Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #41
CHFlagg

Re: Prey 2 discussion thread
I would love to see an option for co-op on Prey 2. This game is great and as I don't care for the deathmatch game play. A chance to play co-op with even just one other person would be nice.

www.abundantcarepackages.com
Old 10-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #42
peoplessi

My thoughts:
- good story
- good leveldesign
- more puzzles / more variation

Those two first points are obvious, but still I really enjoyed Prey, and I want to see what happens next. I am hoping that well see Prey 2 in not so too distant future.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 AM   #43
Malgon

Shit, I haven't posted in here for a few months...

Anyways, for me Prey 2 should have these things:

-More detailed and slower paced story exploring Tommy's character after the demise of the sphere
-New and different weapons, with punchier sounds, and a more solid feel (and preferably more than 7 of them)
-Varied environments such as rainforests, cities and other strange alien architecture
-Extensive use of portals, so they really prove to be mindf*cks (providing that they fit logically into the story)
-Different and maybe more complex use of spirit powers. I'm guessing that Enisi will `complete your training' allowing you the use of other abilities
-and to top it off a harder difficulty (meaning smarter A.I.) and longer play time (Prey took me 9 hours)

All of that would make Prey 2 seem that much stronger. Don't get me wrong I had fun with Prey, and the second half of the game really picked up and made up for it imo, but overall the game wasn't as fulfilling as I'd hoped it would be. I'm sure HH is listening to the constructive criticism offered by the fans. Here's hoping it works out good for all of us.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #44
Maniac536
For me I'd be happy with what could be considered "more of the same". I think Prey hit the perfect nerve with it's balance of action, interactivity, story, and everything else.

You could make Prey 2 with no innovation at all, and still have a pretty decent game (but it wouldn't be EXCELLENT, just DECENT since it was pretty much more of the same)

So the key word is now evolution, or at the very least progression. You have to take what worked and move it up a notch.

Different varied enviroments are definatly what comes to my mind. Move from world to world, even have an earth level or two, that's all fine.

You can also get away with cinematics if you want, I happen to like cutscenes. Also making machinima would be a lot of fun.

Of course there would be new cherokee powers, it would be fun (and good for game progression) if new powers unlocked themselves during game progression (during really tense story moments like the brilliant "Enisi I'm ready now!" scene), to add variety to the game.

-Maniac

Old 11-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #45
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
My only suggestions for Prey 2 would be..

-DX10
-Physics engine (agiea)
-Smaller splash damage on RL
-A little bit faster gameplay
-Better Multiprey

and yeah, that's pretty much it... maybe dropping some weapons, and adding a few... or adding a new vehicle..
In short, you want a game that everyone has to upgrade to Vista and get a physics card to be even able to handle the bare minimum.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #46
Snowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayskobfssae View Post
In short, you want a game that everyone has to upgrade to Vista and get a physics card to be even able to handle the bare minimum.
I'm sure there could be a DX9/10 version
You don't have to buy a physics card, heak, I don't even have one

I would also love to see better AI... I think that was something missing in Prey, all the enemies would do, is stand there...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #47
wayskobfssae

Good A.I. is something that lacks in a LOT of games, unfortunately. Honestly, I could deal with a game that had no visual improvements whatsoever if I could get a game with genuinely intelligent A.I. And I don't mean monsters that shoot with 100% accuracy, but actually can develop strategies. A lot of the trouble with A.I. now is that when in involves line of sight in a complex environment such as the kind of maps we see now, complex A.I. can easily get itself confused. It would be one thing if a map was nothing but the basic corridors (then all you need is a maze algorithm like Pac Man and the ability to point and shoot) but in a terribly detailed map, the A.I. has to take into account every single polygon in a map. Even a tissue box becomes a factor in calculating an attack strategy. All those calculations add up very quickly, but most processing power for games now is put primarily into graphics.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #48
Mblackwell

Quote:
Even a tissue box becomes a factor in calculating an attack strategy. All those calculations add up very quickly, but most processing power for games now is put primarily into graphics.
That's because it's better to create AI that's simple and relatively predictable for the designers. It also makes it easier to test and fix problems. It's fairly easy to program AI that's simple but fools the player into thinking it is more "intelligent" than it actually is. It's much harder to make "smart" AI that always does what you want it to.
I want it to be free, I want it to be true

Eduke32.com : The Rejected Applications : The Meadhall of the Comitatus
Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #49
Adabiviak

Good heavens - some of you are asking for Prey 2 to be written on the Crysis engine with HL2's portal tech (that will still work on DX9). Do we know that the sequel will definitely be using their modified Doom3 engine? That probably rules out dynamic portals and Crysis-caliber environments (interactivity and detail). If Human Head implements all this, I wouldn't expect to see the sequel for several years.

If they're using the same engine technology, I'd like a stronger report from the acid gun. I thought the other weapon sounds were fine, but the 'shotgun' should have a stronger sound.

I didn't think the AI stank - F.E.A.R. has perhaps some of the best AI I've played against, but compared to most of the games available, I find that Prey's critters were up to par. For example, the flying harvesters were some of the funnest fights I've had in a while. The fodder or mutilated humans aren't supposed to have brilliant AI, and frankly, they shouldn't. I don't recall too many fights with other enemies in areas where their AI could be really shown off. To really see good AI, the level has to support it. If you put a character into a closed room with an enemy, a couple of pillars to hide behind doesn't leave many options for the AI to shine. Implementing this into every single level is a bit much, but if you present us with a pitched battle, make the level such that the enemies' AI can shine.

I'm content with their previous environment choices - people complained about Halo's environments and that game had a huge variety (beaches, jungle, alien compounds, alien warships, human warships, snow, canyons, rolling hills, etc.) Prey's storyline I don't think would have lent itself to this variety of environments - there wasn't much to be done on earth about it other than basically the scene we saw at the bar, but that scene would have replayed basically the same at a different environment. If we were putting up a resistance, that would be a different story, but the idea here is that the Sphere came and just started sucking people up. You can get sucked up in the Louvre, downtown L.A., or a reservation bar, but the story takes place on the Sphere. F.E.A.R.s environment was very very limited, but it rocked because the level design combined with the AI was done well. Whatever you do, as long as your level design is okay, the environment can be whatever fits the storyline.

I'm always down for more enemies. Painkiller had a different batch of enemies on every level (with few exceptions). That's a tall order, but would be, I think, appreciated by all. Weapons? It's hard to think of truly unique weapons (that aren't different versions of, say, the shotgun.) The Needler from Halo, Snarks and the Hornet Gun from Half Life are a couple of good examples that don't fit the mold exactly yet are fun and useful in gameplay. I thought Human Head did a good job of using a rational amount of 'standard' weapons themed for the game. The alt-fire of the Launcher in Prey was a pretty unique change, which put a twist on gameplay that I hadn't experienced before. I'd experiment with a new weapon type perhaps, but I thought the weapon selection in Prey was fine.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:14 AM   #50
wayskobfssae

Regarding F.E.A.R. just think about the kind of monster PC you need to run that even close to what it's meant to be. We're talking about a game that expects you to use volumetric shadows to help you determine where an enemy is. To play that game the way its meant to be played, you need a 100% top-notch PC, dual video cards AND a physics card. F.E.A.R. is the ultimate slap in the face to anyone who can't afford an Alienware PC (or spending just as much on a custom build that costs just as much).

I suspect we'll see more environments in Prey 2. Tommy is being taken to see... something. I'm not sure what, but I suspect it'll be something equivalent to the "Great Spirit." I think Prey has the potential to bring us to places that few games or films have touched on before. The hybrid of sci-fi/mythology has never been done quite like this. Stargate SG-1 comes close, but that makes ALL spirituality to be just a ploy, which in Prey it isn't. It opens the door to amazing 'divine' beings and astral dimensions.

New weapons? I don't know how much more you could really add. The leech gun covers a lot of bases. Some more magickal powers would be cool though. maybe Tommy can learn how to do that forcefield thing that Inishi does when he's fending off the invasion. Might be cool for Tommy to trade the wrench in for a good old-fashioned Tomahawk too. With ample time to prepare himself for more battles, he could further immerse himself in his heritage. Only question is, would that take too much away from the tough Duke-esque 'biker-indian' that we know in Prey 1?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #51
John

My only "suggestion",- enough with the spaceship levels and onto the city/earth levels.

Let not mankind bogart love.
[A pessimist is what an optimist defines as a realist.]
Old 11-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #52
Kien

- Longer game.
- No Doom3 looks-all-the-same-everywhere levels. Everyone hates it!
- One or two more weapons.
- More use of the whole spirit concept. More advanced puzzles. Perhaps some part of the game where you are in spirit form all the time.
- Changes to the spirit mode during the game. Somehow grow more powerful over the game.
- Keep the comments from Tommy! I havn't heard such since Duke3d!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 AM   #53
Parkar

Quote:
Regarding F.E.A.R. just think about the kind of monster PC you need to run that even close to what it's meant to be. We're talking about a game that expects you to use volumetric shadows to help you determine where an enemy is. To play that game the way its meant to be played, you need a 100% top-notch PC, dual video cards AND a physics card. F.E.A.R. is the ultimate slap in the face to anyone who can't afford an Alienware PC (or spending just as much on a custom build that costs just as much).
What? I ran the game at the highest quality on a athlon xp 2400 with 1gb of ram and a 6800gt (~30-60fps). Also a physics card would be useless in FEAR.

Edit: Sorry for the OT post.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #54
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkar View Post
What? I ran the game at the highest quality on a athlon xp 2400 with 1gb of ram and a 6800gt (~30-60fps). Also a physics card would be useless in FEAR.

Edit: Sorry for the OT post.
Same RAM, P4 3.2Ghz, only thing I'm lacking is the high end video card, mine is an FX 5600. I get a framerate of around 5-10 unless I play the game at minimal quality, with pixel doubling and no shading and it looks almost like I'm playing the Dos version of Doom 1. My friend has the same setup as me, upgraded his card to a 6900gs, but still can't play with the high end detail. FEAR does use physics, just not in a way that really impacts the gameplay at all (yet you can't disable it). The particle effects all use physics, and I have to assume it also uses it for the beer cans and soforth when they're getting kicked around.

It's ok, not really an OT post since system requirements are a big deal with game sequels. For example, we're all just praying we don't need to upgrade to a Cray when Duke4ever comes out.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 AM   #55
Parkar

It's not the fact that it uses physics or not that makes a physics card useless or not, it's the fact that the game don't use it for physics even if you have one installed. I assume you mean a 6800gs and not a 6900gs since there is no such thing as a 6900 AFAIK anyway. I should probably add that I didn't have soft shadows on when running as they look like crap and is a huge performance hog.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #56
Snowy

I would like too see a lot of battles on earth... fighting in cities like Downtown Dallas/Houston/LA/NewYork... having the buildings partially broken (like windows broken, parts of buildings blown up, seeing the steel structure)... but deffinitly not make it how Halo's buildings were.. all grey... make them look very realistic...
Then I think it could (potentially) be cool, if you could get transported to a gas giant planet (ie Jupiter, Saturn some other one etc), seeing the sky, storms etc.. idk... it could be a good idea

Oh, and of course, better AI
Old 11-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #57
Snowy

Ok... just got back from playing some Prey Multiprey... this is what I'd like to see...

-Make the starting weapon more powerful... honestly, its useless, unless you're fighting another person with it..

-Make the rocket launcher less powerful/smaller splash damage... Do I really need to say more? If you spawn, and have the starting weapon, its hopeless.. same with most other weapons...

-Make the gernade in the gernade launcher (don't know what its called.. the one that came off the enemy's arm in single player) less powerful... pretty much the same thing with RL... you don't really have a chance, unless you have a different weapon than the starting one...

-Land Veichals! w00t! This would make Prey awsome, and more team based!

-More Open maps! Having some kind of alien "blood gulch" map in Prey, where you could make full use of one/two land viechals.

-John Carmack's mega texture technology.. if you take my "open maps" suggestion to heart, I think John's new stuff will really add a special "flare" to the sequel.

-More Gametypes! You can't expect anybody to make a mod for these in Prey 2... several reasons... 1, nobody has done it in Prey... 2, You need a large audience for people to start making mods/people using them... With the not so good MP (to alot of people, I like it), it will be really hard to get alot of people playing in the sequal's Multiplayer, since the first one was a flop.. You'll need more than just Death Match to get people playing, AND STAY playing.. Some game types like... One Flag CTF, Two Flag CTF, Assault, King Of the Hill..

-Aliens vs Humans Death match... yeah... just a small detail.. wouldn't make the game that much better, but it would be a nice addition...

-Some smaller details... for example.. in the single player, the crawlers (I think that's what they're called... the gernades) would rome around... but in MP, they would just be hovering there.. I'd like too see them walk around in MP too! (yes I realize that just this would not make the game any better... but alot of small details will.)

-Multiplayer needs to be a bit less "choppy"... What I mean by this, is when you change directions when walking, (well, more when you view somebody else change directions) they change extreamly quick... it almost looks like they skipped a process in moving their legs... don't really know how to explain it.. but when you're strafing from side to side, you can move from left to right in a flash... idk how to explain it...

-Better net code!... do I really need to say more?

-Better AI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, please please. Having enemies just stand there and shoot at me was a little difficult the first time.. but got a bit old.

-Longer Single player! Prey had an amazing SP, but I think it could have been a bit longer (ex. 15+ hours)

-A bit faster multiprey! I would like to see the speed of walking in multiplayer up, just a tad.

And please remember...
-The single player and multiplayer do NOT have to be exactly alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In order for the multiplayer of a game to be successful, usually, you have to change a few things from single player! Please keep that in mind!!!!

I think that's it... if I can think of anything else, I'll edit my post or something.

Please take the suggestions to heart!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #58
Duke's New Chainsaw

The 7(?) trials. I would have liked that in the first game before they invaded the LotA with a better build-up on the relationship of Jen and Tommy.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #59
Dr.Dude

Lightbulb Re: Prey 2 discussion thread
I think for Prey 2, they really have to make a world and enviroment completely different from that of Prey.

A big part of what made Prey so amazing was just how alien the sphere was... it really seemed like something so completely different from our world because of all the little innovations the game had in it, from gravity flips to wallwalks... if Prey 2 just showed a similiar world, it would feel too familiar and lose that sense of alien-ness... it needs to show something weird and alien, but it should be alien in a completely different way from both Earth and the sphere, and should stand out in it's own unique way.

But even with all the differences, definitely keep those portals around.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #60
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke's New Chainsaw View Post
The 7(?) trials. I would have liked that in the first game before they invaded the LotA with a better build-up on the relationship of Jen and Tommy.
What if each sequel was a trial? A tribe's and its teachings for every game. But yes, Tommy and Jen needed a better build-up. I didn't like the way it ended, mainly her last line (pre-credits).
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 12-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #61
Wolfman [TWP]
Linux support (port)

Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #62
Antosa

there is any news about HH about Prey 2 at this link:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...php?id=152092:)

Video: Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Old 12-20-2006, 01:32 AM   #63
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

HH Speaks on Prey 2.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/12...ey-2-features/

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 12-20-2006, 05:48 AM   #64
hiob

I think the whole Interview is a very interesting read. I'm really looking forward to what HumanHead is going to come up with in Prey 2.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #65
doogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHFlagg View Post
I would love to see an option for co-op on Prey 2. This game is great and as I don't care for the deathmatch game play. A chance to play co-op with even just one other person would be nice.
I'd also love to see a co-op option, on the PC. There aren't enough PC fps games that implement co-op modes. The original Doom, Unreal and Quake 2 could do it, why not newer games?
If bedroom programmers can make co-op Doom 3 work, why can't the actual game designers?!?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #66
Snowy

How about an alien shot gun?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #67
Nacho

The thing I'm seeing in a lot of "alien" games is alien versions of human weapons. For instance in Prey you have a bug that is a grenade. Ok, it was cool I admit but why not make alien guns that do something completly new instead of making an Alien shotgun or an Alien Rocket Launcher.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #68
MakronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
The thing I'm seeing in a lot of "alien" games is alien versions of human weapons. For instance in Prey you have a bug that is a grenade. Ok, it was cool I admit but why not make alien guns that do something completly new instead of making an Alien shotgun or an Alien Rocket Launcher.
That is something i have never thought of..... seriously it is
Old 12-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #69
Kalki

And it's funny because Apogee's games usually had uniquely memorable weapons. Look at ROTT or Raptor for examples. Duke and Shadow Warrior had to retain certain conventions set by Doom but they had cool weapons too. Max Payne had to be 100% real-world. But Prey because of its setting was better placed to shine in this area, really take it to a weird new place and have fun. I agree with Nacho. Doesn't live up to their legacy for their games to have genre-dictated weaponry, especially when so many other games are doing it too. Prey 2 ftw?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 12-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #70
Snowy

co-op?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #71
SpinX

-i would like to see even more emotional contact with the game...
it was very well done in the first, now that some things cant happen to tommy anymore, i hope that they will add new elements that would angry,love or trouble/confuse tommy more...
and hell yeah, i loved the anger part of the game!
-jeremy soule for part 2 aswell!
-better AI
-make more puzzles, with more attention to interactivity, give the player a real reason for doing it right, think it through, if he fails 1 time, 1 person dies, if another go and wrong again, another innocent dies...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #72
hanged_man

- Better AI
- Better weapons sounds (Seriously hire Trent Reznor for this ...i think he's a god in this field ...listen to doom3 alpha sounds, they're just the best)

I think that's all
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #73
Babe

I want these things :
1. Longer gameplay, please no more 10 hours gameplay. Thats way way waaaay to too toooo toooooooooo short.

2. More varied envioronments, not just everything inside a space ship.

3. Much much more higher level of enemy AI. The AI in Prey is way to short considering it was coming long way after games such as Far Cry , FEAR and HL2 were released.

4. More big alien bosses. The big boss fights were too few to quench the thirst of a FPS gamer in the original Prey 1. Painkiler is a real good exampl of huge bosses. But they were paranormal bosses , not aliens. Would want more huge, more ugly looking, more awsome looking alien bosses.

5. Bit more engaging storyline.

6. Why not make wall walking possible throughtout the space ship rather then in only activated "pathway" sections ? That will add something really extra to the game playing strategy and game content can be made to suitably match to it.

I was also reading some previews of Crysis today. Inside the alien mothership in Crysis you have to fight the aliens in a zero gravity situation. Was wondering why the developers of Prey didnt implement such a thing in Prey 1. Anyway would be kool if a zero gravity fight sequence with aliens are done .
Old 01-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #74
Snowy

As mentioned in my previous post, I would like to see some battles on Earth... maybe have the Alien Organic stuff, slowly growing, on earth, killing everything... Just think of an organic wall in Prey, and put it on a sidewalk in NYC, growing on a building, eating away at it...

I dunno if you can imagine it like I can, but I think it would be really cool

*edit*
I'd like to see this gun in Prey2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6&q=PREY&hl=en
(The first one he is using, shoots out like 3 portal beams)
And when you see him run around, I think that's about as fast as MultiPrey should be

*edit again*
I'd also like to see better 3rd person models... as in Enemy Territory Quakewars, you can see the person actually switch weapons (clearly, putting the pistol back into the holster, and taking out a gernade)

Thanks,
-Snowy
Last edited by Snowy; 01-04-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #75
kewlceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superevilcube View Post
YES!!!

The ship looked awesome, but it got kind of boring only being in the ship. I would have loved a possible Earth level (or something else).
How did you find time to feel bored?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 AM   #76
MeatWagon

Well I'd like to see a few things with Prey2. More twisted and insane environments, especially with a more supernatural feel. Even more Inspiration from Native American mythology, evil spirits, possessions etc. Alien Mythology and supernatural as well. I found levels were a bit too linear, I hope they are made a lot more open. I'm not necessarily talking open ended, just make the level path a lot wider instead of funneling the player down long bottle necks and give us the freedom to explore a bit. I was a little disheartened by the interactivity. It was excellent at the start but it didn't last through the whole game, so some consistency there would be good. More gore please!!! I loved how you could blow chunks off those slave guys, its a shame that this didn't apply to all enemies. Let us play with the ragdoll bodies. Half the fun with ragdolls are watching them fall down steps or from high places and tumbling around, being able to pick them up and throw them around would be great fun. Finally, it would be fun if Tommy had a spear that he could use as a melee and a projectile weapon.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #77
Foxy
*Deeper/Crazier portal/gravity puzzles. I thought these were underdone in Prey. I thought up a load, like:

A lift shaft with a portal at the bottom that exits at the top of the shaft. You fall in from the lift shaft entrance and it's a bottomless pit. 'aaaaah'. To get out you activate a portal in the middle of the shaft that leads out.

A boss that you have to defeat by arranging portals so that a mega-destructive energy beamed is channeled through them towards it.

*Better combat.
*More level variety
Old 01-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #78
Foxy
Quote:
Gerritsen: At one point, we had it so they could possess you, as well as the children. But it was hard to convey in first-person. What would happen was, you'd be forced to Spirit Walk, so you'd leave your body and the ghost would take your body and run away with it. It was pretty funny, but to people play-testing the game, it just felt like a bug so we had to take it out.
Hahahahaha, that sounds friggin hilarious! It was cut? Whhhhyyyy?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #79
MakronMan

hmmm howbout some doom 3 engine rendered water?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #80
Mannak
--Instead of fighting Aliens, why not Extra-Dimensional beings or Lovecraftenesque creatures?

--non linear gameplay

--and lastly, drop the Hollywoodish ingame soundtrack from the 1st game and have something more fluid....
Last edited by Mannak; 01-21-2007 at 11:30 PM.