Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #1001
alandog

Re: High Resolution Pack discussion thread.
quite frankly, I'm hoping that someone will still go on the models like before, not that I'm not interested on the new renderer, but it could take a very lot of time and work before reaching the actual size and quantity of models... moreover, most people still don't have a top notch pc (like myself), and won't be able to use the renderer correctly.
that's why I think that it's better to finish the rest of the models, and eventually bring on a new "hrp detail model pack or whatever" separately...

oh, and escapist, don't let this bad event bring you down, we are patient you know... and we still want to see you at work again
Last edited by alandog; 04-26-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #1002
The Commander

There is still a few models that need to be converted from MD2 format to MD3 for the new render.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #1003
Blade Nightflame

Guess there's still the issue of lighting up the original maps then. I know that Plagman's working on E1L1 as is.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #1004
chicken

@escapist: I'm feel really sorry for you, man. Hope to see you back in business in some time!

I have right now taken a break from modeling. I want to see how it all works out with the new renderer, how to make normal maps and all that.
Ah yeah, and i have to buy a new machine first, the one i'm using is 7-8 years old.
But i'm mapping at the moment.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #1005
Tea Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Heh, I'm hoping everyone's secretly working on Million poly models of everything to create the ingame models off of
I actually WAS, until everyone said "Don't bother" so I moved on to other projects.

If you check my last post, the models of a game such as Doom III aren't too far above the level of detail we have in the HRP at the moment. It should be possible to "LOD-out" ( ) some lower poly versions of what is created for the NG-HRP (Next Gen HRP) for the 'regular' HRP.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #1006
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Monster View Post
I actually WAS, until everyone said "Don't bother" so I moved on to other projects.
IMO you should just keep at it. It may not be feasible yet, but once the Polymer release gets out, it'd be awesome if there was one already "truely NG" model ready to be put in. Probably'll get the new content flowing as well.
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #1007
Tea Monster

I've been waiting 2 years to make a NG Duke critter, so yeah, I'll be making something. But I did get involved in another project (actually 2). And I have to finish that up first.

I was going to start with either a new Cycloid or the Enforcer.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #1008
DeeperThought

Quote:
I was going to start with either a new Cycloid or the Enforcer.
Is there any possibility we could persuade you to do the liztroop instead? The Cycloid and Enforcer are already the two best enemy models, so you would just be making an already good model better.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #1009
Parkar

Just a little heads up if there are anyone out there thinking of starting on a highpoly model. I started on the Pig Cop a few years back and it's pretty far along. It has a decent highpoly base and a modeled, uv mapped and rigged lowpoly model. Whats left is detailing the highpoly and doing the textures.

I'll probably get to work on it again once we have normal mapping on models. If anyone is impatient and wants to give the highpoly sclupt ago already I am all for it, just let me know and I i'll send what I have.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #1010
Tea Monster

Cool stuff Parkar! What poly count are you aiming at on the game model?

Deeper Thought - You mean the thing with the black armor and the chaingun with a blade on the bottom? I think we are talking about the same thing.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #1011
Jokke_r

I think he means the "default" trooper enemy, the first one you encounter in the game.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #1012
DeeperThought

Quote:
Deeper Thought - You mean the thing with the black armor and the chaingun with a blade on the bottom? I think we are talking about the same thing.
No, that's the Enforcer (defined internally as LIZMAN). I'm talking about LIZTROOP, the basic weak enemy lizard trooper with a jetpack that is in every level.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #1013
Spiker

In short you have to model a big flying worm with a laser pisol
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #1014
Plagman

I don't know about you guys, but I think the LIZTROOP is vastly superior to the LIZMAN. The LIZMAN skin could use a lot of work in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #1015
3D Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagman View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I think the LIZTROOP is vastly superior to the LIZMAN. The LIZMAN skin could use a lot of work in my opinion.
Are you crazy? The LIZTROOP is a pile of shit, sorry to say. It's too big, it's too bulky, it's head is too large and too square. It's skin is far too bright, it's ffing fluorescent for chrise' sakes. Compare it too the original and you see it's different in every shape and form. The original is narrow, has subdued almost camouflage colored clothes, and it's head is that of a lizard - elongated - it's in essence a cousin of the enforcer or the LIZMAN. Someone should make a comparison picture of the LIZTROOP as they did for the Enforcer and you can see the vast differences.

The LIZMAN in contrast, is practically perfect. It's skin is a little too bright, and it could use a tweak here and there, but it is essentially it.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #1016
Spiker

To resolve the dispute let's remodel and reskin both
Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #1017
3D Master

Starting with the LIZTROOP since it needs it more.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #1018
Tea Monster

More than likely, ALL the critters will get re-done. I personally prefer the Liztroop to the Lizman.

I don't think anyone has done a NG-HRP thread yet, but here is the normal map for the pirate ship texture 2920.

Last edited by Tea Monster; 05-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #1019
3D Master

Uh, shouldn't those be in the/a texture thread?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #1020
Parkar

Quote:
More than likely, ALL the critters will get re-done. I personally prefer the Liztroop to the Lizman.

I don't think anyone has done a NG-HRP thread yet, but here is the normal map for the pirate ship texture 2920.
Seems like the texture has mixed up axis which makes it look really odd. IE up and down is left and right. At least thats what happens in crazy bump when I load it there.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #1021
Parkar

Quote:
Cool stuff Parkar! What poly count are you aiming at on the game model?
He is at 2036 polygons at this point but I think we could go as far as 3000 if needed.

Here are a few shots using the current plain texture and normal map from the "unsculpted" highpoly version.

Edit: looking at him again I can seee a lot of things that I would like to change., bigger muscles and try to make the head shorter again to name just two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PigCop_normalmapped.jpg (8.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg old_newer_newest.jpg (14.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg high_04.jpg (17.9 KB, 84 views)
Last edited by Parkar; 05-03-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #1022
Piano Man
Also... (And I say this as someone who couldn't model to save their life, but does love the Duke 3D Game so VERY MUCH)

Also... if you can try and make the bottom of the trousers ripped on the new pig, because aren't the Pig Cops supposed to be mutated Cops? Makes them look more trungent... and the ears should be pointed (or pointier)

Also I think the snout needs to be shorted to match the original... but other than that - it's looking fricking brilliant.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #1023
Jokke_r

Some points of improvements i'd like to suggest on the new pigcop.

1. He needs to be more "hunched" ie more of a bulge on his back
2. Arms slightly shorter.
3. Eyes meaner, bigger brow.
4. Shorter face with a slight underbite abd bigger teeth.

Face could be a bit more like the action figure:

http://www.3drealms.com/actionfigures/images/pigcop.jpg

meh i like to nitpick Keep up the good work.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #1024
moggimus

Shorten the nose and make the eyes more sinister like the original.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #1025
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano Man View Post
Also... (And I say this as someone who couldn't model to save their life, but does love the Duke 3D Game so VERY MUCH)

Also... if you can try and make the bottom of the trousers ripped on the new pig, because aren't the Pig Cops supposed to be mutated Cops? Makes them look more trungent... and the ears should be pointed (or pointier)

Also I think the snout needs to be shorted to match the original... but other than that - it's looking fricking brilliant.
The pants will be ripped by using the alpha channel.

Overall he needs a bit more character.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #1026
movento

Parkar,did you use a sculpting program for the highpoly version?
If not,it could really use a zbrush/mudbox pass for some more details.More defined folds and muscles and such.
That picture jokke_r posted is a good example.
What is the texture size btw?
Is there a new stripper model needed? i have one laying around (with normal and specular maps) that i could edit a bit.It's is around 5000 triangles though,with a 1024x1024 texture.
Here's a picture of it(warning nudity)http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8345/vrouw3dmarmo.jpg
Old 05-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #1027
3D Master

All of the strippers except for the original one with the opening bra need to be redone as far as I'm concerned. I've seen the newer stripper models and they look like drag queens; especially the S4 XXX-Stacy level ones.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #1028
gt1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by movento View Post
If not,it could really use a zbrush/mudbox pass for some more details.More defined folds and muscles and such.
Is there a new stripper model needed? i have one laying around (with normal and specular maps) that i could edit a bit.It's is around 5000 triangles though,with a 1024x1024 texture.
Here's a picture of it(warning nudity)http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8345/vrouw3dmarmo.jpg
That looks pretty good. If you remove the hat, add a bra, change the hair and iflate the boobies a bit, you have a great base model for all the babes and strippers in the game

BTW, how's your Duke model? Could it be used as well?

"There's no Photoshop filter for talent!" - HotShoe, S&D
"One day when I get rich and win the lottery I'll buy the rights to DNF and finish it myself." - Yatta
Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #1029
movento

I made a bra for the model,it kinda sucks and the texture for it is not done though.
How should i change the hair? Do you have some examples?

And yes,you could use my duke model if you want to.It is also around 5000 tri's and uses 1024x1024 diffuse,normal and specular textures.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 AM   #1030
Parkar

Quote:
Like I said the high poly model is not finished and has not gone through any sculpting yet.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 AM   #1031
Roma Loom

Quote:
Among NGHRP thread it would really be neat to see something like perforce or svn thingy for the textures and models (though I'm not sure if the connection ports will be opened for me here at the office - but it would help other people to keep everything clean and simple)... just because I'm really interested in upgrading all my textures I have the source for to a new requirements.
Also it would be helpful if people start posting their diffuse/gloss/normal/glow maps in a zip file along with a jpg preview for all the stuff in the package.

i.e.
download #4304
preview
Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #1032
3D Master

Quote:
I made a bra for the model,it kinda sucks and the texture for it is not done though.
How should i change the hair? Do you have some examples?
The jaw of the "babe" is too wide. She looks like a man. The shoulders are also too wide.
Last edited by 3D Master; 05-04-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #1033
Tea Monster

Parkar - That is looking good. I don't know if you meant to make it more 'real' looking as opposed to the cartoony look of the sprite. To make it more like the sprite, the head has to have a more 'pyramid' shape, with the mohawk and the back of the head curving up to nearly meet the points of the tusks. The face needs a lot more attitude. You should already be able to see the hate in his eyes.

Movento - I really like all the subtle colors and anatomy on the skin. The only thing I would suggest changing is the face. It would benefit from a bit more petite-ness.

Roma Loom - That is a great idea. Having the original textures, and then the latest one beside it would be wonderful. If I had web hosting, I'd set something up. Besides, I've got no knowledge of java coding, which I suspect would make a project like this a LOT easier than HTML.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #1034
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma Loom View Post
Among NGHRP thread it would really be neat to see something like perforce or svn thingy for the textures and models (though I'm not sure if the connection ports will be opened for me here at the office - but it would help other people to keep everything clean and simple)... just because I'm really interested in upgrading all my textures I have the source for to a new requirements.
Also it would be helpful if people start posting their diffuse/gloss/normal/glow maps in a zip file along with a jpg preview for all the stuff in the package.

i.e.
download #4304
preview
We do have a SVN repository for the HRP but so far only me, my brother and Nightfright have been using it. It's located at home so I am not to willing to post the url publicly (I want some of the bandwidth for other use ). I am thinking we could include a few more people with access as a core team for the polymer HRP as a possible way of working. I am all ears for other sugestions though.

I am guessing the number of people who are capable of contributing is going to be a lot smaller then then for the current HRP so it might make sense to build up more of a team rather then just everyone submitting randomly.

Edit: Using something like SVN would be real nice due to all the def code that needs to be written. Much easier if the authors can just commit their updates rather then have me or Nightfright have to do a lot of copy pasting.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #1035
Plagman

If need be, I can host a public SVN server for HRP use.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #1036
alandog

woah, looks like something big is going on here!
my 2 cents about the babe: I generally like her shape and skin, but the face doesn't fit well and, more important, the boobs need to be bigger (I have to add this statement on my signature )!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #1037
Rider

Quote:
QFT.

I think your model is really coming along Parkar but I feel that actually sculpting the model will result in a lot of detail (muscles, facial) that would make it look a lot more "current gen". The Doom3 models can attest to that!
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #1038
NightFright

@Roma and any others willing to provide normal textures:

While it is really appreciated you guys are already making normal map stuff, releases should probably be delayed until we actually have support for it in EDuke32. If you start posting them now, it would create too much confusion. It confuses me, at least. IMHO, right now, we shouldn't replace existing textures with ones that only look good with normal mapping enabled.

I'd suggest we wait for normal map support, and then a few guys work together on a collective pack which provides all normal maps at once (or at least specific parts at once, e.g. characters, props, textures etc.). This way, people like me would be much less worried about what can be added and what not.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #1039
Roma Loom

Sure.. It was just an example... My gloss texture doesn't meet the standards defined in the wiki.. Color glossmaps still scare me I'm used to greyscale glossmaps and I don't know how to define all this extra stuff to test in polymer build I grabbed somewhere... So don't take this seriously
Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #1040
Jokke_r

Besides, normal maps could and probably should be like half the size of the diffuse texture, would save loads of memory and not compromise quality all that much. But thats a matter of opinion really.