyright on the game they created is really dumb.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #424
Devastator

You can't copyright the reality, that's it, let i be sued tortued and killed, but i won't give up this idea. Copyright is no more than just you imagination. If artist thinks "I did draw this, and i will sue and kill everybody who will use my work" - than he is no artist but just a drawing machine, that's pity.

Quote:
That's utter crap. You need game files (well, at least one) for the HRP to work
What is this one file, and what if we create such file?

Finally, where can i read rules or license or whatever concerned with release of duke suorce? And where can i read license for hrp? (dont ask to dl full hrp - i cannot because of traffic)
Last edited by Devastator; 03-18-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 AM   #425
KaiHanshen
Quote:
You can't copyright the reality, that's it, let i be sued tortued and killed, but i won't give up this idea. Copyright is no more than just you imagination. If artist thinks "I did draw this, and i will sue and kill everybody who will use my work" - than he is no artist but just a drawing machine, that's pity
Bullshit, if the artist wants so, HE WILL.
Now STFU & start making your own textures.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 AM   #426
Devastator

i cannot - maybe somebody draw one red pixel, and i may violate his right by drawing this red pixel too.He will sue me, i will loose my money and hrp will be ended. First i need to learn all the copyrighted artworks made for the all history in order not to vilate somebody's copyright.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #427
The Commander

This is really the most stupid agument ive read in awhile on 3DR I wish you would all shut it and just keep on working on the HRP.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #428
Devastator

Have somedody posted links to licenses and it would be over. If you want you can hear even more such arguments, go on and tell me what's wrong with this argument.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #429
The Commander

Because this is just going to get the HRP Team no where and end up closing and loosing this stuff altogether. Thats why its wrong, so I highly recommend just droping the subject.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #430
0815Jack
back to topic ...discussing issues that are clear for years ans cannot be changed is senseless

btw... i have started working on the reactor spark 580....

i know the orignal sprites have a more spikey und not so soft border.....but till now i havent found out how to recreate it....

critism welcome
Attached Images
File Type: png 0580.png (13.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png 0581.png (13.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png 0582.png (14.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png 0583.png (13.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #431
Devastator

If you are using photoshop, try Filter - Brushstrokes-spatter - this will make small nice distortions, and use tiny 1-2px brush to add variety between shadow and light areas.
Last edited by Devastator; 03-18-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #432
0815Jack
thx for the help Devastator

i have PS and will see what i can do

does anyone know the german word for "Brushstrokes-spatter" ? Could It Be "Malfilter"-"Spritzer"?
Last edited by 0815Jack; 03-18-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #433
NightFright

Don't forget glowmaps! And the word you are looking for would be... errr... "Pinselstrich-Spritzen"?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #434
Devastator

Brushstrokes-spatter isn't a single word, it's submenus Filter -> Brushtroke -> Spatter.
What is glowmap and how should it look like?

Tell me are dark areas underlying metal structure are bright enough to be visible? (I've got unfixable problems with gamma)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1136_unfinished.jpg (67.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #435
Piterplus

Devastator: THAT one I like. It is bright enough, no more light needed.
Phrase about glowmaps was directed to 0815Jack, not to you.
Glowmap, simply speaking is the additional layer with only part of the texture or skin drawn, which will be brighly lit even in dark eares. For example eyes of the monsters, or some switches etc.
Last edited by Piterplus; 03-18-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #436
Hellbound

Looking good!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #437
Devastator

One thousand one hundred and thirty six.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1136.jpg (50.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #438
NightFright

I don't wanna know how you created it. Let's just use it! *LOL*
Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #439
Devastator

I hope hrp already has beter one , but nevertheless - 796
Piterplus, thanks for explanation of glowmaps, i asked because i didn't know about them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 796.jpg (101.8 KB, 47 views)
Last edited by Devastator; 03-18-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #440
NightFright

Well the one we currently have is just 256x256, so I guess this is usable.