Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #161
Kristian Joensen

Re: The Prey 2 Discussion thread
Prey was resurrected in early 2001, it was unveiled in April/May 2005. So yeah, 4 years.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #162
Nacho

As much as fans would love some more solid proof of a sequels exsistence HH are playing it smart by telling you nothing.

That way you don't keep asking, "where is it?".
Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #163
Deep-Space Warrior

We just have to wait. Be calm and so on.

Prey can't get out just over night. Look at Far Cry. Firts part came out in 2004, And the second part will be relased next year, in spring. 4 years people! 4 years!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #164
Geir

Y'know what I want?

A different way to get rid of dead bodies... just so 3DRealms could write about the restaurant moment again in their weekly journal.

I also want multiple weapons when spirit walking, I found that there could be a lot of stuff added to this... And also maybe the enemy could detect the spiritwalker when Tommy has a lot of physical stuff that he grabbed in his SW session.

Better particle effect: rocks need to turn into sand and just wash away with the wind of something...

The ability to use dual core, multi-processor and 64x processor machines to the max; as well as handling SLIed and\or Crossfured cards to the max.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #165
Kalki

A separate spirit walking arsenal is a good gameplay suggestion. Tomahawks, spears etc. but they should have different damage types to be distinguishable (explosive, piercing) or give you more interactive abilities Spoiler:
or work better against certain enemies(angry spirits that follow you through deathwalk).

Also summoning friendly spirits like your ancestors who help you manipulate physics objects on your direction, like a gravity gun. You can actually see them moving stuff but only in spirit walk and they wave and greet you. And summoning more spirit creatures temporarily like the cougar, moose and wolf to attack nearby enemies.

Vehicles: Some kind of alien mustang, which helps you ride a robotic bison that you hang on to but can't control.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #166
Colicedus

Dam, If Tommy was any more powerful, he would just about be like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYI4PNX65jE

Ideas for the spirit walk weapons:
Bow: alt fire could be putting two-three arrow onto the bow before firing it.
SW melee weapon: Axe/Tomahawk, its slices, it dices!

later on in the game, you could have a spell/weapon/musical instrument that allows you to cast the spell, Spirit wave encore!

Its like a big bfg, getting shot cancels the spell, hold down primary attack to power it up. Its effective against 80 enemies or more, and boss battles.
Secondary fire, makes all spirits in sight obey.

Costs tones of spirit energy, and when the BFG is used, you can not take the spirits of the fallen, as the other spirits have done that for you.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #167
Marty

i'd much prefer it if you kept Prey 2's story personal like the first. just like movies, its much more immersive and realistic if the characters are thrown into these strange situations but at the same time developing their relationships and having their own character revelations within these unusual turn of events.
i tend to be put off that feeling when it becomes too broad and too many different elements are thrown into the pot. for example, i'd hate it if tommy had the assistance of the military to fight the aliens like with Quake 4.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 AM   #168
Colicedus

Why not the choice of evading a group of enemies to figure out a puzzle, to then take up Higher ground, that way you have a choice of killing those people, or later if you left them to live, it changes the story a fraction.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #169
Deep-Space Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colicedus View Post
Dam, If Tommy was any more powerful, he would just about be like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYI4PNX65jE

Ah yes, Hellsing... I have watched some parts from that cartoon. Not bad, not bad!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #170
Nacho

The ability to posses people while in Spirit mode would be cool. Sure it would probably only be to get by certain areas undetected, or to gain access to unexcessable areas or secrets but it does fit into the story and could add to it.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #171
Colicedus

who needs a yucky hand when you got the posses ability?
I think that there should be a way the enemy can combat that and regain control over there body, and some enemies should be able to posses you if you can possess them.

One thing I like about Prey was the tactical use of ranged weapons, however, Now that we have seen the abilities of some weapons, I would like to see a larger variety Melee weapons with more tactical uses.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #172
Deep-Space Warrior

Ow, ow, ow, one more thing:
(i hope nobody posted this already). In Prey 2, i would like to have more then 2 difficulty levels. The easy one is tooooo easy, and the hard one is tooo hard for me. No spirit walk, you die faster... bljah... i came only to the 4th level, i think.

So, devs, please, more difficulty levels!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 AM   #173
Colicedus

I also stress, if its more to do with Out doors rather than indoors/the Sphere use less mechanical thingys and more natural thingys.

I also stress, Multiple Endings!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #174
dan2091

The Prey 2 Discussion thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
The ability to posses people while in Spirit mode would be cool. Sure it would probably only be to get by certain areas undetected, or to gain access to unexcessable areas or secrets but it does fit into the story and could add to it.
That's a great idea, never came to my mind and it would be great, then act as a silencer, nice.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 AM   #175
Colicedus

one thought that came to me (for those of you who have had out of body Experiences or believe in such stuff)

The spirit walk has a Silver cord that connects Tommy to his body.
Enemies with spiritual abilities (there have got to be some in P2!) can cut this cord. you loose all your spirit energy, and you have to go back to your body manually to enter your body once more, you cant just press the Spirit walk key again to enter your body.

Also, you can cut other peoples Silver Cords to piss them off...
If you inflict damage to the body, it dose not force them back.
For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, read this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_cord
Last edited by Colicedus; 08-28-2007 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Cause I can!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #176
Deep-Space Warrior

Before i read the article i really didn't have no idea what were you talking about, but now when i read it, i have even less idea what you meant!
Njah, i can live with that...
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #177
Colicedus

Ok... Um...
When in spirit walk in Prey 1, you can press the spirit walk button to go in and out of spirit walk.

I thought of an Interesting idea that would make one vulnerable.
Some enemies in Prey 2 could have some spirit walk powers as well.

One thing that They can do is cut Tommys Silver cord, the means of making easy transportation of ones spirit back to there body. because this is cut, it makes his body vulnerable to attack! when the Silver cord is cut, you don't simply Instantaneously, when damaged, come back into your body!
Instead you must navigate your way back and walk though your body to reenter it.

is that clearer?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #178
Deep-Space Warrior

Much clearer yes, thanks!

But that is veary heavy complicated, don't you think?
I mean, so much manuvers to come from spirit walk to the body?

But i respect your idea!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #179
Colicedus

Thats the thing, you want to try and avoid having your silver cord getting cut.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 AM   #180
Deep-Space Warrior

Sounds fair enough.

I wonder who will be Tomy's ''teacher'' in the second part...
Tomy had so beautiful chick and now... no more...
Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #181
Kalki

I always thought Elhuit (the Priestess) was hot. The only character I wanted to get to know. Which is sad, Prey 2 needs more NPCs.

I like Nacho's possession idea (but it is somewhat dark), as well as the silver cord concept which ought to be useful in multiplayer.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #182
Colicedus

Maybe Jean will return...
We don't know...

I do hope that Prey 2 is not a level to level game, and more like a persistent world. I can imagine a bunch of Pioneers that have come off that space parasite, entering to a new world.

considering the thyme of Native Americans, There would be Parries, and Deserts and all sorts!

So much Power! I can do anything!
RAWAWAWA!!!! CHAINSAWS FTW
Old 08-30-2007, 06:00 AM   #183
Deep-Space Warrior

Devilish Re: The Prey 2 Discussion thread
Ah, i know one thing. I can't wait for Prey 2, so i'll go back to Prey 1 and play it once more.

''In which direction i need to turn in the third level again?'' ''I just can't the throught that wall''
Old 09-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #184
Johny82
Ok, so what should be Prey 2 like? (in my opinion)

From a technological point of view:
Many said it before me. I'd like to see better AI and more enemies (bigger variety). I also wish to have more interactivity (damage stuff like monitors, lights, turn on and off useless things and so on). At the beginning of this thread someone mentioned Vista / DX10 only or support for Ageia.. well, please do no do that Support do Dx10 ok, but not "only". And as for Ageia... I personally think PhysX is useless. So it would be a waste of energy to program a support for this.

From a gameplay point of view:
Again, I will be mostly repeating others. More portals would be nice. More ideas in Spirit Walk (someone mentioned "possession" - it is not a bad idea. We had an interesting game called Messiah, it has very interesting gameplay based on "possession") But on the other hand, I don’t think it is necessary to invent many "weapons" in Spirit Mode. Bow is enough I think. Just do not overcomplicate things.

From a story point of view:
Well. Personally I'd like to see that the Sphere survives I already mention it in other threads, I just think that "an Indian destroyed the whole ancient civilization" is quite stupid, and completely unreal (unreal even in context of an unreal game). In fact, Mother's behavior was crazy as well. You know, there is a super hero killing everyone in sight, and she will invite him to her chamber and let herself killed So I'd prefer e.g. a different story at the beginning, and for example return of a Sphere in a half of a game - then we might have some levels on surface of destroyed (or converted) Earth, as someone as well wanted ;-)

(I really wished to contact someone from Humanhead / 3DR when I finished the game, but then I realized it is quite impossible, so I just spitting my ideas at least here) ;-)
Old 12-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #185
jtthedude87

In my opinion I think Prey 2 should have better A.I., more portals, More weapons during spirit walk (such as a tomahawk), more wallwalking, better multiplayer (I enjoyed prey's multiplayer when people actually played it), and most of all BOTS for multiplayer.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #186
Deep-Space Warrior

But serious, how long will we need to wait for 2.part?

I know, i know, the 1st part of the game is only one year from released date, and it's not possible to make so awesome game so quick and so on, and so on...

Would i be so impatient if i wouldn't like the 1st part and looking forward to 2nd? I think not...
Old 12-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #187
Altered Reality

Quote:
Well. Personally I'd like to see that the Sphere survives
I don't. The point of the first game was to destroy the Sphere. If it returned, it'd make the whole first game totally irrelevant.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #188
Malgon

Has there been anything out of HH recently? It almost seems as if they have fallen off of the Earth! Let's hope they're buckling down hard on Prey 2.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #189
Colicedus

I think Tommy Should be able to use Close combat attacks other than Pipe wrench with another key (Q or E), and there Should be FBA in the next game.

Also, More interaction with NPCs.
Last edited by Colicedus; 12-07-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #190
jtthedude87

I would like screenshots but it's probly way to early for that. How long do you guys think it will be before we get our first look at the game?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #191
Snowy

Depends if HH is using the Doom3 engine to make Prey 2 or another one.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #192
Nacho

HH could very well be using the Doom 3 engine again though it would probably be heavily tweaked or they could be using an in house engine.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #193
jtthedude87

I wouldn't mind having the doom 3 engine again. I like the look it puts off. Dark and Creepy.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #194
Deep-Space Warrior

Or they could make totaly it's own engine, like Far Cry 2 will...

If they will stay in corse from Prey 1, and little upgread, it could involve into another very great 1st Person Shooter... Khmm...
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #195
Snowy

I still think Prey is one of the best looking games, even compared to newer titles.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #196
Hudson

It's by far the most optimized version of the Doom 3 engine ever released
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 12-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #197
Colicedus

Wow, look at that Polygon on that Shadow!
(myself on the Doom3 engine)
Prey Spins me Right round, right Round like a Record...
(Everyone on Prey)
Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #198
Malgon

Just finished playing through Prey again a couple of days back.

On topic though, FBA will (hopefully) become the norm in FPS' so I'd say it's pretty likely that HH would implement it into Prey 2.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #199
FatherMackenzie
I think Prey had a lot of good ideas but didn't really go anywhere with them. I repeatedly found myself thinking, “OK, this is different, but it's still boring.” The worst part of the game was the combat: fighting Hunters, over and over again, with boring weapons and no tension (not being able to die was boring, but the game was too hard without Deathwalk). When the worst part of an FPS game is the combat, you've got a problem.
But that's what sequels are for!
Suggestions (Some of this is restatement of what other people said):

-Better AI. I don't know if this is because of the game's “adaptive difficulty,” but the AI was pathetic. This is 2008; making good AI shouldn't be that hard.
-More interactivity. The environment just sort of sat there. The game should have a good physics engine--I know they're probably going to use Id's new engine, but it should be as interactive as the Source engine.
-Better weapons. Like the environment, they just sort of sat there. Where's the recoil? Also, better sounds and proper explosions would be nice.
-Some penalty for dying. My idea is that Death Walk should require some level of spirit energy, otherwise you actually die.
-More enemy variety. You fought hunters too often.
-Better use of portals. The portal wrench is a great mod, and Altered Reality (another mod) uses portal wrench puzzles to good effect. Having something like that in the game would be good, rather than just using portals as doorways.
-More interesting/diverse Spirit Walk. I almost never used Spirit Walk for combat, and it's essentially just a tool to find hidden areas and go through force fields. Maybe the new enemies can enter the spirit world, and you have to fight them there. Maybe you have multiple weapons in Spirit Walk that are more effective in certain situations than your physical weapons.
-More common use of subjective gravity. Walking on any and every surface would make the linear levels a lot more interesting.
-A longer game, obviously.
-Radar on the shuttle, so you can see where enemies are (in combat, I was usually blinded by explosions and had no idea where enemies were).
-Possessing people in Spirit Walk. Whoever suggested this is a genius.
-Co-op. Everyone wants this, as far as I know.
I just got this game recently, and nobody seems to be playing MultiPrey anymore, so I have no idea how it is or how to improve it.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #200
glennman94

- Co-op mode
- Better multiplayer with: capture the flag and that kind of shit
- 2 times as long story mode
- Crysis engine (I think when it is out I can run it on my pc) (I hope so)
- You can make your own portals Like in the game Portal
- More Gory game play